The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
3rd excellent, and free, audio documentary epic in TAW’s ‘Moment’s In Time’ series that’s a MUST listen for any Red. This one on the 2001 FA Cup daylight robbery ..... uhmm, sorry, victory over Arsenal. (Some excellent perspective and insight that might well appeal to Arsenal fans too from both Lee Dixon and Amy Lawrence. Who both wrote Henry’s book and did the recent ‘89 film, on how it still haunts Thierry to this day and drove him on to even greater heights.).

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/09/2001-fa-cup-final-liverpool-arsenal/

So many boss memory’s from not only one of my favourite ever days the match, with one of the maddest celebrations ever in my favourite European ground. (Does Cardiff/ Wales count as ‘European?’ Meh, whatever it is it ****** all over the soulless mess that is Wembley.). But the single best week I’ve ever had as a football supporter as we not only wrapped up our second treble but returned to the CL to boot. It was literally travel, mad bevvy, match, mad celebration party, sleep. Travel, mad bevvy, match, mad celebration party, sleep. Travel, mad bevvy, match, mad celebration party, sleep. Sat’day to Sat’day. 3 different Countries. 3 finals. 2 for trophies. 1 for 3rd and the final CL spot. 2 trophies and 1 treble won. The memory’s and stories that came out of those 8 days will last a lifetime.

2001 gets madly overlooked in our storied history for me. Absolutely superb time to be a Red with the best group of players we’ve had the last 20 years before the current crop. Heck of a lot to thank Houllier for.

I’m banking. But a great listen on the Michael Owen Cup Final.’

To round out the International teadium, a really well written piece on how politics influences football supporters.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/...ey-say-how-football-banter-is-self-defeating/

Which goes a long way to explaining why I, like many others here, feel totally disenfranchised from the rest of the Country and why I have absolutely zero interest in forgetting everything to come together as one behind the National team.

So happy the first International break is over and we can get back to ‘proper’ footy again.

And what a jaw droppingly exciting run of games to come back to the 7 games before the next International break:

A. Tottenham.
H. PSG- CL
H. Southampton.
H. Chelsea- LC.
A. Chelsea.
A. Napoli- CL.
H. City.

The Southampton outlier aside, I honesty can’t remember the last time we such a run of awesome fixtures against top sides back-to-back.

Thats what you live for as a fan and why you do it.

Unless my maths is wrong, we come out of this next group of 4 fixtures with 8 points, at worst we’ll be level with City.

2 wins and 2 draws minimum to be at worst level with the main challengers 8 games in.

How F boss would that be given our first 8 games compared to theirs?

That’s Gary Neville classily put back in his box.

Sack off the Champions League ..... Silly *******.

Ok. Start of rhis mouthwatering run of fixtures that makes you glad to be alive as a fan.

And with Cardiff at Chelsea, Leeds down at Millwall, and Utd at Watford this tea-time, I’m even more happy I hate the ____hole that is Wembley that much to have swerved this one. Potential for some serious ‘fun and games’ round Euston with that perfect storm.

So reasuring of the great depth now that we can flip the captain for a top player like Naby to start this run.

Surprising bonus that Winks starts for the first time in months for them. Fully expected Lamela to come in for Ali.

Just about the only positove of the horrible Sat’day dinner kick-off is the chance to keep the pressure right on top of City before they play. Which I fully expect given our overall record against Tottenham. We owe these after last seasons exception to that norm results.

Into this cheating shower of _____ Redmen!

What's up with Salah and Mane? Its like they don't want to see the other one succeed lately. Ignoring one another when the other one is clearly in a better position. Have noticed it a few times over the last few months, but way more evident this season.

What's up with Salah and Mane? Its like they don't want to see the other one succeed lately. Ignoring one another when the other one is clearly in a better position. Have noticed it a few times over the last few months, but way more evident this season.

If your talking about the chance were he slipped in Keita instead of Salah. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt that he wants to see his friend get his first lfc goal.

Played 5. Won 5 11 of our goals scored to 2 of theirs.

And nowhere near hitting top form with still a LOT of improvement to come. Like a £43 million top drawer Brazilian who’s yet to see a second of play.

Over to City. Theae lads are going NOWHERE!

Up the perfect Reds!

Liverpool should have scored a few more and in the end fortunate Oliver missed the stone cold penalty at the end of the match.

Liverpool should have scored a few more and in the end fortunate Oliver missed the stone cold penalty at the end of the match.

Mane on Son at the end? Quite possibly. But them Karma’s a ***** after their 2 joke penos at Anfield last year so no bleeding heart for Tottenham here. ;)

Surprissd how easy that was from the tough return after the break yuu were expecting. Still nowhere near our best but utterly bossed that game with a very flattering final scoreline on Tottenham.

If your talking about the chance were he slipped in Keita instead of Salah. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt that he wants to see his friend get his first lfc goal.

Talking about a few occasions in which Salah or Mane has had better options on (a lot of the time being the other one) and either going for the wrong option (which sees the other one not get the ball in favour of a team-mate) or going themselves. I remember Mane did it last season too, one that was completely inexcusable in which he should've squared Salah, but it didn't happen often, don't think I saw it again. This season I've seen it a few times already, commentators noted it once or twice as well.

A lot of the time you just put it down to "ah, forwards are greedy, it's the nature of the game" but it's just those guys have been known and praised for their unselfishness. Could be a few egos and "I want to do better than you this season" at play, Klopp might well want to have a little word and reiterate it's a team game. He looked frustrated about it on the sideline too, especially at the end when Salah should've squared Sturridge. In the position you're in now, decent crack at a title fight, everyone needs to be playing for the other man. If that involves you increasing the chances of scoring by 10/20/50% by squaring it to your partner, then that's what you do, that's what Liverpool have always done in Klopp's time.

Meh, I don’t think theres any ego issues there. Those three are a closeknit group to themselves within the group. No concerns on that score.

Mo was greedy today as he has been already this season but I put that soley down to him being a goalscorer (who may as well be a striker) and doing what centre forwards do. Hes just off form and trying to get himself going I’d guess.

Even though they’ve all scored and contributed every game, all three have been off it this year. Which just brings home again what another big leap in progression the team has made to not have to worry when the front three aren’t fully in synch and firing to win games.

Whilst safe in the knowledge that we have well arguably the best fromt three in Europe so when they do all click, on top of the solid base behind them, God help everyone else!

Last edited:
One weakness and a weakness of Klopp in general is his bizarre substitutions. Why change the back four every time we concede a goal towards the end. All it does is invite pressure.

One weakness and a weakness of Klopp in general is his bizarre substitutions. Why change the back four every time we concede a goal towards the end. All it does is invite pressure.

To be fair the back 4 was changed before Lamela scored today.

Though I agree, Klopp is not the best with substitutions. I remember the City game last season at Anfield. We were 4-1 up and he brought on Milner to shield the back 4 and we conceded 2 goals, down to mistakes as nobody knew who was picking whom.

On todays game; should have been out of sight. Simple as that. My only worry post the result is Firmino. Having suffered an eye injury myself; it did not look good. Hopefullty it not serious...

Great to wake up still buzzing from yesterday and the latest statement game from this serious gang of Reds.

Tottenham are ‘supposed’ to be one of rivals! Comprehensivly bossed and outclassed in every single facet of the game. On their own patch. From a Reds team still nowhere near their imperious best. But a special L’pool team 100% better than a ‘Spurs team brushed aside with consumate ease.

Perfect start to the welcome return of our European playground this week.

As if City needed reminding, this sesson .....

It’s ON!

Back