The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
How many times have you faced them after Pep took over and what were the results?

Never had the pleasure. The last time we met (prior to the Wembley hammering this past summer) on the way to Athens in '07 Rijkaard was the Barca manager. Pep played IIRC when we beat them the 2001 UEFA Cup semi. And maybe he played the groups a year or two later but that's it.

But we went through his head to head with Klopp didn't we the Utd thread which he leads by 1 win but it's incredibly tight with a trophy a-piece between them when they've met. All in Germany obviously.

All things being equal, with both guys ostensibly setting up and playing the same way this season, and both teams capable of comfortably winning a game in a 15/20 minute spell, the two games this year should be epics!

Got to wait until the very last day of the year for the first one like at Anfield.

When you've had one too many in the build up to the draw :P

deluded_fan2.PNG

(Don't worry, some of the comments under the United posts are even worse oO) )

He's kind of got a point in a way. Even if we were playing Barca at Anfield I'd be confident. I think that's what he's saying. Probably not.

YNWA

He's kind of got a point in a way. Even if we were playing Barca at Anfield I'd be confident. I think that's what he's saying. Probably not.

YNWA

The way this side is developing and flying, you wouldn't be nervous playing any side anywhere.

Klopp only knows one way and that's to go out and attack. Regardless of the opposition. And nobody is doing that better across Europe right now.

Amusing me reds being nervous about Hull. I get it down to all the previous PL season slip up's. But we've just comfortably handled Chelsea on their own park who 'park the bus' deeper than most anyone. And that's saying nottin' on how we've ripped teams to shreds for fun this year. Burnley is looking more and more a complete anomaly by the passing game as was noted at the time.

The way this side is developing and flying, you wouldn't be nervous playing any side anywhere.

Klopp only knows one way and that's to go out and attack. Regardless of the opposition. And nobody is doing that better across Europe right now.

Amusing me reds being nervous about Hull. I get it down to all the previous PL season slip up's. But we've just comfortably handled Chelsea on their own park who 'park the bus' deeper than most anyone. And that's saying nottin' on how we've ripped teams to shreds for fun this year. Burnley is looking more and more a complete anomaly by the passing game as was noted at the time.
not seen bvb in full flow then this season?

means **** all if there not being put away but pool v bvb would be 1 **** of a game

4 at Arsenal. 4 against the Champs Leicester. 2 at Chelsea. 8 over two League Cup games. What more do yer want? (H).

And it was one **** of a game. :).

preview.jpg

4 at Arsenal. 4 against the Champs Leicester. 2 at Chelsea. 8 over two League Cup games. What more do yer want? (H).

preview.jpg
that was a good game but this dortmund are something eles i am just saying stats mean fuckall win 4-3 or 1-0 still the same 3 points

preview.jpg
Good games but Liverpool have had too many freak games. No real analysis can be drawn thus far. For example, expected goals including penalties at the Emirates were 1.4 - 1.5. This clearly didn't warrant the scoreline of 3-4. Watching the goals again, all of the goals were low probability. Walcott's goal at 1:30 is a low probability shot which would be saved by a keeper most of the time. However, the finish is incredibly accurate. Same to be said about Coutinho's free kick at 2:35. Lallana's goal at 3:10 is another low probability one as he's dribbling away from goal at a tight angle. Cech's unnecessary rushing out gifts Lallana a goal. Coutinho's goal at 3:40 was the best chance created in the game. Clyne puts an excellent cross central and close to goal. Mane's goal at 3:35 is another freak goal from a low probability position though. An incredible finish. The 5:05 goal by Oxlade-Chamberlain wasn't a particularly good chance. Although the ball was deflected, the average keeper would save that the vast majority of the time. 5:35 was from a set piece and a very good glancing header by Calum Chambers although not a great chance.

There is nothing to be analysed from that game. It had unsustainably high levels of finishing and not too impressive goalkeeping. In reality, it was a 1-1 2-1, 1-2 or 2-2 game. XG values against Tottenham were approx 1-2 in favour of Liverpool and 1-1 against Chelsea (Henderson goal anomaly). If we had average outcomes in the big games, you would have drawn away at Arsenal, won at Tottenham and drawn at Chelsea. You did well and won 2/3. It's too early to properly analyse Liverpool vs big sides although it looks vaguely promising so far.

