The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I very rarely post of about Hillsborough, or Heysel, given their tragic nature, and because I know a couple on here were there both times, but this is absolutely searingly good read: https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/05/heysel-30-years-what-about-justice-for-the-39/

Rarely seen such self analysis on it

And they say we won't acknowledge/ talk about Heysel ..... All the other links the bottom of that piece are superb, if sombre, pieces too on a real dark day in our history.

Been throwing around bumping this today as I naturally don't like revisiting those still raw memories and talking about either tragedy too, but for anyone interested, I posted a personal account of that horrible day a couple of years ago on these here boards: #27293

I very rarely post of about Hillsborough, or Heysel, given their tragic nature, and because I know a couple on here were there both times, but this is absolutely searingly good read: https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/05/heysel-30-years-what-about-justice-for-the-39/

Rarely seen such self analysis on it

I think it's a silly piece. While obviously the blame ultimately falls on people who started the fight, you can't just handwave the organizational issues the way this guy does. There were warnings already before the game that Heysel is in poor technical condition and that ticket structure will result in Juve fans getting tickets on the 2nd-hand market only to end up squeezed near the Pool sectors. And when you have opposing fans in direct contact, all it takes is one idiot for the fighting to start.

I'm a bit late to the party on our first signing of the summer but for anyone interested .....

So, after landing at Doncaster at half 9 Monday evening (don't ask. Good, cheap route home), and everyone's moby's going mad when they were switched back on with the breaking news that hour that Fabinho had signed, after the initial, excited surprise picking everyone up after the frustrating disappointment of last Saturday evening, the next question was 'who?' from virtually every Red on the plane. Myself pretty much included. I knew of him. Not least from on here and the Utd thread this time last summer when many in there were getting super excited (Waves to ToD :) ) thinking they were signing him. Along with remembering the Monaco owner and manager steadfastly refusing to sell him at any coast whilst every other member of the squad was available for the right price it seemed. But I honestly had little idea of how good or what sort of a player he was having never watched him.

So, after reading what a boss signing L'pool had made from most everyone, opposition fans included, curiosity got the better of me. Not least as I never in a million years thought Klopp would sign someone who I was reading was an ostensive DM. And I spent the last two nights rewatching Monaco's last 16 CL game against Pep's City from 2016-17. *Sidenote- Hard to find now on the net but 2 brilliant games of pure, attacking football from both sides.

Seemed as good a tie to as any to gauge him on the biggest stage of all against one of the best sides in World football at present to see if the hype stacked up .....

..... NOW I see why he's been so highly coveted by so many major clubs! This lad is a really, really good footballer. The ideal combination of ability and athleticism with super football intelligence to make him the perfect fit for how Klopp's L'pool view the #6 role. He was up against a midfield of Toure/ Fernandinho, De Bruyne and Silva, and a front three of Sané, Augero and Sterling those two games and was the best player of any of them the park both games. Particularly the second game in Monaco. He played alongside Bakayoko in a deeper 2 at City. And was the deepest midfielder at home with Bakayoko a little more advanced. Scoring 1 and assisting 2 of Monaco's 6 goals over the two games. Not only is he strong and quick, but he's technically great as well as you'd expect from a Brazilian with great touch and passing range. Everything good Monaco did (and they did a LOT of good) most all started from him as he dictated the pace of their play. He get's forward and supports the attack well (he's a noteable web on him from distance), but it's at the other end he excels. Taking up some superb defensive position's and cleanly tackling anyone trying to go past him. Starting out as a RB seems to have given him a real good appreciation of others positions as he was consistently filling in and covering when Sidibé bombed on down the right or one of the CH's or other midfielder pushed up.

I've watched a lot of Napoli this past year. Heck of an exciting side to watch. But mainly for another Brazilian in a similar role. Jorginho. Who it turns out L'pool used as a complete smokescreen for Fabinho who by all accounts they've been working on all season long on the quiet. And as great a player as Jorginho is, and as made up as I'd have been with him, I think for ourselves and what we need, we're getting the better player here down to his better tackling/ physicality. (He's 6'2 compared to the soon to be City guy at 5'11. And it shows.). Plus he's a couple of years Jorginho's junior too for a very similar price. City are (soon to be) getting an excellent addition who's the perfect fit for them. Whilst we're getting an excellent addition who's the perfect fit for us and who'll compliment Naby, Fekir and co as we take this on to the next level.

Love the fact he was Monaco's vice-captain too which speaks highly of him. Their most important player and a real leader at 24. Along with his almost flawless penalty record. The more opportunity's for goals from midfield the better.

Kudos to Edwards for another superb piece of business of a highly sought after player conducted in stealth like brilliance. Him not being in the Brazilian squad the WC is just the icing on the cake to get a full, proper pre-season in.

Seriously excited having watched him dominate City in Europe. A proper defensive #6 who can't half play with it.

Made up for Grujić making the Serbia 23 for the WC.

Like Trent, boss experience for both him and us as regards his continued development.

Wonder if they'll be anything doing Cardiff on loan again the PL next year? Certainly a talented, physical player in there.

Not normally into player signing video's but this grabbed me down to all the medical stuff these multi-million-pound investments have to go through now.

[video=youtube;LRy9h3i9SLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=LRy9h3i9SLM[/video]

Made up for Grujić making the Serbia 23 for the WC.

Like Trent, boss experience for both him and us as regards his continued development.

Wonder if they'll be anything doing Cardiff on loan again the PL next year? Certainly a talented, physical player in there.
He won't make it with us. Apparently has an attitude problem and doesn't work hard enough. Was more miss than hit on his loan spell at Cardiff and as soon as he had played the required number of games of his loan, he never played for them again in their promotion push.

He won't make it with us. Apparently has an attitude problem and doesn't work hard enough. Was more miss than hit on his loan spell at Cardiff and as soon as he had played the required number of games of his loan, he never played for them again in their promotion push.

I'll take that bet.

Not sure what you've been reading but Warnock has done nottin' but gush about him his time at Cardiff and there's a lot out there from local journo's and fans doing the same. The same with Critchley the U-23's with us and Klopp on record numerous times as to how highly he rates him.

Last edited:

I've only heard good things about him, like Scouse. Where have you read this?

I've only heard good things about him, like Scouse. Where have you read this?
General talk on other forums plus the fact that Warnock said he needs to try harder in training. Also the moment he hit the required amount of games he was never used in the first team. Even Jurgen himself said he needs to work harder and cut the lazy parts of his game. Trust me he wont make it here, was never the right move for him in the first place. Midfield and forward positions are extremely hard to break through for youngsters unless theres an injury crisis etc...

Back