The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
You forgotten the last two meetings already?

You only won at home in the Europa League against us and despite what you seem to think it isn't the biggest stage. Premier League is a bigger stage than Europa League and probably always will be. If it's Champions League it is bigger than Premier League but not Europa League.

You only won at home in the Europa League against us and despite what you seem to think it isn't the biggest stage. Premier League is a bigger stage than Europa League and probably always will be. If it's Champions League it is bigger than Premier League but not Europa League.

Funny how you say that when you got taken out the behind the woodshed and suffered a VERY public humiliation in from of the whole of Europe. Somethings tells me it would be a different story had the result been the other way.

Bit like when a treble isn't a 'proper' treble. (Despite when you've done that twice.). Or a European Cup isn't a Champions League as it was apparently easier to win back in the day. (Despite it being straight knockout football from the get go, Champions against Champions. As opposed to being able to lose half your group games and still progress today.). Or a league title isn't a league title unless it's a Premier League title. (Despite it being the exact same competition however you dress it up.).

Manc logic really has to be seen to be believed.

Last edited:
Funny how you say that when you got taken out the behind the woodshed and suffered a VERY public humiliation in from of the whole of Europe. Somethings tells me it would be a different story had the result been the other way.

It's not a humiliation when it's a narrow defeat over two legs to a rival in a smaller European competition both shouldn't be in. The humiliation is more being in the actual competition than anything else.

We can argue this all day lets be honest, but in my opinion Premier League is bigger than Europa League and it's not even debatable really.

We have had the talk about Ibrahimovic's record against Liverpool standing at 4 games played, 0 goals scored right?

Almost as stellar as Jose's verses Klopp .....

Lionel Messi has 0 goals in 8 games against Chelsea, would you bet against him scoring if they played tomorrow afternoon?

Lionel Messi has 0 goals in 8 games against Chelsea, would you bet against him scoring if they played tomorrow afternoon?

Funny you should mention Messi. He's never got a kick against L'pool either but he's not the issue at hand .....:D.

It's not a humiliation when it's a narrow defeat over two legs to a rival in a smaller European competition both shouldn't be in. The humiliation is more being in the actual competition than anything else.

We can argue this all day lets be honest, but in my opinion Premier League is bigger than Europa League and it's not even debatable really.

Aside from your compete retelling of that tie, we weren't discussing the merits of the respective competitions. You'd get no argument from me that the PL is a more prestigious competition to win. It's your domestic league.

The conflicting issue is how you rate one off league games over a two legged European quarter final.

Each to their own but IMHO there's never been two bigger games between L'pool and Utd outside of the finals as there's no bigger stage than Europe. FA Cup semi's included. League games as singular occasions just don't compare.

Henderson has been better than Pogba tbf. He's in great form.

I've never rated Henderson, never really understood what he brings as a player either. But... I confess to not watching too much of Liverpool so far this season. Pogba has had his ups and downs but you'd expect more than he has produced thus far. But Rome wasn't built in a day.

Henderson has been better than Pogba tbf. He's in great form.

I keep reading different things from both L'pool fans and ill-informed journalists that with Wijnaldum being out, Can will come in starting deeper with Henderson pushed on. Which is just bizarre to me given not only the way Henderson's been playing in the 6 (Fernandinho at City is the only DM that grades out higher thus far stat wise this season. And neither Fernandinho nor Jordan are traditional DM's who completely fit the non-traditional DM role that Klopp and Guardiola like which makes those stats even more interesting for me); but because Can came with a growing reputation as a box-to-box midfielder who's just added to that his time here.

The thing that really started to have me appreciating Henderson this year, along with his massive upgrade in form sans Burnley, was this brilliant Melissa Reddy article on him and just how he was both earmarked for the gig by the coaching staff and how hard he's worked from all aspects to fulfil that. I don't think he was too sure to start out with, but the more he's gained confidence from Klopp believing in him in that role, the better he's become.

How Jordan Henderson evolved into Jurgen Klopp’s ideal No 6 for Liverpool - Goal.com

Last edited:

So you feel humiliated that your in the Europa again this year? I have a feeling that you must get used to it....
United havnt really impressed me much this year at all and I just dont see Jose sticking around for more than 2-3 years and looking for another challenge (Its synonymous with his career thus far, spend a few years here and there before moving on). I fear for United as they are in a similar position to us when King Kenny left in 1991. It would be a shame to see United fall away from the pack in the next few years as the special nature of our rivalry could be lost.

Any way back to the point. Im going for a 3-1 win for us.

"United havnt really impressed me much this year at all..."

Just out of curiousity, have you seen United play in the league over the past few games since dropping Fellaini, putting Mata in the #10 role instead of Rooney (giving Pogba the license) and playing an actual winger on the right hand side?

We tore the champions a new arsehole, and could've beaten Stoke by a cricket score.

Edit; apologies to everyone who doesn't want to see a post like this on the Pool thread.

..... I fear for United as they are in a similar position to us when King Kenny left in 1991. It would be a shame to see United fall away from the pack in the next few years as the special nature of our rivalry could be lost.

Any way back to the point. Im going for a 3-1 win for us.

One of the first things I wrote on here when I joined a year and half or so back was a big piece the Utd thread on exactly that and the eerily uncanny similarities between them post Ferguson and ourselves the start of the Premier League era. Not least in the fans just dismissing it and thinking 'We're L'pool/ Utd. This won't last. We'll soon be back on top.' The longer it goes on, and the more desperate you get throwing money at the problem, the further away it becomes. A few appreciated the points like robbo, but in the main it was laughed out of hand. I still tend to side with you. And if anyone knows this scenario, it's ourselves who have recently lived through it. (And still are.).

For the first time the European tie last year felt like a real changing of the guard with the pendulum swinging back the other end of the East Lancs. Like one club was going one way and the other the opposite as we passed each other on the stairs yer know?

Nice sig BTW. I like that haha. Cautiously optimistic we'll lick Utd 3 too Monday.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, have you seen United play in the league over the past few games since dropping Fellaini, putting Mata in the #10 role instead of Rooney (giving Pogba the license) and playing an actual winger on the right hand side?

We tore the champions a new arsehole, and could've beaten Stoke by a cricket score.

Edit; apologies to everyone who doesn't want to see a post like this on the Pool thread.

Perceptions. I continue to disagree with you on both those games (you had me watching the Leicester game after your write up and that was the furthest thing from a 4-1 doing however it ended up to my eyes) but it is what it is.

Good luck Monday. Hope you're prepared to run.

*Edit* No problem personally with you or anyone else for that matter talking Utd in here FWIW. I know it's a L'pool thread strictly speaking but it's a general message board to my mind so fire away when the mood takes. All discussion and different opinion is welcome. (Provided folk aren't being a ***** like.).

Last edited:
The bigger question if that happens would be who he lashes out at and blames next.

Can't be the ref. as he's a Mancunian. We should start a book! :P.

To be fair it's not going to have any bearings on the game... he's not even a United fan, and generally nowadays that means you're a United hater. He'll be perfectly neutral for the job in hand, if anything, in 50/50 decisions he may even feel under pressure sway towards the home side because of the overreactions by everyone (Although I hope not, big games like this need brave/bold referees).

Back