STAND FREE WHEREVER YOU MAY BE - And you thought Celtic beating Barca was something!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 405K
Brings a tear to my eye lol. Loeffen is great but not as good as god himself

I disagree. Loeffen is a strker where as Aitor played in the midfield. Imagine them at the same team? Will do this go compare legends again if i Last another 10 seasons.

30 Years of Glory 10th May 1983
The night when Aberdeen and Fergie made a Real impression on Europe
View attachment 340469

The Fans Story of our greatest night!

They flew, they sailed, and travelled in their thousands, to embarking on a once-in-a-lifetime sporting odyssey.

They were the army of Aberdeen fans who ventured to Gothenburg in Sweden to cheer on Alex Ferguson's Dandy Dons on May 9 and 10 in 1983.
With hindsight, it was obvious that Aberdeen aficionados were determined to enjoy the mother of all parties, regardless of the result.

They shelled out nearly £50,000 at the Duty Free in Dyce, a sum which included the sale of 917 bottles of vodka, 400 of malt whisky, 15,000 cans of beer and lager, 66 bottles of champagne and more than 1000 bottles of rum, gin, brandy, sherry and various liqueurs.

View attachment 340470

As the contest approached, Gothenburg was temporarily transformed into Union Street x 20. As one journalist, Keith Anderson, observed: "The Madrid contingent were out-shouted, out-sung and just about out-everythinged"

So, at last, the big moment had arrived and it was against the eerie backdrop of thunder and lightning that they drove into Gothenburg and the Ullevi Stadium just after six.

The rain had grown heavier with every passing hour, gradually developing into a torrential downpour. But no amount of the wet stuff was ever going to dampen the enthusiasm of the 14,000 Scots who arrived amidst the deluge.

View attachment 340473

In the dressing room, Ferguson had primed his troops and prepared them for the imminent challenge. He spoke of Real's magnificent heritage, but reminded his compatriots they had nothing to fear if they performed to the height of their abilities.

[video=youtube;cCnax0x_tSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnax0x_tSk[/video]

Ferguson explained: "As the final whistle blew, I jumped off the bench and fell in a pool of water, only to be trampled on by the rush Not one of them looked at me, let alone helped me up! But, by the time I got to my feet, the pitch was a mass of people and the support were going great guns. It was fantastic"

Di Stefano, for his part, was magnanimous in defeat. "Aberdeen have what money can't buy - a soul: they are a team built in a family tradition."

In the bars and hosteries of Gothenburg, the triumphant fans revelled, loudly, passionately....peacefully.

View attachment 340474View attachment 340469

The chances are that nobody in Scottish football will do so. Aberdeen's victory ran so contrary to normal events in Europe that it was a breath of fresh air and when Ferguson went down to meet the fans on the St Clair ferry it consolidated the link between the customers and the champions.

Later, Eric Turner, the general manager of P&O Ferries, declared: "Not a penny was written off on the boat - there wasn't even a light-bulb broken."

View attachment 340475View attachment 340476

Should'nt we question fergie's hat rather than Eric Black's jumper
View attachment 340477

BBC Pictures of the Run to the final
BBC Sport - Aberdeen's glory in Gothenburg: 30 years on

January

100% record ends at our closest rivals
We reach the League Cup Final
Mark Loeffen in the world team of the year again.

Fixtures

Aberdeen 5-0 Hearts
Loeffen 3
Sneddon
Archer

A perfect way to warm up for the tricky trip to Parkhead

Celtic 3-2 Aberdeen
Loeffen 2

The Parkhead banana skin trips us again ending our 26 game unbeaten run and 100% league records. Nae happy!

Inverness 0-5 Aberdeen
Essomba
Loeffen 2
Elias
Glowacki

Back to normal but very annoying how we thrash these teams then loose to Celtic

Aberdeen 3-1 Kilmarnock
Loeffen
Glowacki
Hugo

We needed Killie to be down to 10 men before we could take control of this match and get the win. Even with 10 men it was a very late goal to make sure of the points. Derek Sneddon makes his 500th appearance for Aberdeen. Seems worthy of a special post later on!

