Raikan007's Tactical discussion & help thread

its more to do with the team instructions than individual instructions, ask the Fb to play through balls sometimes :)

Hi guys, i was hoping someone here could give me some pointers in adapting the way i like to play on games such as FIFA into a tactic which can be employed with reasonable success on fm.

So i guess i should list my prerequisites...

- 3-5-2
- Slow tempo
- Short passing focussed on midfield
- wide players serving as overlapping support runners rather than out and out attackers/defenders
- heavy possession bias
- passing focus on central players

I've tried myself to create something using the tactics creator however i often find that scoring chances become few and far between, and although i may not concede many either, it feels as though the one or two chances that i do give away are almost always very good chances. I have also considered that it may be due to differing styles in different nations/leagues however it seems no matter where i try to employ it, i always get the same outcome.

hope you can give me some feedback and pointers.

Hi guys, i was hoping someone here could give me some pointers in adapting the way i like to play on games such as FIFA into a tactic which can be employed with reasonable success on fm.

So i guess i should list my prerequisites...

- 3-5-2
- Slow tempo
- Short passing focussed on midfield
- wide players serving as overlapping support runners rather than out and out attackers/defenders
- heavy possession bias
- passing focus on central players

I've tried myself to create something using the tactics creator however i often find that scoring chances become few and far between, and although i may not concede many either, it feels as though the one or two chances that i do give away are almost always very good chances. I have also considered that it may be due to differing styles in different nations/leagues however it seems no matter where i try to employ it, i always get the same outcome.

hope you can give me some feedback and pointers.

hey mate :) playing in Fifa and playing in Fm is like water and oil :) you will not be able to do what you do on Fifa for so many reasons, mainly because YOU are controlling the player and can make decisions yourself on the go!

post a SS of your team instructions and I can try and help you out :) I suggest not playing with 3 Cb though, especially not in England/Spain :)

Hello, Raikan.

I was wondering whether you could help me with an effective tactic for the R. Madrid squad. Past playing experiences in the previous version of FM have led me to conclude that they tend to lay on a lot of attacking pressure, usually with futile results. 23 shots, but only 3 touched the back of the net, for instance.

I was looking to go for a 4-5-1, in order to make full use of the talented midfield R. Madrid already has set up, but a lone striker usually ends up being totally shut out or not getting shots on target due to immense opposition pressure. Any suggestions to go on? Thanks in advance.

Hello, Raikan.

I was wondering whether you could help me with an effective tactic for the R. Madrid squad. Past playing experiences in the previous version of FM have led me to conclude that they tend to lay on a lot of attacking pressure, usually with futile results. 23 shots, but only 3 touched the back of the net, for instance.

I was looking to go for a 4-5-1, in order to make full use of the talented midfield R. Madrid already has set up, but a lone striker usually ends up being totally shut out or not getting shots on target due to immense opposition pressure. Any suggestions to go on? Thanks in advance.

hey mate, I would play 4-5-1 with an Amc :) Kaka!

Make your wingers Inside Forwards - Attack, retrain Ronaldo to Aml naturally and the same for Di Maria as Amr :) play quick and wide with a normal d-line on Balanced and Attack :) change to fluid after about 15 games or so!

have Alonso and Diarra in the centre controlling things, Alonso should play a very direct passing game, if not long while Diarra short and simple for distribution to Kaka and Alonso :)

Higuan/Benzema upfront as Poachers

Hey buddy, I'm wondering if you could help me devise a formation.

My main goal is to create a highly creative all out playmaker at the MC position who bags a lot of assist.

I'm currently using my "delta formation" more commonly known as the christmas tree formation (3 mcs 2 amcs 1 striker). However I have my MC set as a deeplying PM (defend) and sometimes he plays a bit too deep to help in the final third. I'm afraid if I push him up higher I will concede goals.

