The Aston Villa Thread

I'd probably say that it's unlikely but yeah, it is possible and I fear that it will only produce more negativity from McLeish.

was listening to some pundit on the radio bleating on about how mcleish gets unfair abuse just because he was brum manager and he's had no money to spend. HELLO, he gets fair abuse because he relegated Birmingham twice and plays negative football!!!

amazes me that pundits don't get it.

[h=1]Aston Villa announce £53.9m loss for 2010-11 financial year[/h]
Aston Villa bosses insist they are satisfied with the club's financial position despite announcing annual losses of almost £54m.
It does not include money raised from the sales of England wingers Ashley Young and Stewart Downing last June.
Continue reading the main story
“We are confident the actions taken since the end of the 2010-11 financial year have galvanised the long-term sustainability of the club”
Robin RussellAston Villa chief financial officer
Villa revealed total income had increased by 1.3% to a record £92m.
Chief financial officer Robin Russell said: "Given the challenging economic environment we're pleased with positive trends in our financial performance."
Villa confirmed the overall loss for the year up to 31 May 2011 represents an increase from £37.6m.
The figure includes the record £24m transfer fee spent to bring England striker Darren Bent to Villa Park in January last year.
The financial statement also showed Villa's commercial income had increased by 15.9% year on year.
The Birmingham club spent £12m on changes in the football management staff, while American owner Randy Lerner invested £25m. There was an £8.3m reduction in bank borrowings.
Russell added: "The board of Aston Villa are confident that the actions taken since the end of the 2010-11 financial year have galvanised the long-term sustainability of the club and have also given us a better financial platform on which to build for future success.
"Our objectives are to compete strongly on the pitch and to achieve sustainability as well as compliance with Uefa's Financial Fair Play requirements."
Meanwhile, former Villa loanee Robbie Keane has said the club's players are firmly behind manager Alex McLeish.
[h=2]VILLA'S 2010-11 FINANCES[/h]
  • Total losses: £53.9m
  • Income: £92m
  • Revenue growth: +1.3%
  • Commercial income: +15.9%
  • Bank borrowings: -8.3%
  • Randy Lerner investment: £25m
LA Galaxy striker Keane has returned to the United States after his seven-match spell ended with Saturday's 0-0 Premier League draw at Wigan.
The 31-year-old said he enjoyed working with the Scot, who has received a frosty reception from Villa fans since his summer switch from rivals Birmingham City.
"I know at the moment it's not going as well as probably he [McLeish] would like, and the club certainly," added Keane.
"But all you want in a manager when you work with someone is someone who is honest with you, and they don't come any more honest than him.
"He is desperate for the team to do well. At this time he has been getting a little bit of flack from the fans, but that doesn't reflect on how good a manager is.
"The only thing I could say is the players are 100% behind him. They really enjoy working with him.
"It's a transition period for Aston Villa and I am sure next season it will be completely different."

Funnily enough, when you look into it those figures could be a lot worse. They take into account the one-off buy of Bent, managerial changes that past McLeish we hope to cut down on, and doesn't include the Young and Downing sales. Our total income has increased. We're looking to sort ourselves back out so we can compete properly when financial fair play rolls around. We've got the fanbase for it - historically, we're probably one of the five biggest teams in the country, along with the likes of United, Liverpool, Arsenal and perhaps Everton - we just need to cut down on all the extravagant spending of the Lerner/O'Neill years.

Stiliyan Petrov diagnosed with accute leukemia. Horrible horrible news. Pray to god he gets through it

Whats going on in this world. I cant believe this.

Get well soon.

Hope Stan pulls through this one. Brilliant player.

Get well soon Stiliyan.

Genuinely one of my favourite players.

Horrible news about Petrov. Here's to him making a full recovery.

^ Ditto. He's a good footballer, but far more important a brilliant man by all accounts, so here's hoping.

Arguably the worst appointment for this season, he is so negative and you wonder how they will pick up points as they set up so defensive against every team. I would sack McLeish now to be honest before you get really caught up in the relegation battle, no way you should be down there either considering the squad is pretty decent.

Arguably the worst appointment for this season, he is so negative and you wonder how they will pick up points as they set up so defensive against every team. I would sack McLeish now to be honest before you get really caught up in the relegation battle, no way you should be down there either considering the squad is pretty decent.

Well, quite. I wouldn't sack him now, though, I'd wait until we were safe. Sacking a manager at this time can turn a bad season into a disastrous one: look at Wolves.

I gave him time, even when others wouldn't, and I considered the positives as well as the negatives. He still comes out as being a terrible signing. I said a while ago that this managerial appointment would be pivotal to how Villa perform for the next few years, and it seems Randy has ****** it up. Never mind.

I wish Petrov has a quick recovery and hopefully we'll see him on the pitch again.

diq.jpg

Shame you cant get Relegated ( Bar a 20 goal swing ), woulda loved Bent on the cheap! ;)

McLeish should be out at the end of the season. Moyes in.

McLeish should be out at the end of the season. Moyes in.

Not happening. Why would Moyes move to Villa? Even with our extra funds compared to Everton, they still have a massive advantage in squad quality.