Tactic Set for all teams - Great results - Patch 9.3

thank you for these great tactics mate. They all do what they say. Im getting great results with my improved, exciting Blackburn Rovers side against the weaker prem sides and lots of draws and 1 goal wins against the better teams.

I have only been tonked once using the counter tactic against Arsenal, 4-1. Although even during that game I managed to create loads of chances. just beat Cheslea 3-2 using the counter one.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
thank you for these great tactics mate. They all do what they say. Im getting great results with my improved, exciting Blackburn Rovers side against the weaker prem sides and lots of draws and 1 goal wins against the better teams.

I have only been tonked once using the counter tactic against Arsenal, 4-1. Although even during that game I managed to create loads of chances. just beat Cheslea 3-2 using the counter one.

Thanks again.

Try the 7.Defensive against arsenal next time( assuming they still play the same style under the management of Wenger etc etc)

Also. First post have been updated with a slightly better description of the sets, at the bottom. (Explaining that the 41221 is for better teams whilst the 442 semi Tm is for lesser etc etc)

Okay mate will do, I have a good side in Blackburn so I was reluctant to play the Defensive set against anyone as I wanted to go toe to toe with the best, lol. But I will deffo Try it and let you know how it goes, cheers...

i donno what the problem is but I am currently using your tactics every single one of them and they kind of don't work for my villa side I lead in the first half and then they equalise and then they score a lae goal to win the game.

I either draw or lose at the last point.

can you make something like a custom formation for my team? :D

i donno what the problem is but I am currently using your tactics every single one of them and they kind of don't work for my villa side I lead in the first half and then they equalise and then they score a lae goal to win the game.

I either draw or lose at the last point.

can you make something like a custom formation for my team? :D

Is it the first season with Villa?. Then I would use the more defensive versions for the first half of the season. There is something fishy about them. Firstly, you have to do the press-conf your self as your ***-man always(in my save at least) upsets my players. It does not say so, but when I look at the players they are all insecure if the can win the coming match. So what I am saying is..its a mental problem and not tactical

Is it the first season with Villa?. Then I would use the more defensive versions for the first half of the season. There is something fishy about them. Firstly, you have to do the press-conf your self as your ***-man always(in my save at least) upsets my players. It does not say so, but when I look at the players they are all insecure if the can win the coming match. So what I am saying is..its a mental problem and not tactical

Currently Im using your 4231 formation home attacking so I need to change it to the defensive type? or just change the mentality of every player?

Currently Im using your 4231 formation home attacking so I need to change it to the defensive type? or just change the mentality of every player?

Not tweaking, use the more defensive versions, like Attack away or balanced when playing at home and probably defensive and counter when playing away

Not tweaking, use the more defensive versions, like Attack away or balanced when playing at home and probably defensive and counter when playing away

Just lost to spurs 3-1 using the defensive so ****** at my sqaud!! :$

Drew United at home now Im in 6th...fianl standing.

BetterHalf- fantastic insight and detail- thanks. The key to your tactics seems to be reading the AI and reacting to its changes (which i am rubbish at and find the game v frustrating).

Can u explain how to read the AI and especially when they change tempo or become more attacking/defensive? Watching the full match is obviously a starting point.

Seeing how high their D-line is, i am sure is obvious!

Then do you look at how much they close you down?- if so what does this indicate?

How high up the pitch their wingers/AMC are, short or long passing etc?

ps your individual match analysis for happy hammers was really helpful. if u have more please post. otherwise best of luck with it!!

I must say i have been very impressed with your thread.Most people claim to have the real deal for tactics but i just ignore them but i'm going to download all of yours. You seem to know your stuff and have put alot of effort into them. Very smart way to do it and im guessing you put a bit of thought into what tactic to use for each team etc.

Will update you with how i get on

I tried the tactics out this weekend with an old shrewsbury town save and they worked really well (442 semi target man). played 6 won 4 drew one lost one so far

watching the full game has taught me how to read the AI and react to changes in time. I also like how your tactic attacks through channels when the opposition AML/R and wing backs push forward (when using counter or attack away).

