Tactics & Training: The " I have a small question " thread

I believe the player role options just correspond to preset slider positions. So for example, if you pick a player's role as Inside Forward with Attack duty then the sliders will be in one set of positions. If you change that player's role to Defensive Forward with a Defend duty, the sliders will move to a different set of positions. However, if you manually move the sliders back to the Inside Forward, Attack positions, then that player will play exactly the same as if his role had been set as Inside Forward, Attack.

The nice thing about the roles though, is that the sliders will adjust according to your team instructions whereas if you set them manually, they won't.

I always have a hard time wrapping my head around the playmaker and targetman roles

I know Playmaker = man who makes things happen

Targetman = who you look to get ball to

But when should you use them and when should you not (as I know many tactics don't use them)

I run a 4-4-2 diamond and have the AMC set as Playmaker and targetman to feet to increase the number of touches he gets. But in match analysis he really doesn't have any more extra touches.

I've also heard making one of your strikers a target man will make the other team defend him more tightly. Also when you set these roles, don't they both sort of instruct your players to focus on passing to them? If you set a Playmaker and Targetman, who gets the priority when it comes to receiving passes? The playmaker who is responsible for creating opportunities or the targetman who you look the get the ball to?

Essentially, what I want to know is, what do I gain from not having anyone selected for these roles?

Would it be better in my diamond formation to have one of my MC's selected as playmaker since he sits deeper and can play to my two strikers AND the amc?

I'm new here, i started with FM 2011. 1st time i lost my job . Now my team is Atletico Madrid and i have played 6 games on league i got 1 victory, 1 draw and 4 losts. I use 4-4-2 formation, Control, Fluid.
Passing - shorter
Creative freedom - More Expressive
Closing down - Press more
Tackling - More Caution
Marking - Zonal Marking
Crossing - Default
Roaming - More Roaming

Why don't my tactic works ?
Do i need change every game defensive line, Width, Tempo and so ?

Hi, sorry if this question has already been asked before but what does the 'move in channels' option mean. The other options are fairly easy to understand (Hug touchline, cut inside etc.) But I can't get my head around that option. Thanks :)

What is the best basic tactics for the LLM team? I play in the Swedish final division and they have no good attributes ... if anyone could recommend a good basic tactics like to have a 4-4-2 =) grateful for the help ..

I'm new here, i started with FM 2011. 1st time i lost my job . Now my team is Atletico Madrid and i have played 6 games on league i got 1 victory, 1 draw and 4 losts. I use 4-4-2 formation, Control, Fluid.
Passing - shorter
Creative freedom - More Expressive
Closing down - Press more
Tackling - More Caution
Marking - Zonal Marking
Crossing - Default
Roaming - More Roaming

Why don't my tactic works ?
Do i need change every game defensive line, Width, Tempo and so ?

You don't need to change things to every game, but you have to also set correct player roles. You should consider player's attributes and what it brings to your tactic when deciding them. You don't want to use Diego Forlan as a target man...

Does anyone have an idea why my team's familiarity with a tactic would suddenly plummet at the beginning of a season?

My team has played the same three tactics for the last 4 seasons. An attacking 4-5-1, a counter 4-5-1 and a defensive 4-5-1 with 2 DMs and 1 CM. At the start of every season, each tactic would have close to full bars in match preparation. This season I decided to replace my attacking 4-5-1 with a 4-2-3-1. (I actually made the switch in match preparation with two months left to go in the last season). When my players returned from break, the bars for all three tactics fell to the awkward stage.

There wasn't a lot of player turnover. 2 players left who had hardly played. I had 3 new signings and one player come in from the youth squad. The majority of the rest of the players have played my 4-5-1 tactics all 4 years.

One big difference in the 4-5-1 tactics and the 4-2-3-1 is that I changed the tempo from slow to fast. Is that enough to destroy the familiarity with my slow tempo tactics?

Edit: I just thought of something else. I also changed my assistant manager during the offseason.

How would you approach a game against Barcelona, Im Madrid and played them twice and have been beaten 2-1 both times.
The second time I used mind games in the build up but it blew up in my face because we were 2-0 down after 20 mins, a firey team talk made my team produce better second half but we still lost. Any help?

Does anyone have an idea why my team's familiarity with a tactic would suddenly plummet at the beginning of a season?

My team has played the same three tactics for the last 4 seasons. An attacking 4-5-1, a counter 4-5-1 and a defensive 4-5-1 with 2 DMs and 1 CM. At the start of every season, each tactic would have close to full bars in match preparation. This season I decided to replace my attacking 4-5-1 with a 4-2-3-1. (I actually made the switch in match preparation with two months left to go in the last season). When my players returned from break, the bars for all three tactics fell to the awkward stage.

There wasn't a lot of player turnover. 2 players left who had hardly played. I had 3 new signings and one player come in from the youth squad. The majority of the rest of the players have played my 4-5-1 tactics all 4 years.

One big difference in the 4-5-1 tactics and the 4-2-3-1 is that I changed the tempo from slow to fast. Is that enough to destroy the familiarity with my slow tempo tactics?

Edit: I just thought of something else. I also changed my assistant manager during the offseason.

