Stone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 224
  • Views Views 68K

Season 3 - Aston Villa

Maybe my last season at the club. We do well then we might get a bigger club. We loose then we'll be sent down to the SPL. Back to Villa and there's quite a few changes with all the loan players returning we had to get out and buy replacements. After many rejections we finally managed to put together a decent starting 11 with some good depth in some positions.

Pre Season 2019/20
View attachment 74531
9 wins from 9 with Barcelona and Hoffenheim falling at our feet.

Pre Season Prices
View attachment 74530
15th place. Yep i'd take that. Top half is the dream but this is a building season for the club with 2020 being when i expect a top 10 challenge

Premiership 2019 The Managers
View attachment 74529
Easiest way i could think to show them was to put there highest fee's in order. Big moves are Klopp taking over from a retiring Wenger at Arsenal, Enrique taking his job. Pep was sacked in the summer and Tottenham's Mauricio Pochettino moved to take his job. I quietly pursued the Spurs job but they went for the more experienced Allegri. Deschamps at Newcastle and Javier Aguirre to Everton and Celtic's Brendan Rodgers coming back to the big leagues are the major changes with 9 managers staying on from the start of the save

Aston Villa Squad
View attachment 74528
We'll be going more defensive with 40+ difficult games. A brilliant summer for the club. Not only have we replaced most of the loans with our own players and most of them are upgrades on the players we had ast season.

Aston Villa Transfers
View attachment 74527
A mix of Premiership regulars and interesting youth prospects.

IN

Rafinha - MC
View attachment 74526
After paying £13m for a Brazilian international you would expect him to be the first name on the team sheet. Nah he'll be big for playing the smaller teams but he's been bought now to make a profit off in the next few summers

Mich Batshuayi - AT
View attachment 74525
A former Chelsea striker is on the move for the second summer in a row. 3 goals from 24 appearances is not what you would expect to lead you too Premiership survival but when comparing him to Berahino who was the only player i was in the hunt for was costing almost £20m.

Manuel Akanji - DC
View attachment 74524
West Ham paid out £11.5m for the young Basel defender and were hoping that this player will kick on and be a star for us

Other players
View attachment 74522View attachment 74521View attachment 74523View attachment 74519
My favorites were Pratey for a steal at £5m, no less than Lucas was at £1.5m

Loans
View attachment 74518View attachment 74517View attachment 74516
Rashford and Lirola will be involved weekly and Malang Sarr will be back up hopfully

Out
Birkir Bjarnason was the big player leaving. Could have dropped down to be 4th or 5th choice player and when it became clear that i could replace him with Rafinha for almost the same amount of money it was a no brainer. I finally sold Aaron Tshibola even if it was for £180k. Grealish is also falling down the pecking order and is surplus. Shame we could only loan him but at least there's a chance to sell him next season.

Premiership Transfers
View attachment 74515
Was totally caught of guard with this closing before the end of August with no mention on my calendar. Lucky for me i had most of my transfers done.

Lacazette's move to Liverpool is a huge shift in power perhaps. Man Utd and Man City buy future balond dor candidates. Big gap between the top 6 and the rest in spending.

World Transfers
View attachment 74514
View attachment 74513

June's transfers is mostly to the Premiership then the rest of Europe get going in July. Aubameyang moves on from Dortmund and in german tradition Kai Havetz the best German youth moves to Bayern. Samuel Umtiti makes a strange move to Monaco from Barca who strangely picked up Everton's Idrissa Gueye. PSG of course are involved with Diawara and Romero much lower key transfers than past summers

Last edited:
Surprised you managed to get Rashford on loan 2 years into the game. Although he doesn't look like he has developed much...has had much game time for Man Utd in the last 2 seasons?

Rafinha looks like he might be really useful to have; he will be able to cover quite a few positions in the unlucky chance you get any injuires.

Surprised you managed to get Rashford on loan 2 years into the game. Although he doesn't look like he has developed much...has had much game time for Man Utd in the last 2 seasons?

Rafinha looks like he might be really useful to have; he will be able to cover quite a few positions in the unlucky chance you get any injuires.

Amazingly he's been on the loan list since last summer. His first season was really good with 17 starts, 27 appearances and 15 goals but last season he only made 15 appearance and scored 3 goals.