Aberdeen 3-0 Dundee
Hugo
Sneddon
Essomba

No Loeffen (Suspension) and Elias (Injury) but we still had no problem against the league's bottom club

Ross County 0-2 Aberdeen
Sneddon
Loeffen

League cup S/F
Aberdeen 3-0 Dundee Utd
Loeffen
Sneddon
Lupson

An old fashioned Dons Domination. Dundee Utd didn't even manage a shot on goal in this semi final.

Celtic Also won 3-0 so the best two teams in the Scotland will meet in the final.

View attachment 340478

League
View attachment 340479

That table looks awful with a 25-0-1 record. With 10 games left were only 15 points clear so the other teams are improving considering Celtic and Rangers are only 18 and 21 points off a perfect season. Less perfect are the two Dundee teams at the bottom.

Player of the month
Michal Soldan
View attachment 340480

Now in his 30's and some stats have dropped a little bit but he's still our star midfielder who's approaching his 100 Czech cap.

I disagree. Loeffen is a strker where as Aitor played in the midfield. Imagine them at the same team? Will do this go compare legends again if i Last another 10 seasons.

lol. Herrera's finishing is 1 less than Loeffen. Imagine if I played him up front? In real life you would say one is playing in a mickey mouse league and is guaranteed far more goals and assists but I suppose my Bilbao team was so good I could have been in a league with the top 20 teams and still come out unbeaten!

lol. Herrera's finishing is 1 less than Loeffen. Imagine if I played him up front? In real life you would say one is playing in a mickey mouse league and is guaranteed far more goals and assists but I suppose my Bilbao team was so good I could have been in a league with the top 20 teams and still come out unbeaten!

Loeffen would do the same for any great team i believe. Rarley finishes games with young strkers appearaing for him after were 3-5 goals up 50-60 mins into the game too which will take away some of his goals.

In the end its a mythical battle 2 great players 2 different editions of the game. Like comparing Pele to Maradonna. I'll always say Diego the rest of the world will say Messi or Pele. Shame there is no way to put them in similar situations to see and there is only the attribute pages to compare them. Maybe once Loeffen is at his prime 28 or 30 we could put it to a vote to see what others think?

Loeffen would do the same for any great team i believe. Rarley finishes games with young strkers appearaing for him after were 3-5 goals up 50-60 mins into the game too which will take away some of his goals.

In the end its a mythical battle 2 great players 2 different editions of the game. Like comparing Pele to Maradonna. I'll always say Diego the rest of the world will say Messi or Pele. Shame there is no way to put them in similar situations to see and there is only the attribute pages to compare them. Maybe once Loeffen is at his prime 28 or 30 we could put it to a vote to see what others think?

I am surprised you even mentioned Messi - you think he is the most over-rated player of all time do you not? lol

I am surprised you even mentioned Messi - you think he is the most over-rated player of all time do you not? lol

Dang right i do. Massivly over-rated. Probably one of the top 5 players in the world today but overall in the history of the game i dont have him up there. Just mentioned him as recently when folk have mentioned best players ever you'll hear him up there with those two. Only used it as a example of when we debate players on different parameters.

January Transfers
View attachment 340715

At Aberdeen
Only one transfer was made but it could be massive over the next 20 years

In

Mertan Durmaz - ML - £5m
View attachment 340716

I found Mertan as a 14 year old in the Real Madrid youth team and i was immediately excited with what i found last year. Bided till they accepted then made him a MONSTER offer of £32,000 a week to ensure i got him signed up so he's already on the wage of a starting player and i hope he'll develop into this very fast, He wont be short of opportunities.

World Transfers
Italy and Spain spend the most in January
View attachment 340717

SPL Transfers
View attachment 340718

One move catches my eye. Scotland and Celtic starting forward Steven Macari moves on to Aston Villa for £12.5m. Celtic's replacement Lewis Flenley is not worth the cash in my opinion. 5 goals in 8 seasons after coming through the Man City reserves however i think Fillippos Atsasalis is a better prospect from a good window for the SPL aside from a star player leaving.

