The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
The 21's loans keep on coming-

Curious one this with new Crawley manager Kevin Betsy being his England coach at U16/17/18. He's developed well since we nicked him back from City but I still don't know what his best position is being as he's played wide/ deeper in midfield/ attacking midfield/ box-to-box do it all 8. (Not that positional versatility is a bad thing under Jürgen at all. It'd just be good to see him consistently in one.). He's certainly got the physical attributes and adapted well to the step up to 23's togger last year.

I like that they've given him his first contact extension before sending him out too. He's always been heavily touted within Kirkby and committing to his long-term development attests to that.

Betsy clearly likes and trusts him so it'll be interesting to see if he nails down a position down South.

League Two football for an 18-tear-old will certainly be a sharp learning curve in his development.

Last edited:
The 21’s loan exodus continues at pace-

Seems to be how we view goalies loan development by throwing them out first to a lower tier club and work from there.

Have to say, of all our talent at the position, I haven’t really been impressed by the young Brazilian who’s struggled for consistency.

But they seem to really rate him and are far better judges than I will ever be so all the best to him.

It’ll be a fast learning curve and really toughen him up down at Macs level.

1656750740514.png

Congrats to Jarell, Luke Chambers, Harvey Davies and all your compadres. Really good final to top off a really fun tournament to watch which has been superb development experience.

I thought Jarell and the Villa lad Chukwuemeka, who's arguably been the player of the tournament, were head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch tonight. Shout out to Quansah's CH partner Edwards too from Peterborough who's had a superb tournament.

Enjoy a well earned break boys and we'll see you back in Kirkby as European Champions later in the summer.

Last edited:
Didn't even get a chance to be sad about Mane being off. Love Mane but he's time had come, that deadly acceleration from a standing position (one of the best I've ever seen) had gone since he's covid downturn. The move to the middle suited him but I guess Klopp has taken a leaf out of Paisley book and knows when it's time to wish someone well and look to the future.

Nice to see Salah getting that 80% wage increase. One era ends, the other begins. And the third continues.

The surprising thing to me, if they'd been taken note of how we've grown and continued to increase expenditure within our means, season-on-season, as profits continue to rise, has been the reaction on SM in particular that folk are, well, surprised by those figures.

I think this summer continues to show, as much as anything, the continued evolution of the owners as the brand and finances continue to grow to levels unheard of in our storied history.

Most expensive ever LFC signing. ✅
Most expensive ever LFC contract. ✅

But all still within our budget and coming out of what WE generate as we continue to grow at an exponential rate to unprecedented levels of wealth for this football club. Whilst still remaining self sufficient. The wage structure has been steadily increasing year-on-year as we've got more and more successful. And it will now increase again to another level. Not to PSG/ Madrid etc stupid silly levels. But all within a reasonable level, within our means, allowing the club to compete with/ for the very best. Doing it our way.

If there's a better run football club currently, in EVERY aspect, on this planet, I'd honestly love to know about it.

The owners don’t get everything right, but they **** well know the business of sports. The most impressive bit for me is the growth to this position, achieved in a sustainable way building the infrastructure and being patient over time. You could point to a small handful of other clubs that are well run in terms of achieving success in a financially responsible way, but none (certainly that I can think of) in the modern era that are or have grown their finances through success and super smart transfer dealings in the same way and to the same level as Liverpool under FSG. (From an initial £300 million investment to now worth what, well over £4 billion.).

And being as we are the jewell in Fenway's crown, that they can leverage to continue to grow their portfolio, and, in turn, continue to maximise our potential and finances, they are, much to the consternation of those still madly against them I'm sure, going NOWHERE for a VERY long time to come yet.

Last edited:
You simply have to. To keep the best players you need to pay them accordingly. Salah had every right to ask to be among the highest paid footballers.

As Liverpool continue to be sucessfull, their wage structure will increase. Its a trend at every top club.

Also keep in mind that now you 'broke the record' with Salah, more players will feel entitled to higher salary, so you might expect a bit more 'unsettled' stories in the news. It comes with the territory.

Last edited:
I think if they'd put him on double or more of Virgil and co's salary, you'd quite conceivably get that. But they've pitched him just about perfectly to allow increase in other key players salaries when their deals are up over the next 3 years. We are still heavily bonus incentified (Sp? My brains not working without coffee haha) to success. As Mo's contract is. So the more personal success he has, the more it benefits everyone else in the squad.

The levels have risen again. But not to super silly levels outside our means and squad harmony.

And they could just as quickly fall if the success dropped off. I think 'flexible wage structure within our means' is the best way to term it.

*Edit* Incentivised. That's the word haha. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Here we go again.

5 weeks, 2 days after the horrifically traumatic events of Paris, and players unbelievably being required to play International friendlies after that (4 games in 10 day in many cases), 'proper' football is back and our 2022/ 23 season is underway.

With the CS curtain raiser just 3 weeks this Saturday. 'Easy' life being a pro-footballer aye?

The long, hard slog to (hopefully) the quintet starts today!

Back