I've tried using the MCr and MCl with defensive duties but they aren't as effective defensively as an MC with the same instructions. I also didn't like how the two outside MCs didn't contribute much to the attack which would occasionally make my attacks fizzle out.

Should I push the MC up and deal with lack of cover? Should I switch to a 5-3-2 which would provide more defense and still allow me to have my MC playmaker? Should I try a formation with one DM right behind the CM (seems awkward)

Danke

Have any of you tried playing possession with Tottenham? I am trying to figure out if there is any way to keep possession and still win the match. I've had time whereby I had a lot of possession but failed to score goals. Then I had time whereby I scored goals but couldn't keep possessions. I'm using classic tactics.

Hey buddy, I'm wondering if you could help me devise a formation.

My main goal is to create a highly creative all out playmaker at the MC position who bags a lot of assist.

I'm currently using my "delta formation" more commonly known as the christmas tree formation (3 mcs 2 amcs 1 striker). However I have my MC set as a deeplying PM (defend) and sometimes he plays a bit too deep to help in the final third. I'm afraid if I push him up higher I will concede goals.

I've tried using the MCr and MCl with defensive duties but they aren't as effective defensively as an MC with the same instructions. I also didn't like how the two outside MCs didn't contribute much to the attack which would occasionally make my attacks fizzle out.

Should I push the MC up and deal with lack of cover? Should I switch to a 5-3-2 which would provide more defense and still allow me to have my MC playmaker? Should I try a formation with one DM right behind the CM (seems awkward)

Danke
hey MOntanaro :)

the xmas tree provides to much congestion in the middle of the field.. If you were to make the Am's Inside forwards running at the defence from just outside the box (run from deep, run with ball often, cut inside or move into channels) that could free up a little space for your Playmaker Cm to get involved...

in the 3 man midfield, the central Cm needs to be the playmaker (who is the main playmaker you use?) if you play short then I suggest making him a Adv playmaker - support/attack (leave the PI's as default for a while and make changes throughout the game until you see what best suits his stast and PPM's, if he has any)

if more direct then use a Dlp, but if you want him to get forward then I suggest not using that! I would set the other two Cm's to my Carrick role found on Might and Magic (please feel free to use the exact settings etc for your own tactic) it operates really well on defence but can also start a move! just leave everything to never except through balls which need to be sometimes, give them normal mentality and normal freedom, cross from deep and hold up ball with a few other settings :)

I find selecting the playmaker in team instructions sort of counter productive, it depends though, the playmaker needs to have the free role: roaming, high freedom, run from deep often, move into channels! sometimes the players will try and look for him in a worse position than a team mate in front of them :)

I hope this helps a bit, if you give me a SS of the player I can try help out further :)

Have any of you tried playing possession with Tottenham? I am trying to figure out if there is any way to keep possession and still win the match. I've had time whereby I had a lot of possession but failed to score goals. Then I had time whereby I scored goals but couldn't keep possessions. I'm using classic tactics.
hey bud, they would be a good candidate yes :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-tactics-training/85231-short-sweet%99.html

try that if you like classic tactics, also you dont have to use the exact tactic, you may edit it change it or even take a few things from it for your own tactic :) feel free to do anything with it :)

hey bud, they would be a good candidate yes :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-tactics-training/85231-short-sweet%99.html

try that if you like classic tactics, also you dont have to use the exact tactic, you may edit it change it or even take a few things from it for your own tactic :) feel free to do anything with it :)

Thanks, but I'm looking to develop my own tactics from sketch. The problem I'm facing now is that - My team have possession, but they can't score goals. The defense is brilliant I assume, conceding only 1 goal in 6 match. Wonder how if I can make my player start scoring, I'm playing with 1 Striker, no winger.

