The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Well in that case SOS would be pretty useless meet if one incident makes any site any less credible..
Plus the person who wrote the article is spot on with stats most of the time and usually doesn't write for that website.
Thats down to your own narrowminded view of them as opposed to any real flaw in the stats. Not like these points havent been shown before

Strayed off topic here. I didnt read the full article because of the source. However the topic is about how the ref's dont favour United, this should be discussed on the Man United thread. If you read over my posts I agree that United arent treated as favourably as they have been with decisions in the last few years.
Its a natural fact of life that some decisions go for you and some against you. In the end everything balances out. I personally believe that no club has any advantage over another regardless of stature over the course of a season.

Now can we get back to talking about LIVERPOOL on this thread please...

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Liverpool back on Fergie's radar
Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has confirmed deadly rivals Liverpool are now 'back on the radar'.

It is now 21 years since the Reds last won a league title.

As their enemy from down the East Lancs Road were clinching a record 19th crown, Liverpool were finishing in sixth, 22 points adrift with not even a Europa League place to cheer them.

However, under Kenny Dalglish, Ferguson can sense a giant awakening from its slumber. And the Manchester United manager is prepared to concede they are a club to be wary of again.

"Liverpool went off the radar for a bit. They are now back on it," he said.

"Long term you know they are going to there."

It is the same with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City, a rival in name - Ferguson did previously claim Liverpool was the true derby for his team - now in performance too.

"Let's be honest, you hate losing to any of them," he said.

"One of those four will always be a thorn in our flesh. They are our immediate challengers. History doesn't change.

"No matter where it comes from, somewhere along the line we are going to be faced with a big challenge from one of those four great clubs."

Recent history for United is not particularly comfortable.

A summer that could have been spent basking in the glory of Liverpool being knocked off their perch has instead involved reflection on the Champions League final, and a chastening experience at Barcelona's mesmeric feet.

So clinical was the Catalans' victory it has almost been forgotten United went into the game having secured four Premier League titles out of five and were featuring in their third European Cup final in four attempts.

Source: The Echo/ LFC official website

Steve the article covers more than just United, hence why its on all the clubs' thread. Probably could have gone the Prem thread, (though i wonder is if that thread is in fact obsolete). People would do well to actually read it before it dismissing it

Let's not concentrate on what ferguson says - he seems to have an opinion about everything. I couldn't care less about his opinions of us especially as it's all mind games anyway. Personally if one of his interviews comes on SSN I switch over immeadiately as I'm sick of the sound of his voice quite frankly. I aknowledge that his mangerial record is second to none but the guy just does my head in sometimes. The only words LFC supporters need to pay attention to are those of KK & FSG as they say little & mean what they say when they say it.

Let's not concentrate on what ferguson says - he seems to have an opinion about everything. I couldn't care less about his opinions of us especially as it's all mind games anyway. Personally if one of his interviews comes on SSN I switch over immeadiately as I'm sick of the sound of his voice quite frankly. I aknowledge that his mangerial record is second to none but the guy just does my head in sometimes. The only words LFC supporters need to pay attention to are those of KK & FSG as they say little & mean what they say when they say it.

1) Not everything he saysis mind games

2 If you dont think Dalglish is one for mind games, think again

3) Echo has cherry picked, wasnt all about Liverpool either

Last edited:
Steve the article covers more than just United, hence why its on all the clubs' thread. Probably could have gone the Prem thread, (though i wonder is if that thread is in fact obsolete). People would do well to actually read it before it dismissing it

Yes, my PL thread seems to have died but hoping to rusurect it in the next day or so by posting some general news and try get the topics started. As the discussion was about multiple teams maybe post it in the PL thread? I will work my best to post more news in it but also need other members to begin to use it. Hopefully as the new season approaches more people will use it.

Calling all Liverpool fans, if you have any news about other Premier League teams or general discussion about the leagues please post in the thread below. Regular topics will be introduced as soon as im finished work.
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/english-football/73123-premier-league-thread.html

Happy birthday to Dirk Kuyt & Stewart Downing....

