The Anfield Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 79K
Status
Not open for further replies.
New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Rousch Fenway Racing.

This is good. The Red Sox are perrenial title challengers, except for that one time.
Any kind of sports network is gonna bring in loads of cash and Rousch is one of the most storied and historically great racing teams in NASCAR. Not to mention, owning Fenway Park when compared with the rest of Major League Baseball is the most expensive park in terms of tickets, concessions, and parking. And still they sell out almost every game.

Sitting on this side of everything I say we're far better off being sold to them than to any other realistic buyer. These guys know how to run sports teams successfully and the most important thing, it puts us out of debt.

For some reason, I remain undecided on whether or not I think things will be differant for Liverpool. Just a niggly feeling.

My first reaction:

Oh God, no ! More Yanks - the only american I would want to own LFC is Bill Gates with his billions of moolah to provide some competion in the transfer market with a certain arab-run club. These guys almost certainly are also ignorant of the sport of proper football.

My second reaction:

Thank God; take that, Hicks & Gillett, now **** off ! At least we avoid the shame of administration.

I believe there ARE some reponsible american investors out there - we just happened to get the worst possible ones. We live in hope......

PS: Isn't it time this thread was closed & a new one opened with more relevance to the present situation ?

Last edited:
My first reaction:

Oh God, no ! More Yanks - the only american I would want to own LFC is Bill Gates with his billionsof moolah to provide sme competion in the transfer market with a certain arab-run club. These guys almost certainly are also ignorant of the sport of proper football.

My second reaction:

Thank God; take that, Hicks & Gillett, now **** off ! At least we avoid the shame of administration.

I believe there ARE some reponsible american investors out there - we just happened to get the worst possible ones. We live in hope......

PS: Isn't it time this thread was closed & a new one opened with more relevance to the present situation ?
its still a takeover, the general theme of the thread has been about the state of liverpool, and not just in terms of the chinese takeover. But it should be re named.

The problem with H+G is now that we are tarnishing all Americans with same brush, there is every chance they will be fantastic owners.

What Does anyone know about this Fella? How does he run his Baseball side? Does he actually have an interest in football? Is he a friend of Hicks or Gillet? Until these Questions are answered no-one can comment either way.

In my opinion, this is great news for Liverpool. It would have been terrible for one of the greatest clubs in the English Premier League to go into Administration.

As KidBlink56 said. They know how to run a Sports team successfully.

What Does anyone know about this Fella? How does he run his Baseball side? Does he actually have an interest in football? Is he a friend of Hicks or Gillet? Until these Questions are answered no-one can comment either way.
read kidblinks answer, gives you a better idea on him

Lawyers believe that legal arguments between Liverpool Football Club's owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, and the three directors seeking to sell the club on behalf of RBS could take weeks to resolve.

"The usual maxim in selling anything is that it would be the owners of an asset that would need to approve the sale of it. However, the waters become muddied when other stakeholders are involved, like the debt providers in the LFC situation," said Daniel Liptrott, partner at Eversheds.

"At the very core of this dispute each director, three of which are not owners and two of which are shareholders, has to consider their duties as a director and whether they are being properly discharged. Another consideration will be the rights that have been given to the lenders over a number of re-financings, as well as how the LFC group of companies is structured, and as a result what rights have been given up by the owners."

When the chairman, Martin Broughton, was brought in at the behest of RBS in April, the bank – owed £237m – ensured that the balance of power on the board resided with Broughton, the managing director, Christian Purslow, and the commercial director, Ian Ayre.

They have argued that they have a duty to act in the best interests of the company and the principal lenders, while Gillett and Hicks have so far blocked any sale that does not return a substantial profit on their original investment.

Liptrott added: "As always, the devil is in the detail, and the banking documents will be scrutinised to see if there is any opportunity to mount a sustainable legal challenge, as well as different interpretations as to directors' duties. The only thing certain as a result of this latest development is that this will not be resolved overnight but will continue to be argued between legal advisers for some time to come."

Taken from the Guardian website a few minutes ago, looks like this is going to take a while.

Heres fingers crossed that it does happen

Can I ask a question to the Liverpool fans? How did these two Owners ruin the club finances. And why did one of them want to be the only owner, if he knew the club would still go downhill?