2019 Community Shield

View attachment 74371

Man Utd vs Aston Villa

A repeat of last season's League Cup Final

Man Utd 0-0 Aston Villa
Villa win 9-8 On Pens
View attachment 74370
The Keepers decided it as Andreas Lukse missed for Man Utd and our Bruno Varela score the decieve goal.

August

We come through our first 3 games unbeaten including a win at Anfield

Fixtures
View attachment 74351
Tottenham ended our perfect start which especially blows after we were 2 goals clear.

Premiership Table
View attachment 74349
The Manchester teams, Chelsea and Burnley lead the way, Not much different from real life huh. Villa are next up but the question is how long can we stay up here

Europa League Draw
View attachment 74348
PSV are the kings of this group but even they are beatable. A very fair draw for us.

August Transfers
View attachment 74347
Very little late business. Is Mkhitaryan the man to replace Lacazette?

September

5 goals in 16 minutes at home to Swansea
View attachment 74296

Fixtures
View attachment 74295
Elsewhere we lost our first match of the season as Newcastle swept us aside. A thrilling draw at West ham again showed our defensive frailties and our League cup defense lasted all of 90 minutes

Premiership Table
View attachment 74294
We move into the top 4 despite a drop off in form, Burnley are up to 3rd having a even better season and both of us have a top 3 goalscorer. Stoke are the last team without a win

Europa League Table
View attachment 74293
We had to fight from behind to win our first game in the Europa League. PSV set out there intent with a 5-1 win over APOEL

October

Fixtures
View attachment 74100
Great success in the Europa League and despite a defeat at Man Utd it was more than made up for with a victory at Villa park over Chelsea helped us on our way to 6 points from the 3 game a total i am more than happy with.

Premiership Table
View attachment 74099
We're just a point outside of the top 4 teams Hull and Burnley meaning if we win next time out at Hull we'll be in the Champions League spots. Right bellow us in the table neither Southampton or Tottenham dont look any more likly to drop there manager than Man Utd who are still perfect at the top.

Europa League Table
View attachment 74098
Two more wins and we reach the half way point with a perfect record and if we and PSV win again in match day 4 we'll be into the last 32

November

The clubs busiest month of the season and despite the best 11 getting plenty of rest we've lost 2 league games in a row including a mauling at Arsenal and then loosing to bottom of the table Leicester

Fixtures
View attachment 73882

Premiership Table
View attachment 73881
Man Utd finally drop a point, sooner than City in the real world. We're still 4th and need a win in a huge game with Southampton next time out with most of the tradition top 6 teams right on our heels.

Europa League Table
View attachment 73880
We've secured top spot going winning all 5 games. Sadly i cant play u18s as i forgot to register them!

December

Our first job opportunities arrives at Aberdeen.
View attachment 73817

However they basically tell me to hand in my notice at Villa but i decide to stay and fight for a Champions League spot.

View attachment 73816

Fixtures
View attachment 73820
A solid result with Southampton with a thrashing at Man City dealt blows to our new aim of a solid top half finish.

Premiership Table
View attachment 73819
The month wasnt a total disaster. Man Utd have bolted 15 points up the road but Chelsea are just up the road 4 points ahead but there's only 5 points between us in 3rd and 12th place Stoke.

Europa League Table
We win our final game and are into the last 32

Last 32 Draw
Monchengladbach vs Aston Villa
View attachment 73818
The Germans drop from the Champions League and will come to fortress Villa Park

January

Aberdeen hire there new manager, despite him being Ryan Christie's dad i think the job will be up for grab again soon.

View attachment 73652

My favorite headline of the season so far
View attachment 73651

Classy man!

Fixtures
View attachment 73650
4 wins and progression to the FA Cup 4th Round. Only our rivals for 3rd Tottenham managed to beat us this month.

Premiership Table
View attachment 73649
We're i the top 4 and hold a 5 point lead over the chasing pack. Quick look at the other teams see Man Utd still unbeaten, Out of shot Leicester and Swansea are in deep trouble with Everton also in bottom 3.

Transfer Window

Villa
View attachment 73647

In

Jose Gomez - DR
View attachment 73648
We were not good enough for him in the summer but his understudy at Juve Pol Lirola must have sent back good word about us and for just over £10m he moves to Villa park.

Dominik Livakovic - GK
View attachment 73646
A big upgrade between the sticks. The downside his £100k a week in wages.

