The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Love Chambo more and more each day. Real professional attitude since joining the club. Proven pretty much everyone wrong about his signing, while he's obviously not at the level of our first team just yet, the hard work is clearly paying off and he shocked me with how well he played in the middle compared to what I've seen of him before. If he carries on with those kind of performances he will be in the first 11 and that interview was just perfect from him.

As for Gini, well, it was an away game aha!

I know that this name will bring out some bad side of Pool fans, but still would you think Sterling thrive similar to Salah under Klopp? Salah has more experience and etc, but they have similar qualities that Klopp can use.

Completely disagree with this:

Liverpool will ALLOW Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane to attend awards night in Ghana on eve of Everton tie - Liverpool Echo

Send a video acceptance. Or send a club ambassador out to accept on their behalf. What next? Players missing a game on a Sat'day because one of their mates is getting married? Ridiculous. Club first!

And it'd just play into many's (natural, given his first two years the competition) view that he doesn't particularly care about the FA Cup. (Not one I personally share. Although I would question whether he truly get's the Cups importance to many of us?). And after the other week, if he went weak the Derby again .....

I'll be very disappointed, to say the least, if this leads to either being sat.

So, with this dinnertimes latest victory at Wolves leaving the U-18's topping the table as everyone goes on their mid-winter break, seemed as good a time as any to look at the ridiculously superb start to Stevie Gerrard's managerial life at the halfway point of the season:-

Top the 18's PL North regular season table. The only unbeaten side left at the mid-winter break.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U18

Through to the 4th round of the FA Youth Cup and a home tie against Arsenal after a 5-1 win at Hartlepool the third round.

Through to the quarter finals of the U-18 PL Cup and an away trip to Tottenham after topping the group with the only 100% record.

Through to the UEFA Youth League round of 16 having topped the group. With only Barcelona posting a better record by a point. Scoring the second most goals to Madrid (18/21), and conceding the second fewest behind Barcelona. (3/ 1.). Incidentally, the only game he's lost to date came on the plastic pitch out in Moscow 1-2 early.

With a record in all competitions that reads:

P 21 W 15 D 5 L 1 F 54 A 25 GD +29.

This managements larks easy huh? (H)

Been great to see both Steven showing his tactical acumen with a multitude of formations game-by-game. (4-2-3-1/ 4-4-2/ 4-3-3 through to the settled 3-4-3 of the last few months.). Along with the intelligence of the young lads to take them on board and implement them so well out on the park whilst continuing to play the same high tempo, hard working, very attractive attacking footie we have going on at all levels under Jürgen. Along with quite a few of them switching positions in certain games and not looking flustered in so doing. We really do have a super crop of youngsters at all levels pushing through and the '18's is no exception. Not least with the amount of 15/16 year-olds stepping up a big level making up the bulk of the appearances this year to date.

It's also a great testament to the superb work done under Inglethorpe the last three years out at Kirkby and the arl L'pool family atmosphere that's back running right through the club, not least at the Academy, with the returning old coaches that players like Ben Woodburn, Rhian Brewster, last years 18's captain Connor Masterson, Herbie Kane et all have zero issues stepping back down from Melwood to add seniority to the 19's in the UEFA Youth League.

With so many great performances to date, it's really hard to pick individuals out. But I'll go with 6 personal favourites:

The standouts thus far are a couple of local lads (Smiles with pride. BIG.), Curtis Jones and Adam Lewis.

Jones, at still just 16 but having played in every possible game this year at 18/19 level, is the sort of dominant midfielder you can build a team around. He can and has played all over the midfield, with a ridiculous 14 goals and 10 assists on the year. Strong the tattle. Excellent dribbler. Quick. Intelligent. Great web on him. Even better passing range. Just the complete midfielder dominating most every game whilst still under-aged.

18-year-old captain Lewis is another super looking talent at left FB. Rapid. Tough as nails. with one heck of a talented left foot on him. He's as comfortable beating lads down the left wing as mopping up at left back. 5 goals and 6 assists to his name. And he takes a mean corner.

Rhys Williams has been dominant at centre-half all year both in the air and on the ground. Another virtual ever present, the fast developing 16-year-old has made the right centre-half spot his own. (With a shout out to the now injury free fellow 16-year-old Tom Clayton in particular who's been boss since he returned in the back 3 of the last few months.).

16-year-old Norwegian Eddie Tagseth, who came with a better reputation at Scandinavian youth level than his compatriot Odegaard, has certainly lived up to that billing. The lil' fella is a complete 'pocket rocket.' Boundless energy that has him covering all over the park. Loves a tattle when the boots are flying. Deceptively strong for his size. Super vision and passer of a ball. (6 assists this season.). And his close control and dribbling ..... Like Jones you can't get it off him. And like Jones, someone you can really build a team around. Which Stevie appears to be doing as he moulds both of them as his lynchpins.

