STAND FREE WHEREVER YOU MAY BE - And you thought Celtic beating Barca was something!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 405K

Scotlands European Championship squad
[video=youtube;FWfRQDIEXxc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWfRQDIEXxc[/video]

Ronnie Browne - Legend
By 2024 he would be 86 if he's still alive and well. He got Hampden buzzing!

Final 23 man squad

Goalkeepers - Caps/Goals
GK Craig Crawford - 56
GK Robbie Thompson - 21
GK Craig Reid - 23

Defenders
DR Jack Grimmer - 80/1
DL Stephen Hendry - 69/1
DL Murray Wallace - 31/1
DC Danny Wilson - 110/4
DC Grant Hanley - 101/4
DC Fraser Hamilton - 11
DC Liam Fotheringham- 35

Midfielders
MC Stuart Lindsay - 59/9
MC Tom Cairney - 80/12
MC Scott Robinson - 41/5
MC Greig Clark - 7
MC Mark Fotheringham 1
MC Gavin Coutts 1
MR Derek Sneedon - 80/31
MR Stewart Ross 12/1
MR Denny Johnstone 13/2
ML Craig Sibbald - 73/20
ML David Smith - 0

Forwards
AT Stevie Cairney - 26/14
AT Steven Macari - 29/10

It may look from the outside that especially with Stevie Cairney's fitness history our attack is very shot but 2 of the wingers can also play up front. Infact with the defenses versatility I've been able to add lost of midfielders to the final squad who will be around in the future like my old friend Gavin Coutts and debut winger Denis Smith, well maybe not as he's 30. Main player missing out is James Forrest who decided to retire.

Warm Up Friendlys

Portugal 0-2 Scotland
Macari
Johnstone

Andorra 3-3 Scotland
Sneddon
Sibbald
Cairney

Scotland 2-1 Austria
Sneddon
Sibbald

Extremadura 0-7 Scotland
Cairney
Sneddon 3
Hamilton
Fotheringham
Johnstone

Great result in Portugal is leveled out by an awful result in Andorra. Left a 11 day break for the team to get into prime fitness for the big kick off

Post Season

Summer News
Should have expected this knowing us and Stadiums, which will be 38,000 seats but construction is 2 months behind schedule so we might have to start the season at Pittodrie

View attachment 336770

Contacts
As i said last season this was the motherload of players contracts running out. 1st team stars signing on are Michal Soldan & Alex Butler who only signed a 1 year extension till 2026, Brett Archer and David till 2028 and the biggest deal of the lot Mark Loeffen till 2029.

Youth players preparing to step up with new contracts are Stephen Grant, Liam Cameron, Hugo, Peter Sudimak, Chris Gauld, Kyle Watson, Petar Vucic, Douglas Slane

One man who didn't sign on was Josep Cabestany who your about to read about below

12/6/2022
Transfer Window opens

View attachment 336763

In

Andrija Stojanovic - GK - 2.5*
View attachment 336764

Been a while since I've brought through a decent young keeper so i had a search and Stojanovic was very reasonably priced compared to the rest while looking just as good if not better than rivals

Andrew McCormick - AT - 1.5*
View attachment 336765

Might not have a great career at Aberdeen but he'll do better at our youth facility than at Hamilton's and may progress into a decent SPL forward

Steven Martin 1.5*
View attachment 336767

Same as McCormick except he comes from Partick

Other Signing Bahadir Kir and Petr Jerbek are already out on loan which is where they will stay so no point in photo's!

Out

We'll start with the heavy news of two more star 1st team players leaving

Josep Cabestany - Games 360, 118 Goals
View attachment 336768

8 seasons into legandary status at Pittodrie flew past for the Spanish Winger who wasn't good enough for Bayern. With his contract expiring next summer i expected a standard contract quickly agreed and onto the next player but Josep demanded a colossal fee well beyond our means as well as a match highest earner clause. I tried again just before the Euro's kicked off but his 1st Spain goal didn't help my cause and i was left with little choice but to sell. To be honest he was probably disappointed overall. Right up to 2021 I'd have said he was the most talented forward in my group but unlike Loeffen he never moved his game onto the next level and that ultimately made it easier to sell him to Real Madrid for £15m. Having Archer as back up means we have a ready made placement ready to jump into the position.

Helge Mjomen - Games 208, 4 goals
View attachment 336769

The Norwegian was destined to be a star at Aberdeen but it just wasn't to be. Spending his developing years on the fringes of the squad he capitalized on Oscar Nanclares leaving by taking his place on the left of defense. Things soon soured and despite becoming fully accomplished in the position the bright lights of Europe's super powers were too much and a £23m deal with Athletico Madrid was quickly pushed through for the 23 year old.

