The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Ergh. The number of times the wrong decisions were made in the final third got me pulling out my hair. Don't even get me started on the goal Burnley scored. Zero communication between Matip and Klavan.

Don't let Scouse see that :P

Yeah, not blaming the defence when for the second time in a week the lack of goals don't match the play the other end.

Both had a good game bar the goal. There's only Can I'd criticise. For the third straight game he was utter *****. So frustrating that lad. One game he's World class and untouchable. The next few he completely disappears.

*Edit* In fact, looking at the goal again just now, Can leaves Arfield to run straight through from midfield. As much as Klaven makes his only wrong decision the match.

Last edited:
Yeah, not blaming the defense when for the second time in a week when the goals don't match the play the other end.

Both had a good game bar the goal. There's only Can I'd criticise. For the third straight game, he was utter *****. So frustrating that lad. One game he's World class and untouchable. The next few he completely disappears.

*Edit*, In fact, looking at the goal again just now, Can leave Arfield to run straight through from midfield. As much as Klaven makes his only wrong decision the match.
Don't think you can say both had a good game. The one time Burnley get to the second ball and it results in a goal, they were hardly troubled defensively at all. Even the corner Ben Mee nearly scored from was the result of a lack of communication. Feel this was the type of game where you need your defense to be on the game, as the forward line and midfield were struggling with the final ball all game. This is were Van Dijk's aerial presence would help as Matip for a big guy gets bullied far too easily.

Didn't see all of the game, switched it on when City were out of site, but looking at everything, Liverpool should've won, but didn't. A defensive lapse see's the opposition score with a rare attack...

Deja vu.

As mad as it sounds, they even had a few chances to nick all 3 points in the latter stages from corners. Nice deep deliveries from Brady.

Right d but we can't continue to lay the blame on the CH's for one mistake/ goal costing the game when a slew of chances go begging the other end.

That's twice in a week both games should have been completely out of sight before the Sevilla equaliser and the two quick corners on 82 from Burnely.

We win as a team. We draw/ lose as a team. Everyone takes their share of the blame in today's frustration.

Didn't see all of the game, switched it on when City were out of site, but looking at everything, Liverpool should've won, but didn't. A defensive lapse see's the opposition score with a rare attack...

Deja vu.

As mad as it sounds, they even had a few chances to nick all 3 points it at the latter stages from corners. Nice deep deliveries from Brady.
Felt like deja vu defensively but attacking-wise we were all over Burnley. Created enough chances to score, so at least we know we can break down compact defenses.

Was extremely disappointed with Daniel today. Most of the time the attack broke down when he got the ball. Shooting instead of passing and holding on to it for too long allowing Burnley to get back into shape. Felt he was trying too hard to score and prove a point. The team comes first Daniel.

Edit: Same could be said for Coutinho who was trying to aim for the sky with his long shots.

Last edited:
Was extremely disappointed with Daniel today. Most of the time the attack broke down when he got the ball. Shooting instead of passing and holding on to it for too long allowing Burnley to get back into shape. Felt he was trying too hard to score and prove a point. The team comes first Daniel.

Thought the same of Phil. As well as he played, there was one too many take-on's and one too many long-ranger wide or shot in the box blocked when he could have laid it off. He looked desperate to appease and make amends for being a complete ***** and ended up overdoing it.

Utterly frustrating for the second time this week.

And for the second time this week, you know exactly how it'll get framed by the mediots. 'L'pool's Achilles Heal costs them dear again' and the like. But that's expecting them to be perfect if one lapse is going to cost a game you've just had 35 shots, with 9 saved and another 12 on target blocked. That's terrible profligacy in anyone's language Not to mention the other poor decisions the final third that just lacked quality.

Props to Dyche. That's three excellent away results. To get that from that squad deserves praise.

Last edited:
Felt like deja vu defensively but attacking-wise we were all over Burnley. Created enough chances to score, so at least we know we can break down compact defenses.

