Unlucky bud hopefully its just a blip

Here's hoping Sam!

November 2023

Nov23-z.png

5th November 2023
MLS Eastern Conference - Semi Final - Leg 1

Nov23-a.png

Having smashed their way through the first round of the knockout stages, we are immediately put on the back foot by a determined Philly. Having both picked up victories over each other in the final two months of the season the boys can only hope they can repeat the feat in the next leg back at the Yankee Stadium with Enzo's late goal giving the club a slim hope of progressing into the Final.

November 2023

Nov23-z1.png

12th November 2023
MLS Eastern Conference - Semi Final - Leg 2

Nov23-b.png

And it's over. A toothless performance from the boys all but gifted Union with free-passage into the Final following their resounding victory back in Philadelphia, with some important aged legs and a handful of niggling injuries blighting the squad it seemed we were meerly happy just to reach the end of the season. A big missed opportunity.

A disappointing end to a strong season for City.

Despite the sour ending, it's non the less been a season of drastic improvements. With my contract up and my heart longing for a return to Europe, it remains to be seen if I will be back for one more shot at cracking it in America.

Tough luck bud, think its time to return to Europe?

Unlucky

Hi DJ,

Unlucky with your American dream. Looking forward to your return to Europe and to an easier to understand league and transfer system :p

Started one of these myself, currently struggling to keep Chelmsford in the VNS league at the moment. One can only dream of the "vast" riches that you are currently earning.

Nosibor

Jack QUIT lol only joking. Are you enjoying the game still or because ur in USA is it becoming a bit of a bore?

I sure hope so Sam, not feeling it in America!

I'm trying to chuck my name out there Neavie Pops!

Thanks Nosibor, I sure hope so! I'm guessing by now you have already over-taken me and are in charge of a Footballing heavyweight right?

Maybe your right Wanderer! It's not exactly entertaining to be honest, I miss normal football leagues!

With my time in America certainly dragging it's feet I cast my eyes wistfully across the pond as we take another look at the top earners back in fortress Europa.

1084516d1478303800-football-managing-mercenary-man17-1.png
Man17-4.png
Man13.png
Carlo AncelottiLuis EnriqueDiego Simeone
Manchester UnitedBarcelonaINTER
£150,000 per week£150,000 per week£105,000 per week

The top three earners remain steadily in their roles, hardly surprising given their new found bargain status, with England, Spain and Italy all represented in the top of the standings.

With the season just months in, Old Trafford boss, Carlo Ancelotti and King of the Catalans, Luis Enrique have both already set about reclaiming their new found League titles following a successful season at the helm of two of the worlds biggest clubs but it's a re-emerging Italian heavyweight that steals the spot-light.

Former Atletico Madrid manager, Diego Simeone has made an instant impact in Milan, leading Inter to not just the Serie A title but the TIM Cup, Supercoppa and a respectable runners-up spot in the Europa League.

Way to show me up Diego...

1084519d1478303826-football-managing-mercenary-man17-0.png
Derby Jack
New York City FC
£12,000 per week

Having managed to quickly flip New York Cities fortunes from bottom of the table scrappers, to MLS title contenders, my time in The States might have got off to a solid start but with my Contract up, the League setup confusing the **** out of me and the comforts of Europe calling me home, it's time to start my job search once more...

oo excited to see where you end up if you leave! Surely a good prem team will want you now!

Unlucky in the end in America, definitely turned the club around from where you landed. Hopefully big things in Europe await

YES good call mate! come on a decent champ/prem side... something you can build into a empire! is there any sleeping giants out there or anyone who has fallen from grace you can make great again

I don't think so Naterr. Apparently the jump from League One to the MLS wasn't as great as I thought...

Cheers Dan, fingers crossed as always!

Thanks Wilko, I just hope it comes soon!

It actually seems that the Managerial merry-go-round has started to ground to a halt Wanderer! I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for any options! Just anything!

NYCFC.png

...Well the Great Escape didn't exactly go well.

Despite having a whopping break before the start of the next season, I somehow managed to get myself overlooked for every job available, with even Championship clubs turning their nose up at an Englishman in New York.

...Guess I'll buckle down for the most confusing transfer window imaginable. Joy.

Tran23Waiver-OUT.png

The waiver draft comes around and once again it's a bit of a flash in the pan for City as we see just one solitary departure from the club as aging Spanish defender Sergio Postigo is sent packing from The Yankee Stadium.

With the Re-Entry draft drawing no-one of interest, it's straight into the gloriously over-hyped Super Draft!

