The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Eh, we've got a nice weeks gap before our next match, freshen up a few players. Should be fine even if a few players are a bit off it right now. Then a fortnight to freshen up before the final.

It's frustrating how we've done it, but we don't do anything easily.

..... Hopefully we get the job done next week. Still in our hands and if I was offered this scenario in August last year, would have taken it without a doubt! Lets get behind them and make sure the team finishes the job at Anfield next week. ..... !

Oh God yeah.

You'd of offered anyone the chance to secure CL for the second straight season, the first time in igh on a decade we've managed that, by beating Brighton, at home; and then go play for the biggest prize in football 2 weeks later they'd of taken that in a heartbeat the summer.

Madrid fans probably thinking the same watching your match yesterday.

What's the highest scoring European Cup final? Madrid's 7-3 over Eintracht?

Let's go top that. 6-5. You score. We score. You score. We score ..... And I'm only half being flip haha. This has everything to be a purists wet dream.

Eh, we've got a nice weeks gap before our next match, freshen up a few players. Should be fine even if a few players are a bit off it right now. Then a fortnight to freshen up before the final.

It's frustrating how we've done it, but we don't do anything easily.

Pretty much exactly how I treated yesterday. I hate Chelsea with a passion. (Everton and Utd are positively favourable in comparision personally.). But with the safeguard of an already safe Brighton, with their second worst away record and lowest away goals scored all year (a whopping NINE) to come at home; I really wasn't that arsed what happened yesterday still being on the massive high of what happened in Rome and going to yet another European Cup final. It was more frustrating than annoying as noted.

Hard to get mad right now with these lads and all they've achieved this year and the boss entertainemt and memories they've given us.

We'll be sound next Sunday. And then we're a game away from another European Cup.

Doesn't get ANY better than that mate.

..... I'm behind Liverpool for Sean.

I think you'll appreciate this really good read regarding the attack on your friend:

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/05/liverpool-and-as-roma-divided-by-history-united-in-supporting-sean-***/

BRILLIANT gesture and genuine, heartfelt feeling from Angelo Consoli and the people/ Council of Rome.

It's easy to forget that the Ultra's are just a small minority of Roma's following and the vast majority of Roman's are decent people just supporting their team. For all the natural apprehension prior to the game (this wasn't my first Rome rodeo and what happened to Sean the first leg just heightened what had gone before), I can't speak highly enough of the organisation from the Italian authorities this time around in ensuring our safety. They totally boxed off Rome and the main place they had us meeting for the busses up the ground. The only criticism would be the carnage getting in which took well over an hour outside down to scanners not working and the same checks and searches you'd just had 15 yards before. They still aren't set up to deal with large numbers arriving all at once.

I even think they purposefully lied about where we'd be dropped off the park after the match as a decoy to send the Ultra's one way whilst they bussed us straight back into town to the main railway station the centre. Which was perfect for us as our hotel was just around the corner and we'd organised a small bar/ pizzeria to stay open knowing e probably wouldn't be back until 1/2 AM ..... Leaving there at 7 AM when you've a train to catch a little over 2 hours later probably wasn't the best idea haha. But hey, getting to European Cup finals don't come around every year so you relish and celebrate every one like it's the last. The owner and staff were all Roma fans but they couldn't have been friendlier in the disappointment of their defeat and were sending out free pizzas to go along with the ale and vino being heartily consumed with his place full of merry Scousers. He was even begging to buy one of the boys flags to have on his wall and loved having his picture taken in front of it haha. Which was the theme of the afternoon in Rome. People couldn't have been friendlier when you went in somewhere and they found you were from L'pool.

A TOTALLY different picture from the pre-trip media sensationalist lies of 1,000 Scouse hoolies descending on Rome to rape, pillage and have it with anyone in their path. (Believe we had one arrest in Rome from someone the worse for wear through drink to go along with zero football-related arrests in Europe this year. Which surprises me on Seville, in particular, the abuse we got from their bizzies outside that ground. Way to do some investigative journalism before you put out the scaremongering sensationalism hey? Dickheads.).

You'll doubtless have seen Henderson, in what was one of the highlights of the night for me, take the Sean *** banner from the crowd in the awesomely mad celebrations after the final whistle and have the whole team honouring him with it. Classy, superb move from Jordan. But he's not a 'captain' and 'doesn't get Liverpool' as the (WHOLLY wrong) narrative goes.

A terrible shame what happened at Anfield to Sean underpinned the whole semi-final. But I can attest to there being genuine, heartfelt shame and sadness from the majority in Rome at the continued antics of the minority that shame them all.

Here's praying that Sean makes a jump the next three weeks and can at least watch the final with his family where he belongs. He's in a lot of peoples minds, not least the manager and players who'd openly like nothing better than to win this one for him.

