The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
It would be really nice if we could get a better goalkeeping coach, Lord knows how Achterberg is still in a job when he seems to take good keepers backwards

I really don’t know where to fall on Achterberg.

On the one hand, you’d say most every ‘keeper has regressed under him. (Although Reina can’t be really added without the context of his attitude after Rafa left the club.).

On the other, 3 top managers now, none of whom are stupid men, Benitez, Kenny and Klopp, have all not only kept him but rave about him for whatever reason.

So it always gives you pause to think he must have something. ‘Keeper coaches aren’t on salaries that can’t easily be paid off and replaces with another.

Fella’ must have something that keeps him around under 3 of the best managers in the game surely that we don’t see on a day-to-day basis?

Karius has stood tall and made some great blocks the last few games.

So his positioning must be improving somewhere. Shrugs.

I grew up watching Grobbelaar in goal & despite his many mistakes he's still a hero of mine.(Match fixing apart ;))

I grew up watching Grobbelaar in goal & despite his many mistakes he's still a hero of mine.(Match fixing apart ;))

Never did buy into anything more than that being a S*n set-up conspiracy against Brucie and the club.

But Grobbelaar is a great comparison to Karius and the batshit crazy social media World of today. The way Loris was abysmally assassinated and vilified, first by the media lead Carragher and Neville, and then by the lunatic fringe of our 'support' (word used VERY losley) after a mere 10 games in England and wanting him bombed out of the club was beyond disgraceful and nonsensical.

You flip back to Brucies early years, when he was costing the club massively with some very high profile, beyond comical and VERY costly F-up's. (The best team in Europe by a Country mile going out of the European Cup in successive years to such luminaries as CSKA Sofia and Poland's Widzew Lodz, both in the third round, down to Brucie clangers, spring instantly to mind.). To have Paisley understand the enormous potential he had and the time needed to adjust to a new Country and style of football and stick by him. That didn't turn out too bad huh? But if you flip that to today's times, the batshit crazy masses would have wanted not only Bruce gone, but Paisley's neck in a noose for not doing the former.

Changed times, And not for the better in many ways.

27751829_10155028242937001_47675887661034828_n.jpg

(The best team in Europe by a Country mile going out of the European Cup in successive years to such luminaries as CSKA Sofia and Poland's Widzew Lodz

Yohoho, mate. Early 1980s Widzew was a proper team, after knocking you out they put up a good fight against Juve in the semis. And even then, you've only played them after Boniek left to Italy.

Boniek. Man was he a player.

Presume now Clyne's back in full training his ban must be over and everything's out of his system then?

Uhmmm, 'allegedly.'

Indeed, Widzew was a serious ******* team in those days. Over a period of couple of years, while Boniek was still there, they had a number of close games with City, United, Juve, knocking out some of them in the process. Legend here has it that Paisley's assistant send to Lodz to observe Widzew before the tie, went out drinking all night instead and missed the game.

One of our most succesful club teams , sadly they went bankrupt couple of years ago and are now in 4th division.

Andrew BeasleyVerified account @BassTunedToRed
FollowFollow
@BassTunedToRed​

More

Most 5+ goal away wins by Liverpool managers:

5 - Klopp
4 - Paisley, Houllier
3 - Barclay, McKenna
2 - Shankly, Benitez, Rodgers

2:00 am - 19 Feb 2018

125 years L'pool FC has been in existence. Through which time we've had 22 managers. ( 1 temporary.).

Some record that in the excitement/ value for money stakes. LONG may it continue.

I presume from this the club must be pretty sure there's gonna' be zero action on Firmino or they will look silly:

Reds to dedicate West Ham fixture to Kick It Out - Liverpool FC

Over 8 weeks now. They can't just ignore, if as seemed apparent at the time this is the case, a false allegation scenario when they've opened an investigation. Ridiculous how the Holgate mess is dragging on.

Related, brilliant to see the Channel 4 news piece taking the Salah song from Porto in the right context instead of the xenophobic, racist, bigoted, stereotypical responses from morons all over social media.

