The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
That is true - How we haven't won some of the last few games i have no idea... haha!

Im looking forward to Ibra against Matip, think it could be a good battle.. But similarly to your thinking, I'm not quite sure how you'll be able to cope with our attack if it's anything like it has been

Liverpool's attack has been relatively good this season although not quite as good as hyped up to be. Shot maps show that the Coutinho effect was in full flow against Burnley. Liverpool's attack was really good against Leicester and Hull. Yesterday's game against Hull was one of the best at taking performances in the league so far.

Defence doesn't convince me but hasn't been as bad as made out to be. Metrics show that 4 goals for and against Liverpool wouldn't have been scored at league average profligacy. Burnley was also a freak game in terms of goals conceded. Having a better keeper will help. There are also half a dozen teams better at the back though.

Liverpool are one of the hardest teams to play through in the league tactically. There are stats backing this up. I think Klopp has been trying to get the personnel to fit his counterpress. Sevilla adjusted to it in the Europa final and won it. Same with many games last season. It is a reason why Liverpool are hard to play against. I think more so than attack. Liverpool's attack under Klopp thus far but chance quality has been pretty meh (**** Coutinho) and it can look as if Liverpool attack better than they actually do. Thomas Tuchel's Dortmund side are far better chance creators than under Klopp. If Liverpool shoot from better positions or blitz it like at Hull, it would give United something to think about.

6'5 strong in the air brahimovic verses 6'5 strong in the air Matip. With finally a big 'keeper confident and competent coming off his line. I like that match-up in the air. I like it more on the ground with the arl arses lack of pace.

First game under the lights at the expanded Anfield with the (very strange) all singing, all dancing Main Stand adding to an atmosphere you couldn't cope with and had never experienced under the lights in Europe last time out.

Enjoy. (6).

But first up is Swansea next Sat'day dinner before we start to think about Utd. We've a ***** record down there since they moved grounds which needs to end.

I will enjoy, either way, rivalry aside should be a great game that we both need 3 points from to keep pace with City it seems! Although Arsenal are on a roll as well at the moment. This is the kind of league/season where you don't want to get left behind.

Back to Swansea, they played very well against City, some cracking football and in the end were just lacking quality in the final third that City had. Although Llorente did score a cracking goal and I do rate him.

Liverpool's attack has been relatively good this season although not quite as good as hyped up to be. Shot maps show that the Coutinho effect was in full flow against Burnley. Liverpool's attack was really good against Leicester and Hull. Yesterday's game against Hull was one of the best at taking performances in the league so far.

Defence doesn't convince me but hasn't been as bad as made out to be. Metrics show that 4 goals for and against Liverpool wouldn't have been scored at league average profligacy. Burnley was also a freak game in terms of goals conceded. Having a better keeper will help. There are also half a dozen teams better at the back though.

Liverpool are one of the hardest teams to play through in the league tactically. There are stats backing this up. I think Klopp has been trying to get the personnel to fit his counterpress. Sevilla adjusted to it in the Europa final and won it. Same with many games last season. It is a reason why Liverpool are hard to play against. I think more so than attack. Liverpool's attack under Klopp thus far but chance quality has been pretty meh (**** Coutinho) and it can look as if Liverpool attack better than they actually do. Thomas Tuchel's Dortmund side are far better chance creators than under Klopp. If Liverpool shoot from better positions or blitz it like at Hull, it would give United something to think about.

And yet since Klopp took over, NOBODY has scored more goals in total or in the PL than his L'pool side.

Just think how much more frightening that would be if they aligned with the statistical expectation!

And yet since Klopp took over, NOBODY has scored more goals in total or in the PL than his L'pool side.

Just think how much more frightening that would be if they aligned with the statistical expectation!

Just to remind you, last season Klopp's side had many freak goals and shootouts. Alot of generally high scoring games. Alot of these games are anomalies. Then you have Arsenal and City attacking like Europa league teams. Our attack was directed after the injuries and City's was plain embarrassing as xg rarely went over 1 in the last games of the season.

Arsenal and City's numbers are now back to normal especially as we made a shaky start. I was worried a few weeks ago because we scored 50% of our shots on target. You can't expect to sustain that the or a whole season unless you have an attack full of Messi's.

