Raikan007's Tactical discussion & help thread

Okay, thanks for this. And Xabi is my main playmaker? Or should I untick the playmaker box?

Hi Raikan, i've always used your tactics with great success so hope you can help!

I've just started a new save with Chelsea, and I'm trying to create a diamond formation. Flat back 4, Anchorman, 2 CMs, AMC, DLF and AF up front (if that makes sense). Obviously without wingers I need my fullbacks to provide the width and make runs down the touchline, but i always struggle to get them to do that well.

Also, on team instructions should i play wide or narrow? I'm probably gonna play with a high(ish) defensive line, but what would you recommend for the tempo?

Sorry I've never made a diamond tactic before so not really sure what i'm doing, but Chelsea suit it probably better than anyone and I wanted to do something different.

Thanks

Hi Raikan, i've always used your tactics with great success so hope you can help!

I've just started a new save with Chelsea, and I'm trying to create a diamond formation. Flat back 4, Anchorman, 2 CMs, AMC, DLF and AF up front (if that makes sense). Obviously without wingers I need my fullbacks to provide the width and make runs down the touchline, but i always struggle to get them to do that well.

Also, on team instructions should i play wide or narrow? I'm probably gonna play with a high(ish) defensive line, but what would you recommend for the tempo?

Sorry I've never made a diamond tactic before so not really sure what i'm doing, but Chelsea suit it probably better than anyone and I wanted to do something different.

Thanks
hey bud, I made one for you, well a template :) use it if you like to make all the changes you want to it...

I have not tested it at all :) its just a quick template I made for you, based on Chelsea players in the first season :) Raul/Lamps/Ramires can play Box to Box, Essien/Mikel Ball winner, Drogba/Lukaku Target Man, Torres/Sturridge poacher! I would look at getting Darijo Srna/Welder/Azpilicueta/Maicon for the right back position as Ivanovic is not great and Bosingwa lacks defensive etc...

I did not use the Stopper setting for Terry as you have an anchorman just ahead of him who will do all the stopping, if they get past him they will still have the two cb's to deal with who close down together and in line!

good luck, hope it works for you!

View attachment 235544

Hey Raikan. I have used many of your tactics before and am a great admirer of them. Id like some on advice on the roles and player instructions i should use if I was to play a 3-4-1-2 formation. I seem to have the attackers playing well but am constantly leaking goals at the back, I find my wingers dont defend enough and this leaves space down the wings. Could you give some advice to help create a better balance in attack and defence. Cheers.

hey raikans i have some question
1. you recomend run from deep alywas and through ball sometimes. but in your tactic(short&sweet) you tweak run from deep your miedlfield rarely
2. i always failed make my midfield player especially dlp made more than 50pass pergame. how much i must reduce the creativity freedom?
3. i play 4-5-1, which best role for my striker? i use poacher role with pi run with ball often run from deep often(this make my striker looks like selfish player and i use this poacher for made chance and goal)
4. i confused to tweak closing down per player. i watch my team and look my team not good at presuring oppenent. and i think it is one of problem i difficult to make posesion game
5. how can i get my team into triangle pass? must i made all the player mentality same?
please help me raikans.
i work hard whole day but my tactic always failed

Made 600+ passes, 70% ++ Possession, but couldn't find the net. Any idea how?

Made 600+ passes, 70% ++ Possession, but couldn't find the net. Any idea how?

Sounds like run with ball rarely, through balls sometimes/rarely, high time wasting, slow tempo and loads of defensive mentalities with less creative freedom. Means U gotta alter these settings to get something done :)

Ok, im dominating the possession in all my games but all my play is down the left hand side of the pitch, I have defender collect to my Right centre back and my focus passing is mixed.

Any ideas on how to sort this im playing 4-4-1-1.

Ok, im dominating the possession in all my games but all my play is down the left hand side of the pitch, I have defender collect to my Right centre back and my focus passing is mixed.

Well why it cant go through the left side? :) Seems like there is always more space than in anywhere else so ur team looks to build from there. Try passing through middle or right flank then, shud make a difference.

What R the mentalities of ur left side players compared to rest of the team? If U got a more defensive minded Cm next to left flank and then more attacking minded on the right side CM slot, usually defensive minded player opts for easy passes than the more attacking one. What roles U have set ur midfield & fullbacks?