Can I ask a question to the Liverpool fans? How did these two Owners ruin the club finances. And why did one of them want to be the only owner, if he knew the club would still go downhill?

They're businessmen, operating with the club in order to make a profit. They have piled over £350 Million worth of debt on the club. Not quite sure why Hicks wanted to refinance actually, someone else will know.

Well the idea is that they bought the club without buying the club with their own money. Instead they took out loans to pay for the takeover. The clubs income was being used to pay for the loans so really the club has had no money for transfers or a new stadium. Now the club has to be sold as RBS( Royal Bank of Scotland) are recalling a loan of around 237 million and are unwilling to renew a loan.

Tom Hicks offered to buy out the other owner to gain full control basicly to try flog the club in a few months by himself for a price he agrees alone. This would give him more of a chance to make a profit on selling the club. So the motive behind this is simply greed.
Hope this helps

Theres no real inside info,if you look at the clubs website youll find out any real news thats true right now.
Check out Broughtons interview on lfcTV earlier today. Hes confident that the case will be thrown out of court and the sale will go through.

Anybody else got any solid news?

Heres Broughtons interview

Martin, it's been quite a dramatic 24 hours in terms of the sales process. Can you explain exactly what the situation is right now?

It certainly has been dramatic. The latest position is that we have a sale agreement in place, we've agreed the sale to New England Sports Ventures, that sale is subject to a number of conditions like Premier League approval and other normal conditions. The specific additional condition is that it's subject to confirmation that the Board acted validly in drawing up the sale documents.

Last night fans read a statement on the official website claiming that the owners had sought to remove Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre from the Board. What was the reasoning behind this and were the owners successful?

The court will ultimately decide whether the owners were successful. The reasoning behind it was that the owners felt we were reviewing two bids which they considered undervalued the club and therefore they wished to remove Christian and Ian and replace them with Mack Hicks, who is Tom's son, and Lori McCutcheon, who also works with him.

We don't think it was valid to do it. Essentially when I took the role they gave a couple of written undertakings to Royal Bank of Scotland. Those written undertakings included that I was the only person entitled to change the board and that was written into the articles of the covenants, and also that they would take no action to frustrate any reasonable sale. And I think they flagrantly abused both of those written undertakings.

You announced on Tuesday night that the club received two excellent offers. Why, in your opinion, is New England Sports Ventures the right new owner for Liverpool Football Club?

I think both of them would have been excellent new owners. New England have a lot of experience in developing, investing in and taking Boston Red Sox - as the closest parallel - from being a club with a wonderful history, a wonderful tradition that had lost the winning way, and bringing it back to being a winner. Their commitment to winning is what it's all about there and they've extended it from Boston Red Sox to Nascar and other things, but Red Sox is the main one.

I have been meeting them now for several weeks in Boston, in Liverpool, in London, and I feel they are totally committed to supporting and getting the winning mentality back into the team.

Is their winning mentality the thing which has impressed you most about them during this period?

Yes. Their commitment is to winning on the pitch and that helps you win off the pitch too. The two are mutually reinforcing.

Fans have already got lots of questions, with three of the main ones being:

a) Will the debt burden be removed completely?

To all intents and purposes, yes. All of the acquisition debt that was involved in the current owners acquisition will be removed completely. We'll still have what we call normal working capital debt and there's a facility there for the new stadium which will remain in place, but to all intents and purposes all the major debt that has been causing our problem has been paid off.

b) Have the proposed new owners committed to investing in the playing squad?

Yes. They don't want any hostages to fortune, very sensibly, so they're not going to make any comments about how much or anything like that. But this goes back to the winning mentality. I think the demonstration is: let's look at what they have done at Boston, what they said in Boston, what they have done in terms of investing in players - and I think you get a high degree of confidence of their willingness to do that.

c) Is there a commitment from them to progress the new stadium project?

Yes, there's definitely a commitment to invest in a stadium and we will finish up with a 60,000+ seater stadium. Where they haven't finalised their view is whether that should be the new stadium or whether there are still opportunities to build at Anfield itself. They have done both. The people involved have built the new stadium at Baltimore Orioles, for example, and at Fenway Park they looked at the two options and decided that actually redevelopment with all of the tradition was better than a new stadium. So they have done both, they are committed to looking at both very professionally and seeing which is the best option, but there will be stadium development.