Today's there birthday (already the 22nd in my timezone XD XD)

I hope Dirk Kuyt isn't restless, he'll be sitting on the bench a lot next season.

Me thinks not, Kuyt is a workhorse and despite the signings I hope he can still make a big contribution. Any team would do well to utilise his workrate and determination. Fair enough he wont start as many games but he wont be confined to the bench all season :)

Me thinks not, Kuyt is a workhorse and despite the signings I hope he can still make a big contribution. Any team would do well to utilise his workrate and determination. Fair enough he wont start as many games but he wont be confined to the bench all season :)

Kuyt is Man Utd's Park.. built on work rate and sheer determination to succeed, but limited when it comes to quality. I cant seem him playing as much but having a player like him in your team is priceless when it comes to big matches, derbys etc.

Yeah, not many teams have a player like that anymore. In modern day football Kuyt and Park are a dying breed. Players think more about their next pay check than about the teams cause.

Yeah, not many teams have a player like that anymore. In modern day football Kuyt and Park are a dying breed. Players think more about their next pay check than about the teams cause.

And yet their kind is becoming more and more valuable with the kind of attacking full-backs that they're so good at nullifying becoming more and more prevalent. At Villa we're lucky enough to have statistically the best defensive winger in the Prem last season in Albrighton (which only adds to the notion of working hard for your hometown club) but as his kind gets more useful, they die out.

Yes some players like Albrighton that play for their home club do always give that extra 10% effort. However the likes of players that do that for many clubs are dying out now. For me Kuyt has been Benitez's(plural?) second best buy behind Alonso for the way he always does what he can for the team ahead of personal gain. I rate him as a better signing than Torres, Agger, Garcia, Reina, Mascherano etc... Think its time somebody that gives out those lovely white jackets with sleeves that hug you :P

Kuyt is Man Utd's Park.. built on work rate and sheer determination to succeed, but limited when it comes to quality. I cant seem him playing as much but having a player like him in your team is priceless when it comes to big matches, derbys etc.

Wouldn't say either are limited when it comes to quality. Their role is simple in execution but difficult to learn, and they play with more skill and flair than people give them credit for.

Yes some players like Albrighton that play for their home club do always give that extra 10% effort. However the likes of players that do that for many clubs are dying out now. For me Kuyt has been Benitez's(plural?) second best buy behind Alonso for the way he always does what he can for the team ahead of personal gain. I rate him as a better signing than Torres, Agger, Garcia, Reina, Mascherano etc... Think its time somebody that gives out those lovely white jackets with sleeves that hug you :P

How much was Alonso? In my opinion he is one of if not the best deep lying playmakers around. His passing quality is out of this world, he could pick a pass from any distance off.

Kuyt's whole position changed when he went to Liverpool. He was a ST in Holland then Liverpool put him out the wing. Id have loved to seen him ST alongside Torres.

How much was Alonso? In my opinion he is one of if not the best deep lying playmakers around. His passing quality is out of this world, he could pick a pass from any distance off.

Kuyt's whole position changed when he went to Liverpool. He was a ST in Holland then Liverpool put him out the wing. Id have loved to seen him ST alongside Torres.

It was an Undisclosed fee at the time but a lot of people reckoned it was about £10.5M. Bargain at that. Yes, Kuyt was a striker with Feyenoord but he still had the same work ethic. He was played as a striker for the first season or 2 but Benitez knew he would be most effective on the right where he is now. He contributes so much more to play than people give him credit for :)

This may seem a bit random, but who is more of a club legend out of Elisha Scott, Jerzy Dudek & Pepe Reina?

Kuyt's a hero. Not only tries his darndest every match, scores vital goals, an amazing athlete, he could keep going for so many more years. He's vital for the team.

Kuyt's a hero. Not only tries his darndest every match, scores vital goals, an amazing athlete, he could keep going for so many more years. He's vital for the team.

He's always the player come 90minutes looks like he could play another match. He always has a knack for coming up with important goals in big matches. What age is he now?

Back