The best performance of the season from a Liverpool point of view was vs Leicester. It was 3.2-1.5 in favour of Liverpool. Liverpool have attacked quite well so far although have been far from solid at the back. The league games so far are a small sample. It's too early to see if Liverpool have been the real deal or not. Conte's Chelsea have been second best in the league behind City. Unlucky not to draw vs Liverpool and have defended/attacked arguably the best in the league so far in terms of chances created and conceded. United have been okayish (nothing special) and we worryingly played like a Europa league team until last weekend where our xG was the highest in the league (above City's). A lot of question marks in the premier league this season although I fancy City.

https://youtu.be/9aMbnD6itis

Last edited:
If only football was played out on your obsessive want of statistical analysis d.

It completely falls down on Chelsea alone.

But then if you want to base everything off what's expected, and achieved or not within that to project. that's perfectly fine and your prerogative.

Whatever floats your boat. I'll go off what I see with my own eyes and what actually happens.

Last edited:
Who actually comes up with these statistics? That's the biggest.load of garbage I have ever read.

Who actually comes up with these statistics? That's the biggest.load of garbage I have ever read.
some 1 makes them up so internet nerds look like thay know something only stat that matters is won lost drew win more that any 1 eles you win end of

some 1 makes them up so internet nerds look like thay know something only stat that matters is won lost drew win more that any 1 eles you win end of

As my mother in law says...
"It's all a load of *****... Just run up the other end and kick it in the goals" XD

If only football was played out on your obsessive want of statistical analysis d.

It completely falls down on Chelsea alone.

But then if you want to base everything off what's expected, and achieved or not within that to project. that's perfectly fine and your prerogative.

Whatever floats your boat. I'll go off what I see with my own eyes and what actually happens.

They aren't rubbish. They are based upon what's happened in the past. For example, Andros Townsend is an eye friendly player. Elite dribbler with a high shot volume until you see his shooting locations.

The point is analysing how well Liverpool will do this season. The point is that you can't base a season upon an unsustainable finishing streak. Teams always regress to the mean. The majority of statistical models can predict a league table with a high degree of accuracy. My point is that you can get away with winning a big game if a Jordan Henderson screamer if the overall method is good in the majority of games.

No team in the league barring City at a big stretch have been good enough to show that they will win the league, neither have they played enough games. Liverpool may have beaten Arsenal and Chelsea with a bit of luck but it doesn't matter as we're above you in the table albeit on goal difference.

They aren't rubbish. They are based upon what's happened in the past. For example, Andros Townsend is an eye friendly player. Elite dribbler with a high shot volume until you see his shooting locations.

The point is analysing how well Liverpool will do this season. The point is that you can't base a season upon an unsustainable finishing streak. Teams always regress to the mean. The majority of statistical models can predict a league table with a high degree of accuracy. My point is that you can get away with winning a big game if a Jordan Henderson screamer if the overall method is good in the majority of games.

No team in the league barring City at a big stretch have been good enough to show that they will win the league, neither have they played enough games. Liverpool may have beaten Arsenal and Chelsea with a bit of luck but it doesn't matter as we're above you in the table albeit on goal difference.

The problem with statistics is that they obviously don't take the game into account or the situation..

Whose to say if Henderson didn't score that wonder goal that Liverpool wouldn't continue to play in a similar way to before the goal? Goals change games completely and it's impossible to predict what would happen 'IF' these wonder strikes or offsides etc. didn't happen.

Liverpool took a 2-0 lead so took a step back and played a little different - that may not have happened without the goal going in

Also, Liverpool have had possibly the hardest start in the league so referring to Arsenal being ahead of them is pretty pointless at this stage

The problem with statistics is that they obviously don't take the game into account or the situation..

Whose to say if Henderson didn't score that wonder goal that Liverpool wouldn't continue to play in a similar way to before the goal? Goals change games completely and it's impossible to predict what would happen 'IF' these wonder strikes or offsides etc. didn't happen.

Liverpool took a 2-0 lead so took a step back and played a little different - that may not have happened without the goal going in

Also, Liverpool have had possibly the hardest start in the league so referring to Arsenal being ahead of them is pretty pointless at this stage
Models do take these into account. Opta have their own model and they explain it perfectly in this presentation. There's data on how teams react to scoring and conceding e.g. Arsenal shut down after going +2/3 goals. Of course the accuracy depends on the amount of variables considered by the model. My point is that definitive conclusions on Liverpool's likely season are way too early.

https://youtu.be/IvWT7iE1iUs

Conclusion: We must be doing something right for people to be continually trying to pick holes.

Conclusion: We must be doing something right for people to be continually trying to pick holes.
whos been making definitive conclusions all you have been saying is if you carry on the way you have started then you will be on for a good season internet kids and there buzz words

Back