The Liverpool Thread

And then again you can argue that this isn't one of the strongest ever seasons because you have 2 clubs so much better than everyone else, that it raises the question are they really this good or just simply other teams are bad?

In 2007-2008 you had top 3 clubs all above 80 points ( 87, 85, 83) and even 4th was close with 76 points. And you had 3 out of 4 clubs in semi finals of the Champions league, with English final.

Just because numbers are inflated now, doesn't mean Chelsea weren't doing unprecedented things since 2003. They spent 3 times as much in their first season as Manchester United. Then twice as much the following two seasons. Then again 3 times as much. They've spent over 200m in first 5 years of Abramovich. No one did that before.

Anyway, related to the weekend, I’m pretty **** disappointed with Liverpool over the bus parade Sunday. Which happens to fall upon one of the darkest days in our history. May 29th, 1985 and the tragic events at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels.

I understand the reasons why.

But I’m totally against this and I’m no less disappointed personally. Not having a parade. That needs to happen regardless. We’ve two trophies in the bag already that need parading. Let alone missing out last time through the pandemic. But the date is what doesn't sit right at all.

Liverpool, the Council and everyone else involved just haven’t read the room at all for me. At best, to be having a massive party and be seen to be celebrating on the day 39 deaths are being mourned, that we played a massive part in, is a terrible look. At worst, it’s completely crass and insensitive. (And the club holding its own remembrance in the morning doesn't negate from that.).

It would be like Forest having a party on the 15th. I’d be disgusted and calling them all sorts with that. I’d expect nothing more from Turin and further afield Sunday.

I’m normally gutted to miss the parade after a European Final as we’re still away. As we are this Sunday in Paris. That just is what it is. And I get the issues with finding a date this year with International's et al.

But holding it on May 29th just doesn’t sit at all right with me personally and is a terrible look to send around the World.

Although all that said, why we are even having a parade when we’ll never know the highest of highs of staying up with a game to go heck only knows? 🤷🏼‍♂️

1653646061822.png

Currently having a bevvy in Leeds/ Bradford in readiness for a midday flight to the 'Dam, then onto Gay Paree for what will be my 7th European Cup Final. Which all just humbles you and reminds you how exceptionally lucky and privileged you are to have been born a Red and follow this ridiculous behemoth of a football club.

And Gods honest, I'm buzzing as much if not more for this one as I was when I was a wide eyed 11-year-old my first in '84. (Luck of a dad who worked for BR and got cheap rail travel. Although given the ferocity of the violence after, I think still the most frightening day of my life in that regard, that starts what happened a year later sadly in many ways, 'luck' may not be the best verb to use. But that's another story.).

It doesn't get ANY bigger than this. The single biggest game in football. For the single biggest prize.

Guardiola might, rightly, class City as PL ‘Legends' after yet another title. And the City fans may naturally think the same. But then they've never experienced what it feels like to be champions of a whole Continent!

*Sings ’How would you like to be, a Scouser in Gay Paree
Walking along by the banks of the Seine
Winning the European Cup once again ….. ‘

Last edited:
Gutted ngl moments like this shows the fine margins of football. Sucker punched and then game over with how experienced this Madrid side are. Ahh man this one will hurt for real.

One of those games where you could smell how it was gonna end since the start.
Yep. Real had the perfect gameplan. Stay in the game and get that sucker punch goal. Once they scored I knew it was a wrap. They are the masters of slowing the game down and the dark arts.

I don’t normally post through a euro away trip. For one, I hate typing on my moby as regular readers will know I’m not laconic when I start. Haha. And the last thing I want to be doing is typing my wham when I’m on ‘holiday.’

But I’m just that lost and in bits after tonight it seems the appropriate time. And not at losing the game. That was a complete, non event sideshow. The match honestly doesn’t matter. But the absolute disgrace and lack of ANY organisation before the game. There’s going to be a lot of ***** written and spoken blaming ’those Scousers again! ‘in the coming days. Its already started from UEFA and the French authorities with their lies to shift the blame. But nothing could be further from the truth.

