The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Fantastic way to finally open at home with an absolute route of the Champions.

Some of the movement and interplay was absolutely brilliant and the patience to keep doing it even when it isn't yielding the end result early was very pleasing. Should of been out of sight 2 or 3 at half time bar the Lucas f-up. Why Mingolet gave him the ball there to start with (his distribution was shocking yet again all game) heck only knows? But put it for a throw. Put it out for a corner. Put it ANYWHERE but across the face your own goal. That aside he recovered well the rest of the game alongside Matip who looks straight out of the Hansen/ Hyypia mould of classy centre-backs. I'm running out of superlatives for Mane. He's been at such a level every game he's played thus far ..... Outside of Johnny Barnes start back in '87 I can't remember a better first four games for Liverpool or a player that's captured the imagination and anticipation of everyone watching him. Which is about as high a compliment as I can give as John Barnes is the most naturally gifted footballer I've ever had the privilege of watching live. From any club. Special mention to Wynaldum too. He's been questioned thus far for his lack of goals, but every game he's played he's been real today in keeping everything ticking over the middle and the way he's often ahead of everyone the box is fantastic to see. Ronnie Whelan comes to mind. A player I don't think people will realise just how important he is to the side until he's not in the side for whatever reason. And once Can is back and he can be more attacking in his more natural advanced role. .....

And as for 'The Beast' ..... AKA the new Main Stand ..... WOW! That thing is HUGE! Even when your sat watching the game your eyes are just taken to it. And the open space they've created outside ..... Absolutely unrecognisable from the last game of last season. The 24/7 work that's gone the last 4 months to transform the whole area around the ground, never mind the behemoth they've constructed you just can't speak highly enough about all concerned.

Oh yeah, a positive goal difference. 4 games in. Last year, it took until February for that to happen.

Arsenal, Tottenham and now the Champions absolutely blown away by the attacking play.

Not bad for a team that's 5-7th at best huh zz? Smiles.

Another great day watching Jurgens Reds. Onto the next one Friday at Chelsea.
Agree with everything just replace Hendo with Wiji. Everything good started with him today mate. Although Wiji was ok he still needs to do more for me.

Agree with everything just replace Hendo with Wiji. Everything good started with him today mate. Although Wiji was ok he still needs to do more for me.

Probably need to watch the game back. Which I probably will tomorrow because, when you've just destroyed the Champions 4 and should of had at least 2 more, why not? But I just don't see it in him. Two glaring things jump out from today. He was exceptionally lucky to win a free kick first half when he dawdled on the ball. If the fouls not given we're in big trouble. And then he blazes over what would of been a stupendous team goal when it was harder to do that than score.

Maybe it's because I think he's so mediocre that those negatives are what stay in mind from today. Maybe he was great and you see that as you think the complete opposite of him to me.

But I just don't get the cult thing with him at all. I just got through listening to the Wrap review and they all thought he was great and second only to Firmino for MOTM. Whereas I thought he was bang average and the poorest outfield player in red.

I shall watch the game again.

Probably need to watch the game back. Which I probably will tomorrow because, when you've just destroyed the Champions 4 and should of had at least 2 more, why not? But I just don't see it in him. Two glaring things jump out from today. He was exceptionally lucky to win a free kick first half when he dawdled on the ball. If the fouls not given we're in big trouble. And then he blazes over what would of been a stupendous team goal when it was harder to do that than score.

Maybe it's because I think he's so mediocre that those negatives are what stay in mind from today. Maybe he was great and you see that as you think the complete opposite of him to me.

But I just don't get the cult thing with him at all. I just got through listening to the Wrap review and they all thought he was great and second only to Firmino for MOTM. Whereas I thought he was bang average and the poorest outfield player in red.

I shall watch the game again.
I think its one of those things, if someone has a negative view on a player its hard to shake it off even if they have a good game. Personally for me I feel he gives our team balance, considering we have so many attacking players we need someone in the mid who provides cover but is also adept at passing from deep. I feel people get to worked up over having the best players, building a team is far more important imo. P.S special mention to Milner who was immense and kept the best player in the league last season quiet.

Arsenal, Tottenham and now the Champions absolutely blown away by the attacking play.