That youngster is insane. To be fair, I think Aitor looked slightly better at twenty four.

Derek Sneddon
View attachment 340958

Today my Longest serving player Derek Sneddon made his 500th appearance for Aberdeen. A summer signing costing £100k 11 seasons ago he quickly developed into my lead striker before his technical skills proved he was better used just off the lead striker where I've played him for club and country. Now at 27 Derek is hitting the prime of his career i would say he has 4-6 seasons starting for me then by the time he's 33-34 I'd expect to start phasing him out of the side.

Aberdeen Stats
App - 500
Goals - 187
Assist- 197

Trophy's

SPL - 7
Scottish Cup - 7
Scottish League Cup - 5
Champions Leagues - 2
World Club Cup - 2
Euro Super Cup - 1

Scotland
Caps - 88
Goals - 34

Personal Awards

Writers Player of the year - 3
SPL Top scorer - 1
SPL Player of the year - 2

By the end of the season Michal Soldan will also hit 500 appearances for Aberdeen then its a few seasons wait for Monnard, Pierce and Butler to possibly reach this achievement.

February

Another Old Firm defeat
Malkey Mackay replaces Derek Adams at Dundee
With Alloa not doing to great i add Dunfermline to my Scottish affiliated clubs.

Fixtures

Scottish Cup 5th Round
Dundee Utd 0-5 Aberdeen
David
Sneddon
Essomba
Meeuws 2

Comfortably through to the next round putting United out of 2 cups in 3days. No goals after going off with a knock but this was Mark Loeffen 300th appearance for Aberdeen scoring 322 goals.

The only Scottish team to beat us so far Celtic Await in the Quarter Final

Hibs 0-3 Aberdeen
Gauld
David
Meeuws

Went against my principals and rested players ahead of a Champions league game, Usually play them to keep them as match ready as possible but the midweek internationals took a lot out of some players.

Champions League Last 16 1st Leg
Porto 1-2 Aberdeen
Loeffen
Glowacki

A great result. We started out going toe to toe with there crazy offence which despite taking a early lead was a huge mistake as Porto equalized and were all over us but a defensive change saw us become much more stable and we grabbed a 2nd goal to put us well in the hot seat for the 2nd leg.

View attachment 341055

Aberdeen 2-3 Rangers
Loeffen
Glowacki

What a turn around from the result in Portugal. Our 1st home defeat since our back up team lost its last home game of the 2020/21 season against Hibs

St Johnstone 0-4 Aberdeen
Loeffen 4

All his goals came in the 1st 35 minutes. Amazeballs

Scottish Cup Q/F
Aberdeen 2-1 Celtic
Loeffen
Sneddon

This was a great battle in Aberdeen. We took the lead but Celtic were level before half time a better 2nd half performance saw us make the Semi finals and more importantly avoided a 3rd defeat to the Old Firm in a row. Regular final opponents St Johnstone meet us in the Semi finals

League
View attachment 341056

Another frustrating defeat to one half of the old firm only slows our charge to the title. Celtic and Rangers look set to battle for 2nd while Malkey Mackay has a big fight on to secure top flight place.

Player of the month
Enzo Lupson
View attachment 341057

Remember him? Been a back up for ever but with Fotheringham and Pierce getting injured Lupson played lots in February

Scotland

Albania 2-3 Scotland
Grimmer
M Fotheringham
Hamilton

Many youngsters and back up players got the adventure out to Albainia. few made an impression.

View attachment 341058

Youth Intake 2025
3 Players with 1 destiny for great things!

Gk - Rhulani Mabena 2*
View attachment 341099

Half Scottish Half South African but signed up. Might be back up one day.

AT - Willie Hunter 2.5*
View attachment 341100

Oh dear. Kept him on out of interest but his name will make me laugh for decades.

AT - Martin McCulloch 4.5*
View attachment 341101

Watch out Mark Loeffen, Hugo and **** Meeuws. Here's the wonderkid I've been waiting for!