I really like the Canadian Liam Miller (18) up-front. 2 hatties already among his 12 goals this year is a testament to his natural striking ability. But where he's really stood out is when he's been out the left flank with Lewis behind him. His dribbling and sheer power at pace has lead to 9 assists already. Still a little raw in some of his decisions, but he's steadily improved the more he's settled in here the last couple of years and there's a potentially very good striker fast developing.

Also been really impressed by the young 16-year-old Czech 'keeper Viteslav Jaros since he's firmly established himself as the 18's 'keeper the past couple of months. Real good pick-up from Slavia Prague who's growing in stature and confidence by the passing game the next level against bigger boys. Naturally not on Grabara's level yet. (Who's destined for a solid career at the top be it here or elsewhere.). He's learning from mistakes as he goes like any kid this age. But the potentials there for all to see and he's had quite a few stand-out moments already.

Obviously, all these lads, as superb as they and their compadres have been this year to date. are a LONG way away from where we ultimately hope they'll end up. With a lot of developing and growing pains still to go. But they're progressing, in many cases, WELL ahead of schedule under Gerrard and Culshaw's tutelage and there's every reason to be really optimistic at what could be the next 5 years or so. And that's before you even start on the 23's and how they're dominating in their league .....

Real fun to watch the development of these kids and even better when they're having as stellar a season as this. I'd highly recommend Stevie's 18's if you've nottin' else to do.

You won't be disappointed. Here's to the second half of the season being just as good.

And maybe, just maybe, when Jürgen hangs it up in another 3 or 4 years, we might just be set to getting back to promoting from within for the top job.

Last edited:
I don’t like agreeing with Scouse on anything but its absolutely class what Gerrard is doing at the youth level.

Doing at great at youth level no doubt. But does not mean he will become a top manager. Just look at Joyce who left us. Fantastic youth coach but really struggling at championship level management.

Cant fault the job he’s done so far. And his record is very good. Follow a fair bit of youth footy and Pool do play good footy.

16-year-old Norwegian Eddie Tagseth, who came with a better reputation at Scandinavian youth level than his compatriot Odegaard, has certainly lived up to that billing.

Did he? Can't say I'd heard of him to be honest. Only hyped up / big reputation player I can think of close to Odegaard lately would be Mastour, and he's ***** haha.

Good to see some decent players there though, hopefully they can keep it up and make an impression later on

Did he? Can't say I'd heard of him to be honest. Only hyped up / big reputation player I can think of close to Odegaard lately would be Mastour, and he's ***** haha.

Good to see some decent players there though, hopefully they can keep it up and make an impression later on

My recollection from a couple of years ago when we agreed the deal is that he was claimed to be the "second most hyped/talented/highly rated" Norwegian prospect, behind Odegaard

You wouldn't if you didn't have a personal interest in him.

This was the Norwegian FA's Head of Development talking on him at 15:

https://www.dagbladet.no/sport/edva...e-tid-det-inkluderer-martin-odegaard/60258181

*Google translation:

TALENTFULL: Edvard Sandvik Tagseth is this week at the national gathering in Porsgrunn. Photo: John T. Pedersen / Dagbladet
Edvard (15) is referred to as Norway's greatest talent in recent times. It includes Martin Ødegaard
- He's almost scary complete.

29 JUNE 2016 CL. 18.45 PART OF FACEBOOK
Joachim Baardsen
PORSGRUNN (Dagbladet): - I have always wanted to become a football player. That's something I've been aware of.

There is a national team collection in Porsgrunn. Some of Norway's biggest talents are in the process of playing a game at Kjølens Idrettspark. 15-year-old Edvard Sandvik Tagseth drops his right shoulder down to the ground before he moves to the left after a fast weight transfer. The opponent back can not handle. The change of turn to the little edge player is too fast.

With 30 meters of green grass in front of it, Sandvik Tagseth further accelerates. The ball never travels more than a few centimeters in front of the left foot at a time. The glance is raised. On the back post, the G15 national team player sees a teammate. Seconds after the ball between the defense and the keeper with great precision before the magnificent preparation turned into scoring a kick later.

BALL ARTIST: Such is referred to as Sandvik Tagseth. Photo: John T. Pedersen / Dagbladet
- Extreme talent

The ability to create an imbalance in the opponent is a rare and sought after item in football. That's one of the reasons that Liverpool got Sandvik Tagseth to commit to the club on a 4-year contract already in August last year.

NFF's Talent Manager Håkon Grøttland (35) quickly picks up several reasons for the interest of Englishmen and several other European top clubs. From 2010 to 2014, 35-year-old Martin Ødegaard (17) followed closely as talent developer in Buskerud Football Circle, and we all know the drama series's most adventurous story that took him from Kjappen to Santiago Bernabéu. Grøttland nevertheless believes that Sandvik Tagseth is more perfect than Ødegaard was at the same age, that is, the year before the Real Madrid player debuted in Tippeligaen and the A-national team.