Not bad for a team that's 5-7th at best huh zz? Smiles.

Another great day watching Jurgens Reds. Onto the next one Friday at Chelsea.

Arsenal were 'blown away by your attacking play' yet recovered to score 3. Tottenham were 'blown away by your attacking play' yet got a point from the game. I would not get too smug just yet.

Its easy to motivate the players for these big games. The mark of a true champion is when these players can replicate the same performance in a mid-week away game against a smaller unglamorous side and come away with 3 points. So far it does not seem that way but its a long season so I'll reserve judgement.

Meh. That Arsenal game was never a 4-3 game and but for more luck, composure and better officiating Tottenham are dead and buried before they equalise. Point being in all likelihood they'll be very few teams go to North London, preform as well as that, and be genuinely disappointed to not have 6 out of 6 from those trips.

It's been getting better game on game this season and L'pool's displays have been as good as anything the league. When they turn it on in 15/20 minutes spells nobody can cope with that. The sheer number of bodies just can't be picked up. Only Burnley that's skewing the start and 9 times out of 10 you at the least get a point when you dominate to such an extent. Just lacked the decision making the final third.

See yers on Friday. Conte and his ultra defensive want is exactly one of those games. Smiles.

Last edited:
Still buzzing off what is the single biggest stand in Europe.

Seriously, anyone going to Anfield, take your time to walk all around. The transformation outside is as spectacular as the structure itself. The space that's opened up and the classy way it's been done compared to how it was is mind blowing. The respectful way they've made a great reflective area for the memorial, the trees and greenery, sorting out the entrance the park, the space that's opened up the back of Anny Road ..... Really can't commend the club enough for what they've done and the construction guys for working round the clock to transform it all in 4 short months.

If that's any indication, when the next phases are implemented the whole local area, one of the most deprived and under developed the City, will get the massive boost its needed for years.

Never realised there's a hotel going up either until yesterday which should swell L'pool's coffers even further.

Funny how reconstruction like that can make everything feel like it's suddenly a major 21st century club in a stadium to match.

Last edited:
I am far from biased when it comes to accessing Liverpool players, their attack is jaw-dropping this season at times, I even defend Jordan Henderson against some Liverpool fans, but I'm sorry, I won't change my mind on this one. Lucas Leiva is not a good player, bang average to be frank, and if a report I read during the summer is correct, that he's really on 80 grand a week (more than starters such as Coutinho, Lovren, Lallana, Clyne, Wijnaldum etc) then he's bound to be laughing all the way the bank every week in recent years. Your club needs to move on average deadwood like him, that's just my opinion.

Read your last few posts...

Reaction-Pic---nobody-cares.jpg

The youngster would be 3rd/ 4th choice. And currently injured.

having Lucas isn't a good thing. But it also doesn't matter as he's so far down. His experience doesn't make up for the fact that he's actually woefully average now and shouldn't really playing. But as long as he's a fifth choice its not an issue

having Lucas isn't a good thing. But it also doesn't matter as he's so far down. His experience doesn't make up for the fact that he's actually woefully average now and shouldn't really playing. But as long as he's a fifth choice its not an issue

If the issue with Sakho hadn't come to a head then he quite possibly wouldn't be here now. But I wouldn't say he's dropped off to that significant a degree. He could still play regularly at the right club and be a decent asset. Thought he done well yesterday bar his moment of madness. And he's a real good pro to have around. Even now there's no moaning about what his role now is.

Just funny that people picked out a 5th choice player in a position who's only gonna' play in an emergency the league. (Lovren doesn't get the shiner Friday hes probably not even on the bench yesterday. Probably wouldn't of started if Klavan hadn't been carrying a knock.).

People chose the strangest things to try make something out of. No real issue at all with a 5th choice cover guy as you keep mentioning.

If the issue with Sakho hadn't come to a head then he quite possibly wouldn't be here now. But I wouldn't say he's dropped off to that significant a degree. He could still play regularly at the right club and be a decent asset. Thought he done well yesterday bar his moment of madness. And he's a real good pro to have around. Even now there's no moaning about what his role now is.

