The Anfield Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 79K
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is powerful stuff...And im with joel that Broughton and Purslow cant be hyped up at the minute...I guess were going to have to keep a close eye on The official website to see whats happening. And im very suprised that they managed to post that statement as im sure Hicks and Gillet wont be too happy with it.

So many rumours going around at the minute,hope this is the beginning of the end for Hicks and Gillet. Im very wary of another American owner but if the rest of the board approved the bid it surely cant be that bad???

What I thought, pretty shocked they released that.

Just heard another sneaky one for you,

Apparently, Christian Purslow and Martin Brougham, didn't find these 2 bidders, they came to liverpool and bidded for us.

And, Ive also heared not to believe Purslow and Brougham as they are being made out as super heros.

We will see what tomorrow brings, If i see any more ill update, But i doubt more will come out till tomorrow, rest is just roumers, But one roumer to look into is.

The owner of the American Baseball firm wanting to take over, Is apparently Friends with Mr Hicks. - bad move.

i'd believe you so so much more if you knew the name of probably the most important man at Liverpool Football Club atm, it's Broughton mate :)

This is powerful stuff...And im with joel that Broughton and Purslow cant be hyped up at the minute...I guess were going to have to keep a close eye on The official website to see whats happening. And im very suprised that they managed to post that statement as im sure Hicks and Gillet wont be too happy with it.

So many rumours going around at the minute,hope this is the beginning of the end for Hicks and Gillet. Im very wary of another American owner but if the rest of the board approved the bid it surely cant be that bad???

I think before we sell the club, We need to look into the background of any possible owner. I think its important they have never had any link with Hicks or Gillete, As the whole protest was to get them out, and thats the message we intend to keep.

Purslow banner at the protests the other day, ( if you never seen it, it was a *** and said Purslow on it.) Possibly scared him.... :\

The clubs offical site - Yep its really stange the way they have put it on the offical site.. Unless Hicks and Gillete have seen it on sky sports news/ heard about it. And decided to release a statement? Its a possibility but to me, It looks like Purslow has turned his back on the owners and told the sites editors the full story? Maybe Maybe..

We will see what tomorrow brings, Lets hope its a sucessfull bid to take over liverpool fc.

Goodnight all, Hoped i helped with my information tonight ;)

I think before we sell the club, We need to look into the background of any possible owner. I think its important they have never had any link with Hicks or Gillete, As the whole protest was to get them out, and thats the message we intend to keep.

Purslow banner at the protests the other day, ( if you never seen it, it was a *** and said Purslow on it.) Possibly scared him.... :\

The clubs offical site - Yep its really stange the way they have put it on the offical site.. Unless Hicks and Gillete have seen it on sky sports news/ heard about it. And decided to release a statement? Its a possibility but to me, It looks like Purslow has turned his back on the owners and told the sites editors the full story? Maybe Maybe..

We will see what tomorrow brings, Lets hope its a sucessfull bid to take over liverpool fc.

Goodnight all, Hoped i helped with my information tonight ;)
whatever reason he chose it was credible enough for the bbc to run with it, and we will see what turns up in the more credible papers tomorrow

right, the way i see it is if there's ever an American linked to buying the club, theres gunna be rumours of them knowing Hicks, and tbh, i'd be suprised if the two didn't know each other, after all, they're (successfull) businessmen...

i'd believe you so so much more if you knew the name of probably the most important man at Liverpool Football Club atm, it's Broughton mate :)

Yepp :), Its late, And most of its getting copied and pasted, Looking back its been spelt about 10 different ways

right, the way i see it is if there's ever an American linked to buying the club, theres gunna be rumours of them knowing Hicks, and tbh, i'd be suprised if the two didn't know each other, after all, they're (successfull) businessmen...

Not all American businessmen know each-other.

Haha, Hicks once was a success. Look whats hes done in 3 years, What a man!