Thanks, but I'm looking to develop my own tactics from sketch. The problem I'm facing now is that - My team have possession, but they can't score goals. The defense is brilliant I assume, conceding only 1 goal in 6 match. Wonder how if I can make my player start scoring, I'm playing with 1 Striker, no winger.

its very easy to keep possession, I can get 4-6 players over 100 passess each if I wanted to but we would not leave our own half :)

you have to sacrifice some possession (passes) in order to get the ball upfield and create chances! give the players more to do than just hold up ball (everything else besides through balls and run from deep sometimes is set to never I presume?)

I find (with my newer possession tactic I dont use a playmaker or TM and I dont use the normal shouts like pass to feet, retain possession, exploit middle etc... I use get ball forward, pass into space, work ball into box :) that really does work a treat, Do not read if you are following my story please :) thanks!
I just beat Inter 2:1 with Ajax last night
:) and also try using a quicker tempo :) not slow!

its very easy to keep possession, I can get 4-6 players over 100 passess each if I wanted to but we would not leave our own half :)

you have to sacrifice some possession (passes) in order to get the ball upfield and create chances! give the players more to do than just hold up ball (everything else besides through balls and run from deep sometimes is set to never I presume?)

I find (with my newer possession tactic I dont use a playmaker or TM and I dont use the normal shouts like pass to feet, retain possession, exploit middle etc... I use get ball forward, pass into space, work ball into box :) that really does work a treat, Do not read if you are following my story please :) thanks!
I just beat Inter 2:1 with Ajax last night
:) and also try using a quicker tempo :) not slow!

Ah, I will try using a quicker tempo. Can you believe that you had possession, you had over 20 shot, but couldn't win the game? [Game ended 0 - 0]

edit: Ah, after I tried increase the tempo to quick, manage to score 4 in the next match, but opponent is controlling the match. Anyway to keep the possession 55% - 60%?

Last edited:
Ah, I will try using a quicker tempo. Can you believe that you had possession, you had over 20 shot, but couldn't win the game? [Game ended 0 - 0]

edit: Ah, after I tried increase the tempo to quick, manage to score 4 in the next match, but opponent is controlling the match. Anyway to keep the possession 55% - 60%?

I always prefer to score 4-0 with only 40% possession rather than 0-0 with 70%... T__T

My opinion, if i may..

Most of the time, when creating tactic, u already know how ur team will play.

-The best way is to choose formation from the default tactic (if not available, pick one the nearest and drag 1 or 2 players to suit ur formation, but not advisable).
-Next is to setup team instructions.
-Then choose the role to assign each player (or leave it as default).
-Do not change player's instructions yet (leave it as default).
-As ur game progress, tweak it by analyzing how ur team play their matches.

One thing i learn from FM12 is, the simpler ur tactic the better it will be.. Cheers...

I've actually decided on a new formation based off barca's 3-4-3.

It still uses the christmas tree formation, except I've got one CB and two SBs with one DM playing directly in front of the CB. If I put the DM at the DMr spot and the CB at the CBl spot, it creates a gap behind the DM that strikers can exploit.

This creates an interesting stopper/cover combo and the DM acts as an extra passing option when in possession. (always had trouble with finding the right instructions to make a CB come forward).

My question to you is, what closing down/tackling instructions should I have for my DM and CB? I once had the DM to close down whole pitch, but he gets dragged out of location (sometimes going to the touchline).

I was also wondering, is it possible if I used 3 CBs if I could get the CBr and CBl to go out wide and act as quasi side backs like Barca does? May have to play around with that as I doubt many people have attempted.

for the Dm, have his closing down on own half, have the Cb closing down 3-5 clicks more so they will end up closing down together in a line sort of a quasi back (4) well 2 cb partnership!

if you want a 3 man cb line, the cbr and cbl could be given move into channels or even hug touchline wide movements which will push them out wide with run from deep sometimes!

