STAND FREE WHEREVER YOU MAY BE - And you thought Celtic beating Barca was something!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 405K
Was that memo serious? Chris Gauld looks top notch.

A little bit serious

I didnt get a memo but i have been in the red for wages all season. I could have changed our budget to easily been back into balance but there is reasons from above as to why the wage bill must be cut!

Scotland

Squad
Grant Hanley and Steven Macari both start the year with Scotland injured and out of the opening Four Nations game. Centerback Fraser Hamilton returns

Four Nations Tournament
At Hampden
Scotland 2-0 Ireland
Sibbald
Lindsay

A comfortable and deserved win with a make shift side as i took the chance to rest my Aberdeen boys

Elsewhere Wales and Northern Ireland drew to leave us clear at the top with a long wait till May till the next games.

View attachment 331396

Should point out in the 3 running of the Four Nations Ireland have won it twice and Wales once Scotland being runners up twice to Ireland. "We should win it this summer"

February

Terrible defeat at Stamford Bridge leaves us clinging onto our Champions League title
Reach the Scottish Cup semi finals for the 1st time in ages
Still going strong in the League, 68 unbeaten now

Fixtures

Ross County 0-6 Aberdeen
Loeffen 2
Kelly 3
Sneddon

Injury's to Salomonsson and David who are both our for 2 months and Soldan, who just got a knock didn't deter us today especially Soldan's replacement Neil Kelly who hit a hattrick

Dundee Utd 0-2 Aberdeen
Elias
Loeffen

Maybe some of the better teams are starting to figure out how to hold us back. Despite all our attacking power and strength we were level at half time, and scraped the win with 2 late goals.

Champions League last 16 1st leg
Chelsea 3-1 Aberdeen
O'G

Chelsea were 3-0 up and flying when for some reason Edin Hazard scored a own goal to give us a glimmer of hope going into the home leg.

View attachment 331689

Aberdeen 2-0 Hearts
Kelly
Essomba

Several players were missing knackered with a Cup Quarter Final coming up too so to beat one of our closest rivals in this state is impressive.

Scottish Cup Q/F
Aberdeen 6-0 Hearts
Bamba 2
Loeffen
Soldan
Elias
Hugo

We thrashed Hearts today. What a difference resting our midfield makes!

Semi Final Draw
Celtic Vs Aberdeen
St Johnstone Vs Kilmarnock

League
View attachment 331687

With 10 games to go we've hit a goal difference of over +100. Kilmarnock join Hearts and Celtic in a battle for 3rd while four teams are split by 3 points.

Player of the month
Elias
View attachment 331688

Didn't realize he was 26! Hasn't got the recognition he deserves for being a huge part in our success.

Scotland

Squad
No new injurys as Celtic pair Macari and Devlin and Grant Hanley return.

March Friendlys

Scotland 2-0 South Korea
Macari
Cairney

Comfortable win over one of the top Asian teams, a nice warm up for Spain.

View attachment 331743

Spain 0-1 Scotland
Sneddon

Our Keeper Craig Crawfords massive raiting shows how we won this game. Elias was one of Spains best players on the night but it was his two Aberdeen team mates who decided todays match

View attachment 331744

March

Chelsea end our attempts to retain the Champions League
SPL title won on March the 1st with 9 games to play
Worst youth intake ever. Nobody stays

Fixtures

Motherwell 0-3 Aberdeen
Sneddon
Loeffen
Kelly

Elias played his 250th game for Aberdeen

Aberdeen 4-1 Livingston
Elias
Sneddon
Loeffen 2

As you can tell from the scorers i couldn't rest many players going into the Chelsea game. How important is this? We'll find out NEXT!

Champions League Last 16 2nd leg
Aberdeen 2-1 Chelsea
Soldan
Loeffen

Agg
Chelsea 4-3 Aberdeen

So that's another failure at the 1st hurdle. We were on track to challenge Chelsea's lead until there only shot on goal went in to give them the away goal that ended our European season.

View attachment 332108

St Johnstone 2-2 Aberdeen
Cabestany 2

Sounds strange but im glad to have escaped Perth with a point. The team were shattered from the Chelsea game and handful of injury's. Better be back for the Celtic game.