Just funny that people picked out a 5th choice player in a position who's only gonna' play in an emergency the league. (Lovren doesn't get the shiner Friday hes probably not even on the bench yesterday. Probably wouldn't of started if Klavan hadn't been carrying a knock.).

People chose the strangest things to try make something out of. No real issue at all with a 5th choice cover guy as you keep mentioning.
Should clarify, when I say playing I mean at Liverpool at CB.

Meh. That Arsenal game was never a 4-3 game and but for more luck, composure and better officiating Tottenham are dead and buried before they equalise. Point being in all likelihood they'll be very few teams go to North London, preform as well as that, and be genuinely disappointed to not have 6 out of 6 from those trips.

It's been getting better game on game this season and L'pool's displays have been as good as anything the league. When they turn it on in 15/20 minutes spells nobody can cope with that. The sheer number of bodies just can't be picked up. Only Burnley that's skewing the start and 9 times out of 10 you at the least get a point when you dominate to such an extent. Just lacked the decision making the final third.

See yers on Friday. Conte and his ultra defensive want is exactly one of those games. Smiles.

Indeed. I think Liverpool will win the game next week tbh but silly points dropped against smaller teams will cost you this season.

Indeed. I think Liverpool will win the game next week tbh but silly points dropped against smaller teams will cost you this season.

Was having a similar conversation last night. Swansea and Hull, which come in between Chelsea and Utd, are far more interesting to how the side is evolving. Swansea we have a terrible record at since they've moved grounds. Hull will just come and sit with 10 in their own area you'd imagine. Should be 6 out of 6 but there's the concern down to repeated L'pool failures against those type of sides the last quarter of a Century.

Mad when you're more concerned with Swansea and Hull than the Chelsea and Utd games that bookend them.

Absolutely. Ta.

BTW, I watched Dahoud the first time for the German U-21's the other teatime. (Don't ask.). Very impressed at his potential. Defo need to catch a few Gladbach games this year.

Why the witch hunt? Lucas has been one of Liverpools most reliable players for the past 9 years. He's very good on the ball and reads the game well. If he doesn't make the mistake, he'd be praised by his performance in defence. Let's give credit to Liverpool for dismantling last seasons champions.

Leicester have struggled without Kante. Their replacement for him (Mendy) is average. He isn't good enough. They could have gotten a better replacement for half the price. They made a big mistake.

Why the witch hunt? Lucas has been one of Liverpools most reliable players for the past 9 years. He's very good on the ball and reads the game well. If he doesn't make the mistake, he'd be praised by his performance in defence. Let's give credit to Liverpool for dismantling last seasons champions.

Leicester have struggled without Kante. Their replacement for him (Mendy) is average. He isn't good enough. They could have gotten a better replacement for half the price. They made a big mistake.

If you think this is s witch hunt you might want to read my posts again from the start. Because you have missed the point by a country mile

..... Leicester have struggled without Kante. Their replacement for him (Mendy) is average. He isn't good enough. They could have gotten a better replacement for half the price. They made a big mistake.

I was talking to a few Leicester fans the pub yesterday afternoon and they all said they'd much rather of lost Vardy or Mahrez (not that they wanted to lose either like), than Kante.

He was their heartbeat where everything started last season and they're currently missing his presence there massively.

Last edited:
I was talking to a few Leicester fans the pub yesterday afternoon and they all said they'd much rather of lost Vardy or Mahrez (not that they wanted to lose either like), than Kante.

He was their heartbeat where everything started last season and they're currently missing his presence their massively.

They should have replaced him with Idrissa Gueye imo. He was one of Villa's 2 decent central midfielders and had a superb season. He was up there with Kanté in terms of interceptions and looked like he had something about him. Everton snagged him for just 7 Million.

They should have replaced him with Idrissa Gueye imo. He was one of Villa's 2 decent central midfielders and had a superb season. He was up there with Kanté in terms of interceptions and looked like he had something about him. Everton snagged him for just 7 Million.

Good shout. For all the mocking to be done of Everton (and they just keep making it SO easy for yer. Honestly think they've got a complete fraud of an owner who won't invest and just flip the club in a few years for a nice profit); Guaye has by all accounts been outstanding.

He's the one player Blues seem to be really raving about thus far.

Back