Last edited:
Love that the manager's publicly slammed Salah for his dive Sunday. As opposed to the snidey Argentian **** at Tottenham openly condoning and encouraging his players to cheat.

paul joyce@_pauljoyceFollowFollow
@_pauljoyce​

More

Joe Gomez has had ankle surgery. Will miss CL final and probably World Cup as well. Sacrificed himself for Liverpool when playing in pain v West Brom and Stoke City.

3:59 am - 8 May 2018

Don't care for England in any way, shape or form (I shall mostly be rooting for Egypt this summer), but gutted for both Joe and ourselves as regards the further top-level experience/ development he'll miss the WC he was looking a shoo-in to go to. If not start given Southgates want for three CH's.

Need to either go all in on him partnering big Virge from the off next year or buy a reliable veteran to bridge a year until he gets the gig full time. Lovren, although sound as vet., experienced depth, was never the full-time answer.

Last edited:

Need to either go all in on him partnering big Virge from the off next year or buy a reliable veteran to bridge a year until he gets the gig full time. Lovren, although sound as vet., experienced depth, was never the full-time answer.

As u see Gomez main guy do U want to sell some or all guys - Lovren, Matip and Klavan?

As u see Gomez main guy do U want to sell some or all guys - Lovren, Matip and Klavan?

I'd be more than happy to see Matip binned out. He is what he is. A free transfer. And a very poor one too. Though he'll probably be retained.

Lovren's not half as bad as is made out and has looked far more solid alongside van Dijk on his natural right side as opposed to the left when he partners the woeful Matip. Not going to get much more experienced depth than he and Klaven. The problem comes when he's asked to start regularly. Always has a mistake in him to be relied on regularly. But a backup role suits him perfectly. Same Klaven. He's played way more than he ever should have down to a slew of injuries the past two years. And credit to him that he's performed real well in the main and not let anyone down. To have his veteran experience back to what he was signed for, 4th/5th in line, and him happy with it is another bonus. Fully behind the club looking to extend him another year.

I'd be more than happy to see Matip binned out. He is what he is. A free transfer. And a very poor one too. Though he'll probably be retained.

Can remember how hyped some people where about him. Class player only wanting to join Pool for free.

Can remember how hyped some people where about him. Class player only wanting to join Pool for free.

Mad thing was he was coming off a superb season in the Bundesliga where he was either leading or top 5 in most every defensive category. And by most German observers accounts, he was an absolute steal. Munich wanted him bad and he turned a contract down from them.

But it's proved to be the complete opposite. SUCH a frustrating player as he has all the tools. He just doesn't utilise them. Can't remember a CH who just isn't poor tackling. He positively shy's away from physical contact! Something most defenders relish. Made even more annoying as he should be completely dominant given his size. Get's bullied off the ball. Terrible the air for someone so big. And he's so laid back it's untrue. van Dijk's laid back but he's top drawer and backs it up. Matip is just lazy with it and plays himself and his teammates into trouble by his carelessness. He has you tearing your hair out when he strides forward. He's technically real good on the ball but he's so casual with it he might as well not bother most of the time as you know it's going nowhere.

He should be the prototypical, dominant, ball-playing centre-half and leader. But he's the furthest thing from that.

Last edited:
Statement on behalf of the family of Sean *** - Liverpool FC

Humble, dignified words from a family your heart goes out to.

Doesn't sound too good given they hoped to bring him out of the induced coma last Monday but hopefully it's just taking longer than expected.

Keep fighting mate. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
And relax.

That's as good as **** it top 4 clinched for the second successive season for the first time in almost a decade. Another MASSIVE step forward under what the mad German btard is building here before you even start on Kiev and the chance to have the best season of any club in Europe this season by winning another European big one.

All with the commonly perceived view of the weakest squad of the top 6 that's had a negative spend on it. And £140 plus million worth of what many would argue was their best player sold in January and not replaced.

Superb Redmen.

And superb Huddersfield. From no-hopers to another season at the top. To do it during this run-in ..... Man alive. Boys own stuff. Fantastic.

Last edited:
It is mad that Spurs is in it for 3 year now if not mistaken. They should get respect for that.
And scouse there is one game week left to go. Chelsea missed a change yesterday for CL, but the race is not over. Lets not forgot what Bolton did last weekend. PL Season ends with the final whistle.

It is mad that Spurs is in it for 3 year now if not mistaken. They should get respect for that.
And scouse there is one game week left to go. Chelsea missed a change yesterday for CL, but the race is not over. Lets not forgot what Bolton did last weekend. PL Season ends with the final whistle.
I think with Spurs squad they should be in the CL now every season it’s filled with quality. While Arsenal and Chelsea have been poor in the market for a few years now especially Arsenal!

I think with Spurs squad they should be in the CL now every season it’s filled with quality. While Arsenal and Chelsea have been poor in the market for a few years now especially Arsenal!

That could have been said to several teams that havent qualified to CL past years. Quality wise they are top 6 steam, teamwork and manager wise they are top4.

