The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I agree, not sure who id prefer to stay. Id much rather keep both of them and not have signed Adam....

Adam will prove invaluable in deadball situations & will benefit from having class players around him......I hope.

It is harsh on Meireles though, since he spent the majority of the season out of position, either as a trequartista or on the right wing.

It is harsh on Meireles though, since he spent the majority of the season out of position, either as a trequartista or on the right wing.

Thats a good point but it's ironic that he played his best football last season as an AM ! He doesn't like the physical contact side of the game which is a drawback playing in central midfield in the Premiership. In Portugal it's a different game altogether where players are 'protected' more by refs & the opposition tends to stand off more so he got away with it. He's too easily physically intimidated here in a CM role. I think LFC fans are split 50/50 on whether it would be OK for him to leave; on the one hand his positional & linkup play is good but he bottles out of challenges an awful lot for someone playing in his favoured position.

Can somebody please explain to me why we need to actually sell Meireles or Aquilani? Surely selling Poulson and loaning out Shelvey and/or Spearing would be enough. We need as many quality players as we can get, competition for places is something we haven't really had for years and now that our midfield finally has more than 2 quality players we automatically have to start selling?

Agree with Andy. Aquilani has looked good in pre-season and Kenny's said to be a fan - don't understand why we signed Adam when Aquilani is a better player and could easily play in front of the back 4 in an 'Alonso' role - given the fact he's more mobile he'd bring something different. We've played a 4-2-3-1 all pre-season so far, with Aquilani playing behind the striker and he's been fantastic. Though, I presume we've played this way due to Downing not being with the team nor Suarez.

If anyone leaves then it should definately be Poulsen with the likes of Shelvey and Spearing going on loan. Remember the likes of Coady [been fantastic so far in pre-season] are likely to get game time.

I agree with the last posts. If I had both Meireles and Aquilani in my sqad I wouldn't ever think of selling any of them even though Adam's been signed.

Ah well Arsenal and Chelsea were awarded more than us, just shows were better at taking them....
United do get helped tough(offsides and questionable goals, harsh booking of other teams etc. but it is happening less than before now)

Did you read the entirety of the article? Things like that only stand out because the other team loses. When things like that happen to United, nobody remembers them because United usually go on to win the match so in a sense it "renders them pointless" as it didn't effect the result of the match, but decisions still go against us just as much as they do everyone else.

Can somebody please explain to me why we need to actually sell Meireles or Aquilani? Surely selling Poulson and loaning out Shelvey and/or Spearing would be enough. We need as many quality players as we can get, competition for places is something we haven't really had for years and now that our midfield finally has more than 2 quality players we automatically have to start selling?

Spearing's back up to Lucas, Meireles/Aquilani won't be able to provide the role he does.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Ah well Arsenal and Chelsea were awarded more than us, just shows were better at taking them....
United do get helped tough(offsides and questionable goals, harsh booking of other teams etc. but it is happening less than before now)

I'd ignore it, look at the website it's from. Hardly reliable.

I guess Adam's the reliable fallback plan. Aquilani hasn't exactly had an impeccable injury record as we know. Still, I think he'd be wasted in front of the back four. Kenny could in theory recreate Benitez's Liverpool axis if they both played in the same team, of Masch-wins-ball-passes-sideways-to-Alonso-who-sprays-it-up-to-Gerrard-who-slips-in-Torres, just replacing Masch, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres with Lucas, Adam, Aquilani and Suarez respectively.

Last edited:
BelgoFoot John Chapman

Milan Jovanovic reportedly about to sign on free transfer to Anderlecht from #lfc for 100,000 euros per month. highest salary in Belgium.

Marco Bueno, U-17 World Cup winner, Pachuca Vice President confirmed the 2 clubs had a deal in place and after his holiday he would fly to Liverpool (the player) to hold talks at Anfield over a move on August 1st.

“We have already practically closed negotiations with them. They want to buy 100% of the rights.”

Brilliant little player if you get him, one of the standout 'wonderkids' in South America.

New direction for Liverpool as well in buying from the Continent rather than Spanish/Italian/French/European academies.

Then again I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid, I had high hopes from Bruna when he came from Real Madrid...

Coulibaly/Bueno/Campbell, going to be an exciting crop of young stars in the Premier League next season.

Spearing's back up to Lucas, Meireles/Aquilani won't be able to provide the role he does.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

I'd ignore it, look at the website it's from. Hardly reliable.

whatever. One bad event (T shirts) doesnt make the stats unreliable.

whatever. One bad event (T shirts) doesnt make the stats unreliable.

Plus the person who wrote the article is spot on with stats most of the time and usually doesn't write for that website.

Back