Scared of dying?

I'm actually excited, in a weird way. I imagine it to just be nothingness but it would be nice to know for sure. Obviously that's quite difficult to find out and you'll get no sense out of people who have died so we are just stuck here, wondering, and waiting for the inevitable.

But I'm 19, when I was 16, 17 I used to wonder about it too, but you can get worked up about it.. And it's just not worth it. When it happens, it happens. It happens to everyone and it's not a bad thing, it's the way it's meant to be.

Just thank science that you've got another 50 or 60 years to live.

1. Nothing happens, it's nothingness.*

2. No I'm not scared of dying, I'm scared of dying in painful circumstances, I can honestly say I wouldn't give a **** if I knew that my death would come from being shot in the head while sleeping. Something like drowning, burning alive, or being stabbed and bleeding out however isn't okay.

*My personal belief on the situation.

Exactly, nothingness. There was nothing before you were born, and there will be nothing after.

**** drowning or burning alive. But I'd rather be stabbed or hit by a bus than die of something like cancer.

[Not really sure why I'm replying to you Alf, I just wanted to comment on the subject but couldn't be bothered to try and be deep or meaningful :)]

Everyone who said they're not scared of death can't realistically tell me you would be cool as a cucumber with a maniac gunman taking sight on you, as is implied.
Obviously i wouldn't be as cool as a cucumber, but I think its probably more likely that you win the lottery (in england) than have a maniac gunman taking sight on you.
On this logic, you can see that people arn't that worried about things when they are unlikely to happen to them i.e no one goes and commits suicide after not winning the lottery, so you shouldn't spend time worried about being shot when realistically it isn't going to happen to me the average, dull, suburbian person.

Swing and a miss.

Are you somehow implying I will outdrink Dunc? Because Mike.'s likely a complete lightweight, I can beat him easy, but Dunc looks like he drinks like a tank.

I resent this insinuation. You have me confused with Tirath. I can definitely hold my own

Death is overrated

Obviously i wouldn't be as cool as a cucumber, but I think its probably more likely that you win the lottery (in england) than have a maniac gunman taking sight on you.
On this logic, you can see that people arn't that worried about things when they are unlikely to happen to them i.e no one goes and commits suicide after not winning the lottery, so you shouldn't spend time worried about being shot when realistically it isn't going to happen to me the average, dull, suburbian person.

The point wasn't the maniac gunman, the point was that if you were in a scenario where you were faced with death, you'd be **** scared. I never said I worry about death, being scared of something and worrying about it are completely different things. Death removes all your senses, consciousness, emotions. It's an absurd concept, it's nothingness, you can't look forward to it, because you're incapable of feeling anything to do with it, otherwise it's not nothingness. Life itself is all we are, and I personally want to experience it for as long as possible. I disagree with the concept of people becoming 'bored' of life. Everyone says it while they're young and worry free, but when it comes down to it, you have the choice between experiencing nothingness or eagerly anticipating the next sensation, what is what sensation? Who knows, but it's a question you can no longer ask when you're dead, but one that we constantly subconsciously ask ourselves when alive.

So, am I the only one who is actually scared of death? The macho bravado that you're not scared of it is oh so easy when you're not in a position to comprehend being anywhere near the end. Just because it's inevitable doesn't mean it makes it any less scary, in the same way exams are inevitable, it doesn't stop people feeling nervous about them.

Speak for yourself. I've been held up at knifepoint three times, stabbed once, and threatened with a gun once. Two of those times I was pretty sure I was going to die. You make peace with yourself damned quickly and accept your fate. Luckily the first time I survived because of my super ultra ninja skillz and the other time because of sheer luck. I don't remember being nervous at all: perhaps afraid, but afraid of the pain that I was going to suffer rather than death itself.

It's evolutionary to want to survive, it's our instinct, and fear is an emotion there to remind us of that. Everyone's scared of death due to this, some are just more willing to accept the fact. If you were diagnosed with a terminal illness, or had a gun against your head, you'd be blubbering away like everyone else.

Maybe, but that's more to do with not wanting to leave life. For me, anyway. Maybe I just like the unknown. Either you stay in this familiar life or you die and literally anything could happen.