Aberdeen 3-0 Celtic
Cabestany
Kelly
Sneddon

Both teams are crippled with International call ups, This was international Wednesday where Scotland weren't playing but we missed 6 starting players to internationals and 3 to injury. Felt the streak was under its greatest threat but thankfully Celtics team was weakened.

League
View attachment 332109

Were almost at the split and Celtic despite loosing to Aberdeen at the end of the month have opened a small gap to Hearts, Kilmarnock and Rangers joining the hunt. At the bottom Ross County are in trouble

Player of the month
Josep Cabestany
View attachment 332110

Certainly over the last 2-3 year Cabestany has been our weakest regular forward who if the Wage's don't work out could be spending his last season at Aberdeen

April

Reach Scottish Cup final after a classic match against Celtic
By beating Hearts 3-0 we broke the League record for goals in a season set by Hearts in 1957/58 by scoring 132 goals.

Fixtures

Rangers 0-2 Aberdeen
Loeffen
Bamba

We got our best team back and they had plenty in hand over a Rangers who are getting stronger and keeping a familure look to there team. Mark Loeffen's goal broke both Aberdeen and the SPL's record number of goals in a season. Record at 39 and counting

Scottish Cup S/F
Celtic 2-3 Aberdeen
Loeffen
Cabestany
Elias

There were few occasions where Celtic's cup curse on us was far away from my mind as they twice came from behind to equalize. A Penalty in the last 10 minutes was all that was between the teams today and its Aberdeen who go to the final where we'll play Kilmarnock. Derek Sneddon is in a fight to be fit for the final after sustaining a sprained ankle

View attachment 332124

Kilmarnock 0-3 Aberdeen
Archer
Loeffen
Soldan

Close in the 1st half total domination in the 2nd half. I'd imagine we'll be even better in the cup final!

Aberdeen 4-1 Celtic
O'G
Archer
Loeffen 2

We would have won anyway but Celtic encouraged us by giving us a head start in the first 10 minutes with a own goal. This was Bamba's 250th Aberdeen appearance

Hearts 0-3 Aberdeen
O'G
Elias
Hugo

Another Own Goal head start. These boys will never learn!

League
View attachment 332125

The top of the table seems to be quite settled with Celtic joining us in the Champions League as they finish the season on awesome form. Ross County Vs Livingston for the relegation spot

Player of the month
Armand Bamba
View attachment 332126

As well as celebrating a landmark 250th appearance in April the legendary midfielder was my player of the month for a run of goals and assists

May

Fixtures

Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee Utd
Elias

Totally dominated the game. 77% possession but our forwards were in shocking form

Aberdeen 3-0 Rangers
Loeffen 2
O'G

Final Table
View attachment 332155

We end our amazing season still playing well.

Unbeaten run stands at 78 games which is clearly the 2nd best run in Domestic league's history meaning were looking to get 29 games into next season unbeaten to set a new record around March next season is the date for your calendar.

Longest unbeaten runs in domestic league
106 — Steaua Bucuresti from August 17, 1986 to September 9, 1989
** 78 — Aberdeen from May 2021 to Ongoing **
63 — FC Sheriff Tiraspol from April 1, 2006 to March 12, 2008
62 — Celtic from November 20, 1915 to April 21, 1917
61 — Levadia Tallinn from May 10, 2008 to November 7, 2009

Scottish Cup Final
View attachment 332394

Kilmarnock V Aberdeen
View attachment 332395View attachment 332396

Team News

The two top Managers in the SPL go head to head in the season closing match

Kilmarnock
Killie have had no luck in the run up to the final. After securing 3rd place they went on to loose 3 regular starters as well as loan forwards Cameron Park and Roy Strachan

Aberdeen
As for the favorites were missing Chris Pierce who got injured in the last day of training for the season and David Sneddon who has come so close but has just failed to return. Might shove him on the bench and bring him on in the 90th minute as a reward for his loyalty

Match

1st Half

16 - Goal - Elias
And it begins. My favorite underdog player Elias with another strike

34 - Goal - Canning
Whoa Whoa Whoa i know it's the Cup and were becoming regular bottler but i wont tolerate this game getting beyond us

HT Kilmarnock 1-1 Aberdeen

As you'd expect we've been the better team but Billy Davies didn't rob me of manager of the year by accident as his team i showing.

