The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Made up for Andy Robbo being the new permy Scotland captain. Seems a really nice lad:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1036579666289668096
p

Mad to think of all the fume last summer when he arrived on what was in effect a freebie from Hull. To now being widely recognised as one of the top LB’s in the PL with his mega consistent performances both ends the park, home and abroad, since he got the gig full time last October/ November.

We were discussing this earlier. That’s what, Robbo, van Dijk, Keita, Big Shaq all captains of their Country. Along with Klavan being the Estonian captain when Klopp signed him. Grujic captaining the biggest club in his Country to a league title as a teenager. Gini the same with PSV in Holland.

For a club with a ‘perceived’ lack of leaders, we sure are prioritising leadership in our recruitment.

Talking captains, with another nod to dilakh, absolutely made up to see Jordan Henderson extend for another 5 years today. That only really leaves Sadio and Trent left out of the squad but with both having 3 years left on their current deals, no rush there. Great security going forward the next 5 years or so at least to have everyone nailed down long term with no pesky release clauses.

Thoroughly deserved for a tremendous servant and vitally important player not just on the pitch with his vast experience but more so in the changies as a proper leader with the respect and plove he has from the rest of the lads. Really can’t be understated at all just what Jordan brings off the pitch and how integral he is to the whole dynamic of a squad as closely knit as this one is. Completely embodies the hard work/ top character ethos that Klopps worked so hard to instill right through the football club.

Here’s to you lifting many pieces of silverware going forward skip! Our time is just beginning again.

Made up for Andy Robbo being the new permy Scotland captain. Seems a really nice lad:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1036579666289668096
p

Mad to think of all the fume last summer when he arrived on what was in effect a freebie from Hull. To now being widely recognised as one of the top LB’s in the PL with his mega consistent performances both ends the park, home and abroad, since he got the gig full time last October/ November.

We were discussing this earlier. That’s what, Robbo, van Dijk, Keita, Big Shaq all captains of their Country. Along with Klavan being the Estonian captain when Klopp signed him. Grujic captaining the biggest club in his Country to a league title as a teenager. Gini the same with PSV in Holland.

For a club with a ‘perceived’ lack of leaders, we sure are prioritising leadership in our recruitment.

Lichsteiner is the Swiss team captain not shaqiri who has never looked like much of a leader in his career. Xhaka is considered the favourite to replace him whenever that comes

Lichsteiner is the Swiss team captain not shaqiri who has never looked like much of a leader in his career. Xhaka is considered the favourite to replace him whenever that comes

Is he not? Honestly thought he was. My mistake.

Interestingly, on the ‘never looked like much of a leader in his career’ line. That would appear to be a really false media narrative surrounding him. (And a bizarrely bitter Charlie Adam but that’s another story.).

I was of the same opinion of him at Stoke. Criticised him on these here pages for similar. Then we signed him and there was some brilliantly in-depth content put out (TAW in particular I seem to recal) from a host of former team-mates/ coaches/ Swiss scouts/ club media guys et all. And the one thing that kept being repeated, and stood out as it flew in the face of the common view on him, was just how well liked and respected he was in every dressing room through his career. Club and Nationaly. And how he was a real leader the changies through that respect. Totally flying in the face of how he’s portrayed yer know?

And on the evidence to date at L’pool, this sullen, insular, ‘me first’ player that isn’t a worker (who’d never fit under Klopp), and would take his bat and ball home the first time he wasn’t starting; has been the complete polar opposite as he’s fit straight in on every facet demanded and been the consummate, hard working professional.

Really does seem a case of a false media narrative, along with him never being the best working back defensively, getting not the public conscience to paint a misguided perception of the character he actually isn’t.

Topical piece for the International break from last week, after Mo’s 4 heartfelt video messages, as to the whole gravity of the mess with him being used as a political **** by the Egyptian Government/ FA and him just wanting to protect his private life out of the limelight and do what he believes in.

Well researched and informative from Si Hughes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ypt-fa-aboutrika-president-sisi-a8511246.html

I see Lallana got himself injured again. Honestly just as injury prone as Daniel.

..... Worth noting on the Allison stat that from my viewing of it, the Serie A don't press half as much, so Allison might find himself in a few more sticky situations this season if that's how much he trusts his ability vs. pressing attackers. Vardy in the 2nd fixture, Shane Long, etc.

I think he’s more laid back than van Dijk

‘I’m Brazilian mate and I’m better than you.’

R goalies boss!

https://mobile.twitter.com/HS_10Ftbol/status/1036918178687811584

Last edited:
Well this is the very LAST thing I thought I’d EVER be talking about/ posting on ....

A fascinating and real informative read on L’pool’s new Danish THROW-IN COACH!!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45405476?__twitter_impression=true

Who knew there was so much into taking a throw-in? :O

Another example of how uber professional the modern game has gotten with no stone left unturned to gain the smallest advantage with all the ridiculous financial rewards at play.

Well this is the very LAST thing I thought I’d EVER be talking about/ posting on ....

A fascinating and real informative read on L’pool’s new Danish THROW-IN COACH!!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45405476?__twitter_impression=true

Who knew there was so much into taking a throw-in? :O

Another example of how uber professional the modern game has gotten with no stone left unturned to gain the smallest advantage with all the ridiculous financial rewards at play.

On long throws in general I can’t believe more teams don’t use them. I played on a team for a few seasons with a guy who was great at them and they caused chaos every time we got a throw in as teams don’t really prepare to defend them. They really were wicked as well low and flat so they just needed a touch, they always worked best the first time though when we loaded up the box and they refused to believe he would be able to get the ball into the box, but even when they knew it was coming the struggled to defend them. The speed and flatness on them made it hard to do anything but flick them goalwards even when trying to defend them, even in practice we struggled to get them clear despite working on it a lot

Doesn't change the fact he is injury prone and is probably off next summer whilst we can still get a decent fee for him.

Given the update news of the last 24 hours and a very encouraging TAW talk to the Paris journo who broke that, we would appear to be stealing a march on everyone for Rabiot to replace him.

Given the update news of the last 24 hours and a very encouraging TAW talk to the Paris journo who broke that, we would appear to be stealing a march on everyone for Rabiot to replace him.
Yep nothing against Lallana but the teams moved on from him. Apart from the first 6 months of the season before last he has been meh to the say the least and we need to be ruthless if we want to compete with Europes best.

Well there was Barcelona. But PSG flat out refused to sell.

Didn’t want to lose another Parisian home-grown but he’s thus far no interest in staying whatever they throw at him.

Well there was Barcelona. But PSG flat out refused to sell.

Didn’t want to lose another Parisian home-grown but he’s thus far no interest in staying whatever they throw at him.
He is a bit of diva what with the whole France national team fiasco. Missed out on a winners medal all because of a refusal to play defensive mid and then threw a hissy fit when he was placed on the standby squad.

Back