I don't doubt Liverpool's ability to create chances, that's their bread and butter. What I have reservations about is their ability to handle these type of games like champions; when teams are here to sit deep and be a punching bag, to ride their luck, and try to sucker-punch you, can you honestly be confident in your backline being switched on for 90 mins?

When you play the big sides, you actually do look decent defensively. You were very good at Old Trafford last season, and in most big games I've seen you lot play recently you have defended as well as attacked with 11 men, but you can't honestly tell me there's not a pattern in slipping up & conceding silly costly goals in these type of games, irregardless of what chances are missed at the other end.

Edit: Same could be said for Coutinho who was trying to aim for the sky with his long shots.

On the other hand, I thought Dom did great with his short time on the pitch. Was unlucky not to score and just gave our players someone to aim for

I don't doubt Liverpool's ability to create chances, that's their bread and butter. What I have reservations about is their ability to handle these type of games like champions; when teams are here to sit deep and be a punching bag, to ride their luck, and try to sucker-punch you, can you honestly be confident in your backline being switched on for 90 mins?

When you play the big sides, you actually do look decent defensively. You were very good at Old Trafford last season, and in most big games I've seen you lot play recently you have defended as well as attacked with 11 men, but you can't honestly tell me there's not a pattern in slipping up & conceding silly costly goals in these type of games, irregardless of what chances are missed at the other end.
Nope. Nope. Nope. I don't have faith in this defense to be fully concentrated for 90mins but its expected, until Klopp can get in the right personal the same mistakes will be made. There just not good enough but that's a whole nother argument. The goal today was just not the defense though, it was a domino of mistakes that led to it.

Could've scored near the end too, a few decent chances via Brady corners. There's definitely frailty there. Burnley knew they had to ride their luck playing so negative, it's a given, on a different day Liverpool could've scored 5 and the game-plan would've looked silly, but they also knew what to selectively target for some joy; direct balls/focus on set-pieces to test those CB's.

Could've scored near the end too, a few decent chances via Brady corners. There's definitely frailty there. Burnley knew they had to ride their luck playing so negative, it's a given, on a different day Liverpool could've scored 5 and the game-plan would've looked silly, but they also knew what to selectively target for some joy; direct balls/focus on set-pieces to test those CB's.
I dont disagree with you about our defense but its not as bad as the media make it out to be. By that I mean defending as a team, we are usually excellent and if we had kept a clean sheet today I think it would have been a home record. Not bad for a team whos rubbish defending. On the CB issue, they just ain't good enough some of the mistakes Iv'e seen Lovren, Matip and Klavan make cant be coached out. Until Klopp gets in different personal we will always struggle. Who's fault that wasn't addressed in the summer well..

It's silly, clumsy, concentration issue related errors, which tends to happen in these profiles of games; it's not a coincidence.

Begs the question, how the f*** does Klopp not see anyone bar Van Dijk an upgrade?

Can't imagine the meltdown if one of those free-headers goes in near the end.

Listed 4 players Liverpool should have targeted as alternatives and I stand by them. If you can't get VVD yoi have you get another CB in January. It's going to cost you otherwise.

Doesn't matter though does it if you, I and everyone else came up with a list of 20 CH's we deemed an upgrade?

He doesn't and they only see one man as being that significant a top-level increase. That just is what it is and his view is all that matters there. You can knock him for it if you don't agree. But he's not looking elsewhere if you personally stated your case to him for A N Other player so that debate is fruitless.

It'd help matters if Clyne wasn't out and they weren't concerned with protecting/ rotating Trent and Gomez at RB given their age. Gomez at centre-half would quite possibly be an in-house solution.

But it's not just the CH's. There's mistakes happening in front of them leading to goals that far more than Matip, Lovren or whoever are culpable for.

Just when you get a frustrating week of poor results that should have been far better like this week, every man and his dog jump's all over them again. I think I'll swerve MOTD for one to spare me from that gobshite Shearer filling his boots on our defence later.

It does matter. He's not above criticism. Just because he doesn't see anyone else, doesn't mean he's right.

Back