2nd Half

54 - Disallowed Goal - Archer
Jeez Ref give us a break!

FT Kilmarnock 1-1 Aberdeen

So were going to Extra time after both sides fail to take chances to win the game

Extra Time

106 - Goal - Loeffen
Yes! I think this is the most relived i have been with a goal this season. Now operation hang on!

116 - Sub - Off Archer on Sneddon
Yeah i want him to get that medal

AET - Kilmarnock 1-2 Aberdeen

View attachment 332397

After a Season on loan at Rugby Park we regain the Scottish cup while we fumble our way to our 7th Scottish Cup in 9 years. First time we've been pushed to Extra time in a final and as i'd expect our fitness and talent shone through to give us the League & Cup Double. A very acceptable season following our recent domestic issues

2022/23 Season Review

SPL - Winner
Scottish Cup - Winner
League Cup - Quarter Final
Champions League - Last 16

Season Stats
View attachment 333089

Final team talk
"78 Games unbeaten Lads in the league were incredible but this season our cup form took a major nose dive. We could have done better in the Champions League and our League cup form MUST change next season. No Excuses"

SPL
View attachment 333090View attachment 333091

Our Undefeated streak is now the 2nd best in Domestic league HISTORY and still ongoing. We got 2 points less than last season but improved our goal difference by 33 goals. WOW!

Up next were Celtic who had a terrific second half of the season to finish well clear in 2nd. Kilmarnock were the team of the year and Hearts drop down to 4th with Rangers close behind. This will be a great battle next term.

Livingston were the unlucky side to fall through the trap door as Dunfermline return in perhaps the closest margin ever

View attachment 333092

Scottish Cup Final
Kilmarnock 1-2 Aberdeen AET

View attachment 333093

Scottish League Cup Final
Kilmarnock 1-0 Celtic

View attachment 333094

This result ended Celtic's 2 season hold on the title and set up the Scottish Cup final as the battle for the Double.

2022/2023 Awards

Footballer of the year
Mark Loeffen - 36 Games Ave 8.13
View attachment 333096

Top Scorer
Mark Loeffen 36 Games, 44 Goals
View attachment 333097

Young Player of the year
Helge Mjomen - 32 Games, Ave 7.72
View attachment 333098

Team Of the year
9 players again. Glowacki beating Alex Butler to the Right Back position
View attachment 333099

Darran Donalds "Jim Leighton award" player of the season
Michal Soldan
View attachment 333100

This year the trophy has special meaning. With his 65th birthday approaching Dons legend Jim Leighton has decided to retire as our Goalkeeping coach. Here's his Aberdeen CV where he spent 36 years of his life.

View attachment 333095
Player - 1977-88 & 1997-200
GK Coach - 2000-2009 & 2010-2023

Manager of the year
Billy Davis - Kilmarnock - Did i miss something here?
View attachment 333101

Match of the season
Aberdeen 12-0 Motherwell
View attachment 333102

Motherwell were the wrong team in the wrong place at the wrong time as we celebrated hogmany early

Signing of the season
Armand Essomba
View attachment 333103

Signed as back up but ended up playing over 30 games this season and has shown signs that he may be one for the future.

European Cups

Champions League Final
Real Madrid 4-1 Chelsea
View attachment 333104

The Spanish champions thrash the English Champions. Like in 2021 Real Madrid take the title off defending champions Aberdeen.

Europa League
Man Utd 1-0 Lyon
View attachment 333105

Man Utd win there 2nd Europa League in 4 seasons. Champions League soon? I hope so!

Dons Finances - May 29th 2023

Income
All main income sources go up but our profits this season is all down to player sales.
Match day income = £2.9m +£100k
Season tickets = £8.7m +£1.2m
Gate Receipts £16.6m +£1.1m
Players Sold £65m + £31m
Total = £166m +£44m

Expenditure
Expenses on the up from mass contract extensions
Player Wages =£29m -£1.5m
Total Bonuses =£8.4m +£1.5m
Staff Wages = £3.9m -£300k
Ground Maintenance =£68m -£64m
Total =£179m -£63m

Wages Currently £593,000 per week

So we've lost money but our mass exodus of players has almost balanced the cost of our new stadium which we'll have next year which will be a huge step forward.

