The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Drat. Pawson's pulled the Derby.

Liable to see another name in the most red carded PL fixture then.

Could well do without reports of the bizzies being on alert for CSKA tipping up in town tomorrow.

That wouldn't be fun!

L'pool in a blistering run of form with a big Champions League game tomorrow.

Everton out of the mire with back-to-back wins for the first time all year. With a new manager. (Even if it's an archaic clown nobody wants.).

Everyone on a high. In Derby week.

And now all anyone wants to talk about is the FA Cup Derby draw the start the NY.

No better City when it's bouncing to the football beat.

In an ideal World, it'd be good tonight if:

Group A. Utd beat CSKA. Much rather Basle than the extra hassle and expense of Moscow twice in a season.
Group C. Atlético beat Chelsea and Roma fail to beat Qarabaǧ. Hmmm, Madrid, or Rome when the footies on. Let me think .....
Group D. Sporting beat Barcelona and Juve fail to win in Athens. Boss, cheap as chips City in Lisbon or constantly watching yer back Turin .....

Tonight couldn't be much simpler then.

Win- Win the group.
Draw- Win the group if Sevilla fail to win. Runner-up if they do.
Lose- Runner-up if Sevilla lose. If they draw and it's a three-way tie on 9 points we'd drop into the Europa League on the collective head-to-head. (Not the most disparaging scenario personally with some of the trips still in that tourney but let's not tempt fate on that.).

No need to worry about any goal difference or goals scored. Just results.

Not too much difference in the teas we could pull next Monday from finishing first or second either:

Win the group: Basel, Bayern, Juventus, Porto/ Leipzig, Real Madrid or Shaktar/ Napoli. (Here's hoping City ease off and Donetsk get something tonight to save the moody shithole that is Naples. Not least when the footies on.).

Finish second: Barcelona, Besiktas, PSG or Roma.

Only Juve, Roma or Napoli I wouldn't want there from a trip perspective. Although PSG still have some knobheads and Shaktar playing in Kharkiv with the situation out there is a real pain.

But on the pitch, over two legs, in straight knock-out European football, with the Anfield factor, I'll happily put this club up against anyone. One thing's for sure. They'll all be as worried about facing ourselves as we could be them.

Talking of, enough of the complacently ***** non-atmosphere of Maribor and back to Hoffenheim/ Sevilla form and the arl place rocking again on what should be another great Anfield European night under the lights.

Into these Reds!

Two absolutely cracking goals! :O That Mane shot was a rocket!

I miss the Brighton game we thump them. I miss the Spartak game we thump them. Hmmm.

Two absolutely cracking goals! :O That Mane shot was a rocket!

What was better? Tonight's or Mo's last Wednesday at Stoke?

Another stupendeslesly great showing. Two 7's in one group. Presume that's the most ever by an English side at least in group play? Since that debacle against 'Spurs that left everyone at rock bottom, that's 7 wins and 2 draws from the 9 games. With a whopping 32 scored and just 6 conceded. With 5 clean sheets in there. Fantastic response. When we're on it and firing, there's not a better attacking outfit in Europe. NOBODY will want to pull us Monday let's put it that way. I didn't think the FA Cup draw could be beaten but Monday's another draw you just can't wait for. We pull anyone bar Juve, with the hassle of Shaktar excepted, it'll be a brilliant trip. Like a kid at Christmas in anticipation.

Among all the super outfield displays, shout out to Karius who's getting better and more dominantly confident the more he plays this run. Outside the free kick in Russia, he's been great right through. And he's getting far more vocal and organising his defence the more comfortable he gets to go along with some great saves. Mad how people wanted to bin him so early.

And just why are people worried about the shites Cup Final Sunday and some Allardyce bounce? Aside from him being an even more embarrassing appointment than even Hodgson,we always wallop them Anfield anyway. They always **** out the Derby. Don't see Sunday being any different.

Up the 7 star Reds!

Just watched the highlights and my god Firmino was outstanding AGAIN. Was arguing with a united mate who said he would take Lukaku over Firmino. LOL. I forget Firmino cant finish... ;)

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights and my god Firmino was outstanding AGAIN. Was arguing with a united mate who was said he would take Lukaku over Firmino. LOL. I forget Firmino cant finish... ;)

The whole 'Fab 4' are in such synch that right now they're unplayable.

BTW, the inherent racism culture problem from the World Cup hosts reared it's ugly head again the 19's game against Spartak.

Not content with already getting into trouble from UEFA for the racial abuse their support gave the return game in Moscow (I say getting into 'trouble' as the punishment was a beyond pathetic closing of 500 seats the academy stadium the next match in Moscow), one of their players this time took centre stage racially abusing Brewster. Who was by all accounts, naturally, fuming the final whistle and had to be held back by his teammates and the staff. An official complaint has gone into UEFA.

A frigging U-19's player for Pete's sake. An endemic problem still in Russia in 2017.

And they have a multitude of races coming next summer the World Cup. You couldn't make it up.

Stoke, West Ham, Maribor, Huddersfield, Brighton etc. Europe wont be cowering just yet, lid.

that said awesome game, front 4 red arrows running riot..crackin :D

The question should be how many teams have scored 7 away from home, never mind at home, the CL again? Or how many times have Maribor even lost at home come to that?

Exactly. :)

Usually once or twice if they make it though the qualifying rounds looking at it... :p

Maribor? Their last 6 CL group stage homes:

1-1, 0-7, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, 1-1. Heck, they've only lost 4 their last 20 home qualifiers/ group games in Europe. With Chelsea and Tottenham failing to win there. They don't get turned over like that at home. ****, only 2 other teams in CL history have won 7 away. In what, 25 years is it now since it rebranded?

Can't imagine there's been many 7-0's at home. I know we hold the record at 8 against Besiktas.

Rare to do that in Europe. To do it twice the groups, once against the top seeds in a must-win game, is ridiculous whatever the club.

Last edited:

Chris Bascombe– Verified account ‏@_ChrisBascombe

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

Okay, that’s 12 hrs of kiss-**** positivity out of way. Now for this. Coutinho & and an inevitable January dilemma Philippe Coutinho has opened door to leaving Liverpool in January - now Jurgen Klopp has a decision to make

Back