The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
So? as long as the players get fit thats the main thing, i wouldnt be too concerned. Chelsea had a terrible pre-season last year and yet made a blistering start

Yes, but Chelsea played good/decent teams (Ajax, Hamburg), whereas Liverpool have been playing relatively weak teams, with the exception (maybe) of Galatasaray. Plus, as I stated before, they've conceded 3 goals per game, and from what I saw in this last game the back 4 were having all sorts of trouble.

Well, 90% of the Newcastle team cost more than 90% of the Barcelona team, does that mean we should thrash them?

Well aren't you bright! Cut the irony ****, my point is quite clear. 'Pool's squad should be more than capable of beating Valerenga, yet they didn't look comfortable at all.

Yes, but Chelsea played good/decent teams (Ajax, Hamburg), whereas Liverpool have been playing relatively weak teams, with the exception (maybe) of Galatasaray. Plus, as I stated before, they've conceded 3 goals per game, and from what I saw in this last game the back 4 were having all sorts of trouble.

Well aren't you bright! Cut the irony ****, my point is quite clear. 'Pool's squad should be more than capable of beating Valerenga, yet they didn't look comfortable at all.

They looked tired and leggy, like a team that isnt quite fit yet. No major concerns for them, dont see why they should be worried

If you're going to make a stupid point, expect a stupid response.

It's not like they had all their star players out, you have new players like Downing/Adam/Henderson/Carroll (to an extent), twinned with youngsters like Spearing/Robinson. You can't expect teams to be gelled perfectly after being together training for only a few weeks, with big names missing, youngsters playing, new players playing, it's not about the result. I am unsure if you watched the game, but Downing put in a few telling crosses, which Carroll nearly scored from in the second half, Henderson put in a good shift, but he won't be a starting player in front of Gerrard in most games, Adam looked ok, but I still don't see him being a starter ahead of Lucas or Meireles, or even Aquaman if he stays, although I would happily be proven wrong, as I think Adam is a tidy player.

Considering the likes of Gerrard, Suarez, Lucas, Meireles, Maxi, Skrtel etc didn't play any part in the game, it's hard to judge a team on that one performance. Valerenga looked much more match fit, it has to be said, they looked sharper than Liverpool today.

Although, I imagine these views will just be discarded as irony, considering your a closet Everton fan with no ability to understand a different viewpoint on a situation, other than your own.

They looked tired and leggy, like a team that isnt quite fit yet. No major concerns for them, dont see why they should be worried

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I was expecting a Liverpool win, if not a comfortable one at least one backed by a good performance, and it wasn't the case.

Anyways, I'm off to get a beer and something to eat for tonight, should be an interesting game. GL, although I've got a sneaky feeling we're gonna take the damage.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

If you're going to make a stupid point, expect a stupid response.

It's not like they had all their star players out, you have new players like Downing/Adam/Henderson/Carroll (to an extent), twinned with youngsters like Spearing/Robinson. You can't expect teams to be gelled perfectly after being together training for only a few weeks, with big names missing, youngsters playing, new players playing, it's not about the result. I am unsure if you watched the game, but Downing put in a few telling crosses, which Carroll nearly scored from in the second half, Henderson put in a good shift, but he won't be a starting player in front of Gerrard in most games, Adam looked ok, but I still don't see him being a starter ahead of Lucas or Meireles, or even Aquaman if he stays, although I would happily be proven wrong, as I think Adam is a tidy player.

Considering the likes of Gerrard, Suarez, Lucas, Meireles, Maxi, Skrtel etc didn't play any part in the game, it's hard to judge a team on that one performance. Valerenga looked much more match fit, it has to be said, they looked sharper than Liverpool today.

Although, I imagine these views will just be discarded as irony, considering your a closet Everton fan with no ability to understand a different viewpoint on a situation, other than your own.

Valerenga also had a lots of youngsters out, as a matter of fact it was the reserve keeper on goal during the second half.

And about your last sentence... oh the irony.

Anyways, my previous post suits you, too. And if there's anything in particular you'd like to tell me feel free to vm me, you sound pretty resentful and I really don't know why.

Other than that, have a good day.

For the 5th consecutive friendly, we've conceded 3, and for the 3rd time in a row, we've failed to win.

It might be pre-season, but it needs sorting out. It isn't good enough.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I was expecting a Liverpool win, if not a comfortable one at least one backed by a good performance, and it wasn't the case.

Anyways, I'm off to get a beer and something to eat for tonight, should be an interesting game. GL, although I've got a sneaky feeling we're gonna take the damage.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Valerenga also had a lots of youngsters out, as a matter of fact it was the reserve keeper on goal during the second half.

And about your last sentence... oh the irony.

Anyways, my previous post suits you, too. And if there's anything in particular you'd like to tell me feel free to vm me, you sound pretty resentful and I really don't know why.

Other than that, have a good day.