Just to clarify, what needs to happen now for the sale to be finalised?

The key thing is the court case. We need to go to the court to get a declaratory judgement, which is for the court to declare that we did act validly in completing the sale agreement, and then the buyers can complete the sale. We have to get Premier League approval and I'm certain that's not going to be an issue. There are one or two minor things like that but the key issue is the court, which should meet I would think next week sometime. That is the most likely time, in short order.

Can the owners block the sale of LFC to New England Sports Ventures?

Well, we have to win the court case. So effectively yes, if they win the court case they can block the sale. But then we may have one or two other thoughts in mind as well.

Could the sale process be dragged through the courts for months before a resolution is reached?

No, I don't think so. We should get a declaratory judgement I would have thought probably by the end of next week, in short order. There is an appeal process but that is also very fast.

How confident are you that Liverpool Football Club will soon be officially under new ownership?

I am confident. I wouldn't have taken the Board through that process yesterday if I hadn't been confident. I wouldn't have exposed everybody to that risk if I hadn't been confident, but you can never be certain. These things are legal judgements. We have been properly advised and I am confident.

Looking back, how thorough has the process been to identify the best new owners for the Club and how pleased are you with the final outcome?

Ideally one would have had buyers who were not only the best buyers but also satisfied the owners. That's what we were looking for and we haven't managed to do that second piece of it. Has it been exhaustive? Absolutely. We have, first of all through BarCap, contacted every plausible buyer. The media coverage has meant that you would have to be living on Planet Zog not to know that Liverpool was for sale and so if you had any interest in it you had the opportunity. We've talked to lots of potential people. At the end of the day, with the deadline for debt repayment looming we had two bidders, both very viable bidders. I think they were competing, there was competitive tension there and I think that demonstrates that we have the market price.

Finally Martin, what is your message to the Liverpool fans?

Keep the faith. We said we would deliver the best buyers for the club and I think we have delivered exactly that. I know they've been frustrated by not getting a running commentary and I know a fan wants to know what's going on. I thank them for their patience because I do believe the only way you really get these things done is out of the media glare and it's difficult to do it out of the media glare, but we've found the right owners. I thank them for their patience, their support, keep the faith, this is going to work. They're with us.

So, its more than one person? It's a group?

New England Sports Ventures (NESV) info

Ok this thread is seperate from the anfield saga as its just for anybody who wants to know about the proposed new owners of the club. And for anybody who knows of anything about them please post some info?

If any mods see this please dont close it as it will save the same question being asked 100 times and clog up the old thread.

New England Sports Ventures LLC is the parent company of the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball. The Boston-based limited liability company also owns Fenway Park and the Fenway Sports Group (which in turn owns the Salem Red Sox of the Class A Carolina League, a minor league baseball franchise), plus 80 percent of the New England Sports Network and 50 percent of Roush Fenway Racing, a NASCAR team. On the 6th October 2010 Liverpool FC accepted a bid to take control of the club subject to a legal dispute. NESV was founded in 2001 when John W. Henry joined forces with Tom Werner, Les Otten, The New York Times Company (which owns 16.58 percent[1]) and other investors to successfully bid for the Red Sox.
On 6th October 2010 NESV agreed to purchase the English Premier League club - Liverpool Football Club from owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks after the board voted 3-2 to oust them from the club.[2]
Taken from Wikipedia

So even though John W. Henry is worth around £800 million,hes not the only person involved.
Also Tom Werner has business links to Bill Clinton and Oprah Winfrey aswell so clearly not short of a few bob himself. Cant find anymore inforight now as im working but ill have a look later and update in here

Last edited:
even though liverpool are rivals, i still pity them, they had a great season 2 years ago, but it all went downhill from there. they're a good english team indeed. hopefully owners giving clubs bullshit like this will be changed through a FA/FIFA amendment.

They ruined the clubs finances due to deceit ( they piled on the debt from the loans they took out to originaly purchase the club ONTO the club when they clearly stated they wouldn't ),
& financial incompetence ( they did not have the cash assets to sustain the club's day to day upkeep, nevermind progress ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back