Scared of dying?

We won't have to put up with that when either he or us die. Surely that's part of the bright side of death?
It depends. If you like non-linked stories in Joel's comments, than no. And vice versa

Soz, forgot you was the boss lal .... But its awful!

Yes its terrible, despite being one of the up and coming trendiest places in south london oO).

Death always puts things into perspective, think its good to dwell on it every now and again...

London ftw. :(

It's the great Saaf-Eest London conundrum: we complain about the crime, dirt and violence, but as soon as someone else has a go we vociferously defend it. :wub: London.

No. You stay in life and then literally anything can happen. You can only be excited by the unknown when you're conscious to feel it. Life IS the great unknown, death is the certainty. You have no idea what course life will take, how is that familiar or known? You can be a lot more certain that you're going to lose all sense and consciousness upon death, and with that you lose the ability to experience any unknown whatsoever.

The action of dying is a certainty, but what comes after that moment is by no means certain. There are certain laws - of physics, and so on and so forth - which govern what we can do in life, which means that not LITERALLY anything can happen. Anything up to a certain reasonable point can. In death, however, we have no ideas what the laws are or even if there are any. Death is THE unknown of all unknowns.

Besides, you totally missed the point. By the time you die, you will have grown familiar with this life that you have carved for yourself. In the long list of variables in your life, huge amounts of them have been settled. I know that if I don't die tomorrow, my life will be likely to continue in a relatively unchanged pattern for the rest of that particular day. This is unlike death, in which literally anything can happen. Time itself may not exist. It may exist. We just don't know.

I can't be certain I won't lose sense and consciousness upon death. How can you be?

That doesn't mean they're not scared of the fact though. And I mean in the immediate aftermath of being told you have a terminal illness, I'm fairly certain almost everyone that has been told that news has broken down over it at some point. Just because they've accepted the fact they're going to die, and that motivates them to maximise their life left, doesn't mean they're not scared as **** of it.

Are they? I can only imagine that having a greater time to resign yourself to dying after a while is beneficial to your lack of fear for death. As mentioned earlier, I didn't particularly fear dying when I was actually in mortal danger; terminally ill people are likely to fear it even less.

Maybe they are, but the point is that you were generalising every human on the planet as being afraid of death, which just isn't true. As I said, I'm not, and say what you want about evolution or macho-ness. Maybe it's just my psyche. I just think there are other things to be scared about rather than an inevitable adventure.

It can be neither good or bad, when you're incapable of feeling it. It's nothingness, I'd certainly rather experience something than have nothing for eternity.

Sigh, already said, we don't know. For all we know death heightens our senses and consciousness.

Pfft I held it up at CP, sure i can fend off you noobs.

I will prawn you at the drinking. Even if I have to cheat.

Feel for you, was mugged and threatened with being stabbed, not nice ... and like you said not once did death cross my mind but the pain from actually being stabbed is what I worried about ... also where the **** do you live, Libya? :p

Lewisham, pretty much the same. ;)

Death always puts things into perspective, think its good to dwell on it every now and again...

Agreed.

"My pen broke, IT'S LIKE THE HOLOCAUST" No, it ******* well isn't anything like the holocaust. Just thinking about the holocaust and the unimaginable loss of life should be enough to put things into perspective.

Feel for you, was mugged and threatened with being stabbed, not nice ... and like you said not once did death cross my mind but the pain from actually being stabbed is what I worried about ... also where the **** do you live, Libya? :p

Its not an old reputation, its a pretty bad area these days, I should know, I live there :( ... also why do you seem to love Brixton so much?

Just because death never crossed your mind doesn't mean you weren't fearful of it. Although I've never been in a position as close to that to death, I imagine death wouldn't be the first thought across my mind either, given the panic mode and lack of logical thoughts going through your mind as a result. If the pain is the source of the fear, then having a gun against your head should cause no fear since it would be instantaneous and thus no pain, but every single person would be doing their **** best to stay alive in that situation.

Yes its terrible, despite being one of the up and coming trendiest places in south london oO).

Meh, maybe during the day, but during the night, there's a high chance of getting mugged/attacked, especially if your about five foot tall.

I'm probably going to regret this but here goes.

How do we know if we've actually died before anyway? You know...past life and all that. And how do we know we haven't had a past life BEFORE that one? Or if we're actually alive now? What if all this...is actually just some weird dream that we're living out?

Just because death never crossed your mind doesn't mean you weren't fearful of it. Although I've never been in a position as close to that to death, I imagine death wouldn't be the first thought across my mind either, given the panic mode and lack of logical thoughts going through your mind as a result. If the pain is the source of the fear, then having a gun against your head should cause no fear since it would be instantaneous and thus no pain, but every single person would be doing their **** best to stay alive in that situation.

Guess I'm the anomaly again. In one of the aforementioned near-death situations, if I truly wanted to preserve my life I could've just not got involved. As it was, I stepped between my friend and the mugger and got schtabbed in the knee for my trouble (I used my mega ultra ninja skills of stepping back as the knife came down so he overbalanced and stabbed my knee instead of my stomach/chest).

Ofcourse, I'd imagine a gunshot would hurt like a ***** though. I suppose people try to make death a far away, but mainly fear the circumstances in which it comes across, although sub-consciously your always aware of death, but when the situation of death arises, whats closer is how your going to die, so people are more fearful of that.

Lewisham, pretty much the same. ;)

Agreed.

"My pen broke, IT'S LIKE THE HOLOCAUST" No, it ******* well isn't anything like the holocaust. Just thinking about the holocaust and the unimaginable loss of life should be enough to put things into perspective.

