Russia World Cup 2018

Kane’s gonna have to have the tournament of his life for England to do anything in Russia! Rashford and Loftus have to start next match.

That was a ****** let-off. You've got to feel sorry for the Tunisians they set out to be compact and suceeded.

Rashford and loftus cheek made a huge difference coming on. But all about winning and great job by Kane to get us the win

Don’t get the pundits waffling on about young squad etc. These players are experienced playing for country and club in the league and European football. Getting awfully giddy far to early. Expect the press to overhype the great lions tomorrow in the papers.

Is it coming home this time?

Sorry but let us have this one, haven't won an opening game at major tournament for many a year. Huge burden for this young side that has overcame it.

We wasn't great 2nd half, but 1st half as good as anything i have seen.

No I'm not suddenly going to say we are going to win it obviously.

One last thing, that reffing and VAR use was absolutely diabolical. Walker sticks an arm up and it's a pen. They wrestle tackle every single time, 2 or 3 stone wall pens even with VAR to review them. Pathetic.

Don't care what anyone says we deserved them 3 pts. The refereeing made this more of a game.

Don’t get the pundits waffling on about young squad etc. These players are experienced playing for country and club in the league and European football. Getting awfully giddy far to early. Expect the press to overhype the great lions tomorrow in the papers.

Who gives a **** about the press! Let them do whatever. You think Germany haven't been slaughtered by their media for that defeat??

Bit more optimism, we were great 1st half, best I've seen England in long time, dropped off big time in 2nd half.

We do lack that midfielder, Lotus cheek could fill it. It is a young squad with experience but not much.

Sorry but let us have this one, haven't won an opening game at major tournament for many a year. Huge burden for this young side that has overcame it.

We wasn't great 2nd half, but 1st half as good as anything i have seen.

No I'm not suddenly going to say we are going to win it obviously.

One last thing, that reffing and VAR use was absolutely diabolical. Walker sticks an arm up and it's a pen. They wrestle tackle every single time, 2 or 3 stone wall pens even with VAR to review them. Pathetic.

Don't care what anyone says we deserved them 3 pts. The refereeing made this more of a game.
Terrible reffing! And our **** finishing made it a game tbh. Still don’t get this young team talk! These are all experienced players. Wins a win I gues all that matters.

Too many forwards on the pitch. Kane, Alli, Lingard, Sterling, etc. - Southgate thinks he can integrate them like he's some peak Pep Guardiola.

Too much responsibility on Henderson as lone pivot. Would take out Alli or Lingard and bring in Loftus-Cheek or Dier.

Terrible reffing! And our **** finishing made it a game tbh. Still don’t get this young team talk! These are all experienced players. Wins a win I gues all that matters.

Most of that lineup bar one or two has no World Cup experience Can have all the club football and international qualifiers, World Cup different ball game.

Too many forwards on the pitch. Kane, Alli, Lingard, Sterling, etc. - Southgate thinks he can integrate them like he's some peak Pep Guardiola.

Too much responsibility on Henderson as lone pivot. Would take out Alli or Lingard and bring in Loftus-Cheek or Dier.

You have a good point, but we should of been out of sight with all them chances created first 20 mins.

I'd much rather see this approach than someone like Hodgson.

Most of that lineup bar one or two has no World Cup experience Can have all the club football and international qualifiers, World Cup different ball game.
Meh maybe is. But don’t buy it tbh. A lot of these have played in European QF, Semi,Finals.

Maybe says it all about English players playing like **** for there country

More of a lack of ball carriers in midfield rather than creativity imo. Looked much better when loftus came on.

Edit: Agree with R that the onus is all on Hendo to provide he needs someonelse alongside him. Sacrifice one of the forward players and the team will look more balanced.

Last edited:
More of a lack of ball carriers in midfield rather than creativity imo. Looked much better when loftus came on.

Kept the ball better than anyone in the front six all game pretty much.

Meh maybe is. But don’t buy it tbh. A lot of these have played in European QF, Semi,Finals.

Maybe says it all about English players playing like **** for there country

Your far too negative after that win! You know this is coming from me as well right??

We were off the boil second half but first half was class, as good as anyone so far.

Like I said first 20 min should of been out of sight. Referee decisions made this more of a game also.

Your far too negative after that win! You know this is coming from me as well right??

We were off the boil second half but first half was class, as good as anyone so far.

Like I said first 20 min should of been out of sight. Referee decisions made this more of a game also.
Will reserve judgment. Not getting excited just yet. And enjoying my Zz moment ;) think Mexico have been the best side so far.

Taking out Lingard or Alli for Loftus-Cheek doesn't turn it into a Hodgson team though, it just adds a bit more balance, but he still has the creativity, ball carrying ability & final third x-factor to make things happen.

Henderson needs a supplement passer to help dictate the tempo, and I think Loftus-Cheek can be that, though he'll probably turn to Dier. Belgium will give us an idea of what he feels his best XI is.

Last edited: