The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Some of those saves last night man. Fella' that keeps City's Ederson out of the Brzilian side. Statistically, he's been right up there with de Gea this year. Who's one **** of an all-time great goalie to be matching to say the least.

It was reading a Sam Maguire/ football whispers piece, linked here:https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/01/roma-goalkeeper-alisson-liverpools-saviour-sticks/, that got me onto him. Only watched one and a bit part game for Roma since and I'm completely sold. Takes up great positions and starts high. Great feet/ distribution. Vocal. Always organising those in front. Love how agile he is and how quickly he bounces back up after making a stop. Like de Gea, using every part of his anatomy. Dominant the air. I get the 'Messi of Goalkeepers' tag.

Completely sold and I'd pay the release in a heartbeat. Which for someone so sceptical on Brazilian 'keepers is saying something. But for now, publicly at least, we've sadly dropped all interest and Karius has the managers full support. And he's playing markedly better the more confident he gets to be fair to him. But whether that remains the same the next 3 months or so remains to be seen.

He'd be up there with Pulisic atop my main summer target list personally.

He's only had one really good season. Wasn't great the season before. And he's posting the kind of numbers that are rarely sustainable. To the point it puts him in with a handful of keepers: DDG, Courtois etc.

Sam Maguire always overplays anyone who is linked to Liverpool, but Alisson is very very good, form wise anyway. Whether he's got it in him to be this good over more than a season is the next step

Comfortably better than anything you have.

Hehe, some of these young goalkeepers are really breaking a lot stereotypes and I love it.

Used to have clear two types of goalkeepers. Type 1 is great reflexes, great on the line, good in the air, very big mouth and usually a little ****** in the head. So that's your Schmeichels and your Kahns and your Barthez. Type 2 tries to anticipate situations rather than just react, work the entire box, good with feet. SO that's your Reinas and your VdS and your Neuers and what not.

Buffon used unique because he could do both. Lately though, I look at a lot of those young fellas and they can pretty much do everything, and it's amazing.

Hehe, some of these young goalkeepers are really breaking a lot stereotypes and I love it.

Used to have clear two types of goalkeepers. Type 1 is great reflexes, great on the line, good in the air, very big mouth and usually a little ****** in the head. So that's your Schmeichels and your Kahns and your Barthez. Type 2 tries to anticipate situations rather than just react, work the entire box, good with feet. SO that's your Reinas and your VdS and your Neuers and what not.

Buffon used unique because he could do both. Lately though, I look at a lot of those young fellas and they can pretty much do everything, and it's amazing.

Yep. If Alisson can stay at this level, he's world class.

I'm all for giving Karius a chance to prove himself. However if theres a chance of signing Allison a player who is currently performing at a worldclass level and has the potential to be the best in the world then it's a no brainer for me. Only hope we dont sign Navas who were now linked with as he is seriously below average.

I'm all for giving Karius a chance to prove himself. However if theres a chance of signing Allison a player who is currently performing at a worldclass level and has the potential to be the best in the world then it's a no brainer for me. Only hope we dont sign Navas who were now linked with as he is seriously below average.

If, come the summer, he's not set on Karius, then I'd happily either go for Allison or pay the release clause on Oblak.

£90 million's mad like but for a decade worth of top-drawer security ..... We've neglected the most important position outside of a goalscorer on this or any other team for WAY too many years now.

If, come the summer, he's not set on Karius, then I'd happily either go for Allison or pay the release clause on Oblak.

£90 million's mad like but for a decade worth of top-drawer security ..... We've neglected the most important position outside of a goalscorer on this or any other team for WAY too many years now.
Bin both of them, promote your young keeper Ward, and activate the release clause for either Oblak or Alisson.

And fire your goalkeeping coach

I remember Scouse going otot over Karius this time last year as well. ‘Voted by his fellow professionals as best behind Neur’ blah blah blah. Now we are here ...

I remember Scouse going otot over Karius this time last year as well. ‘Voted by his fellow professionals as best behind Neur’ blah blah blah. Now we are here ...

To be fair, Klopp's bizarre goalkeeper politics are to blame. Karius had 3 full Bundesliga seasons at 22, which are seriously impressive credentials. Then he comes to Liverpool and barely plays despite competing with the clown that is Mignolet. Sometimes he doesn't even get rotated in the meaningless games that are perfect to give young player more playtime.

And yeah Karius is obviously inconsistent, but that's the thing with young goalkeepers ain't it. Early De Gea was a disaster, and when he wasn't busy being a disaster on the pitch, he was stealing Doritos from supermarkets. And yet someone took a chance on him and here were. If you don't want to take a chance on the young guy, why even buy him in a first place? The whole thing is weird.

To be fair, Klopp's bizarre goalkeeper politics are to blame. Karius had 3 full Bundesliga seasons at 22, which are seriously impressive credentials. Then he comes to Liverpool and barely plays despite competing with the clown that is Mignolet. Sometimes he doesn't even get rotated in the meaningless games that are perfect to give young player more playtime.

And yeah Karius is obviously inconsistent, but that's the thing with young goalkeepers ain't it. Early De Gea was a disaster, and when he wasn't busy being a disaster on the pitch, he was stealing Doritos from supermarkets. And yet someone took a chance on him and here were. If you don't want to take a chance on the young guy, why even buy him in a first place? The whole thing is weird.
Yep the goalkeeping situation has been one f up after another with Klopp. Now we sit here commenting that Karius has until the end of the season to save his LFC career. Even if he does bad it's still not enough time to fully assess whether he has the potential to be the first choice or not. People forget it took De gea 18 months to really get going.

Yep the goalkeeping situation has been one f up after another with Klopp. ..... .

The goalkeeping situation has been one F up after another WAY longer than the last 2 and a bit years.

The last nigh on three decades we've had massive gaps of serious ***** between the end of Brucie to Reina to now. Interspersed with losing one of the best goalies the PL's ever seen, Friedel, as Evans and then Houllier couldn't settle between James, who had everything to be a top class #1, bar a frigging brain, the American and a fella' who'd rival Mignolet for the worst ever long-term L'pool 'keeper if he'd been here longer than two years, the Dutch divvy Westerveld.

We just don't do goalkeepers.

Mercifully, every indication is pointing to them finally being ready to go all in and spend on serious quality the summer if Karius doesn't keep up his current upturn regardless of the apparent smokescreen that they aren't interested in x anymore.

Not to mention ******* Dudek who's a legend on the back of one game, and otherwise was utter ****.

'Messi of Goalkeepers' tag

Ahaha what in the ****!?

Tracked it down. His former 'keeping coach at Roma coined that:

https://www.ilromanista.eu/news/as-...erto-negrisolo-alisson-il-messi-dei-portieria

'Is Alisson worth €50m? Don’t be silly, he’s worth far more than that...I don’t think many people have realised who Alisson is. This guy is a phenomenon. He is the Number One of Number Ones. He is the Messi of
goalkeepers, because he has the same mentality as Messi. He is a goalkeeper who can mark an era.

There is absolutely no comparison with Gianluigi
Donnarumma, because Alisson is extraordinary. The first time I saw him play, he wasn’t yet on the Roma books. I watched him play for Brazil and he made an enormous impression on me.

The way he behaves in the goal, he reminds me of Dino Zoff. I’d also compare him to Michel Preud-Homme, who had the class of someone born to be a goalkeeper.

I know goalkeepers, that is my business, and I can assure you Alisson can be a guarantee for at least another 10 years. He’s already a hero to the fans and Roma need to keep hold of him.

Alisson is crucial off the field too, as you can see he has the mind of a Coach. Look at the way he moves and acts when the ball is in his hands and you’ll understand'

Source: Il Romanista

He's massively overselling him, but as someone who has watched a lot of serie A, he is having a blinder. If he stays at this level he is one of the best keepers in the world.

Preud-Homme had the best timing I've ever seen in a goalkeeper, so there's that.

He's massively overselling him, but as someone who has watched a lot of serie A, he is having a blinder. If he stays at this level he is one of the best keepers in the world.

Yeah but if you're gonna' do it, go all in with the best selling point you can make. Messi would be that haha.

"There is absolutely no comparison with GianluigiDonnarumma, because Alisson is extraordinary."

Alisson is 7 years older, Donnarumma is still only 18 somehow (birthday this week!), I'd be very disappointed if Donna isn't rated as world class by the age of 25

"There is absolutely no comparison with GianluigiDonnarumma, because Alisson is extraordinary."

Alisson is 7 years older, Donnarumma is still only 18 somehow (birthday this week!), I'd be very disappointed if Donna isn't rated as world class by the age of 25

Naturally but he's also naturally had a very up and down year this year. That hype and pressure on him needs tempering whilst he makes the mistakes all young 'keepers make.

He's a ways to go yet.

Back