If you want an objective discussion about LFC's shortcomings on the field from LFC fans mate then I suggest that this is not the thread to get it. Wind ups for their own sake are not really appreciated & cause resentment & sometimes innocent posts can be mistaken as such. For that reason I personallynever post on other club's dedicated threads as I see them as only of concern to their own fans & also wrong conclusions are too easily drawn from crossover fans' posts.

Life's too short.

We've been largely **** in preseason & need sorting out; a new LB & CB need getting in asap - so nothing new there.

Last edited:
****'s sake, it's pre-******-season. Results don't matter at all. We're still blending players in. Downing actually looked very good, tracked back well, put in some lovely crosses with both feet. Carroll got a goal, Agger's looking sharp and fit; it was a much better performance than the prior matches. I have no worries, especially to think Gerrard/Lucas/Suarez still have to come in, three starters. Especially when Aquilani's looking top.

I'm really hoping LFC hierarchy wake up now and see Aquilani's ability, he made more passes than any other player in the Juventus team last year with the highest completion rate. The guy has immense ability, play him alongside Gerrard with Lucas in a holding role and Suarez/Carroll/Downing up top and I think you have a top team. You let Aquilani go and replace him with Charlie Adam then IMO that's such a huge step down it's unbelievable.

Really hope you keep him, the old owners/coaches have treated him so poorly and made him feel so unwanted that he hasn't even moved his young family over from Torino. He still doesn't know if he's wanted, he's a lifelong LFC fan and the way people treated him was disgraceful (mainly H&G, Bentiez and Hodgson).

If he gets assurances that he is important then there's no doubt he will stay and move his family over, I don't blame Alberto one bit for anything that's happened to him none of it's his fault.

And yeah was a decent display and going against Valarenga who are in full flow fitness wise was always going to be a test, Kenny's getting there.

But yeah it would really frustrate me if you sell him to Juventus, despite supporting Juventus, I would rather see him kept in the BPL and show supporters what he can do.

Agger is looking sharp and fit but for me I would want to bring in another CB, Coates would be ideal and reasonably priced.

Enjoyed watching the game anyway, not forgetting the overwhelming overtone of the massacre/bomb I think LFC handled themselves amicably and there's no shame in drawing 3-3. I see no need whatsoever to panic...

Still how many pre season games are left for Liverpool? If they have 2 or 3 then their first team players can be match fit for the start of the season, if they have only one left then Isn't it a risk that the first team players might not be match fit for the first game? Suarez and Lucas played in Copa but other than that few players didn't play isn't it..

oO)

The fuss?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Still how many pre season games are left for Liverpool? If they have 2 or 3 then their first team players can be match fit for the start of the season, if they have only one left then Isn't it a risk that the first team players might not be match fit for the first game? Suarez and Lucas played in Copa but other than that few players didn't play isn't it..

Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Adam, Henderson, Downing, Kuyt, Carroll, Aquilani, etc have all played three + games this pre-season.

I definitely heard the name Xabi Alonso. They both look a bit strained. I just wish we would keep him as he can clearly do a decent job and is a much better option than a Poulsen.

It's not his agent's fault Aquilani got sent out on loan or got discarded by the club...

It's the club who have made him feel not wanted, I don't like it when people blame Aquilani or even his agent (who is a tad...colourful). If Aquilani comes back to Italy it's the club that have pushed him away not the player wanting the move away. I've mentioned it before about Aqua man, he needs assurances by Kenny/Board. He could settle if he was wanted, I don't think the club want him which is the saddest thing. Think it's a disgrace the way he's been treated at LFC.

Jose Enrique joining Liverpool on thursday, discuss.

Source??

Well personally Im not too concerned by pre season. Its not about winning games, its about getting fit. Would you rather trash a few teams 4-0 in a meaningless game and get a few players injured or lose or draw games and slowly build up players fitness levels? Think thats a fairly obvious one. Also worth noting that most players only play 45 mins a game and its hard to get the same kind of consistency in a half rather than a full game when the real business kicks off. For anybody that plays you know it takes a few weeks to shake off the rustiness and get back match fit.

Really hope the Aquaman stays, I'll be the first to agree I was never his biggest fan but looking at the pre seasons and looked over a few Juve games last season I hope he stays. He has a lot to offer the club and think we should place our faith in him

Twitter went batshit over it earlier and a lot of news papers are starting to "confirm" the deal too, somwhere between 5-6mil I believe. His medical is on Thursday so deal looks set to be completed then.

I have to agree with you on the pre-season, few years ago we got beaten by everyone in it then came second in the league.
Players need to gel together and half the time they're only really playing at half match pace which shows in the way they go into tackles and how badly they chase balls.

Aquaman has realistically been our best player all pre-season, either it's down to him putting in a little more work to try and keep his place at the club or he's just actually been better than the rest we'll see. The way he has been treated by the club is a bit poor, hopfully Kenny realises his talents and keeps him around, could be a really big player for us in the season seeing as though Gerrard looks to be out for much of it.

Back