Tran23Draft-OUT.png

Before we can look to snap up some impressive young talents in the draft we see two of our set off for pastures new as last-seasons arrival, Diego Lopez and Austrian Goalkeeper, Moritz Schumacher both leaving for our league rivals as we fail to come to a terms on new contracts.

Time to try our own luck in the draft...

Tran23Draft-IN.png

Tran23-b.png

Cost: Free

Returning to the same club that gifted us Thai striker, Anon Boonma, we snap up his former teammate, Charlie Gonzalez with the Twenty-One year old making the step up to the MLS to supply us with some more depth upfront. With the mental strength of an experienced finisher, he could soon give his old friend a run for this money.

With just the one player worth our effort in the draft, it's a welcome return to the relatively normal transfer window for the rest of my signings...

Tran23-OUT.png

Three departures from the first team, all released from their contracts as I desperately attempt to free up some space in the MLS's strict wage budget....oh how I hate the restrictions!

With the midfield thinned down and our three delegated players still ready and just about willing to enter another season it's time to try and squeeze seem talent through the MLS's frustrating restrictions...

Tran23-IN.png

Tran23-a.png

Released from Montreal Impact and somehow skipping through the entirety of the drafts, Francesco Marchi arrives in New York with a bright future ahead of him. With veteran defender Sergio Postiga leaving the club, the Twenty Year old could be set for an instant impact at the Yankee Stadium.

Tran23-d.png

Cost: £70k​

Popping up from my former club, MK Don's comes Irish striker Joe Mason. The experienced striker comes in to add a level head and proving scoring record to our young front-line. With the former Wolves front-man snapping up seven thousand a week he avoids taking up one of our designated slots but still manages to take up a large chunk of the budget. Big things expected.

Tran23-e.png

Having paid out to Chicago Fire to buy out his image rights, because heaven forbid signing a player in America could never be simple, we manage to prize Brandon Doody away from the Pumas with one of the States brightest young attacking midfield talents arriving to provide some depth behind our Algerian play-maker, Enzo Zidane. Big shoes to fill.

Tran23-f.png

We once again raid the lower rungs of American football to snap up Maldivian right back, Michael De Bellis. Much like our previous signings the young defender is here to add some much needed depth to our fragile back-line. With the former Dynamo player yet to experience any true first-team football he could be in for a baptism of firm in the MLS.

So having survived and scraped my way through another stretched out American transfer window, I've emerged eager and ready for another thrilling MLS season...

...Yeah.

With my current future stranded across the pond, it's time to make the most of my time in America...thrilling.

Good luck DerbyJack hope to see you back this side of the pond soon....

Hi DJ,

Not a football heavyweight, yet, I followed the mercenary code (money over reputation) and I am currently managing Shanghai.

Craving European football and was linked with Ajax but they wouldn't pay me what I wanted. (6)

Nosibor

i'm on my best merc run ever. 50k per week from Valencia, and 70k from Brazil. Mega bucks

I do as well Stuart!

That's still some impressive progress already. I'm struggling since leaving Europe. Home sick!

Jesus Ratmsm1 thats blowing me out the water. nice work!

Preseason
2024/25

Pre24-z.png

10th February 2024
Friendly

Pre24-a.png

So having scraped a team together through the most frustrating transfer window in football, I manage to drag myself away from drinking myself into oblivion in the City that never sleeps to make the most out of the impending MLS season. A ninth minute penalty at least makes it worth the effort as Zidane helps us overcome St Louis on the road.

14th February 2024
Friendly

Pre24-b.png

The boys continue to do their most to put me in a positive frame of mind despite my alcohol fueled home sickness. Two quickfire goals from the midfield saw us cruise past Montreal as we look to send a warning to the rest of the MLS teams in the country with our convincing victory. If I'm staying here I want some silverware!

17th February 2024
Friendly

Pre24-c.png

By the third game of the pre-season it seems the boys have worked out that my will to actually manage them has all but faded into obscurity. A goalless draw with the finest Communist Team in the country saw the will drop along with any hopes of winning anything from the forth coming season. Joyous times.

24th February 2024
Friendly

Pre24-d.png

Yeah... A professional manager would rally the troops, put on a brave face and give the squad a deserved rollicking to get them fired up and in position for the forth coming season. I am not that man. With the only thing keeping in the States being a month by month contract of Twelve Thousand pounds I head into the season proper in full mercenary mode!

Predictably with my effort reaching an all time low, their is little to no change in the formation...