Final Balance £33m -£13m

Scots in Europe
Celtic - Europa League last 16, Lost to Man Utd
Hearts - Europa League last 32, Lost to Lyon
Dundee Utd - Europa League final qualifying round, Lost to Viktoria Plzen
Motherwell - Europa League 3rd Qualifying, Lost to Lech

Scotland are Still ranked 9th in Europe which gives us the following European spots.
View attachment 333119

As this shows Aberdeen can't do it themselves and really need other teams to step up if we're to level up with Holland and Russia then push on to catch Portugal and get a extra Group spot in the Champions League, But that may be a long way off.

Other European Leagues

England
View attachment 333120

Chelsea combined there European Charge by dominating the Premiership. Man Utd still not threatening the Champions League places

Germany
View attachment 333121

Bayern and Dortmund battled to the end

Italy
View attachment 333122

Juventus back on top

Spain
View attachment 333123

Real Madrid score identical points as last seasons championship win

Going into the summer
No transfers arranged so far but with contracts coming up for renewal and the wage budget still has to shrink so it will be interesting to see who survives the summer cull of 2023 with my target for next season is to claim our 1st Domestic treble in 4 seasons.

Scotland

Squad
Exactly the same squad as when we played Republic of Ireland way back in March

Four Nations Tournament Match 2
At Hampden
Wales 1-3 Scotland
Lindsay
S Cairney
T Cairney

A Game of two half's. We were hopeless in the first half and went in at half time 1-1 but played in the 2nd half and goals from the Cairney duo settled the game for us

We've won it already. Dream scenario where we've won our two games but nobody else has managed a win.

View attachment 333191

Four Nations Tournament Match 3
At Hampden
Scotland 3-0 N Ireland
Sibbald
T Cairney
Macari

A Dominate win that sums up our strength and position over the 3 other British teams

And the final table shows how 3 teams can fight to finish as low as possible.

Final Table

View attachment 333192

Euro 2024 Qualifier Match 4
Turkey 0-0 Scotland

A boring draw Turkey have a great home record so for a change its a point gained rather than 2 lost. Sneddon won his 70th cap

Our expected rivals Belgium got a convincing win where we travel to next

View attachment 333193

Euro 2024 Qualifier Match 5
Luxembourg 0-3 Scotland* Not Aberdeen
Macari 2
T Cairney

A win was no surprise. Would have liked a few more goals but never mind. Jack Grimmer & Tom Cairney win there 70th cap, Stephen Hendrie his 60th

Belgium win against Armenia to overtake them into 2nd.

View attachment 333194

Last edited:
Great work and I love the new updates. Also, am I missing something or did Tom Cairney, Stephen Hendriie, Jack Grimmer and Macari sign for Aberdeen and play against Luxembourg in a friendly, that somehow count as a Scotland Euro qualifier.

Great work and I love the new updates. Also, am I missing something or did Tom Cairney, Stephen Hendriie, Jack Grimmer and Macari sign for Aberdeen and play against Luxembourg in a friendly, that somehow count as a Scotland Euro qualifier.

Haha. When i did a quick proof read i noticed i'd wrote Turkey 0-0 Aberdeen but changed that. Must have just posted right after that rather than doing the obvious and check the other fixture. Edited

Post Season

Summer News

Contacts
Chris Pierce & Derek Sneddon 2027, Youngsters Roy Strachan & Enzo Lupson extended there deals to 2026 as they progress to the 1st team. Next summer will be the wholly grail of contract signings with 5 current 1st team players all of whom are on big salary's.

12/6/2022
Transfer Window opens

New Signings
3 Players with the future in mind one who's progression will be especially important to club and country

Gavin Coutts 3*
View attachment 333565

I let him slip through my grasp as a youngster at Hearts as he went to Fulham in 2021. I had to pay over double what Fulham paid to get him but i expect him to be one of the best Scottish players coming through so where else to nurture him than under my wing

Toru Kanakubo - 3.5*
View attachment 333566

A 16 year old Japanese winger who will be hoping to pick up 1st team football with fellow junior winger Chris Gauld

Peter Sudimak - 4*
View attachment 333567

The next Marek Hamsik is certainly one of the best regens in the past few years

Out

Neil Kelly - Tottenham £1.4m
Gavin Coutts has a lot to live up to as we've recently struggled to produce Center midfielders and Kelly is a prime example of that. Spurs picking him up shows that there is some talent in there

Eddie McKeown - Hearts £120k & Gavin Hamilton - Fulham £180k

Two centeral defenders who were doing well in the youth team but showing nothing like the potential to take on our current defenders.

