Site Improvements Suggestions

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/usa-what-a-sick-title-t43075.html#post597515

Another fine example of why the story thread has run its course perhaps

Despite all the hate geared towards them, I actually enjoy reading stories and writing them as well.

But there needs to be a post minimum or a limit or something.

Just off the top of my head, maybe it could be like the downloads, mods need to approve a regular user but premium users get to post them without approval.

this. there are decent ones but for every good story theres 30 **** ones, and i end up just not bothering to follow any

Despite all the hate geared towards them, I actually enjoy reading stories and writing them as well.

But there needs to be a post minimum or a limit or something.

Just off the top of my head, maybe it could be like the downloads, mods need to approve a regular user but premium users get to post them without approval.

I don't agree that Premium Members shouldn't need them approved and normal members shouldn't, because there is some very good stories going that have been started by Normal Members. I think this is somewhere where Premium Members should be treated the same as Normal Members.

I do think members should have at least 100 posts to start a story though.

100 posts is nothing these days with the amount of spam that happens in threads now.

If anything, delete all the stories that haven't passed the first season, and keep the amazingly long ones such as KingEric's SAF one for people to look at as a guide or for ideas and when we start with FM 11 then if a story doesn't go past the first season the first time around then they can't make another story until FM 12. For everyone that does make it the distance the 3 story limit that you're introducing should suffice :)

I disagree. Maybe 500 posts would be appropiate?

I think it's harsh to delete stories that don't get passed the first season aswell.

Just scrap the story section and allow people to have blogs.They can put a link to their blog in their signature so people can follow.

I think it's harsh to delete stories that don't get passed the first season aswell.

Why, they won't bring anything to the site as they haven't gone anywhere. Then they'll just be clogging up the site and there'll be no point in them being there.

Oh sorry, I mis-understood I think.

I guess we'll see what the new FM Stories mods want to do?

Just scrap the story section and allow people to have blogs.They can put a link to their blog in their signature so people can follow.

Exactly.

Or as several people start up threads about new forums they have set up why can't someone start an FM Stories website and have the story thread here as just a link to that website

The trouble with having a minimum post rule is that it encourages people to spam every thread going with pointless **** and one word posts just to bump their post count up.

I guess you have a valid point there JP.

At the end of the day, this is a lose-lose situation for the moderators.

Sean has mentioned the introduction of the blogs within the site, that will be a good idea. He did say it will take a while though. Worth the wait I suppose.

If everybody was as advanced as Pompey_Dan and could make a story within a different website, this will be a massive improvement.

As far as the story section goes, I think a minimum post count would be unfair. What has annoyed me, however, is the threads such as the USA one where it is just screenshots - I take a lot of time to write out articles, and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea to sift through them I enjoy writing them.

I would suggest a maximum of one story at a time, and a requirement of a thought out and written out OP detailing the club/manager, aims, information about the club and/or league and other such basic details to introduce the thread. Having more than one story at a time seems bewildering to me, how can you concentrate on them all fully?

The benefit of having a one story per member rule would be that if they wanted to start a new one, it could be refused by the mods if their previous efforts have been pure spam.

I don't think having blogs would help the site one bit.

Sean was saying that the new forum software would allow each user to have a blog. They can write the **** on there.

Would be more beneficial than having the amount of crappy story threads we have at the moment. Would hopefully people spamming the threads saying "Well Done" every result just so they can get their post count up.

Actually, just had an idea - why not intertwine the stories section with the challenges section? Only allow stories relating to the monthly challenge - would certainly cut down on the amount of similar Liverpool, Man Utd, Rangers and such story threads.

Back