Site Improvements Suggestions

I know what you're talking about mate, I did generally enjoy stories, I don't follow as much now. I quote Raf just now and that was the main reason (I think!) because it filled the list with utter **** (the majority, not all stories were bad) and didn't allow space for general Football Manager help, useful downloads, football talk etc etc.

Well it's a story, so obviously not going to contribute to the general help, useful downloads, football talk etc.. :P

What I was saying, is that not every member uses every section of the site. E.G. I probably check the story section more than you do, but then you quite obviously use the Editing section more than I do. If the Admin of the site decided to clear the Editing section of the site from Recent Threads, you'd be slightly miffed about it considering you use that section a fair bit and aren't one of the people who mis-use it.

Hope you understand what I'm saying, because I'm not too sure if it makes sense. It does in my head (A)

Also it will help some user's stories(like me) to pick and what not.

Well it's a story, so obviously not going to contribute to the general help, useful downloads, football talk etc.. :P

What I was saying, is that not every member uses every section of the site. E.G. I probably check the story section more than you do, but then you quite obviously use the Editing section more than I do. If the Admin of the site decided to clear the Editing section of the site from Recent Threads, you'd be slightly miffed about it considering you use that section a fair bit and aren't one of the people who mis-use it.

Hope you understand what I'm saying, because I'm not too sure if it makes sense. It does in my head (A)

I totally understand mate, it's just the fact that everybody insisted on starting a story, which isn't not encouraged, it just cast away any other thread that had been updated. In your defence, at the end of last season and during the summer, the Recent Threads list was full of **** Kit competitions (which was thankfully dealt with), but hey, it's up to the top man if he wants to re-add stories into the list :)

I totally understand mate, it's just the fact that everybody insisted on starting a story, which isn't not encouraged, it just cast away any other thread that had been updated. In your defence, at the end of last season and during the summer, the Recent Threads list was full of **** Kit competitions (which was thankfully dealt with), but hey, it's up to the top man if he wants to re-add stories into the list :)

Yeah. But also now that stories have to be approved it won't be full of **** ones like it was before and I'm guessing was the reason for it's removal from the recent threads list.

Yeah, it got to the point where people were asking for Kit Competitions to get banned, which they were for a short while I believe...

Anyway, I just think that with the introduction of the Story Approvement before it actually becomes available that the quality of story will certainly improve. But as you say, it's up to the top man if he wants to re-add it.

To be fair, it was taken off because Lee didn't like it. There was a number of forum members who preferred them being there. Now that stories must be approved, it will improve the quality of the stories. Also, nobody makes you click on them, so what's wrong with them being there.

Seeing as I'm one of the 'n00bs' that doesn't use the forum properly, it would be of great use to me and I'm sure a number of other members. There's nothing making users click on the thread if it's a story so I don't see why they should get taken down. I don't go in the graphics section much, but if someone posts something up I don't click on it. Don't see why it should be taken down.

But that's just my opinion...

1. Super Awesome Kit Request Thread isn't likely to be confused as a story about real life football.
2. It wasn't just because I didn't like them.
3. We even had a thread to vote and discuss whether to bring them back. No was more popular.
4. Use the forum properly.

The problem with Stories in recent threads is the misleading titles that give people a heart attack when they see them until they realise it's a story. Your point on steering clear of the graphics threads is simple, it is easy to spot a thread in the graphics section due to name so like '*** kit request thread'. You also say other members want it reintroduced to recent threads but I am sure a lot of members also don't want it reintroduced, not just Lee. If people want to read Stories, it isn't hard to click on the FM Stories section. Forums are supposed to be for browsing and I think the recent threads tool sometimes defeats the whole object of this.

zoom Lee.

I would find it very useful to put stories on the recent threads as there seems to be a lack of posting in the section. Now that stories are being approved people would know that they are genuinely there for a reason and there in the long term. I'm also desperate to see my story get more viewers.

1. Super Awesome Kit Request Thread isn't likely to be confused as a story about real life football.
3. We even had a thread to vote and discuss whether to bring them back. No was more popular.

The problem with Stories in recent threads is the misleading titles that give people a heart attack when they see them until they realise it's a story. Your point on steering clear of the graphics threads is simple, it is easy to spot a thread in the graphics section due to name so like '*** kit request thread'. You also say other members want it reintroduced to recent threads but I am sure a lot of members also don't want it reintroduced, not just Lee. If people want to read Stories, it isn't hard to click on the FM Stories section. Forums are supposed to be for browsing and I think the recent threads tool sometimes defeats the whole object of this.

zoom Lee.