I occaisonally think about the holocaust... gives me shivers. Then i realise how good my life is and stop whinging about whatever was bugging me

Meh, maybe during the day, but during the night, there's a high chance of getting mugged/attacked, especially if your about five foot tall.

if you are 5ft tall there is a high chance of you getting mugged across south london full stop.

Brixton nightlife is vibrant and growing, and getting more affluent, and actually pretty safe

I never said I worried about dying, I'm perfectly aware that it's an inevitable fact. There's a difference between worrying about something and fearing something. Fear is a subconscious emotion that we have no control over. We may control the effect of it, but we don't control the emotion. Worry is something we have somewhat control over. Just because you don't worry about something doesn't mean you're not scared of it, it's in our nature to fear death. Our whole existence is based around self-preservation, avoiding death is self-preservation.

You can master control of what fear exerts on you, but you can't get of the fear itself.

Self-preservation =/= fearing death. I'm in no hurry to die, I can tell you that much, but that does not mean I'm afraid of death. There are some pretty awful ways to die that I'd rather avoid - starvation, dehidration, drowning, cancer, being mauled by a lion, being raped to death by a pack of baboons, stomped repeatedly by an elephant, emasculation, etc - but that doesn't mean I'm afraid of death itself.

I'm probably going to regret this but here goes.

How do we know if we've actually died before anyway? You know...past life and all that. And how do we know we haven't had a past life BEFORE that one? Or if we're actually alive now? What if all this...is actually just some weird dream that we're living out?

Did think like that once when i was stoned. Got stuck in an endless loop about what created the big bang. My head melted, not worth going there

Mike said:
if you are 5ft tall there is a high chance of you getting mugged across south london full stop.

Brixton nightlife is vibrant and growing, and getting more affluent, and actually pretty safe

Indeedio there is, although I wouldn't say it safe, maybe on Brixton Road ... I'd feel safe in the night there, loadsa people, but once you hit one of the backroads or venture into Loughborough, you've had it ... although its probably from a mugee who because of this has a firm stance on the fact that Brixton is a shithole and people are preeks.

Did think like that once when i was stoned. Got stuck in an endless loop about what created the big bang. My head melted, not worth going there

Personally I think it's **** myself. But the missus has this weird conception that we live in some Matrix universe....****, and we've had many (heated) debates about having a previous life. But like I mentioned, I don't believe it a jot. Was just curious if anyone else thought it.

this is what i imagine <3

jimi-hendrix.jpg

The action of dying is a certainty, but what comes after that moment is by no means certain. There are certain laws - of physics, and so on and so forth - which govern what we can do in life, which means that not LITERALLY anything can happen. Anything up to a certain reasonable point can. In death, however, we have no ideas what the laws are or even if there are any. Death is THE unknown of all unknowns.

Besides, you totally missed the point. By the time you die, you will have grown familiar with this life that you have carved for yourself. In the long list of variables in your life, huge amounts of them have been settled. I know that if I don't die tomorrow, my life will be likely to continue in a relatively unchanged pattern for the rest of that particular day. This is unlike death, in which literally anything can happen. Time itself may not exist. It may exist. We just don't know.
Grown familiar doesn't mean you can expect everything. I have a rough idea what I'll do tomorrow, I have a rough idea next week. I can't say for 100% what will happen in any given time period though, I may be extremely certain but never 100%, and it is therefore by definition, unknown.

I can't be certain I won't lose sense and consciousness upon death. How can you be?
Because you're incapable of processing any sense or feeling without a functioning brain - and we can measure if a brain is functioning or not. Even so, I'll take the 100% chance of having senses while alive over the slim chance of experiencing something at all when dead, and then the even slimmer chance on top of that that it's a greater feeling than life.

Are they? I can only imagine that having a greater time to resign yourself to dying after a while is beneficial to your lack of fear for death. As mentioned earlier, I didn't particularly fear dying when I was actually in mortal danger; terminally ill people are likely to fear it even less.

Maybe they are, but the point is that you were generalising every human on the planet as being afraid of death, which just isn't true. As I said, I'm not, and say what you want about evolution or macho-ness. Maybe it's just my psyche. I just think there are other things to be scared about rather than an inevitable adventure.

It's not a generalisation, our sole being for existence is self-preservation, which is avoidance of death. When you're scared of something you never stop and think "Wow, this is scaring me." You react. If you're arachnophobic, and you see a spider, you don't think "I'm scared of that, do something". You just do something. If you're driving and a lorry veers towards you, you don't stop and think about what to do, you instinctively do something to avoid that lorry hitting you and killing you. Just because the fear of death never crosses your mind, that doesn't mean it stops physiological and physical reactions to avoid it don't take place. They do - for everyone. No one can willingly remove their primal reactions, so I don't find it an unfair generalisation for the population.

Sigh, already said, we don't know. For all we know death heightens our senses and consciousness.

How, if you have no way of processing the information? It's like saying if you remove your heart, for all you know something could happen to keep the blood pumping through your body.

Personally I think it's **** myself. But the missus has this weird conception that we live in some Matrix universe....****, and we've had many (heated) debates about having a previous life. But like I mentioned, I don't believe it a jot. Was just curious if anyone else thought it.

The debate gets all quantumy (definitely not a real word) a universe inside an atom etc. Can't be dealing with it

Self-preservation =/= fearing death.
Yes it is, fear is nature's way to of telling you to stop whatever is happening to keep yourself alive. You can't mentally acknowledge fear, only be aware of its effects, and thus deduce from that what you're scared of. An arachnophobe doesn't know they're scared of spiders because they think about being scared of spiders, they know they're afraid of them because they instinctively stay as far away from them and struggle to go near them. A non-arachnophobe knows that they're not scared of spiders because those reactions don't exist on their body.

What the point arguing. Joels always right.
Anyway, we'll all die one day, not sooner. Don't crack your head thinking about it, you are waisting your time.