The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Good shout. For all the mocking to be done of Everton (and they just keep making it SO easy for yer. Honestly think they've got a complete fraud of an owner who won't invest and just flip the club in a few years for a nice profit); Guaye has by all accounts been outstanding.

He's the one player Blues seem to be really raving about thus far.

Bolasie was vastly overpriced though. A headless chicken. Excellent dribbling but no end product. They may still had issues in the middle of the park. Barry is losing their legs and McCarthy's defensive output isn't much better as well as lacking Berry's passing ability. Gueye should solve that.

They got Williams who's good but error prone. They need another good central defender and a goalkeeping upgrade.

Barkley still dribbles into dead ends, makes few recoveries and makes terrible decisions. Showed some signs of output last season. Deulofeu is their most productive player by a mile and I don't see the point of Bolasie.

Thank you. Utd's a great club too. Goes without saying. Said often on here I honestly don't hate Utd. I seriously dislike them as much as the next man. But I don't hate them. (Horrible emotion but Chelsea hold that above anyone else.). The Ferguson era aside, both clubs have ironically always got on real well over the years and are far more alike than many would like to admit. I actually think it's real healthy for both England's big two to be prominent at the top of the game and push each other.

Most Utd 'fans' on the other hand ..... But there's no need to get into that.

totally agree,i as a united fan dislike liverpool but have great admiration for the club.Have family who are pool fans and think its a shame that a minoity have soured the relationship

Bolasie was vastly overpriced though. A headless chicken. Excellent dribbling but no end product. They may still had issues in the middle of the park. Barry is losing their legs and McCarthy's defensive output isn't much better as well as lacking Berry's passing ability. Gueye should solve that.

They got Williams who's good but error prone. They need another good central defender and a goalkeeping upgrade.

Barkley still dribbles into dead ends, makes few recoveries and makes terrible decisions. Showed some signs of output last season. Deulofeu is their most productive player by a mile and I don't see the point of Bolasie.

They bought Bolasie to 'add goals.' The same Yanick Bolasie who's scored a whopping TEN goals in nearly a hundred games the last 4 years. Williams I like but £12 million for a player L'pool passed on 4 years ago when he was in his prime? They started the window by only buying the woeful Stekelenburg (Who is. Regardless of his good start the year), Fulham's reserve 'keeper who is now their first choice after they passed on Hart who I know was offered to both Merseyside clubs. And then there was no sniff of a signing until they'd sold Stones and got money in. (Telling yer', Moshiri is a complete fraud.). The Sissoko episode to round out the window was just the funniest transfer window thing in ages. To then have Moshiri come out with even more base hilarity that 'they didn't really want Sissoko and want to build and be loyal to their own like McCarthy. We're a 'family' at Everton yer know!' ..... Who they tried their damndest to offload most all the window was just priceless.

Which is all very strange when they're now the self proclaimed Merseyside Millionaires. 'We're f-ing rich!' ..... 'Uhmm, nah. You're not. Yer's still the same bunch of tramps yers always been. Kenwright was rich but that didn't matter either as he wouldn't spend a penny. Bellends.'

I kind of like Barkley but most every blue I know ironically doesn't. He get's some real criticism pretty much for what you said.

They have a top manager now so there is that but the clubs a continued shambles. Annoyingly, it looks like the council are willing to buy them the land and half fund a new ground on two sites going cheap. Which is a complete joke in itself given L'pool got absolutely zero financial help publicly. But then Joe Anderson, the mayor and Council leader, is a massive blue. Funny that.

I honestly think the Iranian is only here to make a quick buck, take advantage of the new TV money and possible funded new ground, flip the club for a **** of a lot more than he bought it for and move on in a few years.

But enough of the blue *****. It's wearying haha.

Last edited:
Firmino isn't getting enough love for his performance yesterday. Even setting aside the two goals he was just a class above everyone on the pitch, including the reigning player of the year Mahrez. Mane, Lallana, Sturridge and Firmino combined so well, I'd seriously consider leaving Coutinho on the bench again next week. He wastes a lot of opportunities by trying to shoot from range, and our attack was lethal without him.

Henderson I thought was excellent too. Both the second and the fourth goals he playing what was really the decisive pass, and his defensive work was pretty impressive too. Hopefully this means he is getting back to his best, in my opinion he is very underappreciated, and at times you don't notice it until he's missing from the side

Firmino isn't getting enough love for his performance yesterday. Even setting aside the two goals he was just a class above everyone on the pitch, including the reigning player of the year Mahrez. Mane, Lallana, Sturridge and Firmino combined so well, I'd seriously consider leaving Coutinho on the bench again next week. He wastes a lot of opportunities by trying to shoot from range, and our attack was lethal without him.....

Keep having this conversation with others but I personally think Phil would be better dropped back as part the midfield three. Particularly with Can in there. He could work real well in space deeper. Don't think it would happen but that then gives more scope to play Sturridge along with Mane and Firmino. (Who I agree was excellent. I had him a close second to Mane for MOM but it was a coin flip.).