I find that the stories section is a really neglected area of the site as if you look at some stories some have 0 replies.
If it came up on recent threads or it had a colum like it for stories it would help people get more people following it as I find it bad that some people go to the effort of making these stories but no-one goes and reads them.

@Jack Fulham. I know that a lot of people on this site (including) don't search around the forum and just look in the recent threads list like me for the majority of the time so people wont see that there are new quality stories. I made a story about an 1hr ago and no-one has viewed it and the fact that it does not come up on the recent threads list doesn't help IMO.

I personally don't care for stories at all and like that they aren't in recent threads, if the section is deserted that's most likely due to a lack of truly interesting stories amongst the drivel and few people who want to follow stories (whilst everyone seems to want to write them). However if they were to be (again) it's easy enough to avoid the misleading title thing by using a prefix, such as [STORY], at the start of the title.

I personally don't care for stories at all and like that they aren't in recent threads, if the section is deserted that's most likely due to a lack of truly interesting stories amongst the drivel and few people who want to follow stories (whilst everyone seems to want to write them). However if they were to be (again) it's easy enough to avoid the misleading title thing by using a prefix, such as [STORY], at the start of the title.

I actually quite like that idea as Jack Fulham said titles could be misleading so that could be a solution.

1. I never said it was. Merely that just because people don't read them doesn't mean it should get taken down.
2. You took them down, then posted the vote thread.
3. I don't remember the results of the poll, but if you say it was then ok.
4. The way I choose to use the forum is my choice. If I don't want to click on new posts I shouldn't have to. There's no correct way of using a forum so there's no need to be high and mighty.

zoom Lee.

As above, my point wasn't that it would be confusing; more that nobody is told to click on the thread. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that you're one of the mods that has to approve the stories. So surely, if you see the title and think it will cause confusion you can just add 'Story' to the front or end of the title. Wouldn't be that much extra work and wouldn't take too long at all. I just think that the people that misused that section of the forum have ruined it for everyone else who used it correctly and actually wrote good stories, such as KingEric, myself, Dan among others.

People who do wish to read stories can go look at them through the sub sections. The majority of the site don't read them.

People who do wish to read stories can go look at them through the sub sections. The majority of the site don't read them.

People who don't want to read them just don't click on them in the Recent Threads list. Apparently the majority of the site don't use the Recent Threads list anyway, so it shouldn't make much of a difference should it?

People who don't want to read them just don't click on them in the Recent Threads list. Apparently the majority of the site don't use the Recent Threads list anyway, so it shouldn't make much of a difference should it?

The majority of the site do use the recent threads list primarily. So it seems.

The majority of the site do use the recent threads list primarily. So it seems.

According to most people, they use the 'new posts' button, and rarely look at the Recent Threads tab.

Surely it depends on how often you check the site? If I've not been on for a good few hours I'll go to New Posts, but if I'm currently using the forum or have within the last half hour or so Recent Threads is very handy, especially in the fuller form.

Surely it depends on how often you check the site? If I've not been on for a good few hours I'll go to New Posts, but if I'm currently using the forum or have within the last half hour or so Recent Threads is very handy, especially in the fuller form.

Exactly. But my point in the vote thread that Lee mentioned, was that if you hover over the title of the thread, the OP shows up.

So if it has a misleading title, then surely all you'd have to do is hover over it, and it will show up the OP which would surely help in the process of discovering if the thread is legit or a story. Doesn't take more than 3 seconds either, so it's hardly wasting time.

Yeah. But also now that stories have to be approved it won't be full of **** ones like it was before and I'm guessing was the reason for it's removal from the recent threads list.

You've obviously not read the majority of stories out there at the minute. Most are complete drivel in my opinion, with a real lack of originality and commitment. Who wants to read 50 stories that start ' manager x has been sacked from top 4 prem team x - step in surprise appointment of a complete unknown' ??? It's utter garbage. I'm a big fan of the section but there are too many writers that cry about a lack of following and it's no surprise that there is a lack of interest. You'll notice that the most followed stories are from writers who have stuck at it in the past..

I don't think it was necessary to extend the recent thread lists, and a lot of interesting threads will be missed by those that don't browse the site. I agree with cal that it can be useful, but it wouldn't really bother me if the recent thread list wasn't there at all

Back