Well all in all i believe once we become debt free and theres no more unrest off the field i dont care if the new owners are american or anything. Once the Debt is sorted out and theres no more arguing the club should be able to turn itself around. Thats what i hope anyway. Lets see what happens in the coming days and just pray that something positive comes out of this.... :)

Boston Red Sox owner makes late offer to buy Liverpool

• John W Henry behind one of two outline offers made to club
• Chinese group also interested but owners reject both

* David Conn
* guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 5 October 2010 22.30 BST
* Article history

John W Henry The Boston Red Sox owner John W Henry has the means to fund a takeover bid for Liverpool.
Photograph: Stan Grossfeld/Landov/Press Association Images

The owner of the Boston Red Sox Major League Baseball team, John W Henry, has posted an outline offer to buy Liverpool Football Club, according to sources close to the discussions. Liverpool's chairman, Martin Broughton, presented Henry's bid, along with one from Asian business interests, understood to be Chinese, at a board meeting today.

It also emerged that the club's owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, had tried to make wholesale changes in the boardroom. "[The owners] sought to remove managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre from the board, seeking to replace them with Mack Hicks and Lori Kay McCutcheon," read a statement on the club website. "This matter is now subject to legal review and a further announcement will be made in due course. Meanwhile Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre continue to explore every possible route to achieving a sale of the Club at the earliest opportunity."

Both the US and Asian bids were described as "credible" by reliable sources today and Broughton, Liverpool's managing director, Christian Purslow, and Ian Ayre, the club's commercial director, were understood to favour entering serious discussions. However, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, the American owners of Liverpool, which owes £237m to Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia, were said to have rejected the offers in principle because they do not provide enough money for their shares.

One informed source described Henry as "extremely interested" in buying Liverpool, saying he has the means and expertise required, as evidenced by the Red Sox's iconic stadium, Fenway Park. Liverpool supporters will be naturally suspicious of any bid coming from the US after the bitter experience with Hicks and Gillett and will want assurances that the finance is real, not borrowed. Hicks and Gillett engineered a "leveraged buy-out" of Liverpool in February 2007, with £185m entirely borrowed from RBS, then made the capital and interest the club's responsibility to repay.

The outlines of the bids are understood to be broadly the ones which have been considered as the only credible solution for the club – repaying the banks but giving little profit to Hicks and Gillett. The banks, both of which collapsed in the economic crisis, – RBS is now 84% owned by the British taxpayer – want their loans back on 15 October but there is no apparent prospect of either of the owners being able to repay them. Despite that, Hicks and Gillett are known to have held out for a handsome profit on their shares. Neither could be reached for comment tonight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/05/boston-red-sox-owner-offer-liverpool

Update
Liverpool has been sold.
The bid for the club was to pay off the debt, (around 270million) So that means Hicks And Gillett gets nothing at all! ******* goodie :D

The club have put out the following statement, DONT GET TOO EXCITED YET,

Liverpool Football Club today announces that the Board has agreed the sale of the Club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV).

New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Rousch Fenway Racing.

Martin Broughton, Liverpool FC Chairman, said:

"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive. The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner. NESV's philosophy is all about winning and they have fully demonstrated that at Red Sox.

"We've met them in Boston, London and Liverpool over several weeks and I am immensely impressed with what they have achieved and with their vision for Liverpool Football Club.

"By removing the burden of acquisition debt, this offer allows us to focus on investment in the team. I am only disappointed that the owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening and that we need to go through legal proceedings in order to complete the sale."

Note to editors:

The sale is conditional on Premier League approval, resolution of the dispute concerning Board membership and other matters.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/board-agree-proposed-sale

Its going to be an interesting day in liverpool football clubs history.

Last edited:
Well, well, well! Let's just hope that the thing goes through the legal and procedural hurdles!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9064599.stm