Arsenal has been arsenal... I would add United also into the poor mix also with Spurs. Ofcourse all transfers dont go well etc, but too many nowadays seems rushed not thinking ahead or just spent too much. And if you do this several seasons in a row, it shows how badly the transfers calls had been done. Also you need to consider manager and if he can make it work - if the player is even wanted by him.

Spurs wasted also a lot of **** money after Bale. They got some good guys after that first shopping, but we can still see some places money could have spent better: N'Jie, Sissoko(35mil...), Janssen, N'Koudou, Llorente.
Aurier and Lucas needs a full season more, but for now Aurier seems too often out of place and Trippier does better job than him.
They have quality but dont have that spark.

Under Kane you have Alli, Eriksen, Son, Lamela, Lucas, Sissoko. For full backs they have Rose/Davies, Aurier/Trippier.Cant play them all. Good quality back ups but the first team player should be higher quality.
I would sell, Sissoko, Lamela and Toby seems to go as well (So sad how he let down the team.). As underrated Dembele is, he is 31 in summer, final year in contract and should take the opportunity to get as much money.

If they play 3 at back or even 2, wonder how Eriksen could hold in the mid positsion as Wanyama would cover him. Explosive and goal hungry winger should be theyr top priority and decent back up for Kane.

It is hard to drop someone from they lineup, but some hard calls need be made.

. ..... And scouse there is one game week left to go. Chelsea missed a change yesterday for CL, but the race is not over. Lets not forgot what Bolton did last weekend. PL Season ends with the final whistle.

Oh, bar an absolute miracle from Brighton, it's done.

But you know what mate? In a hypothetical worse case scenario where we end up finishing 5th, I honestly couldn't be ****** at them. It'd be disappointing. No question. But it still wouldn't take away from the absolutely superb season and ridiculous memories they've given us this year as they've taken another big stride forward. All whilst still having that little affair in Kiev the 26th of the month to look forward to.

We're going to another European Cup final. Against Real F Madrid. With a serious chance to win the biggest prize there is. This **** doesn't happen every season.

Regardless of what happens Sunday, even if the worst case possible scenario happens, you just have to think of that and I dare any Red to not have a BIG **** proud smile all over their face!

This is what it's all about man. It doesn't get ANY better than that.

Anybody heard from the ballot?

No mate. We've a few lads hanging on that and as yet nottin'.

This is up: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/tickets/301647-champions-league-final-tickets-ballot-update

Well F-ing get on with it then L'pool and let people know!

As one just said .....

32290778_2308560752703805_2841532543214288896_n.jpg

*Edit* Mails been dropping the past hour or so. Hope you got lucky mate. The 5 lads our party without not so much. Just to add to a completely ***** day and more stress the next two weeks.

Last edited:
Talking Kiev (13 more sleeps!), a mixed couple of days.

Got the majority of our tickets sorted yesterday with a mix of the lowest two categories which people wanted. Happy to have a £61 one as F paying another £79 to be a little higher up the next category up. So just a few lads left relying on the ballot, touchwood, or madly going through every last contact in the hope of a spare. Sidenote: Final tickets, as expensive as thye are, CHEAPER than the semi-final in Rome! Something WHOLLY wrong there.

Then today received the dreaded mail so many have had already. The 6 £21 P/Night twins we had booked since last summer ..... had a mail this morning saying that they'd "reviewed the pricing in light of demand over the period you have booked"...... and are now offering us the £21 booked rooms for £600 P/Night. booking.com have been on it all day. And to be fair have been real good at prioritising it. But still waiting to hear if they've sorted it with the robbing Ukrainian bastards. Not too optimistic. Still, have a couple of 4 person apartments holding we could use the floor on but I expect the same there. Barely a room going for under a ******* grand a night and the cancellations on pre-booked ones from virtually everyone you know then being offered back at £500-1000 P/Night upwards is beyond scandalous.

But it's the 'Fans Final' right UEFA? That's why you put it over a weekend right? ..... And sent it to the furthest place possible to get to, with the highest priced tickets ever, with the usual **** poor allocation to both clubs, all in a City with nowhere near the infrastructure and rooms who are now exploiting the F out of everyone.

'Fans Final' my past white ****! UEFA shitbags.

Last edited:
That is seriously taking the ****, the hotels knew the CL final was taking place in the city months ago so why leave it to the last minute to change the price once the two finalists were known don't they realise fans would have still paid a premium for rooms 6 months ago on the off chance that their club will make it to the final you can't blame UEFA for that. However, Fair enough whinging about the ticket prices and allocation (that is UEFA's fault) but then it's hardly surprising considering the ticket pricing charges of certain Spanish Clubs and the lack of response by UEFA on that situation. UEFA and for that matter FIFA have always been **** on matters of allocation of tickets, pricing and locations, come to think about it the English FA is just as bad.

Back