The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Scous how Klavan was?
I didint watch the game, as Leeds came back two times from falling behind, second time with 10 man and then winning the shootout.

First off, congratulations on reaching the quarters. Exciting times huh waiting for tonights draw?

Ragnar the Red was sound. Nothing special. Just the dependable, experienced, cool head we've come to expect. Just no fuss fine. Which is all you need out of a centre half. He's been an excellent pick-up for the pittance of £ 4.2 million.

Our defence as a whole has been massively improved this year. Other fans on these here boards seem to be believing the media bullshit over the lack of clean sheets and the crazed analysis of the set piece defending every time we concede. But overall we've been excellent defensively. It'll probably come as a major surprise to people, but in the Premier League this term, L'pool's defence has limited the opposition to less shots at their goal per game than any other team in the league. An average of 8 per game over the season. No goals conceded from open play in the last 6 games just adds to that. From open play we're defending superbly.

Everyone, wrongly and naively, just thinks as Klopp as an all out attack, 'heavy metal' football manager. Completely forgetting that he spent a large chunk of his playing career at centre half as us such has as good an appreciation and understanding for that end of the pitch as he does the attacking end. The first thing he did at Dortmund was have a massive turnaround in their defence. (They went from conceding 62 goals the previous season as runners-up to 38 his first year.). Just like he did at Mainz. And just like he repeatedly said when he came to L'pool that all good sides are built from the back and that defensive base. We've conceded 12 goals now in 12 games this season. A quarter of which came in the opening game at Arsenal. With no side scoring more than one against us the last 10 games and counting. And that's been done with out the first choice back four and goalkeeper for all but three of those games.

L'pool have conceded only 2 more goals through the first quarter of the league season than Arsenal, Chelsea and City. And 1 less than Utd. Tottenham have only conceded 4. Yet all have been from set plays. But funnily enough the media aren't micro-analysing their problems defending them. Yet even given the more than favourable comparisons this 'myth' that our defence is poor and will ultimately cost us keeps being perpetuated by the media and believed and repeated by opposition fans as the latest stick to beat a L'pool side everyone is getting more and more fearful of by the passing game.

Special props to Alberto Moreno last night who was superb. When he's not in the side, you forget the lightening pace and attacking threat he brings which is almost unmatched throughout the PL in that skill set regard at the position. Last night, the same as his last outing at Derby, he was very smart in both possession and positionaly in knowing when to go and when not. Yeah, he got caught out a couple of times and everyone was groaning as it was Alby Moreno with his past history. But that's going to happen regardless with the chances we take going forward and the last two games he's played he's looked markedly better at that. He was also timing his challenges much better and not blindly diving in as before whilst still making some superb, hard tackles. He's looked like a proper, modern, all round full back his last two outings which is an unbelievable thing to say on him after the first two years.

It's been very noticeable Klopp has gone to of his way twice now to make a point of how fantastic Moreno has been in training and how hard he's working.

Maybe, just maybe, this time out of the limelight sat learning watching Milner and working hard to what's asked from the coaches in training will leave us with the long term LB solution already on our books.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Only just caught the highlights, sounded like a great game.

Home tie for the quarters please. I'll probably go that one.

Very pleased with Alexander-Arnold last night, what a debut!

Thanks Scouse for yet another Liverpool game under my belt! Getting used to this now. :D

Seems a long way back from when we used to get knocked out of the cups in the early rounds now. Hopefully another home tie and at this moment of time I don't care who its against, I think we can beat anyone. Was quite nice to hear the guy who was complaining at how bad Sturridge is behind me to stop talking so much too.

Just needs to be more consistent now.

Believing anything is possible more and more under Jurgen, just want it to be Saturday afternoon now so I can watch the next game!

..... Was quite nice to hear the guy who was complaining at how bad Sturridge is behind me to stop talking so much too. .....

Had similar with a lad behind us. It's getting to the point where for some, he'll never be able to do right and will always be a lazy **** who is only interested in himself as the narrative goes.

I honestly don't know what more the fella' can do than what he did last night. As much as I love Danny Ings and was absolutely made up to see him back playing at Anfield, it was narking the living **** out of me how his name was getting sung louder and more often than the match winner who scored two, could well of had 4 or 5 but for Vorm, and worked his backside off for the team.

Reminded me of the days we had Collymore and his name would also be sung before Fowler's when it'd be Fowler who had scored!

I seriously don't get the Sturridge hate. There's a lot you could get frustrated at Daniel Sturridge for at times. But being lazy and not caring is the very last of them.

Last edited:
Ok, any draw other than a f-ing trek down Southampton or London midweek or the added hassle of getting in and out of Utd in one piece please.

Interesting draw.. I can see Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle and Southampton progressing from that. Would be unlucky though if that was the case and we drew Man Utd in the semi. No disrespect to Leeds but I find it hard that they would cope with Liverpool especially if Origi + Sturridge partnership continues in the cup.

Interesting draw.. I can see Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle and Southampton progressing from that. Would be unlucky though if that was the case and we drew Man Utd in the semi. No disrespect to Leeds but I find it hard that they would cope with Liverpool especially if Origi + Sturridge partnership continues in the cup.

Newcastle and Rafa would make for a perfect final.

It all depends on if Reine-Adelaide, Mailand Niles, Carl Jenkinson and the like start or if better players like Ramsey, Xhaka, Giroud and Debuchy start. Liverpool should go through, United will be desperate for a trophy and play a strong team and Hull severely lack quality but don't write them off.

Last time we played Leeds was the third round the league cup back in 2009. Some of our young knobs created before, they came looking after, all **** broke lose. Leeds got leathered all over, but that's another story. Anyway, get on the ***** Rafa put out that night:

Starting lineup

[TABLE="class: list, width: 349"]
[TR]
[TD="class: shirt"]1[/TD]
[TD="class: image"][/TD]
[TD]Diego Cavalieri[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: alt"]
[TD="class: shirt, bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]12[/TD]
[TD="class: image, bgcolor: #F1F1F1"][/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Fábio Aurélio[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: shirt"]16[/TD]
[TD]Sotirios Kyrgiakos[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: shirt, bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]23[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Jamie Carragher (c)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: shirt"]27[/TD]
[TD]Philipp Degen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: shirt, bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]38[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Andrea Dossena[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: shirt"]11[/TD]
[TD]Albert Riera[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: shirt, bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]19[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Ryan Babel[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: shirt"]20[/TD]
[TD]Javier Mascherano[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: shirt, bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]26[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Jay Spearing[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: shirt"]24[/TD]
[TD]David N'Gog[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[video=youtube;qQfVa-g9Ugc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQfVa-g9Ugc[/video]

Horrible year Rafa's last season. And then we got ******* Hodgson! *Shudders.

Those times being bored shitless watching utter ***** seem a million years ago compared to watching Klopp's current version.

Back