• Thread starter Thread starter fm1063
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 334
  • Views Views 17K

Should Rooney Receive a Punishment?

• Total voters
Not for this exact offence.

Good work there.

Wayne Rooney swore straight into the camera. It wasn't muffled. It was deliberate. It wasn't a reaction to anything - it was unneeded and sends completely the wrong message to a generation of young supporters.

no you just mentioned barton with no reference. move on

JDY thats the inconsistency im talking about, that tackle wasnt as bad as the one he got away with. And i bet we dont see anyone else banned for swearing

Look how long it took to figure out exactly what he said, I still can't tell the exact words. I count that as muffled. So young kids are never going to hear swearing at football?

I heard it clearly first time.

And the point is, the intent was there. You can't fine it because he couldn't give two ***** about a little fine. The only way to punish him is by suspension - and that's what they've done. Well done FA.

I'm sure not many had even paid any attention to what he said when it was aired. Then pathetic media played it over 100 times just to make it worse. Complete nonsense.

He got lot of stick from West ham fans even his family. I posted one article that was on Telegraph. That summed up perfectly.

I don't understand how people can defend what Rooney said, I think the FA have got it spot on. Swearing straight at a camera on live TV, with thousands that would be defended watching, many of whom would be children, is a stupid thing to do. The excuse that he got caught up in the moment is also ridiculous. Swearing in his celebration, fair enough, but running straight to a camera and swearing at it? Surely the brain would process that it's a stupid thing to do.

Just because you weren't offended by what he said, doesn't mean that others weren't.

you mean the 40,000 who were calling him a ****, right? or the everton fans who abuse him, or the liverpool fans? if you have ever been to a match you'd know what im talking about, so talk about a role model is severely flawed when the same people wh demonise him, swear themselves at matches.

I heard it clearly first time.

And the point is, the intent was there. You can't fine it because he couldn't give two ***** about a little fine. The only way to punish him is by suspension - and that's what they've done. Well done FA.

This. Swearing in what is clearly a deliberate fashion should not be permitted, and fining players on a salary like Rooney's will make no impact, so the right decision has been made.

I have heard a lot of 10 year olds copy the swearing from the parents. So seeing a footballer doing it is hardly going to make it any worse. People say footballers are role models. Surely the parents should be the ones who influence the kids, not other people. Not saying what he did was right, he admitted it was wrong. It's passion. I'm guilty myself of doing it on FM 11 and had to apologise-just get caught up in the moment. The fans from other teams who give such vile abuse are just as guilty imo.

Last edited:
Not for this exact offence.

Good work there.

Wayne Rooney swore straight into the camera. It wasn't muffled. It was deliberate. It wasn't a reaction to anything - it was unneeded and sends completely the wrong message to a generation of young supporters.
It wasn't a reaction to anything?
You do realise he'd spent the whole game getting dogs abuse from the stands, like he has every single away game this season.

you mean the 40,000 who were calling him a ****, right? or the everton fans who abuse him, or the liverpool fans? if you have ever been to a match you'd know what im talking about, so talk about a role model is severely flawed when the same people wh demonise him, swear themselves at matches.

This. What about the racial abuse alleged towards Obina and Piquionne? The constant abuse Rooney himself gets, and just the general swearing that circulates the game. If you want your kids to live perfectly little cushioned lives, then football probably isn't the best place to do it.

It wasn't a reaction to anything?
You do realise he'd spent the whole game getting dogs abuse from the stands, like he has every single away game this season.

Like players do at EVERY match? And yet they manage to refrain from swearing into the camera.

Not an excuse.

I agree that they are just as bad, however, the FA is going to find it impossible to control 40,000 fans who aren't out on the field inspiring people, exactly the opposite of Rooney. Rooney is an individual, and by punishing him, to an extent, the FA is reminding him that he needs to control himself when there are people that idolise him watching on.

Also, originally, I meant thousands would be offended as in the TV audience. I used thousands and not millions because it was a minority that would be truly offended by the comments, but the fact is, that minority still exists, and several of them are children.

FA are becoming joke day by day if they aren't one.

2 match ban for swearing? That was simple What.. **** What.. Jeez.. He didn't even abuse anyone.

And where are the mongs who said FA are our puppets. Next time when you post, take you head off your **** and post.

He hasn't been banned for swearing into a camera. He's been banned for "the use of offensive, insulting and / or abusive language."
Which all players use. Yet rooney is the only one to be banned. It's inconsistent bullshit from the fa.

I agree that they are just as bad, however, the FA is going to find it impossible to control 40,000 fans who aren't out on the field inspiring people, exactly the opposite of Rooney. Rooney is an individual, and by punishing him, to an extent, the FA is reminding him that he needs to control himself when there are people that idolise him watching on.

Also, originally, I meant thousands would be offended as in the TV audience. I used thousands and not millions because it was a minority that would be truly offended by the comments, but the fact is, that minority still exists, and several of them are children.

So those children are going to spend their whole lives avoiding hearing the word ****? Parents, parents friends, school friends, in passing in public places. You can't avoid it. I've heard worst in primary school playgrounds.

Like players do at EVERY match? And yet they manage to refrain from swearing into the camera.

Not an excuse.

I dont think Rooney ran near Camera to swear. It was pathetic camera man who was so desperate for Rooney's reaction and he was on the pitch.

Sky and other broadcasters recieved minimal complaint, certainly not in the lever of other censored tv incidents, so that argument is very stretched.

Lets not forget the fact that he immediately apologised for getting caught up in the moment, we all do we see it all the time on this thread

He hasn't been banned for swearing into a camera. He's been banned for "the use of offensive, insulting and / or abusive language."
Which all players use. Yet rooney is the only one to be banned. It's inconsistent bullshit from the fa.

No other players do it directly staring into the camera from 2 feet away, it's different when the direction is to the televised audience.

As for the camera, it actually moved to that position based on where rooney goes on penalties

So those children are going to spend their whole lives avoiding hearing the word ****? Parents, parents friends, school friends, in passing in public places. You can't avoid it. I've heard worst in primary school playgrounds.

Of course it's inevitable that children are going to hear that kind of language, but where possible, everything possible should be done to prevent it, because, the fact is, it's setting a bad example. That kind of language and abuse should be exterminated, but I know that's never going to happen. Also, hearing those words in passing is less likely to make an impact and make children want to repeat it. However, hearing your idol yell it at a camera? That's a sure fire way of getting the language repeated and noticed.

Oh, and what have you been doing in primary school playgrounds? ;) :P

Back