The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
That's bound to be a pretty poor side throughout though mate, that's like a third of your budget XD
Pogba, Sterling, Kante behind. Bellerin, Bertrand, Vertonghen, Daniels, Heaton back 5. Wanyama, Butland, Romeu, Mee on the bench.

Kent looks really good! First time ive really seen him play.

Sexy finish, and just put himself out until Xmas. Keep being you SturridgeXD

We'll see what the prognosis of tonights pull is.

So frustrating because when he's healtny, there's no better forward the league not called Augero. Kanes great, but he can't do what Sturridge can do. Even if you're managing him to say 25/30 games a year, a fit Daniel Sturridge over that spell will still bag you upwards of 20 goals or more. And bring a heck of a lot more players into the game than Kane ever does.

Frustrating as all heck his body makeup but that talent man .....

Sir Alex did love to attack and excite, but he definitely didn't overlook the defensive side either. Still have that 14 straight clean sheet record in 08/09

Yeah agreed. Ferguson and Mourinho aren't that far apart. Jose has demanded more goals. Let's not rewrite the fact that Ferguson could be as boring as sin when needed. How else did we end up constantly mugging Arsenal. By being absolute shithouses

United aren't any more defensive than usual over the last 4 years, they have somewhat forgotten how to score. That's something Jose wants to change by pushing the whole aide up using Matic as the lynchpin

Last edited:
The last few years of Ferguson's Utd reign when he did go more conservative maybe but that's a ..... strange statement to make on the majority of his career. They've been the complete an antipathy of each other for much of that time.

The last few years of Ferguson's Utd reign when he did go more conservative maybe but that's a ..... strange statement to make on the majority of his career. They've been the complete an antipathy of each other for much of that time.

Nope. Watch Ferguson away from home, especially against tough teams. We a complete counter side. United best period 2006-2009, we were arguably the best counter attack sides in Europe

Yup. If you're looking at the two's overall managerial philosophies and career. Saying Ferguson and Mourinho are not that far apart is .... strange.

One had an all out attack mentality for the majority of his time. The other a cautious pragmatist.

No question Ferguson's Utd could be gnarly, horrible twats when he wanted. Happened for over a decade at Anfield. But the vast majority of his games he was the complete opposite of that. Being as neutral as you ever could be looking at Utd, I used to love how he'd have no fear of throwing 4 forwards on. Or how you always added pace and goals the summer even if it wasn't needed. Because you can never have too many attacking options. He was balls out there like that which leads to some fantastic entertainment.

Not knocking Mourinho's outlook as it works for him and he's got the silverware to back it up.

But those two in the main have wholly different approaches to footie games.

Mourinho outscored mourinho in one season in England and they scored the same number the season after, and his Real Madrid side still holds the record for most goals in la liga

I love how that's always used as some sort of defence of Mourinho's sides like they haven't been, in the main, dour as all **** but efficient.

He had a brilliantly open side to watch that first year at Chelsea. And then, for some reason, started going the other way. Yeah, they could hammer teams they flat tracked bullied on and get the goals total up. But they weren't that attractive sides to watch overall. Madrid you just can't be any other than all out attack. It's what they demand. It's what you have to be. Or else you don't survive. Rafa, one of their own, suffered through not adapting to the Madrid way.

Last edited:
From 2001 onwards, Ferguson was a pragmatist.

From 2006 onwards he was an arch pragmatist. Whether it was 4 forwards or 7 defenders, he played what was needed to win. He wasn't much different to Jose first stint at Chelsea and Jose at Madrid.

It wasn't just Liverpool, actually it was much more about Arsenal than anyone, but against the top 4, he was quite happy to be on the counter.

Fingers crossed:

Melissa Reddy
@MelissaReddy_

Daniel Sturridge in very good spirits walking through the mixed zone. Said "nah, it's nothing serious" when I asked about his injury.#LFC

10:08 pm · 1 Aug 2017

Anfield HQVerified account @AnfieldHQ 19mMore

Sturridge: "There’s a little bit of tension. We’ve had a lot of training.I think it’s just fatigue to be honest. I’ll be okay."

“I’m feeling great. I put in the work this summer. I’m not missing many sessions. I’m feeling the best I’ve felt for a while.”

10 replies .110 retweets315 likes

I love how that's always used as some sort of defence of Mourinho's sides like they haven't been, in the main, dour as all **** but efficient.

He had a brilliantly open side to watch that first year at Chelsea. And then, for some reason, started going the other way. Yeah, they could hammer teams they flat tracked bullied on and get the goals total up. But they weren't that attractive sides to watch overall. Madrid you just can't be any other than all out attack. It's what they demand. It's what you have to be. Or else you don't survive. Rafa, one of their own, suffered through not adapting to the Madrid way.

They were second top scorers in 2004-2005, joint top scorers in 2005-2006, even in his third season they were 2nd top scorers

Inter were joint top scorers in his first season, top scorers in his second

Madrid were top scorers in his first, top scorers in his second, second top scorers in his third.

And they weren't attacking, attractive sides to watch in the main outside of one or two of them. Anyone claiming they were is very easily satisfied and has a pretty skewed view of that.

Just like his current Utd side isn't. It might change now he's got his controlling, holding player he trusts. But to press that's all conjecture until it's actually seen in evidence on the park.

If you seriously want to get back to contending, I hope for your sake he does open it more up. Or you'll get left behind.

Back