The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
The game was crying out for Henderson. I think the complaints about him are understandable at times but make no mistake about it, he never hides away in games. The midfield was non-existent in the first half, needed Henderson in there commanding the ball.

Poor decision by Klopp to risk him in an already won tie when he knows Hendo cant play more than two games a week. Shouldve been rested for one of the biggest games of the season.

Weird to lose what to many is still by far and away the biggest game of any season and see everyone, now the disappointments passed, so upbeat on all the positives from yesterday and the upward ascendency the clubs in.

Good place to be and another sign of the big strides forward being taken.

Only recently? He’s been a staple playing the middle under Klopp.

You’re confusing the Rodgers era mate.

Fair enough but I still think he's been mismanaged over the majority of his career with us. Doesnt matter anyway as hes being replaced with a better quality player who suits us.

Weird to lose what to many is still by far and away the biggest game of any season and see everyone, now the disappointments passed, so upbeat on all the positives from yesterday and the upward ascendency the clubs in.

Good place to be and another sign of the big strides forward being taken.

Same I'm only gutted because I know were a better team than United and Iv'e never been confident going into a game at Old Trafford (apart from the moyes era lol). Shows how far weve come in a short space of time. Still its easy to forget despite Mourinho hoofball at times Utd are imperious at home with the best defensive record in the league.

Last edited:
Perfect night of European footy.

Seville the quarters be boss. To get two trips there in one season would be a dream. And much rather Rome than the pain in the **** that is Kharkiv and Shaktar. Yeah, it's carnage the night of the match but the rest of the time Rome's a great City to be in.

Barcelona to join Munich tomorrow please.

That'd leave 5 brilliant Euro aways. And City would suffice to save cash and holidays. The only one I defo don't want, for obvious reasons, is Turin.

Perfect night of European footy.

Seville the quarters be boss. To get two trips there in one season would be a dream. And much rather Rome than the pain in the **** that is Kharkiv and Shaktar. Yeah, it's carnage the night of the match but the rest of the time Rome's a great City to be in.

Barcelona to join Munich tomorrow please.

That'd leave 5 brilliant Euro aways. And City would suffice to save cash and holidays. The only one I defo don't want, for obvious reasons, is Turin.
thats the 1 you will get cos reasons

Yep, glad Utd are out. Can't stomach the thought of two legs against Mourinho, showed how bad we were on Saturday.

Yep, glad Utd are out. Can't stomach the thought of two legs against Mourinho, showed how bad we were on Saturday.

It did. (Although not so much 'bad' as just having a complete off day the final third.). But then it just exemplifies why nobody was that down in defeat. Only one team on the park Sat'day are the ones in the ascendancy. And it wasn't the one that won. Any other day, with a bounce of the ball here and there. and a referee not ******* out of every decision, they come away with nottin'. His antwacky brand of footy can only grind it out so far. When the luck runs out, you're screwed.

It did. (Although not so much 'bad' as just having a complete off day the final third.). But then it just exemplifies why nobody was that down in defeat. Only one team on the park Sat'day are the ones in the ascendancy. And it wasn't the one that won. Any other day, with a bounce of the ball here and there. and a referee not ******* out of every decision, they come away with nottin'. His antwacky brand of footy can only grind it out so far. When the luck runs out, you're screwed.
Tbf on Saturday they had a plan and it worked perfectly have to give them credit for that, they nullified us extremely well.

Tbf on Saturday they had a plan and it worked perfectly have to give them credit for that, they nullified us extremely well.

Credit to him for doing what he does and ******* out the result. As it happens, I don't think we deserved anything. Even if we were arguably the better side in defeat without creating anything. (Not that Utd did either. 3 chances, 2 goals off mistakes.). But they still needed a boatload of luck and Pawson to see them over the line.

It was amusing reading the press Sunday fawning over him getting the better of Klopp tactically.

Mourinho didn't 'out tactic' anyone. Mourinho did the only 'tactic' Mourinho knows and we helped hasten that by the two early mistakes.

Any other day L'pool get something out of that game. Utd, although they deserved the win as noted, got dead lucky. Lucky the referee was completely in their favour. (As off as we were, we should have been given 2, if not three, chances to equalise with the non-clear penalty's. Before you even get to Rashford and arguably Valencia not walking when at least the former defo should have.). Lucky that the ball didn't bounce our way here and there the second half we completely dominated just lacking that cutting edge the final ball. Lucky two defensive mistakes handed them the win off only three chances they created all game.

That ground was nervous as all heck second half as they hung on for dear life and the relief the end was palpable.

Where we were tactically naive was playing too narrow and trying to continually play through a packed defence. But Klopp wasn't schooled by anyone. As off as we were, we still dominated and they still needed Pawson to bail them out.

Just more frustrating as it was them.

Tonight, that luck ran out.

Honestly you know I don't like Mourinho much at all, but come on... this just comes across as salty. You were much more gracious in defeat after the game and now you are suddenly blaming anything and everything.

Mourinho has your number every time he plays you, which isn't luck. He just knows how to nullify Klopp very well, we executed that plan and it made you look very toothless.

I'm not going to deny, your style of football is much more attractive, but if your in such ascendancy and United not so, why are we still above you in a 31 games played league thus far?

A team in 2nd can't be in such a downward spiral, that's kind of my point.

Last edited:
Not blaming anyone more than telling it like it actually happened. Said the same the Utd thread Sat'day which got V's back-up. If he looks at it objectively a few days removed he couldn't deny Utd seriously rode their luck helped out massively by Pawson.

We had a bad start compounded by what Moss did at City with the knock-on for a month or so. No Sadio for three games, with no Coutinho, still regaining his fitness after the lil' ***** took a month off, and form and confidence went to ****. Since the Tottenham walloping in October, we're running 2/3 games clear of you over the last 5 months which is testimony to how much we've improved as the season had gone on and just how good our form has been over the last 5/6 months. (****, Sat'day was different. That wasn't a side that threw the towel in as previous L'pool sides would have done. They came out and had Utd looking like an away team, at home, hanging on for dear life. Just off in the final third. But on another day, it's highly unlikely he'd of dogged out the victory.). This was part of a German report on Saturday's game. The highlighted last line sums it up:

'The level of this match wasn’t remarkably high, as Klopp’s team weren’t coerced into playing poorly by the tactics of Mourinho. Thanks to Marcus Rashford’s clinical display in front of goal, Mourinho was able to exercise his version of control over the match. This version of control doesn’t actually do all that much to “control” the game, instead stifling the opponent into being less effective than normal. Still, Liverpool in the second half were quite close to finding a second, with United owing a debt of gratitude to Eric Bailly. In another day where the front three are more effective and less so from Rashford, the narrative on Mourinho shifts from “pragmatic genius” to “cowardly in big matches”.

Totally encompasses why Utd are going absolutely nowhere under him. When given the talent available, you should be. And let's be brutally honest, if de Gea wasn't the WC 'keeper he is, Utd would quite plausibly be sitting alongside Arsenal right now. He's continually that big a difference maker bailing his manager out of the ****.

Thing is z, going forward, his brand of football is never going to get close to winning the PL today. Or the EC for that matter. The games moved on and points totals are going up season-on-season. L'pool, like City, play to win every game they play. Your fella', not so much. He's not adapted and never will. Sat'day's two mistakes aside, since Klopp's tweaked his tactics, along with finally dumping the single biggest thing holding this sdie back, the goalkeeper, and adding van Dijk who's organisation has lead to a wholly different defensive shape, which side is gonna' be moving forward again next year whilst the other stagnates? Our defence (which was never as bad as was made out. Mignolet just highlighted every little mistake into a goal more or less), could always be fixed. No matter what you spend on attacking talent, he doesn't change a career MO, nottin' is ultimately gonna' change.

The side playing the second best football in this Country, and some of the best Europe wide, is far more a threat going forward than the side continuing to think winning wars of attrition is the way forward sat in second.

Still happily congratulate you on the win. I don't happen to think we deserved much of anything. But I know as a fan of either coming out the ground Sat'day which one I'd be far more worried on. And had Pawson given him what he deserved, the complete relief at the final whistle would have turned very nasty toward him indeed.

Last edited:
We all know Mourinho's style and tactics, they are continually stifling and frustrating, but consistently so which is why we are still higher than you are in the league. Despite you somehow thinking you'd be 3 games clear of us by now if you had x y or z player at start of season, that's essentially 13 points your theorising as we are currently 4 ahead of you.

Anyway, regarding your point about Klopp making certain changes and adaptations this season which is ultimately going to make you better off. Such as Van Dijk. You're right, it should do, but lets not paint Klopp to be some kind of genius for it.... these problems such as goalkeeper and CB he inherited right from the start of his reign at Liverpool. His failure to address it straight away when he came in has actually held you back and been your downfall in pretty much every season under Klopp so far.

Last edited:
Mate, you know that's not what I wrote so don't flippantly spin it. I took the recent last 5/6 months since the back end of October and our only real thumping this year (City doesn't count the way that game turned into a non-event game at the hands of the referee) to highlight the massive improvement in one side and the big downturn the other.

L'pool were 7 points behind Utd with a minus 20 GD between the two teams after that loss to Tottenham October 22. (Remember the debate on here when every man and his dog was piling in that Sunday on just how bad L'pool were and even questioning where Klopp was taking the side?).

Taking everyone's results from that point on, they'd currently be 2 games above them. Having scored the most goals and conceded the fewest the PL over that span. That's a 12 point swing which is quite the turnaround.

Scouse, I hate to break this to you, but none of what you just said matters. The league starts in August and the only thing that shows where both teams are truthfully is the league table.

Ok. Chelsea's defeat means we can finally ink in the Palace game the 31st at half 12.

Mad (and pretty darn disgraceful but that's another subject), that we've not known if it would move until just over 2 weeks before the game. Not that travelling supporters plans should ever come before the TV companies or anything .....

Europe can wait until Friday. My heads battered scouting out a zillion flight options as it is.

Ohh cmon, city vs pool....

Absolutely gutted. Not on the pitch. We've every chance of doing them over two legs in Europe.

But the hours of work sorting out routes and flights for every possibility all 4 dates each round has now gone to waste and no 6th boss trip this year. Sighs. Saves money and holidays I suppose.

Absolutely gutted. Not on the pitch. We've every chance of doing them over two legs in Europe.

But the hours of work sorting out routes and flights for every possibility all 4 dates each round has now gone to waste and no 6th boss trip this year. Sighs. Saves money and holidays I suppose.
It saves getting your passport out Scouse, hopefully your lot can put another spanner in the works for City's attempt at muscling in on the European Elite.

It saves getting your passport out Scouse, hopefully your lot can put another spanner in the works for City's attempt at muscling in on the European Elite.

Come back around to it now and if truth be told, it's great to save money.

Just been a real mad few days sourcing out so many different flight options made worse with the first leg being Easter Weekend and prices going through the roof that could make you cry when it all goes to waste haha.

Second leg could well be naughty. We'll have **** loads there. And City is always one of them that doesn't take much to erupt. A second leg decider on the biggest stage of all ..... Not a good recipe.

Back