We got to the ground around half 6 tonight. For a game that wasn’t scheduled to kick off until 9. And the lack of ANY organisation after the first check point was immediately apparent around the turnstiles. The disorganised queue was lengthy at that time. And wasn’t moving. All leading to ONE small gete that led through to the actual turnstiles. And, naturally, the longer you were in it, the more congested it got. There wasn’t ONE steward or police outside to organise the building mass. And I won’t lie. It was scary as F. And I was personally really struggling ….. I’ve deleted this 5 times now as I’m struggling to convey my feelings ….. I was getting flashbacks to Sheffield. And I couldn’t get out as you were stuck in the throng. Panic doesn’t begin to describe the emotions but you have to hold it together for everyone elses sake around you. And when you have a crowd like that, frustrated, with the kick off fast approaching (we were still outside going on an hour and a half after starting to queue), people start vocally letting their annoyance be heard.

So you’ve one small gate to funnel people in, which was almost constantly shut (admittedly ____heads with jarg tickets didn’t help that situation as the gate was constantly being shut as they got lashed out), a mass build up of people trying to get through the one small gate, and NO police or stewards controlling that build up. And then, just to add to the fun, out of nowhere, and I still don’t know where it came from (presumably from the Police inside the outer cordon of the ground we were trying to get through to) we got teargassed. Not once. Which would have been disgraceful enough. But THREE separate times. Now I don’t know if anyones experienced that, but I can tell you first hand its not F nice! And when you can’t disperse from it, its even worse. Lads were throwing up on the 2nd/ 3rd wave of it.

I eventually got through into the ground 20 minutes before the original scheduled KO. Over TWO hours after I started queuing. Separated from mates who eventually made it in. I was a complete emotional mess. I won’t dwell on this as I struggle to talk about Sheffield at the beat of times. But I thought I was back there. The game was just a non event as my head was in bits. Even after I’d composed myself.

This probably sounds dramatic, and maybe incoherent as I’m rambling on a phone, but thats honestly the worst experience I’ve had in decades at a game where the lack of any and all organisation/ consideration of public safety/ crowd control et al, was astounding. There but for grace of God there wasn’t a SERIOUS incident. And that was only through our own fans self policing each other and calming people down the more naturally
annoyed and frustrated they got.

This isn’t some backward Country we are talking about. This is the capital of France. In a stadium regularly used for major football/ rugby games. But here we are again. With a complete lack official accountability and the blame being spun onto football supporters.

I currently feel like I just can’t be arsed with this any more. Being treated like absolute low life **** just because I happen to want to support my team abroad. I mean this was the biggest football game on the planet for F’s sake! Just HOW can this continue to be happening?

Oh, and just for good measure, the French police turned up at the end of the game in full riot gear looking like Robocop, and teargassed us again going out! I missed that one as I stayed to applaud every last one of our magnificent team off the park at the end. But a few mates didn’t and walked straight into that.

UEFA and the French authorities can politely go F themselves for the absolutely despicable treatment of hard working people who paid a small.fortune to be at their showpiece game tonight. But hey, it’s just them Scousers at it again and the lies will stick with the majority around the Country.

This is supposed to be the pinnacle supporting your side but I’m tuning out for a while as I need to forget football and tonights events or else I will fall apart with the memories tonights carnage invoked.

Was waiting for you to come through with something Scouse, thank god you did. At times like this the game doesn't even matter and sifting through the accounts of the bs that happened outside the stadium im just glad that no one got seriously hurt because this couldve easily been avoided. Get home safe Scouse to you and all the others out there.

Il Liverpool ricorda. Dio riposa. 🙏🏻❤️

I don’t personally agree with a celebratory parade on this dark date in our history we played our part in.

But honestly, after the despicable, and VERY scary way we were treated like sub-humans yesterday, football can completely do one right now.

37 years on and they’ve STILL learned NOTHING.

******* ****, that's terrible. Imagine hosting one of the biggest events in sport and failing to do the basics right. Like Scouse said, its freaking Paris, not some village in Cambodia. And those turtled security is more than encouraged to be trigger-happy than to try to help people who are struggling.

Hope you all get a good, deserved rest without thinking of football for a while.