The Ashes is about to kick off with the captains leading from the front. Will the Fish be victorious, or will Lippo take the spoils?

Aussies Start In Style

Australia have struck the first blow in the FM-Base Ashes series, in front of a bumper steam crowd of 2 :p, as Aussie Captain Lippo255 lead his side to an historic win.

View attachment 240370

It wasn't the best start for the Aussies as Playmaker, Lionel Messi, hobbled off early but replacement Gareth Bale proved to be the difference bagging a brace & leading the side to victory.

View attachment 240366

I wanted to be more boastful in this post but the truth of the matter was it was a tough match. Very nervy, very little chat.

Bale coming on for Messi was undoubtedly the difference. Both sides had chances, we took ours that's all. Respect to the Fish!

Me and Kaarto have agreed in principle to play tomorrow at 10PM AEST/ 1PM BST :)

Oh well, I guess we had to give you guys a head start..only fair!

I was feeling generous...

Seriously though, it was a close match. A good performance from Bale, and a shocker from Ramos decided it.

Just a friendly warning, i played Kaarto in 2 practice matches before i played the fish. He beat me 4-0 & 4-1. Good luck :p

Never before did i think i would use contain while playing FM...

Australia strengthens position in First Ashes Test

[N.B. Lewie's side was called Australia as well, for whatever reason, but the badge is English, as was the side]

View attachment 240272

Australia doubled it's lead in the first Ashes test, following Captain Lippo's hard-fought defeat of Captain Godfish with PatrickLFC's narrow 2-1 victory over lewie100. It was a close encounter, but in the end the result was probably fair, although no doubt both managers will feel that their side could have scored more goals.

Following a relatively uneventful first 40 minutes, with David De Gea's excellent save from a Messi effort and a Luis Suarez free kick kissing the bar on it's way into the crowd the only standout moments, the game burst into life with a flurry of goals just before half time.

In the 42nd minute, Yaya Toure and Arjen Robben combined down the right, with the latter putting in a cross for renowned target-man Lionel Messi to head home from close range.

Two minutes later Australia doubled their lead, with an unbelievable run from Robben slicing the English defence apart. He then squared unselfishly just outside the 6 yard box, leaving David Silva with a simple finish.

But England showed tremendous character to bounce back, and in stoppage time, a Suarez free kick was saved by a flying Manuel Neuer. James Rodriguez was the quickest to the rebound and drilled it home with mere seconds remaining in the half. The game was certainly not over.

Cristiano Ronaldo had had a quiet game, but he had a decent close range effort tipped wide by Neuer in the 49th minute.

From that point though, Australia took complete control for the next 15-20 minutes and were exceptionally unlucky - though they certainly weren't blameless - not to add to their slender lead.

Yaya Toure was hacked down in the area in the 57th minute, and a penalty was awarded. Messi stepped up and hit it straight at De Gea. It struck the keeper and went off at 90 degrees, hitting the inside of the post, before De Gea raced over to pick it up.

In the 64th minute Australia had another golden chance. Sublime short passing from Robben, Silva, Toure worked the ball into the area for Messi. He drew the defender and squared for Neymar, who had plenty of space and just De Gea in front of him. Credit to the keeper, it was an excellent save, but there's no excuse for not scoring from there.

Shortly afterwards, the Australia manager began to make defensive changes, and by the end of 90 minutes was playing strikerless in an effort to preserve the lead, ceding dominance somewhat to the English side, but it was not enough, and the Australian's held on for a vital victory. Arjen Robben was unquestionably the main difference between the sides today, as he tormented the English defence time and again with his skilful and incisive running, picking up a pair of assists for his efforts.

The stats demonstrate that Australia were probably the better side, though at one point they were even more in the favour of the Aussies, until they began to "park the bus" in an effort to hold the lead. 5 Clear Cut Chances versus 2 shows that perhaps they should have been more clinical in front of goal - De Gea did an excellent job in the English net.

It is often said that the second point of a tennis game is the most crucial. The winner of the first goes up by two if he wins it, and the loser of the first squares it all up again if he takes it. One point with the potential to change the complexion of the entire game. Much like a six-pointer in football leagues, this match certainly was crucial, and Australia will be delighted they have managed to put themselves two ahead in the First Test. A solitary victory from any one of Yeti01, CantGetEnoughOfJelavic or Kaarto7 will be enough for the Aussies to claim the First Test of the inaugural FM-Base Ashes.

Much like the original Ashes, everyone knows that the urn belongs in the Great Southern Land!

Remember 05? We lost the first test then too, and look what happened.