Other youngsters leaving on loan to SPL teams for experience or searching for future homes are Keigan Hegarty, Jose valente, Grant Lawson & Rubin Ruiz while Dougie Slane was not developing into a class player so i sold him to Dundee Utd for a meager £110k

View attachment 336772
Dons fans furious with club selling all its stars

Not only disappointed by loosing there beloved home for over 100 years pittodrie this summer Dons fans have yet again been snookered as they have lost there entire starting left wing. Having been forced into selling African player of the year Bamba last summer these latest superstars seeing the door has "pushed the fans too far" Were talking about a repeat of Arsenal in 2005 who were on top of the English game and moving into there new Mega stadium and all they did for the next decade was sell there star players and fall further off the pace in England. Its not what were wanting for our club having pulled there way out of the state they were in from 2000-2015.
Protest at a game.

[video=youtube;CnOcDuk_K3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOcDuk_K3E[/video]

View attachment 336772
Dons manager Donald was quick to respond
"We are failing to keep all of our best players but its not all doom in gloom guys. In fact this will be a great chance for local youth players like Stephen Grant and Chris Gauld a chance to move up into the team and become players of the caliber of Helge and Josep. And in the short term we have Brett Archer who's getting games for Fifa's No1 ranked team England and who i think can be at least as good as Cabestany on the left wings so please worry less about the squad state as i have it all in hand. Thank you"

Any chance of getting an SS of Loeffen's career history? Would love to see his Goal/Games/Assists stats.

Cheers

Spain 2024
View attachment 337072

Group D

Match 1

Denmark 1-1 Scotland
Sibbald

We had the best of the game but couldn't find a winning goal we just about deserved against a Danish defense featuring my former players Rene Andersen and Jens Andersen. Denmark had taken a lead into half time and so n after as his awful performance continued i hooked Marcari for Cairney who lead the attack which got us back into the game. One final incident at the end involving grant Hanley led to him being sent off and banned from our second match with N Ireland. Stuart Lindsay wins his 60th cap

View attachment 337073

Northern Ireland take this chance to go top of the table and give them a shot at qualifying for the later stages.
N Ireland 2-0 Romania

View attachment 337074

Match 2

Scotland 3-1 N Ireland
Robinson
Sneddon
Coutts

We may have won quite comfortably but how we missed so many chances, i say we i mean Stevie Cairney. Why are our starting forwards playing so badly. Better wise up for Romania Gavin Coutts late penalty made him the youngest scorer at Euros history. At 18 years and 100 days. Stephen Hendrie wins his 70th cap and Craig Sibbald his 75th Danny Wilson his 110th

View attachment 337075

As expected Romania's competition is over! WE just have to beat them in our last match and score as much as we can to secure top spot assuming Denmark beat Ireland

Romania 0-2 Denmark

View attachment 337076

Match 3

Romania 0-1 Scotland
Robinson

In the traditional Scottish style we didn't make it easy and in the end that cost us dear. The true important's of Cairney's 90th minute disallowed goal wasn't noted till full time. Danny Wilson becomes Scotland's most capped player getting his 113th cap beating Darren Fletcher's record

View attachment 337077

And the bellow result means that both sides go through but Denmark win the group on goals scored, 1 goal more than Scotland.

N Ireland 2-3 Denmark

Final Table
View attachment 337078

Other Groups
View attachment 337079View attachment 337080

Holland fail to win a game and finish bottom of the Group of death won by our next qualifying rivals Russia

Euro 2024
View attachment 337084

Second Round Draw
View attachment 337087

Portugal Vs Scotland
View attachment 337085View attachment 337086

Line Ups

Portugal
Davide Caseiro Has a broken nose which rules him out of the rest of the tournament

Scotland
No injury issue's but choices. Both Cairney's have been awful so I've dropped then both and pick Gavin Coutts in Midfield and put Sneddon up front with Stewart Ross on the wing. Aberdeen Keeper Craig Crawford wins his 60th Cap

1st Half

33 - Goal - Pereira

38 - Goal - Sampaio

HT - Portugal 2-0 Scotland

Yep you guessed it! Non of those goal scorers are Scottish. Portugal took there chances and now were going to have to go for it in the 2nd half

2nd Half

55 - Goal - Fernando Vaz
The Former Don ends Scotland chances here

71 - Goal - Macari
We put 3 up front and have gone gung ho. Another 2 please!

81 - Goal - Bruma
We took the chance of this happening but we had to go for it.

FT - Portugal 4-1 Scotland

Portugal went in as heavy favorites but this result really flattered the Portuguese. They shaded the game but our teams performances through this tournament left me expecting a result like this in the last 16.

