The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Pep was a clown for changing his system tonight! Well played Pool though. Tie far from over though. Sure City will give Pep another 200m for defence though if they don’t progress :P

When you watch City play I honestly believe the title has been handed to them by the tactics employed by the rest of the league. Letting City control the game and setting up two banks of four is suicide. Seriously even Bristol who got in their faces over the two legs nearly beat them, so why cant the rest of the league bother to have a go against them.

I think this a lot also, although for smaller teams this is hard to execute against City, a lot of them have not even tried.

Needless to say great win for Liverpool.

Pep was a clown for changing his system tonight! Well played Pool though. Tie far from over though. Sure City will give Pep another 200m for defence though if they don’t progress :P

More of a shape issue than personnel. 4 centre mids.. wtf.

More of a shape issue than personnel. 4 centre mids.. wtf.
Really shocked Sterling got benched! And people who think City have been handed the league are crazy. They been fantastic against most systems and styles they have faced. There just better than anyone this season.

Really shocked Sterling got benched! And people who think City have been handed the league are crazy. They been fantastic against most systems and styles they have faced. There just better than anyone this season.

We have to be bad, and you have to play out your skin to win most of the time.. I expected/wanted Bernardo on the right, Gundogan just doesn't cut it.. make the pitch as big as **** against teams. So much more balanced in the 2nd half but it was already over. Chasing consolations at that point... All wrong from Pep.

Teams have tried every plan and if we're on it, we've beaten it. They were gash 1st half, an rightly got spanked.

Last edited:

Not handed the league - been best team undoubtedxly, I just agree with dilakh's point, that more teams really should of tried to take more from Klopp's approach against City.

So many teams I've seen this season who have just literally, sat deep, let City control everything in midfield, get thrashed as a result.

Then again there have been teams like Spurs who tried the same as last season, pressed high and got walloped by City themselves.

I think this a lot also, although for smaller teams this is hard to execute against City, a lot of them have not even tried.

Needless to say great win for Liverpool.
Fecking Bristol nearly done it and their in the Championship.

City made changes for changes sake and got battered for it. This is also the sixth time something like this has happened to pep in a knockout European game.

Not handed the league - been best team undoubtedxly, I just agree with dilakh's point, that more teams really should of tried to take more from Klopp's approach against City.

So many teams I've seen this season who have just literally, sat deep, let City control everything in midfield, get thrashed as a result.

Then again there have been teams like Spurs who tried the same as last season, pressed high and got walloped by City themselves.
I agree teams could try to be a bit more adventurous against them. But like you said Spurs tried and got walloped. Pep got it wrong tonight. Also not convinced by Kompany at the top level anymore.

Better teams than City have suffered Anfield Europe under the lights. It’s just what we do better than anyone. All the knobheads the media trying to down play it like we make this **** up. No matter how many times we rock the house down and turn another major side over, people never learn. When we’re on it, there’s NO place like it anywhere. The frigging floor the Kop was literally moving tonight everyone bouncing. THAT’S why you do it. Memories money can’t buy.

Superb from start to finish. Tie done first half. Let City have the ball second in a superb, European defensive display. Trent MOTM by a County mile. The times he did get caught out, Lovren was imperious covering. Robbo superb the other side and big Virge just being big Virge. The coolest MF on any pitch. Did Karius have a save to make all night? But yer know, we can’t defend as the B/S narrative still goes.

11 down. 4 to go. Those summer booked rooms Kiev are looking more and more astute by the passing game.

European Royalty. It’s what we do.

Would of been better than Gundogan and offered genuine width. They were loads better with him on the pitch.

He was *****. What did he do other than losing his head and getting booked for it? Robertson had him boxed off. Again. He can’t handle Anfield. Simple as.

Last edited:
City were better with Sterling, but much too little too late.

Also playing Laporte at left back. Just..why??

That's definitely one of Pep's main weaknesses, sometimes he over complicates things.

A lot of that lineup tonight was just bonkers really. Praise him when he gets it right, but by god last night, he had a howler.

Congrats, terrific result. Couldn't see it, as no Cypriot pub seemed to show it. Seen highlights though, looked mental.

This for me is why Sir Alex>Pep. Sir Alex himself underachieved in Europe, but I don't think he'd bottle to these levels. It's either magnificent or complete tragedy for Pep in Europe, rarely an in between.

That was Laporte LB? Huh. Thought I was watching Danilo haha.

Yeah, that one's mad. And Bernado Silva you'd of thought have been the right-sided attacker. (Anfield is the very last place you play Raheem. You just don't.)..

Those two were admittedly strange, big decisions. The rest the side was as you'd expect it. They just went under the unique, difference-making atmosphere of Anfield in Europe. They'd been building themselves up to be petrified from the outset ('destroyed' bus Pep yers exaggerating so and so. A few scalls webbed some cans when it turned by us but in the main it was just mad pyro and 'politely' telling them to do one. It was moving fine when it past for a bus that wants scrapping) and when it really came on top of them first half they followed through on that.

Congrats, terrific result. Couldn't see it, as no Cypriot pub seemed to show it. Seen highlights though, looked mental. .....

Ta la. Very magnanimous. It was absolutely mental. I was still buzzing off it half 2 this morning nowhere near sleep haha. Suffer for that later. The floor the Kop was literally vibrating and moving under your feet last night. And all 4 sides the ground were at it. Got in just after 7 and it was bouncing then.

The arl place can be like a morgue at times the league which makes this more frustrating, but you can't beat Anfield under the European lights when we're fully on it. Last night, EVERYONE was on it!

Enjoy Cyprus. Box off your friend when your back the next couple of weeks.

[FONT=&quot]Be WELL happy to see Mo NOWHERE near the ground made out of wood Sat'day dinner. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mad how Evertonians are working themselves up into their usual frenzy for their Cup Final. Whilst Liverpudlians couldn't be less arsed about a Derby in recent memory. Not even the biggest game of our week. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They're due a win. Wouldn't be a bad thing if they got it out the way against a weakened side. But even better if we do them with a changed team. Be bouncing regardless but even with a loss ..... meh, bigger fish to take care of.[/FONT]

Back