- Edvard is an extremely talented. He is farther ahead than the Ødegaard was. It will be dangerous to say, but he has a lot of that Ødegaard had and a little more. He is almost scary to be so young, says Grøttland to Dagbladet.

TALENT SHAFT: NFF's Håkon Grøttland at a gathering in Porsgrunn. Photo: John T. Pedersen / Dagbladet
Signed by Liverpool and Nike
Nike has also got his eyes up for Sandvik Tagseth. Dagbladet announced last year that the global equipment supplier had entered into an agreement with Ødegaard, and the same thing they did with the young boy from Frosta in Nord-Trøndelag. In the sunshine in Porsgrunn, Sandvik Tagseth is wearing orange boots of the same kind as Cristiano Ronaldo (31). According to Trønder-Avisa, the contract entails that Sandvik Tagseth receives clothes, shoes and an annual cash sum to set aside Nike until 2019.

SPONSET BY NIKE: Sandvik Tagseth had orange Nike boots on training in Porsgrunn. Photo: John T. Pedersen / Dagbladet
The deal is sensational for a 15-year-old, but the super talent takes the accompanying attention and praise from the outside world with peace. Instead of thinking about the next shooting position, Sandvik Tagseth focuses on performing on the pitch. Currently, he commutes to Liverpool two weeks at a time each month. In June 2017, the home address will be solely on Merseyside, where he will be played for the favorite club's G15 and G16 crew and have their own home with the family.

"It's going very well in Liverpool. The quality is high, so I get well well there. It is different than in Norway. It's a better level, more professional and more demanding physically, but I feel I've done well, says Sandvik Tagseth.

Passed on
Grøttland and G15 national team coach Gunnar Halle agree that Sandvik Tagseth is probably the best player who has been in the NFF system in recent times. The useful, offensive ballvirtuose has become good after starting to work targeted with technical exercises already as a four-year-old home in a barn the dad had turned into an artificial turf hall.

TRIVES ON COLLECTION: Sandvik Tagseth appreciates being on the G15 national team. Photo: John T. Pedersen / Dagbladet
Now, the NFF coaches will look after their jewel in the hope that Sandvik Tagseth in a few years may be a one-off for the Norwegian A-national team. In a short period of time, a delegation consisting of, among others, Halle, Jarl Torske and the circuit manager in Trøndelag to Liverpool will be leaving. The journey is part of an attempt to optimize the arrangement around the player, which is both a facilitator and goal scorer.

"It must be very exciting to get into one of the world's biggest clubs. I think Liverpool is a good choice. One would think they have a device that will take care of him. The most important thing for Edvard is now that he gets the best possible weekdays, that there is not too much travel and fighting, Grøttland believes himself.

Followed by Liverpool legend
In England, former Liverpool player Steve Heighway is among the men who govern the daily lives of the coach. Iren played over 300 matches fo

Kudos to Neil Critchley in his first season stepping up to U-23'e level too.

As they enter their midseason break, his charges are sat:

Two games clear at the top of PL2:

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U21

2 points off the lead half-way the group in the never-ending PL Cup.

And all but assured qualification the group after last nights 3-0 win over Jong PSV the PL International Cup.

And one trophy bagged already with the hold-over final from last years Lancashire Senior Cup.

Something kind of neat for your Christmas to be sitting top of both the U-18's and U-23's leagues.

And, as noted talking about Gerrard's boss start, it's been great to see Critchley and his team readily helping out the Steven and his with the U-19's in the UEFA Youth League and the players in the last year of eligibility for that happily stepping back down from the 23's to add a more senior presence.

The club really is flourishing on all levels as we continue to build this.

Young 20-year-old American Brooks Lennon has returned home to his former club after a year and a half.

https://www.rsl.com/post/2017/12/20/rsl-permanently-acquires-brooks-lennon-liverpool

He's been back at Salt Lake on loan since March which was due to run out the last day of this year so it makes sense to ratify it now as he had little future here along with his contract being up in the summer. Some good memory's from when he went on a bit of a tear the 23's Autumn last year. (Headed goal in a dominating Mini-Derby performance springs to mind.).

Doubt he ever makes it back to Europe but hopefully for him, he has a good career the MLS and maybe takes that on to International level.

Cost nothing. Returns for nothing. No harm no foul.

Poor Alex. The whole video is really cute with the kid's expressions and he plays second fiddle right through:

[video=youtube;xGjZLS0NK4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGjZLS0NK4A[/video]

Sure it will be sooner rather than later that they'll be wanting to be him along with the other two. The more he works and learns under Jürgen, fully becomes a L'pool player and rediscovers his natural attacking talents, the more you can see he has as much potential as anyone at the club for top billing.

Reading previews for tonight.

The season on-going lazy, inaccurate 'journalism' about L'pool's still perceived poor defending really is something else.

Back