Scottish League Cup Final 2025
View attachment 341135

Celtic Vs Aberdeen
View attachment 341133View attachment 341134

Not a bad way to spend my 700th game at Aberdeen

Team News

Celtic
Regular keeper Craig Crawford is illegible due to being owned by me. Star center back Marjan Stokoski is banned with back up Bruno injured. Scotland winger Stewart Ross is also out injured while new striker Filippos Atsalis is also struggling with fitness.

Aberdeen
Defender Adama Coulibaly is possibly out for the season while Captain Alex Butler is away with Australia on international duty for a game with a team who are becoming more of a burden than they have been in almost a decade.

The Match
View attachment 341136

FT - Celtic 2-4 Aberdeen

A big victory over a stronger rival in Celtic, My 20th trophy. It should have been a great day but ended up with a black mark against the day as Sneddon looking for his hattrick tore his calf Muscle leaving him out till next season and a painful blow to my Scotland team.

Scotland

Squad
Injury victims Fotheringham, Coutts, Fyvie, Clark all return while My Dons Regen Martin McCulloch jumps right into the Scotland squad. Future Cap record holder perhaps?

Friendly
Greece 0-0 Scotland

No pictures to bore you all. Macari joins Sneddon on the sick list. Aged 15 years and 250 days Martin McCulloch becomes the youngest Scottish player ever by almost a year.

World Cup Qualifier Match 5
Scotland 1-3 Russia
Edwards

Very disappointing result. Only disappointing because we had the lead. Once we had it we had to protect it but when Russia knocked the door down we didn't have the strength in our attack to do any further damage to the Russians. Grant Hanley won his 110th Cap

View attachment 341232

March

8th League title in the bag
Revenge on Porto and the last 16 to finally return to the last 8
Thriller at home to Celtic to end the month

Fixtures

Champions League Last 16 2nd Leg
Aberdeen 1-1 Porto
Loeffen

AGG Aberdeen 3-2 Porto

Fast breaking sharp shooting Porto are out at the hands of the Dons. Our 1st knockout phase match since leaving Pittodrie saw us finally get back into the Quarter Final. It wasn't easy for us and with keeper Monnard winning man of the match shows it wasn't without a lot of stress.

View attachment 341235

Shocks from the 1st knockout phase are Juventus beating Barcelona on away goals and defending champs Man City easily putting out Bayern Munich

View attachment 341237

Aberdeen 7-1 Motherwell
Elias
Fotheringham
Loeffen 3
Gauld
Grant

We only beat Motherwell by massive margins

Aberdeen 4-0 Dundee Utd
Loeffen 3
Archer

Comfortable win at our nearest neighbors secures our 8th title in a row. Such an occasion was perfect for Mark McColloch to make his debut

Aberdeen 6-3 Celtic
Loeffen 3
Pierce
Elias
Archer

What a game, well 2nd half. At half time it was 1-1, by the 60th minute we were 5-1 ahead after 15 minutes of genius from the Dons.

League
View attachment 341239

Were the champions. Battle for 2nd is tied as is the battle for 4th. At the Bottom both Dundee sides find some form and suddenly Inverness Ct are bottom.

Player of the month
Elias
View attachment 341240

Fresh from scoring his 100th league goal for Aberdeen while still getting back to his best following his major injury last season

Champions League Draws

View attachment 341394

Quarter Final
Benfica, Lyon or Leverkusen are the teams i want

View attachment 341395

Well it ended up the other way around. Defending Champions fresh from thrashing Bayern Munich will be our next European test.

Semi Finals
View attachment 341396

Ok so Man City isn't bad enough then if we perform a miracle and get past them then we face 3 times in a row La Liga winners Real Madrid, Still managed by Jose Mourinho

View attachment 341397
Tricky tie for the Dons

Darran Donald is aiming to win his 3rd Champions League with Aberdeen but to do it this year he will have to overcome arguably the two top teams in Europe at the moment. To get into the final 4 Aberdeen must beat fellow 2 times winners Man City. Between Aberdeen, Real Madrid & Man City these 3 clubs have controlled the Champions League for the past 5 years and with it looking very likely that one of these teams will be in the Final at Wembley to take another title.

Back