The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
That's the rumour flying around but waiting for something official before I start cursing our continued bad luck.
Ive just read on footie365 that its not that serious... Is that the case do you know?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I don't put much credence on a lot of stats in modern day footie. Many are completely superfluous and don't tell anything like the whole story. They can be manipulated to suit most any argument. The 'stats' will tell you Alby Moreno for example 'created' more chances than any other footballer in Europe last year. Which sounds great until you discover that a 5 yard lay off to Phil who then invariably blazed it over the bar from 20 yards out goes down as a 'chance created.'

That said, to put some individual context in answering on Ragnar, his debut Sunday was fantastic. 100% of his tackles won (3)/ 9 clearances- More than any other player on the park. Unbelievably Arsenal's centre half's only had ONE each/ 75% of his ariel duals won (3)/ 2 blocks, and 85% passing accuracy. Not too shabby at all.

Just a continuation from the solid, simple style he's shown all pre-season to the extent that when we saw the team news Sunday, nobody was concerned at all that he was making his debut at centre half. His positional intelligence not only in his own role, but in covering for others has stood out thus far too.

So to answer your question, we're loving him and more so he's loving his big opportunity at 31 to play for one of the giants:

[video=youtube;x_uSaA4kDfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_uSaA4kDfM[/video]

Loved the way he was very grounded too after the arsenal game in enjoying a great victory but pointing out what still needs to be worked on.

Whether he becomes a regular, or just a solid *** back-uo, Ragnar the Red is already a cult hero in the making.
Yup spot on he was the one player who really impressed me in the **** match.

Ive just read on footie365 that its not that serious... Is that the case do you know?

Conflicting rumours mate. Still waiting for something official.

Although I have seen a picture of him driving away today. Can't be a dislocated shoulder if he's able to drive surely?

Yeah defo not a dislocation on Mane. But will be out of Burnley trip just heard on SSN. Should manage without him for that one.

Phew. Look's like we've had some good injury news for once and dodged one:

Liverpool fears over Mane injury allayed - but new boy still major doubt for Burnley trip - Liverpool Echo

Not even gonna' try predict what the crazy German will do Saturday but I'd love to see Origi in personally. Either attacking from out wide or dropping Firmino back and him up top.
It seems to me Klopp see's Firmino as his first choice striker. So it will be interesting to see what happens when all the strikers are fit. I really feel for Ings though, personally feel he might be gone next season or Jan as he has fallen down the pecking order. Pity as the Injury last season robbed him of the chance to impress Klopp.

It seems to me Klopp see's Firmino as his first choice striker. So it will be interesting to see what happens when all the strikers are fit. I really feel for Ings though, personally feel he might be gone next season or Jan as he has fallen down the pecking order. Pity as the Injury last season robbed him of the chance to impress Klopp.

I think it's a fitness thing more than anything with Ings. They reckon once you're out with an ACL, it takes as long again to totally regain full strength/ fitness once you're back. And he was out for 9 months. Klopp was saying although he was playing in pre-season, particularly early, he was missing a lot of session's as he just couldn't train after the games he played in.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play in a lot of the U-23 games as he builds his fitness back up but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Agreed on Firmino going off both pre-season/ the opener and the big games last year. He really seems to like him up there and his work rate's probably the key difference to Sturridge. (Who incidentally I see as third choice right now behind Bobby and Origi.). They'll all have their part to play this year. Just probably not half as much as Daniel would like so that'll be interesting to watch if he starts sulking again.

The great thing now with the added pace this summer is when Firmino drops back, someone's prepared to fill the gap. The amount of men we had in the box for all four goals the weekend was fantastic to see. You can't possibly cover that and there's always one over. And if you somehow do, there's the likes of Henderson or Can also breaking.

It's fixing to be as an exciting an attacking, goal laden side we've seen since Kenny's great '87/'88 team. The '13/'14 side included.

Last edited:
I think it's a fitness thing more than anything with Ings. They reckon once you're out with an ACL, it takes as long again to totally regain full strength/ fitness once you're back. And he was out for 9 months. Klopp was saying although he was playing in pre-season, particularly early, he was missing a lot of session's as he just couldn't train after the games he played in.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play in a lot of the U-23 games as he builds his fitness back up but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Agreed on Firmino going off both pre-season/ the opener and the big games last year. He really seems to like him up there and his work rate's probably the key difference to Sturridge. (Who incidentally I see as third choice right now behind Bobby and Origi.). They'll all have their part to play this year. Just probably not half as much as Daniel would like so that'll be interesting to watch if he starts sulking again.

The great thing now with the added pace this summer is when Firmino drops back, someone's prepared to fill the gap. The amount of men we had in the box for all four goals the weekend was fantastic to see. You can't possibly cover that and there's always one over. And if you do, there's the likes of Henderson or Can also breaking.

It's fixing to be as an exciting an attacking, goal laden side we've seen since Kenny's great '87/'88 team. The '13/'14 side included.

Imagine Suarez spearheading the attack of your current side though.. I'd be frightened.

Imagine Suarez spearheading the attack of your current side though.. I'd be frightened.

Guaranteed title. Klopp would love him. He's his identikit footballer.