Luciano Vietto - AT
View attachment 73645
I could not believe it when on deadline day i had a look to see who was available for the £3m we had left to spend and amazingly sitting there for £2.1m is Vietto. And even better we only needed to part with £50k a week in wages. I could have tried a deal for a deal in the summer but for the premiership run in he'll be huge for us. Already scoring in his official debut and scoring 9 in his match with the u19s

Out
We sell off Chris Cadden for a massive profit with Jose Gomez on the way in he was surplus to requirement and Lirola will do as back up till the summer. A few youngsters leave on loan with less 1st team chances available.

World
View attachment 73644
Ousmane Dembele hates being involved in £100m deals. Real Madrid and Man City change there keepers while Bayern buy the best Right back i've seen in the save Lukas Klostermann after only 6 months at Dortmund.

Vietto looks an unreal buy specially at that price!

Got a screenshot of that Bayern Right back mate?

Loving the classy man headline! Going really well in the league mate, KIU

February

Another addition to "best month of the season" Man Utd trashed us four our only league defeat but thats my fault as i went on the attack at Old Trafford to try end there unbeaten season.

We were warned of his injury history and here's why!
View attachment 73483

Fixtures

Three domestic games on the bounce for my youth and back up players and they won them on aggregate 12-2

Premiership Table
View attachment 73482
We might of not done it but Burnley did and United lost there first League game of the year but are still 9 points clear with a game in hand. The only other job for me in this league of course is Tottenham who are 2nd. Were now up to 3rd but only 4 point between the 4 teams in 3rd to 6th

Europa League Last 32

1st Leg
B Monchengladbach 0-4 Aston Villa
View attachment 73481
Not much need for a 2nd leg? Total walkover. hardest part of this was googling there name

2nd Leg
Aston villa 1-2 B Monchengladbach
Aston Villa win 5-2 on AGG
View attachment 73480
We lost our first European match of the year but it was with a very reserved side.

Last 16 Draw
View attachment 73479

Unlucky with the injury!!

(Great to see Harry Kane the top goal scorer :P)

March

Two wins in the League & in Europe. But a big loss in the FA Cup Quarter Finals in more ways than one

View attachment 73302

Mitchy set to miss up to month as Chelsea end our dream of retaining the FA Cup. Our last real struggle is beating the big teams, i've tried changing the tactics to counter but just cant seem to plug the hole against better teams. yet

Fixtures
View attachment 73301

Premiership Table
View attachment 73300
We reach the dizzy heights of 2nd with a few easier games as all around us team drop points

Europa League Last 16

1st Leg
Aston Villa 8-2 Bournemouth
View attachment 73299
As a Man Utd fan this is my favorite footballing score, Was at Man Utd 8-2 Arsenal many moons ago. On this day Batshuayi went bezerck and Bournemouth certainly did not look in our league.

2nd Leg
Bournemouth 2-3 Aston Villa
Villa win 11-4 on agg
View attachment 73298
Was expecting a defeat in the 2nd leg but 2 first half red cards for the Vicarage road tenants sunk them to another defeat

Quarter Final Draw
Sporting vs Aston Villa
View attachment 73297
Turkish side Krasnodar would have been the dream draw but Sporting is the next best thing.

April

4 defeat from our last 5 games with a little help from the Premiership giving us a Monday night game 2 days before a Europa League Semi Final!

Fixtures
View attachment 73240
When we fought back from 2 goals down at Southampton to win i had a great feeling for the month but after that we could not find 3 goals the rest of the month. Wolves caught us off guard, We still struggle away to the big teams and Watford came up against my u18's and back ups

Premiership Table
View attachment 73239
And the back up team at Watford could have huge implications. We're not resorting to a Europa League or bust approach just bad scheduling which cost us our game in and and leave's us 4 points off 2nd and only 3 points ahead of Chelsea in 5th. Batshuayi's hopes of the golden boot may have been lost with that injury.

Europa League Quarter Final

1st Leg
Sporting 2-6 Aston Villa
View attachment 73238
After falling behind at the start it looked like we would be in trouble before our regular attacking wonders reserved for the Europa league shone through once again

2nd Leg
Aston Villa 0-1 Sporting
View attachment 73237
We played a strong team but not strong enough to win on the night. 4 Goals was too much for the Lisbon side to overcome.

Semi final Draw
Inter vs Aston Villa
View attachment 73236
Glad we avoided City but Inter only 5th in Serie A need to win this competition even more than we do.

Back