My tactics are always on awkward after off-season, they get fluid during the pre-season friendlies.

How do I train my young promising GK? Since graduating the U-19, I put him in the B team and they made him as first choice GK. But after a year, he doesn't improve at all. Not a single of his attributes increased. My B team has excellent training facilities but only "good" coaches. I can't promote him to my senior team since he won't receive any playing time. I don't want him to go on loan because I don't think he would receive playing time there or will train on excellent facilities. I only have 2 GK's in the seniors but the sub one rarely plays already, averaging 5-10 games a season, mostly in later league games when I already secured the title or in local Cup matches. I want him to develop because he's 13 years younger than my first team GK and 14 years than my sub keeper, and my coaches and assistant has a very high opinion of him.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

How would you approach a game against Barcelona, Im Madrid and played them twice and have been beaten 2-1 both times.
The second time I used mind games in the build up but it blew up in my face because we were 2-0 down after 20 mins, a firey team talk made my team produce better second half but we still lost. Any help?

I haven't played Barca because I'm playing Barca ever since. But base on recent Supercopa, these are my theories: play physical; take the ball away from their midfield as much as possible; attack through the flanks to maximize the potential of your wingers especially Ronaldo; take real advantage over set pieces especially corners; play with a high defensive line; take more risks from long range but not so much;

Hey guys, i am currently playing with stoke and in the second season .( 1 season won EPL , FA Cup and carling cup)
This is my team currently:
GK: Begovic and Areola
DEF: Huth , Shawcross , Phil Jones (loan) , jagielka
DR: Coleman , Srna
DL: Jose Enrique , paolo de ceglie
DMC: Diame , Sandro
MC: Gago and Poli (Both immense in my first season)
Amc : Ganso , willan , van der vaart
Wingers: Douglas Costa , Eden Hazard , Pennat
Strikers : Benitez , Sanogo , Lukaku , Walters

I am using an update from this forum (forgot the name) and for all the doubters i sold all the other key players like Jones(striker) , Etherington to raise money and bought players on PAY IN 48 Months .

My QUESTION IS what tactics should i use to gain full use of the creative depth in my squad so i can at least reach the knockouts in the champions league

Hey guys, i am currently playing with stoke and in the second season .( 1 season won EPL , FA Cup and carling cup)
This is my team currently:
GK: Begovic and Areola
DEF: Huth , Shawcross , Phil Jones (loan) , jagielka
DR: Coleman , Srna
DL: Jose Enrique , paolo de ceglie
DMC: Diame , Sandro
MC: Gago and Poli (Both immense in my first season)
Amc : Ganso , willan , van der vaart
Wingers: Douglas Costa , Eden Hazard , Pennat
Strikers : Benitez , Sanogo , Lukaku , Walters

I am using an update from this forum (forgot the name) and for all the doubters i sold all the other key players like Jones(striker) , Etherington to raise money and bought players on PAY IN 48 Months .

My QUESTION IS what tactics should i use to gain full use of the creative depth in my squad so i can at least reach the knockouts in the champions league

I think you might get better answesr in the subforum. Also, are you looking for some hints on what kind of approach to use or what uploaded tactic to use. Anyway, why not use the one that made you win last year :D I mean, that tactic made you win without any of those superstar so it should see you perform this season to and especially in the CL hwre you will be considered an major underdog. I f you used a tactic of your won last season, I wouold uploqd it as its probably one of the best ever made for an underdog like stoke

Last edited:
i used GoalsGalore2011v5 from this forum itself :). Its good but i only score 2 goals at most and i do not get the best out of my creative players .

i used GoalsGalore2011v5 from this forum itself :). Its good but i only score 2 goals at most and i do not get the best out of my creative players .

Firtsly, you would have to chose what players NOT to play, i.w hat formation to use. If you still want to use POli and gago, then there will be no room for 2 of Ganso, VDV, Hazard and Costa

But you had a **** team first seaosn and did not have many creatove players: I would strongly recommend using the same tactic again. It won you everything first seaons with a poor team and now you have one of the best in the world

But you had a **** team first seaosn and did not have many creatove players: I would strongly recommend using the same tactic again. It won you everything first seaons with a poor team and now you have one of the best in the world
i want to score a lot of goals :)

i would like to play VDV , Ganso , Costa , Hazard all together and one striker , I would like to get the point of views about how i should play

i want to score a lot of goals :)

i would like to play VDV , Ganso , Costa , Hazard all together and one striker , I would like to get the point of views about how i should play

Perhaps this one
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot.../78604-4-1-2-2-1-complete-madness-11-3-a.html

Also, ave a look atthe MCs ppms and defensive skills. Then , its just common sense. I would never use really attacking MCs away against Barca but home against CLUj in the CL group stage, its fine

I have a massive headache. I play a 4-5-1. For defending corners, I let my 2 wingers stay forward. But they always end up on the opposite side. The left winger ends up on the right flank, tries to cut in and dribble on his stronger foot, loses the ball, and a counter attack starts. I am unable to position him on the left flank. I have tried to physically place him on the left flank in the set piece creator, but the game wont let me... I am ******... Please help...