Last edited:

World Cup 2026 Qualifier Draw

Scotland remain top seeds but only by 1 place

Group 7
View attachment 333674

Russia will be the main danger, In fact I'd say they were they favorites to win the group despite being 20 places behind us in the World Rankings. Russia still have a World Class spine to the squad. Elsewhere Norway and Slovakia have there share of quality youngsters, 1 of each are at Aberdeen H Mjomen and P Sudimak respectively. Hungry look weak while Cyprus will be thrashed and thrashed often.

Season preview 2023/24
29 games and counting

Targets
In the League we have very few things still to achieve. A 100% winning season and breaking the World record for unbeaten domestic run is all im concerned about for this season.

League - Winner
Scottish Cup - Winner
Scottish League Cup - Winner
Europe - Champions league - Quarter Finals

Summer news
Celtic Change manager and philosophy as they make some signings under there new management structure
Hearts also spend big to try and keep up.

Manager Changes
Rudi Garcia - Paris SG
Didier Deschamps - Lyon
Alan Shearer - Sporting Lisbon
Brendan Rodgers - Celtic
Maarten Stekelenburg - Zaragoza

Transfers

Top June and July Transfers
English and German teams were the big spenders
View attachment 333769View attachment 333770

Top SPL Transfers
I'd Say Dundee Utd & Rangers were the only losers with Hearts, Motherwell and Celtic buying well
View attachment 333771View attachment 333772

First team 2023
Provisional
View attachment 333773

One significant change as the star player we lost was Arnaud Bamba. After 6 seasons, 6 league titles and 2 Champions Leagues Bamba makes the big move to Juventus for £22m. Its a coin toss over David or Armand Essomba but with Essomba having more potential he gets the nod to start the season.

Pre Season

Friendly's
Very short window for friendly's so will fit another 2 in between the 1st and 2nd SPL games

Cordoba 0-7 Aberdeen

Aberdeen 3-0 Hull

Aberdeen 3-0 Lyon

Man Utd 3-1 Aberdeen

Aberdeen Transfers
View attachment 333897

In

**** Meeuws - AT
View attachment 333898

I had the Dutch striker on my shortlist but missed his contract expiring but surprisingly there was little interest in him so Meeuws comes right into the team and leaves Roy Strachan having another season on loan while Meeuws fights with Hugo to be no2

Ruben Ruiz - DR/L
View attachment 333899

Ruben will never be winning world player of the year but will be back up to the 1st team and we'll see how he develops.

Jose Valente - MC
View attachment 333900

The Portuguese midfielder left Dortmund on a free as they spent huge sums of money during the summer but i think they've made a huge mistake removing Valente much to our gain.

Adama Coulibaly - DC
View attachment 333901

Champions League runner's up Chelsea released there youth Right back up defender and i will never quite understand. Can play right back or CEnter back have very reasonable stats and Adama will start the season as my 1st reserve defender

Out

Arnaud Bamba
254 Games 45 Goals
It took Bamba less than half a season to take a spot in the center of the Aberdeen midfield and he quickly became a vital cog along with Elias and Soldan to make one of the most formidable high scoring midfield's in Europe. The decision to sell was not taken lightly but with growing costs over the new stadium the board demanded a high earner had to leave and with Bamba demanding £80k a week which would have raised Soldan's wage to the same level left me with no choice and he's off to Italy to try and guide Juventus back to there 1st Champions league in almost 20 years.

Dougie Slane, Grant Lawson, Keigan Hegarty, Kyle Watson, Andy Lane, Peter Vucic and Roy Strachan all leave on loan to try and work there way into 1st team in the future.

Future transfers will depend on players leaving as my squad is as full as I'd like it to be

I just knew that Bamba would go. Sadly i must admit but i seen it coming. Are you chuffed with what you got for him?

Back