Thanks for your post!! i was about to quit playing FM09!!

ps if u can post more game analysis from your happy hammer project that would be massively helpful!!- great insight into how to analyse weaknesses in opposition tactics.

First post has been updated with 3 new sets

• 442 for topnotch teams
  • 4411 for hardworking teams
  • 4231 NO Target man

Also, the 4231 Semi target man has been updated with a new Attack home version( separate download link), making the set complete

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Latest result using the new set, 4411
First season, only 1 signing, Alex Witzel. If playing with Villa, just remember to keep your *** man, Robertson, as far away from team talks and the press as possible. ..or sack him

villa.png

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I must say i have been very impressed with your thread.Most people claim to have the real deal for tactics but i just ignore them but I'm going to download all of yours. You seem to know your stuff and have put a lot of effort into them. Very smart way to do it and I'm guessing you put a bit of thought into what tactic to use for each team etc.

Will update you with how i get on

Just read your post

Thanks !

hi mate, could u check the 442topteam pack??? the SUS tactic is the right one, or is the one for the 4231???

_perfido_

hi mate, could u check the 442topteam pack??? the SUS tactic is the right one, or is the one for the 4231???

_perfido_

It is correct, one of the Fcs become a AMC. This is important as we gain possession in-between their defence and midfield and at the same time close down their 2 mcs better

Just had a look at the 442 semi-TM pack to see how yours differs to mine, can't really use it as it appears your TM usage is a quick striker where mine is a big guy (Cardozo). Was trying to figure why your TM was the most advanced, then saw Run Onto Ball and realised.

Your tactic holds formation much better than my version, i'm guessing this is due to zonal + loose marking at the back and a greater difference in closing down between defenders and midfields. I guess OI is so important because of zonal+loose at the back? Not figured out why you have the wingbacks on hold up ball rather than a midfielder...

You seem to use mentality system different than TTF suggests, with huge differences like Attack Away, whats your theory on how to use that setting?

Gave me a few more ideas to try to improve my tactics so thanks for that.

Just had a look at the 442 semi-TM pack

Not figured out why you have the Fullbacks on hold up ball rather than a midfielder...

You seem to use mentality system different than TTF suggests, with huge differences like Attack Away, whats your theory on how to use that setting?

They are on HUB because it slows the game down a bit and some versions it acts like a decoy to draw the opposition on to us. This is also a great pointer as if we using the correct version.If our FBs get closed down very early and we loose possession its time to change to another version were play play more direct( straight towards the goal, not the teams average settings in passing length).

As for the attack away version, here is a qoute from SI, answering the same question

"The reason for me having 7, inlcuding a Attack away, version, is that I want to have 3 version playing with quicker tempo and attack the space that is already there, not caring so much about possession

Overload
  • Attack Home
  • Counter

....and 3 version playing slower, more patient and with more possession, trying to create space by drawing the opposition out of position.
  • Control
  • Attack away
  • Defensive

...and with the Balanced version somewhere in-between with a tempo suited for the formation and with all versions being tweaked from that versions. So in some sets, like the 41221, Balanced will be slower, with the consequence that attack Home will be slower than in one of the 442 sets"

Last edited:
So i created a game and i am all 4 home nations + Rep. Ireland and i have been using it with different sides and found mixed results. With England the diamond formation is working a treat boasting wins like Germany 2-6 England and beating Andorra 13-0. Won all my qualifying games np and won all but one of my friendly's (lost away to spain, played a few weaker players though)

With Scotland i'm using the 4-4-2 no TM and although i started off with some gitters losing 1-0 Iceland away the team got used to it and i ended up beating Holland at home and the Czech Rep in the play offs

With the Republic of Ireland i used 4-4-2 no TM again started slow but picked up some fun wins 9-0 Cyprus and a home draw with Italy. unfortunaltly lost to Portugal in play offs

Wales & N.Ireland i did a decent job considering there groups and player quality. finished 3rd in both groups and got some decent results over germany and the Czech Rep.

From what i can see so far the tactics are pretty swish and work well if you use them properly.

I will start a game as Bolton tonight and let you know how i do with a club side.