Pre24.png

With the squad lining up in the now familiar 4-2-3-1 formation, we remain still reliant on the aging legs of both Otamendi and Ilkay Gundogan through the middle with New York Cities talismanic attacking midfielder, Enzo Zidane now looking to feed in Irish veteran, Joe Mason.

These boys need to make me believe again...

...Good luck.

March 2024​

Mar24-z.png

8th March 2024
MLS

Mar24-a.png

The boys instantly perk my interests back in America as we cruise to a comfortably victory over Houston Dynamo. A vastly improved second half saw the boys rattle in three goals without reply with only a last minute mistake doing anything to take away from an otherwise emphatic victory.

12th March 2024
MLS

Mar24-b.png

Another victory in the Hudson Derby ensures I at least remain king of New York as a Charlie Gonzalez effort breaks the deadlock to send us narrowly past our local and league rivals. The Red Bulls have been sluggish off the mark with two defeats putting the current champions on the back foot from the get go. This is shaping up nicely.

17th March 2024
MLS

Mar24-c.png

Another narrow victory all but instantly erases any thoughts of escaping America just yet as my fickle footballing brain is instantly switched back as City hold on top their status at the top of the table with some long awaited silverware tempting me into seeing through another season at the Yankee Stadium.

23rd March 2024
MLS

Mar24-d.png

Despite going behind to former Chelsea striker, Patrick Bamford's effort within just ten minutes, the boys respond in title winning fashion as a lack luster display still manages to see them raise to the challenge with another goal for Draft signing, Charlie Gonzalez setting Jack Cresswell up with the opportunity to claim the headlines with a late winner.

27th March 2024
MLS

Mar24-e.png

We round off an emphatic month of football with a convincing victory over Columbus Crew. A fortunate goal gave us a goal against the run of play and with the wind quickly taken out of the Crews sails we dominated the rest of proceedings with a second-half penalty ensuring the points with ease.

March 2024
MLS - Eastern Conference

Mar24.png

March 2024
MLS - Supporters Shield

Mar24-1.png

Perhaps this is destiny? With my time in America unwillingly extended it seems the Footballing Gods are set to teach me lesson in patience as my New York City side smash their way to the top of the Eastern Conference and the Supporters Shield in unbeaten fashion. With the season only running till early November this quick start could already prove important!

Just caught up after a week or so away. Maybe, as you say, you're destined to take some silverware with you when you leave NYC

Welcome back neavie! I think it would certainly serve as some form of compensation for killing my motivation!

April 2024

Apr24-z.png

6th April 2024
MLS

Apr24-a.png

The boys continue their rampant form as they stroll past last season's third place side, Philadelphia Union. A dominant second half saw the boys shoot into a two goal lead within the opening half an hour, whilst Enzo Zidane quickly ended any hope of a second-half turn around as he added a third just minutes after the second-half whistle.

10th April 2024
MLS

Apr24-b.png

The streak is over. Having dominated their way to the top of the table it seemed it was going to take a monumental effort to shift City from their winning ways...apparently not. A quick-fire opening goal rattled our experienced squad with a goal just before the break adding to our woes and gifting DC with an unexpected victory.

13th April 2024
MLS

Apr24-c.png

Things continue to quickly spiral downwards as our League and Big Apple rivals cruise their way to a late victory in the Hudson derby stealing away bragging rights with a humiliating defeat at the Yankee Stadium and shifting us off of the top spot as our undefeated streak is quickly forgotten. It seems destiny has deserted me...

21st April 2024
MLS

Apr24-d.png

...Or maybe not. Our designated players finally take it upon themselves to justify their ludicrous wages as the trio combine to send us past a spirited Minnesota. With the season now very much up for grabs we are going to need our experienced players to combine like this every game if we are to reclaim our place at the top.

25th April 2024
MLS

Apr24-e.png

Well that's not going to help. Any thoughts that we might be suffering just a small blip on the road to the title are quickly squashed as lowly Canadians, Montreal Impact leave us shell shocked with a deserved victory North of the border. With three defeats this season, I'm already casting my eyes back across the pond.

April 2024
MLS - Eastern Conference

Apr24.png

April 2024
MLS - Supporters Shield

Apr24-1.png

Despite smashing them at the start of the month, Philadelphia Union find themselves taking up the reigns at the top of the table, with our New York rivals, Red Bulls finally emerging from the depths following their sluggish start to the season. If we're to have any hope of grabbing a title we're going to need to fix up our form sharpish.