Hi Raikan, I've just started a save with Birmingham city and was wondering if you could make me a 4-3-3 formation with wingers and a holding midfielder that would work in both championship and premiership i tried to make tactics before but they never work and who better to ask than probably the best tactician in the history of football manager! and who would you advise me to sign?
PS. Im using the January transfer update thanks in advance

Hey Raikan. I have used many of your tactics before and am a great admirer of them. Id like some on advice on the roles and player instructions i should use if I was to play a 3-4-1-2 formation. I seem to have the attackers playing well but am constantly leaking goals at the back, I find my wingers dont defend enough and this leaves space down the wings. Could you give some advice to help create a better balance in attack and defence. Cheers.

playing with 3 at the back is very risky in Fm mate!

wingers, tight marking, man, high closing down, team instructions, pressing, zonal!

so many different permutations to consider, but I suggest using 4 at the back!

hey raikans i have some question
1. you recomend run from deep alywas and through ball sometimes. but in your tactic(short&sweet) you tweak run from deep your miedlfield rarely
2. i always failed make my midfield player especially dlp made more than 50pass pergame. how much i must reduce the creativity freedom?
3. i play 4-5-1, which best role for my striker? i use poacher role with pi run with ball often run from deep often(this make my striker looks like selfish player and i use this poacher for made chance and goal)
4. i confused to tweak closing down per player. i watch my team and look my team not good at presuring oppenent. and i think it is one of problem i difficult to make posesion game
5. how can i get my team into triangle pass? must i made all the player mentality same?
please help me raikans.
i work hard whole day but my tactic always failed

1) yeah, its been mentioned before, as I said, they are idea's to consider, not the exact settings :) I have recently changed the Short and Sweet and it plays much quicker, kinda like Barca at the moment.. it has some of these settings

2) its not all about freedom, its about his movement off the ball that allows him to make space for the pass, moves into channels, no running with ball, through balls sometimes, short passing, little freedom (or high depending) no long shots

3) that is what you want though, especially in a possession tactic, get the ball played up to create space for the striker to finish off

4) high closing down settings, pressing, zonal

5) create the triangle yourself by setting the formation around it

good luck :)

Fm12 is very left orientated... try focus down the right to balance it out..

I have got it to spend equal times on either side by tweaking my tactics, there are so many things so I cannot begin to explain them all :0

you can take a look at my Short and sweet tactic and get a few idea's from there by all means, use certain roles/settings for your own tactic :)

Hi Raikan, I've just started a save with Birmingham city and was wondering if you could make me a 4-3-3 formation with wingers and a holding midfielder that would work in both championship and premiership i tried to make tactics before but they never work and who better to ask than probably the best tactician in the history of football manager! and who would you advise me to sign?
PS. Im using the January transfer update thanks in advance

here mate, try this :) made it quickly for you, its a variation of my current 433, the two cm's are a ball winner and Dlp who will look to hold up the ball and also help dictate play, the central Ap is attacking so make sure he is a good player!

good luck! I cannot guarantee this will work at all :)

View attachment 237035

I know 3 at the back is very risky, I have a good 4 at the back tactic and I wanted to try and challenge myself. However I havent had any success. What would you suggest for instructions for my 3 center backs? And should I use your Carrick role for both of my MCs? Thanks for the help man ;)

I know 3 at the back is very risky, I have a good 4 at the back tactic and I wanted to try and challenge myself. However I havent had any success. What would you suggest for instructions for my 3 center backs? And should I use your Carrick role for both of my MCs? Thanks for the help man ;)

yeah, but with more through balls though!

Cover- stopper - Cover

I am a great fan of possession football and I always try to play possession football with every team I play with (Las Palmas, WBA, Rennes,...) Now I am playing with Brann Bergen, but I just can't dominate my matches home and away. I finished luckily my season on the 4th place (at the beginning they were 16th 9 points from 1st place). Here is my formation:

View attachment 237036

I have a few questions:
1) How should I set up my wingers? I can't set them up as inside forwards as I would do it normally, so I don't really know which instructions I should use. I don't really like them to make a lot of crosses.
2) My main problem is scoring goals. I have one of the worst attacks in the league.
3) Another problem is the width, the defensive line and the tempo of my tactic. I changed them throughout the season, but never satisfied me. Normally I play with a very slow and narrow tactic with a high defensive line which hasn't really worked in this save.

I hope you can give me some help, thx