View attachment 235876
THE AUSSIES STRIKE BACK!!!!!

The FM Base Ashes tradition of ridiculously close matches continued with the game between CraigWL and Yeti today.
View attachment 235868

The Convicts got off to an absolute flyer. From the kickoff the ball was moved around the defence and into the midfield before finding it's way to Leo Messi. He took a touch forward and chipped a pass through for the on rushing Neymar. His chested control took him inside Lahm and Kompany and he fired in a low shot that Courtois, depite getting a leg too, couldn't keep out. 1 nil to the good guys less than a minute in.

View attachment 235875

The rest of the first half was exceptionally even as each team took their turn attacking and defending, only some good goalkeeping from both Neuer and Courtois prevented the scoreboard attendants from being worked any further. The English though started the 2nd half on fire and their pressure told in the 63rd minute when Ronaldo made a probing run down the left, he whipped his cross into the no man's land that is the space in between the 'keeper and defence and Thiago Silva, under all sorts of pressure from Sergio Aguero, could only deflect the cross into his own goal past a despairing Neuer.
View attachment 235874
The Aussies though weren't behind for long. 3 minutes later a corner was played into Robben who evaded the attentions of his marker Kroos before firing in past Courtois.

View attachment 235872
In the end though all that goal did was provide the catalyst for England to attack with renewed vigor. Around 10 minutes passed before England were level for a 2nd time. Kroos found Jordi Alba on the edge of the Aussie area. He skipped past an Azpilicueta challenge before playing a deep cross to Muller at the back post who beat Neuer with a bullet header from an impossible angle. Wonder goal and game on.
View attachment 235871
The game then came down to 2 moments. The first came in the 80th minute. Thomas Muller, who was a thorn in the Australian's side from the moment he was introduced, produced a slide rule pass to carve open the Australian defence and play Aguero in. With the Argentinian one on one with Manual Neuer though he fired narrowly over allowing the Aussie sphincters to relax again.
View attachment 235870

The second moment came in the 84th minute. Toni Kroos was dispossessed by Cesc Fabregas on the edge of the Aussie area. He initiated a counter attack by finding Messi who in turn played in Neymar. His through ball found the breaking David Silva, who had just come on as a substitute, who drew the defence and played through Robben. He took one touch inside Mascherano and fired a delightful curling shot into the far corner that gave the Aussies the match.
View attachment 235869

I'd like to thank Craig again for the match - it was played in great spirit and was very enjoyable. When I say it was crazy close I'm not kidding - here are the match stats.
View attachment 235865
Here's hoping the Aussie's can get a win in this test to level things up so that it all comes down to the 5th and final test!!

Well played Yeti :) I've had some luck in a couple of my games so far so i guess it's only right that it goes the other way for once haha. I believe in my England brethren to do the job though!

Nice work Yeti! 2 more wins & we square the series, c'mon Aussies!

Australia surge ahead in crucial Fourth Test

View attachment 235482

View attachment 235483

Godfish and myself both agree that this was one of the craziest games we have ever witnessed, and I have no doubt that the spectators would agree. What had been a game characterised by frustrating profligacy from both teams, exploded into life in the second half as the Australian onslaught was too much for the English defence, who had no clue what hit them.

The game started off poorly for Australia. Cristiano Ronaldo had plenty of space in the box in the 3rd minute, and rifled into the top corner, Manuel Neuer's hand unable to keep it out. That was as good as it got for the Portuguese though. A minute later, he had another golden chance to double the English advantage, but Neuer plucked it out of the air. A potentially telling moment.

The first half settled down, with England holding more possession, but Australia having more chances. Time and again Neymar and Arjen Robben were played in by lovely passes from Lionel Messi, but were ridiculously profligate in front of goal, firing left and right of the net on numerous occasions. Cristiano was doing his best impersonation up the other end too, firing tamely at Neuer from outside the area.

Jordi Alba picked up a knock at some point in the first half, but Robben was unable to take advantage of that.

A couple of minutes after the restart, both sides made changes. Marek Hamsik replaced Arturo Vidal for the Poms, and the Convicts brought David Silva on in place of Xabi Alonso, shifting formations in the process. Robert Lewandowski took the place of Sergio Aguero for England not long afterwards.

Neymar had continued to be wasteful, and Leighton Baines was ordinary at left back, so the pair were replaced on the left flank by Eden Hazard and David Alaba. The two substitutes would go on to play a key role in the remarkable revival.

It was the 61st minute when Australia finally broke their duck (yes, it's cricket). As I commented to Lippo255 at the time, it was long overdue. We led England by 4 Clear Cut Chances and 3 Half Chances, versus one of each for the Poms. He responded by saying "Hopefully the flood gates will open now." I'm telling you, the man is a prophet!

The goal itself was quite comical, and frustrating for both managers at different times. The Australian attack swarmed forwards, and Silva should have finished at the first time of asking, but his shot was blocked. Hazard struck the rebound across goal, but hit the inside of the post. My dismay was short-lived though, as the ball hit the back of the unfortunate De Gea, and trickled back across the line. Finally!

What followed from that point can only be described as farcical. The English defence collapsed like a house of cards in a hurricane. Two minutes after the first goal, Messi had a shot well saved by De Gea, and Robben finally got a shot on target, sliding home the rebound to put the Convicts in front. The sudden turnaround prompted England to bring on James Rodriguez in place of Luis Suarez - their final substitution. Little did they know it was the other end of the pitch that needed help.