I don't think what you said about terminal illness is true. In fact, the people with terminal illnesses seem to have the best outlook on life in general. They don't blubber and sit there feeling scared, they get out there and cherish every last **** moment because after you're told roughly how long you have left before death gets you, you want to make the most of everything while you still can.

Every sane person is afraid of death, it's one of the few things that are unimaginable outside of our consciousness, which is a scary thought.

Everyone who said they're not scared of death can't realistically tell me you would be cool as a cucumber with a maniac gunman taking sight on you, as is implied.

Scary thought? Exciting, I see it as. Yeah, sure, it could be bad, but it could just as equally be good.

Oh, im going to sub on this thread. Joel's on fire :D

It's death its self, its the way of death I imagine people are scared off ... e.g Being stabbed is a ***** (nearly came close to that myself :'( ... but thats what you get for walking the streets of Brixton at 8pm).
Although I'm not saying I'd peacefully like to die in my sleep tonight, you get my jist.

Eh? there is nothing overly wrong with brixton. Let's not overplay on some old reputation

The point wasn't the maniac gunman, the point was that if you were in a scenario where you were faced with death, you'd be **** scared. I never said I worry about death, being scared of something and worrying about it are completely different things. Death removes all your senses, consciousness, emotions. It's an absurd concept, it's nothingness, you can't look forward to it, because you're incapable of feeling anything to do with it, otherwise it's not nothingness. Life itself is all we are, and I personally want to experience it for as long as possible. I disagree with the concept of people becoming 'bored' of life. Everyone says it while they're young and worry free, but when it comes down to it, you have the choice between experiencing nothingness or eagerly anticipating the next sensation, what is what sensation? Who knows, but it's a question you can no longer ask when you're dead, but one that we constantly subconsciously ask ourselves when alive.

How do you know what death does? The whole point of it is that it is the last great unknown. We as people will NEVER know what death has in store for us until we die. Perhaps we DO keep our senses, consciousness and emotions, how do you know? It might not be nothingness.

You're being very pseudo-omniscient about this. Saying 'Life itself is all we are' shows a breathtaking disregard for how little we know of what comes after we live. You're taking your view of what happens after death and applying it to everyone, which is unfair.

I've had druggies put a gun to my head twice and I can tell you the thought of death never, ever crossed my mind. You only think about the possibility afterwards, but I was at no point 'scared', not then nor later.

One grows to accept the inevitable, and above all things, to accept that there are things in life that are much worse than death. And I do get nervous before an exam, but that's because in an exam you have a say in the outcome. It's the complete opposite. It's the thought of responsibility that scares me, the fact that you're the one deciding how well, or not, you'll do.

And they're hardly inevitable either - skipping an exam has consequences though.

I resent this insinuation. You have me confused with Tirath. I can definitely hold my own

You'll be found out. ;)

Oh, im going to sub on this thread. Joel's on fire :D

Just because he uses interesting words doesn't automatically make him right, y'know. You are ALLOWED to argue with him. :p

Eh? there is nothing overly wrong with brixton. Let's not overplay on some old reputation

Someone gave me a free packet of naan bread there once. Nice man.

Speak for yourself. I've been held up at knifepoint three times, stabbed once, and threatened with a gun once. Two of those times I was pretty sure I was going to die. You make peace with yourself damned quickly and accept your fate. Luckily the first time I survived because of my super ultra ninja skillz and the other time because of sheer luck. I don't remember being nervous at all: perhaps afraid, but afraid of the pain that I was going to suffer rather than death itself.

London ftw. :(

Maybe, but that's more to do with not wanting to leave life. For me, anyway. Maybe I just like the unknown. Either you stay in this familiar life or you die and literally anything could happen.

I don't think what you said about terminal illness is true. In fact, the people with terminal illnesses seem to have the best outlook on life in general. They don't blubber and sit there feeling scared, they get out there and cherish every last **** moment because after you're told roughly how long you have left before death gets you, you want to make the most of everything while you still can.

No. You stay in life and then literally anything can happen. You can only be excited by the unknown when you're conscious to feel it. Life IS the great unknown, death is the certainty. You have no idea what course life will take, how is that familiar or known? You can be a lot more certain that you're going to lose all sense and consciousness upon death, and with that you lose the ability to experience any unknown whatsoever.