I would do something like 3-1-3-1-2 if played as Barca, the two wider cb's should be ball players though to ensure they do not make stupid passes or get caught in possession!

if you have the setup like you have now (well thinking of) with the Dmr and Cbl there could be that gap you mentioned and might not be such a good idea, especially against quick strikers!

what I have done with my tacitc I am using with Ajax is set all my players to close down exactly the same (just on the border of whole pitch and own half, but left on own half) with pressing and zonal marking, this gives the team a very good shape and they work well in closing down passing options and getting possession back! hassle opponents shouts work well with this setup!

I couldn't get the DM and CB combo to work out well.

I'd need a world class CB, it just leaks too many goals. The DM just doesn't do enough defensively.

I'm not sure about the CBr and CBl idea, I tried a little bit, and they really don't act any different from the CB and they leave the flanks too exposed.

I'm working on a new asymmetrical formation.

-----------------ST
------------AM------------AMR
-
-ML-------------MC--MCR
-
------------DMl
-
------------CBl----CBr-----RB

It works similar to barca's 3-4-3. The DML will cover any space left by the ML who roves the entire left flank similar to what alves would do. the MCr is a box to box with a bit more attacking presence. the AMCl acts as a second striker with AMR providing width. MC sits in middle of park and orchestrates the game. It's worked in my final 4 games of the season. See how it does next year.

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with my formation a bit. If possible I do not want to use a free formed tactic. No offence but I like making my own :)

My first team is:

Rooney Hernandez

Nani Hulk
Asamoah Labyad

Evra Vidic Smalling Rafael

De Gea

What I could relaly do with help on mostly is the midfield. What roles to give them, I want labayd to be the primary playmaker is possible, i've trained him to dictate tempo, play one twos etc to help.... Also, would you suggest using Man or Zonal Marking?

Thanks very much, and sorry there is no screen shot but it won't let me post one for some reason (screen just goes white lol)!

Would be much appreacited if you could find the time to reply, thanks

Ollie

thanks i just have to wait for the full game to come out now

Wrong approach?

Hello Raikan. I'm having major problems wit managing AS Roma in FM12. In my first approach, I developed my own tactic (4-2-3-1) and trainig schedules and everything started positive, but not convincing, to be honest. I won pre-season matches against teams I never even heard of, but only and always by 2-3 goals difference. Then I trashed Rapid Bucharest in both legs of the Europa League 4th qualifying round, then Serie A started and from there on it was only a matter of time until I got sacked for bad results, lying in 14th place of the Serie A after 10 or so games and of course after losing Europa League matches against heavyweights Dnipro and such :). 1-2 games before I got sacked I even applied your PurePerfection CCC, but apparently, it was too late.
Ok, so then, I made my homework, I searched this forum to grab everything that seemd to suit my players and started a new game. This time, I grabbed the Road To Glory training schedules and since I have 6 strikers in my squad, I gave this littel tactic here a try: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-training/86449-4-3-3-3-strikers-eriksen.html
And indeed, it became something completely else: I played beautyful football, created truckloads of chances and absolutely trashed unknown teams in pre-season, lost only narrowly to Man City and trashed my Europa League 4th qualifying round opponent. Then Serie A started. I won 1-0 at Inter, 2-1 against Catania at home, drew 0-0 against Juventus (luckily!), beat Siena 4-1 but also lost my EL games against PSG (1-2) and even Stoke City (1-4). Things started to change, though, even during the good results. It's as if the same players that seemed to move so well even against Man City in pre-season, have suddenly forgotten everything. Even though the familiarity of the used tactics is now at 85%, I don't recognize my squad anymore. Drab matches and losses against the lasts of the league table, no more clear chances and even the best ones are just poorly missed. Morale is abysmal, players are playing nervously and in my last three games I got three red cards.
Taking a look at Roma, you might see: the squad is at least acceptable to begin with, the aforementioned training schedules are showing results even after a short period, I hired excelent trainers (4,5 stars), I try to keep press conferences balanced, I usually find the right words for pre-match/half-time pep-talks, so from my point of view, all the good conditions for performance are given. What do you think am I doing wrong?
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!