Fair play for beating Chelsea but the game was a good example. You can't expect to win from a 35 yard screamer through the a season. It doesn't matter if the fundamemtal method is good enough. You are a high shot volume okay chance quality team. Unless you create like you did at Hull, the goals will cool down and so will goals conceded. We know that Liverpool are full of good finishers but to progress from a very good to an elite attack, some players need to shoot less.

Can I just add what I forgot to last night BTW and credit everyone, Hull fans included, for a rousing minutes applause in memory/ honour of Gerry McIver who recently sadly passed after battling illness. A TRUE Liverpool hero who volunteered tirelessly for the HJC and was a rock for family members and survivors alike. Don't think I've ever been in the campaign shop without seeing his face the other side the counter.

Perfect tribute to have all 4 sides the ground remembering him yesterday 27 minutes in. (Signifying the 27 year campaign for justice that he's selflessly contributed massively to.).

That topped anything that happened on the actual field of play yesterday.

It's to the detriment of both LFC and the HFSG that they never marked his passing officially.

Last edited:
A fair bit of talk in Germany and a couple of English press that Bayern will go all out for Klopp when Carlo leaves in a year or 2.

A fair bit of talk in Germany and a couple of English press that Bayern will go all out for Klopp when Carlo leaves in a year or 2.

I'd lay everything I own in the World that if Klopp was out of a job and Munich told him to write his own price and anything else he wanted he'd say 'thanks but no thanks.'

After being ensconced in Dortmund, and being a man of loyalty, there's NO way he'd EVER go to Bayern. ****, he's taken a few pot shots at them in interviews here which have come completely out of the blue.

Besides which he's committed to Liverpool for the next 6 years at least so it's a ridiculous none-story. The only way that ends is if L'pool break ties and that's not happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
They can have him. I just want us to get Tuchel when Wenger leaves. All clubs have plans for when the manager leaves.

I'd lay everything I own in the World that if Klopp was out of a job and Munich told him to write his own price and anything else he wanted he'd say 'thanks but no thanks.'

After being ensconced in Dortmund, and being a man of loyalty, there's NO way he'd EVER go to Bayern. ****, he's taken a few pot shots at them in interviews here which have come completely out of the blue.

Besides which he's committed to Liverpool for the next 6 years at least so it's a ridiculous none-story. The only way that ends is if L'pool break ties and that's not happening anytime soon.
Never say NEVER in football!

Never say NEVER in football!

On Klopp and Munich I would. He frigging hates them as most everyone in Dortmund does. And with even more reason after they repeatedly raped his side of it's top talents because they could.

But regardless, he's going nowhere for at least 6 years so it's a complete waste of print. This isn't Guardiola or Mourinho. He's out of the Wenger school. He's in it for the long term project to build a club from top to bottom and leave it in far better shape when he leaves than when he arrived. He loves the club and the City and committed to another 6 years for a reason.

7 years at Mainz. 7 years at Dortmund. At least 7 years at Liverpool. Fiercely loyal to where he commits and feels at home.

Poor journalism trying to create a story that isn't there.

Last edited:
On Klopp and Munich I would. He frigging hates them as most everyone in Dortmund does. And with even more reason after they repeatedly raped his side of it's top talents because they could.

But regardless, he's going nowhere for at least 6 years so it's a complete waste of print. This isn't Guardiola or Mourinho. He's out of the Wenger school. He's in it for the long term project to build a club from top to bottom and leave it in far better shape when he leaves than when he arrived. He loves the club and the City and committed to another 6 years for a reason.

7 years at Mainz. 7 years at Dortmund. At least 7 years at Liverpool. Fiercely loyal to where he commits and feels at home.

Poor journalism trying to create a story that isn't there.
I think that he would relish the challenge at Liverpool and attempt to gain a bit of longevity.

I would agree with Scouse if it was t for it being Bayern and they seem to have the power to convince any German to join them. Still don't think it is likely but with Bayern involved it could happen

I'd be more praying De Gea turns superman again to bail out your porous backline if I where you.

At least we know De Gea can play Super man, would you bet your bottom quid on Karius to have a stormer & protect your porous backline? :P Because I certainly wouldn't be relying on Mignolet ;)

I can't wait for the 17th, I'd gladly skip these 22 days of my life. I don't want nicey nicey, "it should be a great game pal" etc - it's war until and during the 17th!! haha

Back