Rooney accepts charge but not ban

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 139
  • Views Views 7K
he knows what he did wrong hense the apology he released straight after the match.

On the whole apology subject not Rooney. Every player who has to apologise for somthing should do it infront of a camera otherwise it means nothing does it.

£500,000 to charity and a warning that he'll get banned if he does it again. Job done.

This. But not sure about the money involved. 500K is very large sum. :)

Whose mistake is that if kids wants to see Granny ******* as their role model?

They see what he does on the field not off it. The same way i look at the situation. He can do whatever he likes off the field i couldnt give a ***** but what he done let himself and many others down.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Not to Rooney it isent.

They see what he does on the field not off it. The same way i look at the situation. He can do whatever he likes off the field i couldnt give a ***** but what he done let himself and many others down.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Not to Rooney it isent.

Your role model logic is severely flawed. Role model is one whom you follow both on and off the pitch,

It's basically a 2 week fine :/ hardly a 'very large sum' for Rooney anyway. wouldn't mind what Mike said with the suspended 3 game ban, but the FA should stick to their guns, people are asking for consistency and that wouldn't really be consistent would it?

It's basically a 2 week fine :/ hardly a 'very large sum' for Rooney anyway. wouldn't mind what Mike said with the suspended 3 game ban, but the FA should stick to their guns, people are asking for consistency and that wouldn't really be consistent would it?

what? the consistency would have not been bringing the charge in the first place... a suspended ban is actually one of the punishments they can ffer so that consistency argument there doesnt hold

PFA Chief Gordon Taylor questions Wayne Rooney charge

Players chief Gordon Taylor has questioned the Football Association's decision to charge Wayne Rooney for swearing into a TV camera after his hat-trick against West Ham.

The England striker was charged with using abusive language and has until 6pm today to indicate whether he will accept the charge - which would carry a two-match ban - or appeal against it.

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Taylor entered the debate by issuing a statement on the PFA website.

It read: "Whilst the use of foul and abusive language is not condoned, there is an acceptance by all parties within the game that 'industrial language' is commonly used.

"It becomes an issue when directed towards match officials. However, when used in a spontaneous way in celebration or frustration then it is not normally expected to merit a sanction.

"If sanctions are to be imposed in such circumstances then this has to be done in a balanced and consistent manner, and participants made aware of this fundamental change in approach."

Completely agree with this.

I read a nice article about this the other day.
This kind of thing has only happened once before, and again it involved Rooney. It was during the World cup. When Rooney was abit angry with the booing from the England fans.
The FA failed/didn't punish Rooney that time. Now they have punished him, they are in quite a bad situation. They either have to admit they were wrong and reduce/get rid of the punishment, or stick to their guns, and be inconsistent with there punishment when it comes to their own personal gains.

Also, CJACKO11 why are you trying to hard to campaign for Rooney to receive 2 match ban? Chelsea players are more deserving a ban then Rooney. What with all their rash challengers.

If he does get banned it's gonna stink to high heaven. Looks like he'll have no choice but to accept it imo, as if the appeal backfires, thats 3 games. As usual, a player is in a no-win situation. The FA have to get this sorted as its ridiculous what they're doing. I don't condone what he did, but the punishment does not fit the crime imo

If he does get banned it's gonna stink to high heaven. Looks like he'll have no choice but to accept it imo, as if the appeal backfires, thats 3 games. As usual, a player is in a no-win situation. The FA have to get this sorted as its ridiculous what they're doing. I don't condone what he did, but the punishment does not fit the crime imo

yeah no one condones it, but they are doing it all for the wrong reason, and the punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime. Judgement wont be published till thursday because of tonights game

yeah no one condones it, but they are doing it all for the wrong reason, and the punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime. Judgement wont be published till thursday because of tonights game

Rooney to get sent off tonight for a flying two footer on Essien? Then on his way down the tunnel he flips the bird at everyone and gives out a foul mouthed rant? Writing his own headlines that lad.

Hes just got a bit of a temper, I thought it was good to see him swear at the camera, shows a bit of passion that he has lacked imo. Obviously swearing wasn't the right thing but you know, shows he is fired up and that he cares about his game as such.

Rooney to get sent off tonight for a flying two footer on Essien? Then on his way down the tunnel he flips the bird at everyone and gives out a foul mouthed rant? Writing his own headlines that lad.

Hes just got a bit of a temper, I thought it was good to see him swear at the camera, shows a bit of passion that he has lacked imo. Obviously swearing wasn't the right thing but you know, shows he is fired up and that he cares about his game as such.

That's the problem I have with football these days. The non-allowance of players to show passion for the sport they love. Wether it was the hyped-up reaction of Rooney, or getting a yellow card for taking off a shirt in goal celebration.

The FA is run so poorly, it wouldn't surprise me if they held up or even extended the ban. I would accept the punishment had he been properly warned (maybe with a suspended ban) when he did a similar thing for England, but the fact that they didn't shows that they have no consistency whatsoever. I fail to see how this is any different to a player accidently swearing in post match press interviews, yet there has been no punishment there in the past?

The FA are becoming a laughing stock. How can Rooney get a two match ban for this, yet receive no punishment for a clear and purposeful elbow to McCarthy's face? If the system doesn't work,change it!

Change would be nice, but don't see it happening to be honest. But I expect to see more stupid rules for next season. The FA are beyond a joke, it's just not funny anymore. Just get rid of the lot of them, and get some common sense in there.

Indeed. I am sure a kid will never, ever accidentally hear their parent swear from a young age.

I don't know whether that's sarcastic or serious, but parents always swear in front of their kids where I'm from, it just happens, nothing bad, just that the kids know when not to say it. If I had kids, I wouldn't mind if they swore with their mates, only if they did it in front of a teacher or someone elses parents, I would go mental at them. It's only what I did as a child. Still now, for me, at 22, I get really uncomfortable around someone I don't know if they are swearing, or I hear someone on a bus swearing in front of children, I still find it hard to swear in front of my dad but every other word out of his mouth is effing this, effing that. But I'm strolling off topic, OT: A charge would have sufficed, he has apologised, he was in the heat of the moment and it's surprising what you do when it happens.

Rooneys ban will not be increased is the latest news. No news wether the ban stays yet though.

Rooneys ban will not be increased is the latest news. No news wether the ban stays yet though.

where you hear this from? the news coming out of United is that we won't find out the FA's decision till tomorrow morning.

Back