The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Agreed. Don't know if there's a genuine interest but I'd be all over that if there was given what Klopp can do for top young talent. I was real surprised at the reticence, to be kind, the Utd thread when he was linked a few weeks back.

The lads 18, moving to a completely new Country and culture and trying to break into a Munich side jam packed with top tier talent. Yet people are prepared to write him off on the back of a down first year. Completely ignoring all the massive hype in the same thread from the same people the previous summer off the back of his brilliant Euros when he was heavily linked again to Utd.

Don't get that logic at all. A year loan with a potential low first option written in for such potential ..... Where the heck is the downside to that?

There wasn't any reticence. A loan to buy is a better option than 20m for a loan only for one year

Yeah, Lukaku who Lucas of all players didn't give a kick to and won every header against last year.

That's his perennial problem lid. Disappears every big game. Watching the Chelsea highlights there, and this is purely a personal opinion, I'm SO glad you couldn't get the Spaniard and ended up with Lukaku. Moratta would of given Utd a whole new dimension that wouldn't be good.

Hopefully, van Dijk will be here and up to speed by then.
Lukaku has scored 5 in 7 starts and four appearances off the bench vs Liverpool so he has a perfectly decent record

Can't wait for October 14.

If you're going to play as high as you have been, you're liable to get ripped to shreds at Anfield.

If you sit in your own area and go to spoil the game like last year, well, we have more speed and more options to open that up.

There's two teams playing and Liverpool have their own weakness; susceptible to pace at the back, poor at set pieces, and two keepers who are neither commanding or particularly good at saving long shots. 3 areas United are currently strong in

Lukaku has scored 5 in 11 vs Liverpool so he has a perfectly decent record

Was going to quote that very same stat. If anyone thinks thats disappearing, I can't take their opinions seriously.

A 1 in 2 record against any side is always good, let alone top 6 teams

Lukaku has scored 5 in 7 starts and four appearances off the bench vs Liverpool so he has a perfectly decent record

Two in one game. And his record against the top 6 over 30 plus games?

I'll save you the trouble. It's around 1 in 6.

Two in one game. And his record against the top 6 over 30 plus games?

I'll save you the trouble. It's around 1 in 6.
Playing for West Brom and Everton goals will be hard to come by against the top six as they will see very little of the ball and be penned back for most of the game

There wasn't any reticence. A loan to buy is a better option than 20m for a loan only for one year

There wasn't? Did you read the reactions from certain regular posters totally against the move? There was ironically only Zz all for it and championing him. (Present company excepted.).

I was being kind wording it like that. Just baffled me as I see no downside at all. Even if he's not playing a massive amount, you're getting to work with him up close every day and see for yourself if he's got what you require.

1 in 6 playing for sides who don't go forwards. Again still a solid record

There wasn't? Did you read the reactions from certain regular posters totally against the move? There was ironically only Zz all for it and championing him. (Present company excepted.).

I was being kind wording it like that. Just baffled me as I see no downside at all. Even if he's not playing a massive amount, you're getting to work with him up close every day and see for yourself if he's got what you require.

The fee was ridiculous for a year loan with no chance to sign him

Playing for West Brom and Everton goals will be hard to come by against the top six as they will see very little of the ball and be penned back for most of the game

That's a lame defence when it comes over so many games. Rh just tried throwing it up. To date, he's disappeared the big games. It just is what it is and one of the legit major knocks on him for all his talent.

But the last thing we need to do is get into a round of the worth of Lukaku. Particularly when it's this frigging muggy and I can't begin to hope to sleep.

Which is why it speaks volumes about how good his goal record his overall

That's a lame defence when it comes over so many games. Rh just tried throwing it up. To date, he's disappeared the big games. It just is what it is and one of the legit major knocks on him for all his talent.

But the last thing we need to do is get into a round of the worth of Lukaku. Particularly when it's this frigging muggy and I can't begin to hope to sleep.

It's only a lame defence if you honestly can't tell the difference between playing for a midtable side on the counter and side packed with title challenging quality who will play front foot more often.

And he still has 5 in 11 against Liverpool.

Or are you not a big game?

Thought I'd just check out his stats after Ninja's post, interesting, expected a lot of 1 in 8's or whatever against teams, the way the stereotype is thrown around...

He scored 4 goals in 5 home games against Liverpool.

He scored 3 goals in 5 home games against Manchester United.

He scored 2 goals in 5 home games against Manchester City.

It's the away games, when Everton either park the bus or get blew off the park, and don't offer him any support, is where he lacks goals against the big sides. It's not really a 'defence', just some perspective

Thought I'd just check out his stats after Ninja's post, interesting, expect a lot of 1 in 8's or whatever against teams, the way the stereotype is thrown around...

He scored 4 goals in 5 home games against Liverpool.

He scored 3 goals in 5 home games against Manchester United.

He scored 2 goals in 5 home games against Manchester City.

It's the away games, when Everton either shut up shop or get blew off the park, and don't offer him any support, is where he lacks goals against the big sides. It's not really a 'defence', just some perspective

Don't Everton have a poor away record against the top 6 going back some way?

Yeah, it is. Completely lame. It's a legit knock as he completely disappears the big games. Not down to the way they play. They way he can't be arsed. (Which is the other, again, completely legit knock on someone who has everything.). Or are all Evertonians frigging idiots who don't know what they're watching? (That's part rhetorical as most are but they do know their football.).

That's the last I'm answering on this as it's just gonna' go around and around. Agree to disagree and move on.

Everton_Top_Six.JPG

Found it

That is a shocking lack of away goals vs the top teams from everyone away from home

I like the current league table.
I've said it on here many times before.
The two teams I want to see battle it out are United and Liverpool.

It's an Irish thing.
There are strong Irish links to both teams (if you don't know, educate yourself).
So nobody over here cares if City of Chelsea win the league... We only care if it's United or Liverpool.

Never fails to amaze me that. You'd think Celtic would garner the bulk of the support over there. Not so much Rangers as theirs lies more in the North. But that couldn't be further from the truth. L'pool and Utd just dominate. Even more surprising when we played Celtic the Aviva pre-season a few years back and the ground was nearly all red. Same when we've had friendlies against say Linfield in Belfast. Staunch Loyalists. Big Rangers area. But Windsors heaving with Reds. Even just walking around Belfast on an average afternoon, like Dublin, you see as many L'pool/ Utd shirts as Celtic/ Rangers which just blows me away.

I wish we'd still do Ireland every few years on tour. The same with Scandinavia. Used to be great that. Reward the phenomenal support there who spend ridiculous amounts coming over multiple times every year. Sadly, the way the game has gone, some Asian Country or the US who are gonna' guarantee you 7 figures for a friendly you now make that trip.

Can't wait for October 14.

If you're going to play as high as you have been, you're liable to get ripped to shreds at Anfield.

If you sit in your own area and go to spoil the game like last year, well, we have more speed and more options to open that up.

You see lad, even you can admit that Mourinho won't be as foolish as Wenger is with his tactical naivety.

Should be an interesting game, although I do think Mourinho will resort to a sit deep and counter job. Which in truth is probably the way to go against you. We have more of an counter-attacking threat this season so should be fun to see how it goes.

Back