Not a popular opinion among L'pool fans but I'd have Firmino in the team every time above Coutinho. Phil's far too inconsistent over 90 minutes for the top bracket ability he possesses. With Bobby you get that ability on a consistent basis along with intelligent composure and workrate. And a much higher production out put the Phil banging in a Worldie every 30th attempt.

No Sakho even in the U-23's as Leicester get thumped 4-0 for the second time in two days with the young Welsh wing wizards Woodburn and Wilson again excellent.

Honestly don't understand why he decided to stay. Completely waisting a year of his career here.

scouse did you see any of the old firm game? rogers must be as happy as a pig in **** today ******

scouse did you see any of the old firm game? rogers must be as happy as a pig in **** today ******

I sadly did mate. Harsh reality for Rangers after 4 years away from the SPL.

Bet Glasgow was 'fun' yesterday afternoon/ evening.

Stood/ sat through 90 minutes and more yesterday, and 5 goals, and only just realised watching the highlights the white nets are back! WTF! Where'd the red ones go again? That's tradition!

This **** needs answering!

Stood/ sat through 90 minutes and more yesterday, and 5 goals, and only just realised watching the highlights the white nets are back! WTF! Where'd the red ones go again? That's tradition!

This **** needs answering!

The last time we played in red nets we only scored one goal. We got four yesterday. Keep the white nets XD

Keep having this conversation with others but I personally think Phil would be better dropped back as part the midfield three. Particularly with Can in there. He could work real well in space deeper. Don't think it would happen but that then gives more scope to play Sturridge along with Mane and Firmino. (Who I agree was excellent. I had him a close second to Mane for MOM but it was a coin flip.).

Not a popular opinion among L'pool fans but I'd have Firmino in the team every time above Coutinho. Phil's far too inconsistent over 90 minutes for the top bracket ability he possesses. With Bobby you get that ability on a consistent basis along with intelligent composure and workrate. And a much higher production out put the Phil banging in a Worldie every 30th attempt.

Yeah definitely agree with you on Firmino vs Coutinho. And he was excellent on the side of Rodgers' diamond back in 13/14. A midfield of Can/Henderson, Coutinho and Lallana could work. On paper it looks too attacking, but it seems to be working with Wijnaldum in there, and he is definitely more offence minded. A straight swap between him and Coutinho could be in order.

I think a pretty balanced lineup would see Can as the DM and Henderson moved forward to Wijnaldum's role, with Lallana continuing as he is. Takes the shackles off Henderson

Yeah definitely agree with you on Firmino vs Coutinho. And he was excellent on the side of Rodgers' diamond back in 13/14. A midfield of Can/Henderson, Coutinho and Lallana could work. On paper it looks too attacking, but it seems to be working with Wijnaldum in there, and he is definitely more offence minded. A straight swap between him and Coutinho could be in order.

I think a pretty balanced lineup would see Can as the DM and Henderson moved forward to Wijnaldum's role, with Lallana continuing as he is. Takes the shackles off Henderson

Hit the nail on the head there I think. Liverpool are at risk of becoming too attacking with all of these options, and against smaller sides that will sit back & absorb it, like Burnley did, they can be punished from it, especially if they're struggling to break the opposition down and constantly have too many committed forward. If I were picking the team, I'd like to have both Henderson & Can in the same 11, just to even it up a little bit. Or maybe Wijnaldum is as defensively capable & hard working as Henderson? I'm not overly sure, but what I've seen of him, he always wants to get involved at the main end.

Went back and watched the game again. He was a lot better than what I thought live which is good to see following on from Tottenham.

Still would switch Can straight in for him when he's fully healthy like, but credit where it's due. Woeful finishing aside, Henderson was indeed far better than merely 'bang average' Sta'day.

Went back and watched the game again. He was a lot better than what I thought live which is good to see following on from Tottenham.

Still would switch Can straight in for him when he's fully healthy like, but credit where it's due. Woeful finishing aside, Henderson was indeed far better than merely 'bang average' Sta'day.

What was with greeting the coach? Not sure we've ever done that before a premier league game before, but I like the idea.

Hopefully the tills don't go off 5 minutes before kick off.. again

Haha. That and no water the top level bogs down to 'the pressure struggling to get so high.'

First day teething pains. In the main everyone I've read who was in it seemed massively impressed. Loved the all new, all singing, all dancing Main Stand for most the game too. Which NEVER happens. Put lads in that have been waiting years for a season ticket, along with reduced tickets/ tickets sold only to locals and thats what you get. Funny that.

What was strange is watching the game back the TV and the new height the cameras. Players look a long way away from what we've been used to the last however number of years. But you now get a wide angled look at more or less the whole pitch so it's great in that respect to see patterns of play and player movements. The 15 or so minute spell when Leicester just couldn't get out of their own half/ gain substantial possession is a coaching clinic in itself from on high. Take some getting used to for folks watching the screen that but I like it.

Back