That doesn't mean they're not scared of the fact though. And I mean in the immediate aftermath of being told you have a terminal illness, I'm fairly certain almost everyone that has been told that news has broken down over it at some point. Just because they've accepted the fact they're going to die, and that motivates them to maximise their life left, doesn't mean they're not scared as **** of it.

Scary thought? Exciting, I see it as. Yeah, sure, it could be bad, but it could just as equally be good.

It can be neither good or bad, when you're incapable of feeling it. It's nothingness, I'd certainly rather experience something than have nothing for eternity.

You'll be found out. ;)

Just because he uses interesting words doesn't automatically make him right, y'know. You are ALLOWED to argue with him. :p

Someone gave me a free packet of naan bread there once. Nice man.

Pfft I held it up at CP, sure i can fend off you noobs.

Scariest part of death is those you leave behind, thats the first thing i think about

Actually, you don't know that. Many people have died, it may be unlikely that a maniac gunman will aim his gun at you, and sometimes the cause of death is unknown. Alright, there are only a few people in the news, such as Raul Moat, who are maniacs but that doesn't mean there's many. But I do agree the chance of winning the lottery should be more. Sometimes people do think about things unlikely to happen, though, but I guess that really only little kids worry about stuff like aliens and monsters.

What if it was quick and painless and you died happy? Death in inevitable, so there's no point worrying about it - and I don't think some people will be scared of it. It may seem very strange, but not everyone will definitely be scared of it. However, if you haven't been in a life-death situation (luckily, I haven't) then I guess you can't really comment that accurately. And GodCubed, it seems like you have been in danger a few times...!

Speak for yourself. I've been held up at knifepoint three times, stabbed once, and threatened with a gun once.

Feel for you, was mugged and threatened with being stabbed, not nice ... and like you said not once did death cross my mind but the pain from actually being stabbed is what I worried about ... also where the **** do you live, Libya? :p

Its not an old reputation, its a pretty bad area these days, I should know, I live there :( ... also why do you seem to love Brixton so much?

Last edited:
Naah, I argued enough. This time im going to watch how Joel successfully bring in economy in this subject ;)

Feel for you, was mugged and threatened with being stabbed, not nice ... and like you said not once did death cross my mind but the pain from actually being stabbed is what I worried about ... also where the **** do you live, Libya? :p

Its not an old reputation dear, its a pretty bad area these days, I should know, I live there :( ... also why do you seem to love Brixton so much?

Probably becuase ive spent half my life around South London, hardly a bad area (having lived in Withington and the edge of Moss Side, I know a bad area) Interesting, but not bad. Certainly much better than 10 years ago. And dont call me dear, considerably older than you.

Probably becuase ive spent half my life around South London, hardly a bad area (having lived in Withington and the edge of Moss Side, I know a bad area) Interesting, but not bad. Certainly much better than 10 years ago. And dont call me dear, considerably older than you.

Soz, forgot you was the boss lal .... But its awful!

Naah, I argued enough. This time im going to watch how Joel successfully bring in economy in this subject ;)

We won't have to put up with that when either he or us die. Surely that's part of the bright side of death?

Actually, you don't know that. Many people have died, it may be unlikely that a maniac gunman will aim his gun at you, and sometimes the cause of death is unknown. Alright, there are only a few people in the news, such as Raul Moat, who are maniacs but that doesn't mean there's many. But I do agree the chance of winning the lottery should be more. Sometimes people do think about things unlikely to happen, though, but I guess that really only little kids worry about stuff like aliens and monsters.

What if it was quick and painless and you died happy? Death in inevitable, so there's no point worrying about it - and I don't think some people will be scared of it. It may seem very strange, but not everyone will definitely be scared of it. However, if you haven't been in a life-death situation (luckily, I haven't) then I guess you can't really comment that accurately. And GodCubed, it seems like you have been in danger a few times...!

I never said I worried about dying, I'm perfectly aware that it's an inevitable fact. There's a difference between worrying about something and fearing something. Fear is a subconscious emotion that we have no control over. We may control the effect of it, but we don't control the emotion. Worry is something we have somewhat control over. Just because you don't worry about something doesn't mean you're not scared of it, it's in our nature to fear death. Our whole existence is based around self-preservation, avoiding death is self-preservation.

You can master control of what fear exerts on you, but you can't get of the fear itself.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Since we're of a limited time on Earth, we should maximise our efficiency to get the most output out of the time we're given. Sup.