View attachment 337088

Other Results
View attachment 337089

Russia were shocked by Switzerland after dominating the group of death while World Cup Finalists Czech Republic fell to Turkey

Mark Loeffen
League record
View attachment 337061

All time Aberdeen record
271 Games
281 Goals

Just beats a goal a game

He is just a machine!! If you ever sell him, hope you dont, but if you do, it has to be £35m+ possibly even £40m+

Truly outstanding. It's amazing how a great player can make an AVERAGE manager look good eh?? :P haha

He is just a machine!! If you ever sell him, hope you dont, but if you do, it has to be £35m+ possibly even £40m+

Truly outstanding. It's amazing how a great player can make an AVERAGE manager look good eh?? :P haha

Cheeky burger! To be fair he was a 1 man team last year and is the best attacker i've ever had. Usually i'd get rid of him when there is a exciting youngster coming through, Such as Hugo but Loeffen is too good to mess with. Had a few bids in the past but nothing in the past 2 seasons and he's always realativly easy to resign

Cheeky burger! To be fair he was a 1 man team last year and is the best attacker i've ever had. Usually i'd get rid of him when there is a exciting youngster coming through, Such as Hugo but Loeffen is too good to mess with. Had a few bids in the past but nothing in the past 2 seasons and he's always realativly easy to resign

Well thats good mate, would be nice to see him stay, i can't remember you posting it but has he beat the Aberdeen League goals record? Surely he must of.

Now thats pushing it! Loeffen isnt even a club legend like there great all mighty leader, namely ME! haha

Haha nice!! Is it seriously getting named after you?? That would be tremendous!!

Yep!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...c-beating-barca-something-47.html#post1732202

Recently found out it will hold 38,000, so hopefully there will be up to 50,000 with expansions. It was due to be ready in June but due to shoddy Aberdonian builders it wont open till August the 15th and will make its public debut against Kilmarnock 2 days later i imagine

Haha thats fantastic!! I would love a Stadium named after me!!

Its not just Builders that are shoddy......... haha

Haha thats fantastic!! I would love a Stadium named after me!!

Its not just Builders that are shoddy......... haha

Ok Enough is Enough
[video=youtube;PxzTTvXDzNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzTTvXDzNU[/video]

Rest of the Euro's
View attachment 337204

Quarter Finals
View attachment 337205

Germany needed penalty's to put out Monnard's Swiss team while Portugal beat there rivals and host's Spain. Favorites England & Italy through too.

Semi Finals
View attachment 337206

England win the unofficial final against Italy while Germany set up a very interesting final.

European Championship Final
Germany 1-0 England
View attachment 337207

Germany stun the World Champions in front of 98,000 fans with a 92nd minute winner. Only sad part for me is the Brett Archer came off injured

Ok Enough is Enough
[video=youtube;PxzTTvXDzNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzTTvXDzNU[/video]

Hahaha sorry mate!! Was only a joke, i deal with guys from Aberdeen everyday, really decent people!!

Scotland Euros Review
View attachment 337332

"The SFA Expect our team to be competitive in the World Cup"

We were more than competitive in the group stage with a draw against the top seeds Denmark then victory's against Romania and Northern Ireland only just missing out on top spot in the group phase.

Sadly the nation are still to win a knockout game in our history. Portugal destroyed us. Tried to be more defensive, that didn't work, Went all out attack, Than didn't work. Simply Scotland weren't good enough and my tactic's and approach weren't enough to overcome that.

/
However i and the SFA agree we achieved what they wanted to from the competition although i feel we were very poor in phases compared to the World Cup 2 years ago.

Fans had there say
Unlucky at the Euros.

" Thanks Golem but we didnt play well enough to go any further. Over the past 2 years our results and performances have dropped a level.

Despite playing worse and only reaching the last 16 were up to 8th in the World
View attachment 337333

Unlike the aftermath of the 2022 World cup I've not considered massive changes to my squad due to the lack of talent having developed which means two things for Argentina 2026. First we'll have a lot of players aged 31-34 and hopefully the youngsters i plan to bring in develop quick enough for us to have a good enough squad to make it to the competition then win a knock out match!

Like last time however i will confirm two players who's international careers are over. Tom Cairney was a vital part of my side right up till 2024 when it was clear a lack of club football affected his ability's as he was awful in the two matches he played. Gavin Coutts is not ready to replace him but I've brought him in anyway. Can't hurt too much. If we play any bigger teams I'll chuck in a more experienced player. The other player i mentioned earlier that James Forrest was retiring so obviously i wont be calling on him any more. Grant Hanley and Danny Wilson i hope will fade into just squad players and by 2026 probably will be out the squad while Scott Robinson is still much better than anyone except Stuart Lindsay so his place is safe for now.

Thank you

Tom Cairney
View attachment 337334

James Forrest

Back