Nothing will happen re Firmino now, I just don’t think the FA are going to release a statement stating there isn’t a charge to answer, it would be more trouble than its worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing will happen re Firmino now, I just don’t think the FA are going to release a statement stating there isn’t a charge to answer, it would be more trouble than its worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have to release some statement mate after they opened an official investigation surely? They can't just leave it hanging and hope it'll just fade away.

I want to know what genius thought 3 PM on a Wednesday would be a sound time for a game?!!!!! That'll REALLY help the gate.

Stuck having to tape it and watch when I'm home.

Yeah, should be a good game. They're bang out of form like with 4 straight defeats but that's been real misleading. Incredibly unlucky to go out the Youth Cup in extra time to Arsenal January. Played Stoke and Everton off the park the last two league games to no avail. Same the 23's having lost three straight 1-0's but then most the already young 18's side has stepped up to compensate for all the loans the older lads January so that's a real young, undersized squad coming together too. Which in turn has lead to a changed and much younger U-18's.

But at least this is a continuance of the group that's stormed through the groups this competition with the best record. Just missing Brewster with his season-ending injury which is a blow. Nice to see Woodburn pulled back down to continue captaining them whilst he's still eligible. Strong a side as he could put out with a very youthful bench.

L'pool- Utd. It matters at any level. L'pool- Utd in Europe. It matters that bit more. Wonderful experience for all the young lads involved.

I want to know what genius thought 3 PM on a Wednesday would be a sound time for a game?!!!!! That'll REALLY help the gate.

Stuck having to tape it and watch when I'm home.

Yeah, should be a good game. They're bang out of form like with 4 straight defeats but that's been real misleading. Incredibly unlucky to go out the Youth Cup in extra time to Arsenal January. Played Stoke and Everton off the park the last two league games to no avail. Same the 23's having lost three straight 1-0's but then most the already young 18's side has stepped up to compensate for all the loans the older lads January so that's a real young, undersized squad coming together too. Which in turn has lead to a changed and much younger U-18's.

But at least this is a continuance of the group that's stormed through the groups this competition with the best record. Just missing Brewster with his season-ending injury which is a blow. Nice to see Woodburn pulled back down to continue captaining them whilst he's still eligible. Strong a side as he could put out with a very youthful bench.

L'pool- Utd. It matters at any level. L'pool- Utd in Europe. It matters that bit more. Wonderful experience for all the young lads involved.
****** ridiculous KO! Finished just now but no chance I’m traveling down to catch 1 half. ****** had no hols left :( yeah seen your form been poor of late, but tbh that goes out the window. Gonna post our line up in the Utd thread not seen it yet gonna check now. Gonna be a great game I reckon proper European Derby.

Meh, forms relative at this age. 16/17/18 yer old kids who's bodies are still developing, besides anything else, are gonna' be up and down with their form/ results no matter how talented they are.

Like Utd battling relegation the second straight year the 23's. Yeah, it's not good by any means but that's the nature of youth football with all the factors involved. Never worth getting bent out of shape over youth loses/ performances in that development stage.

Meh, forms relative at this age. 16/17/18 yer old kids who's bodies are still developing, besides anything else, are gonna' be up and down with their form/ results no matter how talented they are.

Like Utd battling relegation the second straight year the 23's. Yeah, it's not good by any means but that's the nature of youth football with all the factors involved. Never worth getting bent out of shape over youth loses/ performances in that development stage.
See we gone really young lot of 16/17 year olds. Spurs and Monaco have gone to Peno like City and Inter did.

See we gone really young lot of 16/17 year olds. .....

Got the same issue now the 23's. 10/11 players left/ went out on loan January so now it's like a completely new team for the run-in and much younger. Which when you've 16/17-year-olds stepping up ..... The difference physically the other week their last loss West Ham against older, bigger lads was stark. But that's the nature of youth football. Players moving up and down to fill in. And it all adds to their development in learning to deal with bigger lads and a more physical game for when they (hopefully) get to play against men at whatever level.

Frustrating when they've had such a great season and are now hanging on the top the table as the young lads step up but it is what it is.

Back