That's what's so crazy with the Pogba fee (not so much the player and his potential) for me. Aside from the fact I don't think any player is worth that, regardless of the market or a clubs individual finances; if you're going to pay stupid money like that, you want the difference maker. Luis Suarez guarantees, as much as any one player can in the ultimate team sport, like Messi or Ronaldo, any club in England the league. Pogba not so much.

It seem's we're now getting to the stage where you're not just paying the silly money for the ridiculous amount of difference making goals.

Last edited:
Good news on Sadio.

At least it'll give Origi a chance to spearhead the attack and replace some of the pace missing without Mane. Im guessing a three behind him of Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana with two of Hendo, Can and Wij further back. (Lallana dropping in to make a mid three, of course)

Glad to hear positive from you guys. Lot of football to play and lets hope he can shine more for Liverpool ;)

If he fits best as one of the 4 brilliant. If say Sakho and Matip ultimately stand out as the best partnership and Ragnar is just a reliable depth guy, equally brilliant.

We've gone, IMHO, from an absolute shambles of a central defensive unit to now arguably having the strongest group in the entire league in Lovren, Matip, Ragnar and Sakho. With young Joe Gomez to join that at some point who looked as natural a step up at 18 from a 24 game debut season at Charlton to the starting the PL as anyone I've seen since Robbie Jones went from 4th Division Crewe on the Friday to taking Ryan Giggs completely out of the game the Sunday on live TV way back when.

Certainly in terms of personnel a severe area of weakness is now one of strength and no longer a concern.

Good news on Sadio.

At least it'll give Origi a chance to spearhead the attack and replace some of the pace missing without Mane.....

So excited to watch his continued development this season. The way he came on last year under Klopp was tremendous. Makes you wonder just how much different the run-in may of been if we'd had him in the mix the level he was playing at when the bitter f went and did him? And he's carried that form right over into pre-season. Now he's adding finishing and composure to his strength and rapid pace we could have an absolute beast on our hands. Clearly our top striker for me right now. Not on Sturrridge's level ability wise naturally. But he fit's what we do far better than Daniel with that ridiculous speed pulling all over/ in behind and ability to hold it up.

I don't think people appreciate just how much he developed last year with still a good amount of growth to go and just how good he could become. (And again, happy to hold my hand up there as like many reds, I never even had him down as a footballer this time last year so horrible had he been in pre-season under Rodgers. SO happy to be proved wrong there.).

What yer reckon he's capable of goals wise this year? 15-20 if he get's the games? Certainly double figures.

Last edited:
So excited to watch his continued development this season. The way he came on last year under Klopp was tremendous. Makes you wonder just how much different the run-in may of been if we'd had him in the mix the level he was playing at when the bitter f went and did him? And he's carried that form right over into pre-season. Now he's adding finishing and composure to his strength and rapid pace we could have an absolute beast on our hands. Clearly our top striker for me right now. Not on Sturrridge's level ability wise naturally. But he fit's what we do far better than Daniel with that ridiculous speed pulling all over/ in behind and ability to hold it up.

I don't think people appreciate just how much he developed last year with still a good amount of growth to go and just how good he could become. (And again, happy to hold my hand up there as like many reds, I never even had him down as a footballer this time last year so horrible had he been in pre-season under Rodgers. SO happy to be proved wrong there.).

What yer reckon he's capable of goals wise this year? 15-20 if he get's the games? Certainly double figures.

Always thought he had a high ceiling I watched him a lot at Lille and he was impressive for them but inconsistent as young players are, was great business imo picking him up cannot remember the price but especially compared to this summer he was relatively cheap was it about the 12m-15m range? The only mistake was loaning him back, was a total waste of a year and you could tell he thought that too in the way he played.

edit - goals wise think given the attacking playstyle if he gets games he should be aiming for 15

Last edited:
..... was great business imo picking him up cannot remember the price but especially compared to this summer he was relatively cheap was it about the 12m-15m range? The only mistake was loaning him back, was a total waste of a year and you could tell he thought that too in the way he played......

The years loan back was part of reason we got him for around the £10 million mark mate.

And TBF, looking at where he was last pre-season, he'd of gotten eaten alive the PL at 18/19 so raw was he so it made sense all ways round to go get another years experience at the time in France. Just didn't turn out to be a good/ happy one for him.

Kudos to the committee/ Rodgers for actually getting one right.

Last edited:
The years loan back was part of reason we got him for around the £10 million mark mate.

And TBF, looking at where he was last pre-season, he'd of gotten eaten alive the PL at 18/19 so raw was he so it made sense all ways round to go get another years experience at the time in France. Just didn't turn out to be a good/ happy one for him.

Kudos to the committee/ Rodgers for actually getting one right.

he did have a couple of decent matches in the loan deal, I seem to recall the Wolfsburg Europa match he was particularly lively had their fullback on toast as Lille was utilising him as an inside left forward at that point I seem to recall. I think he scored a pen that match but the performance was what caught my eye and I thought that pool had gotten a real talent on their hands

Great stuff to read et. Ta for that.

We've certainly been seeing the fruits of that potential through 2016 to date and he's nowhere near the finished article yet. Gonna' be real fun watching him hopefully continue that development this year.

Back