The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not defending the English side or the state of the youngsters coming through, but Spain took the best team they could have... England, however, didnt.

I would have liked to seen the English side with the likes of Wilshere, Sterling, Ox, Jones, Smalling, Welbeck ETC...

Still the point is a completely valid one, but its a shame we didn't take the squad we 'should' have

Not defending the English side or the state of the youngsters coming through, but Spain took the best team they could have... England, however, didnt.

I would have liked to seen the English side with the likes of Wilshere, Sterling, Ox, Jones, Smalling, Welbeck ETC...

Still the point is a completely valid one, but its a shame we didn't take the squad we 'should' have

Oh I'm not defending the under 21s. what happened with them is actually demonstrating the issue we have.

But yes, Jones and Ox should have played, think all of the other 4 were injured to be fair though. Though I expect they would all have been in the senior side if fit, so your point still stands.

Oddly enough, Tiago Ilori was born in London, so technically Liverpool are getting their hands on "english talent". Not home grown, but English nonetheless.

Oddly enough, Tiago Ilori was born in London, so technically Liverpool are getting their hands on "english talent". Not home grown, but English nonetheless.

Very strange turn isnt it? But as the article states at the top, it's all about the concept.

Why do people have this idea that because teams buy foreign players, our England squad is poor? Our England squad is poor because England are a poor international side! We have been ever since the country pulled it's head out of it's **** and decided we would compete in the World Cup (with the exception of '66).

Having said that, with the exception of United & Liverpool, most of the home-grown talent in the past 20 years has come from smaller clubs; West Ham, Southampton, Crewe, Crystal Palace etc. this is because those clubs give their players the freedom to play first team football, and that is massive. There is a huge problem with getting younger players to play competitive matches in this country, and the fault is probably down to Sky. In building the richest league in the world, you will undoubtedly decrease the quality of your national side, it's a necessary casualty that comes with selling out.

I'm not entirely sure why Liverpool are the target for this article though?.. I mean, I know there is nothing specificly condemning aimed towards us but the fact of the matter is, Ilori isn't a Liverpool player. Not to mention the fact we are one of a very small percentage of "big" English clubs who are willing to try out young English players; Sterling, Wisdom, Robinson, Shelvey, Henderson etc. Also, I don't see the problem with Ilori only playing 20 "competitive" matches, Ronaldo had only played 25 games before United signed him... Although that's somehow different?

But yeah, it's an article that makes a lot of good (if not original) points, but no solutions? I don't really like articles that are happy to moan about aspects of the game without really providing us with anything we didn't know. The irony in all this is, Ilori is English.. I find that the most amusing aspect of the "OMG STOP BUYIN FORUNERS!" mentality everyone is starting to have.

At the end of the day we have to choose which is more important, England or the Premier League?

No one is disputing we are a poor international side, the question is why and what can be done.

The article does offer solutions, it lists all the other major leagues we're competing against and what they do to avoid this situation.

Why does it have to be England OR the premier league? La Liga has produced one of the finest teams of all time that dominated club football in recent times with Barcelona, all while having one of the greatest international sides that has won the last 3 major international trophies. Italy won the 2006 world cup, while their club sides, despite the scandals, succeeded at that level too. Germany has an amazing international team all the while two of their domestic teams contested the CL final, while Bayern had one of the best domestic seasons ever. It isn't a choice between the two, saying it is just an excuse for idleness.

And what does Sky have to do with it? All of the above leagues are incredibly wealthy. You could argue the Sky money is needed to allow clubs to stay at the same level as the other leagues and invest in their facilities.

This why I hate rose tinted glasses. Yes it's great looking back on the good days like 86, 90 etc where England were loaded with players like Lineker, Reid, Butcher....then you take them off and you have the current situation. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Rory Smith used Ilori as an example (partly because he is a Liverpool fan), but I can give you the same story with United, switch Ilori for Varela and you have the same story in many ways, because the likes of Clyne and Shaw would be so much more expensive.

Not really related to Liverpool (not anymore, at least) but in Argentina Maxi's team (Newell's Old Boys) were crowned champions about an hour ago. He excelled throughout the season, along with Scocco (who's been targeted by a few English clubs).

Not really related to Liverpool (not anymore, at least) but in Argentina Maxi's team (Newell's Old Boys) were crowned champions about an hour ago. He excelled throughout the season, along with Scocco (who's been targeted by a few English clubs).

There's a few, the likes of Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy who i was really sad to see go

would have liked to keep hold of them

I think the perfect example of overpriced English "talent" is Andy Carroll. £50m has been spent on him in 2 and a half years. How much would he cost if he was French? Probably about £6m.

P.s I remember people laughing at me when I said we would get £15m for him. (;

I think the perfect example of overpriced English "talent" is Andy Carroll. £50m has been spent on him in 2 and a half years. How much would he cost if he was French? Probably about £6m.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day Andy.

I'm wondering how he got both Liverpool and West Ham to pay him 80k a week.

I find it quite funny some west ham fans think they have got a great deal. Tbf to andy he put in some good performances during his loan spell at whu but he wasn't exactly a goal machine scoring 7 all season and as mike has said he is on what 80 k a week so I think west ham could of brought someone in better for much cheaper.

Just heard Liverpool agreed a fee with Sevilla for Luis Alberto for 6.8m, at Melwood tomorrow for medical, this true?

yeah like spanish fa blocking transfers

The Spanish FA didn't block anything, they don't deal with agents complaints. And tbf, Aspas only has himself to blame.

He basically has to pay off the fees he already owes his agency before the transfer will be granted. Seems fair enough.

It's a lot of money for Carroll again, but he was Vital to West Ham when he played... May have only scored 7 but its his presence and the chances he creates for others due to that..

At a team like Liverpool it was never going to work, but at a direct Big Sam side it suits him perfectly

On Mkhitaryan, seems like it Is going to drag on for a while due to the 3rd party complications.. It seems before this we were very close!

Aspas has signed, joining Toure and Alberto

and Mingolet will have his medical tomorrow

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]So um... When are we gunna start buying midfielders? Or are we playing the 4-1-5 formation? Or maybe we are playing two goalkeepers? Who knows!?[/FONT]

Back