Liverpool to be bought by Boston Red Sox owners

Crisis-hit Liverpool are to be sold to the owners of the Boston Red Sox baseball team.
But the takeover by the New England Sports Ventures is subject to the resolution of a legal dispute with US owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.
The Premier League will also have to approve the latest American buyout.
Earlier Hicks and Gillett tried to sack managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre in a last-ditch bid to keep control of the club.
Liverpool revealed on Tuesday that they had received two new bids to buy the debt-ridden club with those approaches later described as "excellent financial offers".
One bid was from Asia with the other coming from US sports group New England Sports Ventures.
However, in an attempt to block any sale and regain control of the club, Hicks and Gillett tried to sack Purslow and Ayre and replace them with Hicks's son, Mack Hicks, and Lori Kay McCutcheon, a vice president at Hicks Holdings.
The US pair later released a statement saying the bids "dramatically undervalue the club" and are understood to have argued that the directors were not acting in the best interests of Liverpool FC.
But the three English members of Liverpool's board have agreed to sell to New England Sports Ventures and are now consulting lawyers over whether they can resist the owners' attempts to replace them and force through a sale.
"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive," said Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton.
"The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner. NESV's philosophy is all about winning and they have fully demonstrated that at Red Sox.
"We've met them in Boston, London and Liverpool over several weeks and I am immensely impressed with what they have achieved and with their vision for Liverpool Football Club.
"By removing the burden of acquisition debt, this offer allows us to focus on investment in the team. I am only disappointed that the owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening and that we need to go through legal proceedings in order to complete the sale."
New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Rousch Fenway Racing.
They are thought to be offering about £300m for the club, enough to pay back the £240m of loans and £40m of fees owed to Royal Bank of Scotland, which must be settled at the end of next week.
However, this valuation falls well short of the £600m that Hicks and Gillett are thought to want for the club, hence their opposition.
Liverpool were put up for sale by Hicks and Gillett in April with debts of £351.4m.
They initially sought an asking price of about £800m, a figure they subsequently dropped to £600m.
In August, there were abortive bids from Hong Kong businessman Kenny Huang while a consortium fronted by Syrian businessman Yahya Kirdi also expressed an interest.
The owners paid £174.1m to buy the club in 2007, while also agreeing to take on the club's debt of £44.8m.
Many fans have become increasingly outraged at the pair's ownership of the club, which is said to be currently £237.4m in debt, and their failure to carry through promises to build a new stadium.
The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) has set a deadline of 15 October for that debt to be repaid or a penalty fee of £60m will be due.
The bank has the option of extending the deadline once again, or calling it in, taking control and then selling the club to the highest bidder.
More to follow.

Last edited:
Everyone posting the same story, lol. C'mon legal procedures. Not sure if he has the funds really, but if it's some sort of consortium backing him, all is good.

Everyone posting the same story, lol. C'mon legal procedures. Not sure if he has the funds really, but if it's some sort of consortium backing him, all is good.

Thats not what we want, We need someone to come in and invest over a billion into the club

Starters - about 300million debt and Paying off Broughman, Purslow, Irine, And paying legal fees. 400million stadium. About 100million in transfers, And a **** lot more. They might also have to pay hicks and gilette off, But at the moment they arnt getting a penny

Thats not what we want, We need someone to come in and invest over a billion into the club

Starters - about 300million debt and Paying off Broughman, Purslow, Irine, And paying legal fees. 400million stadium. About 100million in transfers, And a **** lot more. They might also have to pay hicks and gilette off, But at the moment they arnt getting a penny

But he dosen't have that much money to do so.

But he dosen't have that much money to do so.

it's not him that is buying us solely, it's the group but yes, i don't think they have the money we'd have all liked, (ie. a sheikh) but who knows? if they clear the debt and provide a decent transfer budget each season then it'll be better... after all, we're making profits and we're actually making more money than we were before...

anyway, nothings gone through yet...

MLB doesn't have a salary cap so deep pockets is neccessary. You can't be consistently succesful in that league without the $$$. At least these guys will probably understand the cost of success and what the cost of owning a storied franchise is about-there's certain "intangibles" that you need to deal and you can't treat it like a business operation solely.

what happend to the asian bid

i hope the three board members have gone in to the back ground or we could see hick&gillett all over again, am not happy we are selling to more amercians

what happend to the asian bid

i hope the three board members have gone in to the back ground or we could see hick&gillett all over again, am not happy we are selling to more amercians
nationality is irrelevant, its whether they have your interests at heart that matters

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=830332&sec=england&cc=5739

Hodgson to stay in charge and will be given money to spend.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Half a billion for starters, 300M for paying of the debt, up to a 100M for transfers, although I don't think they'll spend that much in January, and a 100M for the rest - stadium planning and smaller outgoings. When they buy the club and get rid of the debt then Liverpool will be making an extra 40M every year. Half of that should go into the transfer budget and the other half kept in the bank for the stadium. The building of the new stadium won't begin immediately, but when it starts then there will be about 50M spent on planning and prep work, another 50M in the bank and a further investment of 200-250m should be required to complete the stadium. Possible incomes for that 200M: investment from the owners, selling/redeveloping Anfield???, and even a reasonable loan could be considered although a lot of the supporters will be against it and a stadium sponsorship deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back