A dangerous England attack was halted by Alaba dispossessing Lahm, and then strolling along the touchline to the other end of the field. Despite explicit instructions to the contrary, so I'm told, Lahm did nothing to close the Austrian/Australian down, and he was able to whip in a low cross, which Lionel Messi converted from a sharp angle to make it 3-1.

Not long afterwards, the Australians altered their tactics to shut up shop and close out the game, but you wouldn't have known it. Whilst Cristiano Ronaldo wasted chance after chance to put England back in the game, the Australian attack revelled in the space left by the English, who were forced to go for broke, and their counterattacks were lethal. Silva, Messi (again) and Hazard all got themselves on the scoresheet as both managers watched on in disbelief.

Whilst it's hard to argue against Australia being deserved victors of the match, as evidenced by the chance creation stats, there's no doubt that 6-1 was a very flattering scoreline. Had Ronaldo finished even one of his chances, particularly the 4th minute opportunity, life would have been very difficult for the Australians. Thanks to Godfish for the enjoyable chat during the match, and for being a good sport about it. I think we both know how ridiculous that was!

Australia Square Up Series!!

Capture_zpspz6bdmek.png

Ignore the double Australia :p

A thrilling 3-1 win for Australia has seen them guarantee a win in this Test, tying the series at 2-2. In a crucial encounter, England watched on his horror as they hit the woodwork 3 times over the course of the match, opening the door for a 3-1 win to the Aussies.

After a dull and possession-based start, a Chiellini interception sparked a quick counterattack for the Aussies. Eden Hazard used a quick burst of speed on the right flank, hitting it first time to Messi. Quick ball control and a pivot later, the Argentinian spotted Robben streaming into the box from the left, lifting the ball over the defence to the waiting Dutchman. A quick one-two with Neymar, surrounded by 5 defenders, was followed by a quick burst of speed from Robben, getting past Kompany and Lahm before delivering it into the path of Neymar, who had eluded his defenders and stood in front of an open goal. He did not disappoint.

They don't call him the world's best player for nothing, with Lionel Messi proving his class by doubling Australia's lead just 4 minutes after the first goal. Combining with Hazard on the right, Messi saw his teammate get dispossessed and stormed into the box to collect the waiting ball, rounding Kroos before assessing his options and shooting from 20 yards. De Gea could only watch helplessly as the ball rocketed into the net as England stared down a 2-0 deficit.

Just 3 minutes after that, in the 32nd, David De Gea scored an embarrassing own goal to make it 3-0 for the Aussies. Neymar sent in a long, hanging free kick from the right byline, looking for the head of Chiellini or Robben, but instead finding the outstretched fingertips of De Gea. Unfortunately for the young Spaniard, he wasn't quite high enough - and only succeeded in pushing the ball backwards and into his own net. It was a horror 7 minute spell for the English. 0-0 to 0-3 in no time flat.

The English almost got one back just before half time, after a great piece of attacking movement. Luis Suarez dribbled on his own just outside the box before passing it into Iniesta, who then laid it off to James Rodriguez. The Colombian midfielder darted inside his defender, moving into the box before running into trouble and backheeling to Iniesta. It proved to be a great decision as the Spaniard's long shot looked unchallenged. However, it managed to clip the post and come back into play, cleared to the touchline by Alaba.

In the 46th minute, on the brink of half time, England finally got a goal back after a horrid mistake from the usually brilliant Manuel Neuer. Toni Kroos spotted James streaming into the box and lifted a fantastic throughball into his path, which the Colombian struck first time, but straight at the keeper. He was let off for his finishing however as Neuer somehow let the ball go through his legs, watching red-faced as it slipped under and into the net.

England nearly got another just after half time through subbed on striker Sergio Aguero. The Argentinian collected the ball on the centre line, immediately using his acceleration to get past Toure before forcing Chiellini further and further back, eventually opening up enough of a gap as he entered the box to get a shot off. However, Neuer made up for his earlier blunder with a spectacular diving save, denying Aguero's top right corner effort.

Australia should have put the game to bed in the 53rd minute after Yaya Toure played a magnificent lob from defence to put Messi one on one with the keepr. The 60 yard pass was controlled by Messi first touch, from which he probably should have shot, but instead used a second touch which he then regretted as Sergio Ramos managed to get back and apply a great tackle.

Although the game looked dead, both teams had opportunities to score in the 85th and 86th minute, with Eden Hazard hitting the side netting following a great flowing move from an Australia who looked to have shut up shot.

There was also an instance of one of England's shot hitting both posts and rolling out, but I can't seem to find the highlight. It happened though, and was f**king scary.

However, when the final whistle blew, it was Australia who stood on top, defying England to win 3-1 and secure a win for the 4th Test. Now, it will come down to the final Test. A fitting end, I think, to an amazing series. Carn Aussie!

Hitting the post 3 times and De Gea punching the ball into his own net....not a good day for us! :/

*Note it was an entertaining game and Feliks definitely deserved the win, his team were prolific in front of goal whilst we were not!

Well done Feliks! Looks like its going down to the wire guys! :D

Well done Feliks, unlucky Lewie :(

Looks like we'll be having a thrilling final test!