The Manchester United Thread

Alan Curbishley actually isn't all that bad.

OK THEN FINE... WE CANT JUDGE ANY COACH IN THIS THREAD EVER. SORRY FOR NOT BEING COACHED BY EITHER OF THEM JUST TAKING STUFF FROM SOURCES FOR INFORMATION OF HOW THEY ARE AS COACHES. I FORGOT THAT IS HOW IT WORKS.

No you said that because kluivert has won the reserve league with fc twente that makes him a better coach then Steve Round me and Joel are merely trying to show you how your logic is flawed

Why does Giggs need low pressure job to learn, have you seen him walking off the pitch? The man is calm and confident as a Soviet assassin. Same with Scholes. I guess when you've won so much you just don't have anymore ***** to give.

Pretty much waste of his time spending next 2-3 years farting in the bench as Van Gaal's assistant, he needs to be in charge of something.

You want a totally unproven and inexperienced manager then expect more of the same. Simple.

You make a good point. Guardiola approves.

Guardiola_signs_contract_extension.jpg

I didn't say I wanted him now. I said I wanted him to be groomed into the role. Again, answer me how these big name coaches become big names if no big club ever takes a chance on them? Do you think Ancelotti just appeared at Milan as the manager he is now? Benietez at Valencia? Pellegrini at Villarreal? Brendan Rodgers?

No you said that because kluivert has won the reserve league with fc twente that makes him a better coach then Steve Round me and Joel are merely trying to show you how your logic is flawed

I also said which you conveniently ignored that Thierry Henry has praised him as a coach as well. Isn't that enough? I couldn't see him praising Steve Round.

You make a good point. Guardiola approves.

Guardiola_signs_contract_extension.jpg

I didn't say I wanted him now. I said I wanted him to be groomed into the role. Again, answer me how these big name coaches become big names if no big club ever takes a chance on them? Do you think Ancelotti just appeared at Milan as the manager he is now? Benietez at Valencia? Pellegrini at Villarreal? Brendan Rodgers?

That's exactly what I want to happen with Giggs in scenario 1 but I also want us to consider Klopp in 2/3 years when the next manager goes... if it is that short span of time of course.

But if Giggs can prove himself within the club in a lesser capacity he can defo be contender no,2.... but in my opinion Klopp should still be the priority. Jeez take a chill pill and please calm down.

I also said which you conveniently ignored that Thierry Henry has praised him as a coach as well. Isn't that enough? I couldn't see him praising Steve Round.

and do you think that no player who has been coached by round would feel the same? or does that not matter because Thierry henry said it?

and do you think that no player who has been coached by round would feel the same? or does that not matter because Thierry henry said it?

Thierry Henry is a lot more credible to a coach like Kluivert than most other people. Especially when you consider the type of coach he is as well.

That's exactly what I want to happen with Giggs in scenario 1 but I also want us to consider Klopp in 2/3 years when the next manager goes... if it is that short span of time of course.

But if Giggs can prove himself within the club in a lesser capacity he can defo be contender no,2.... but in my opinion Klopp should still be the priority. Jeez take a chill pill and please calm down.

Why would you aim for one manager years down the line, it's hard enough to predict months down the line in football. We have Giggs, someone who loves and knows the club more than pretty much anyone on the planet, ready to be groomed for the role, and you wanna throw him to the wayside because you're pitching a tent for Klopp. If the club think Giggs has the ability - which is the key assumption, we're assuming that the club will see potential in him, not just hire him for sentimentality - then give me him over any other manager in the world.

And keep skirting the question bro. Maybe you can show me your magical garden where your big reputation managers grow on trees.

Thierry Henry is a lot more credible to a coach like Kluivert than most other people. Especially when you consider the type of coach he is as well.

Zlatan said Pep sucks, doesnt make it true.

Why would you aim for one manager years down the line, it's hard enough to predict months down the line in football. We have Giggs, someone who loves and knows the club more than pretty much anyone on the planet, ready to be groomed for the role, and you wanna throw him to the wayside because you're pitching a tent for Klopp. If the club think Giggs has the ability - which is the key assumption, we're assuming that the club will see potential in him, not just hire him for sentimentality - then give me him over any other manager in the world.

Considering certain sections of the board thought Moyes had the ability, this worries me. I still think it would be a big gamble and when you consider the size of the club it has to be weighed up with the pros and cons.

Just don't like the idea of someone who has never managed being given the full time job.

And keep skirting the question bro. Maybe you can show me your magical garden where your big reputation managers grow on trees.

All the managers you mentioned have still had experience of managing... Rodgers... didn't just dive into Liverpool as a manager without the experience beforehand.

Zlatan said Pep sucks, doesnt make it true.

Got big reservations on Pep myself... I think Bayern looked better under Heynckes last year particularly against strong opponents and sometimes he over-complicates things.

when exactly was henry coached by kluivert to make this statement I mean I have only searched through a few pages of google but all I can find is a role at twente, NEC Nijmegan, Brisbane roar and the national team when did henry and kluivert cross paths?

Abramovich did the same with Guardiola. Aggressively pursued him towards the end of his tenure at Barcelona, when murmuring were circulating that he wanted to leave. But Guardiola didn't want to talk to anybody - not even his agent, who he forbade from talking to anyone who wanted to get through him to Pep - and stayed distant.

Then of course Di Matteo was sacked, Ben?tez became interim manager, and Guardiola disappeared for a year, and when he came back, signed for Bayern instead. Fortunately for Abramovich, Mourinho became available and returned to Chelsea. Sometimes in football, no matter how much you try, plan and prepare, things won't always go your way.

That was from Guillem Balague's biography on Guardiola.

when exactly was henry coached by kluivert to make this statement I mean I have only searched through a few pages of google but all I can find is a role at twente, NEC Nijmegan, Brisbane roar and the national team when did henry and kluivert cross paths?

When all the LVG rumours were coming few days back I saw it amongst that.. I'll see if I can re-find the article.

All the managers you mentioned have still had experience of managing... Rodgers... didn't just dive into Liverpool as a manager without the experience beforehand.

So? They all made gigantic leaps in terms of club stature. Your criticism against Moyes was that he was never proven at a high level. You said Giggs should prove himself. Since he'll never make it to a level higher than Moyes was managing at without being at United's level, in your eyes he'll never be proven enough to manage United, ergo Giggs never manages United. I was making the not so subtle point that all these big name managers have at some point been given a chance by a big club, something which you're so steadfastly against. I can give you examples of more than Pep who've gone straight in at a big club, if you like too?

Got big reservations on Pep myself... I think Bayern looked better under Heynckes last year particularly against strong opponents and sometimes he over-complicates things.

Meh, and what? Mike. and I spent about two months debating Pep vs Mourinho (I pick the latter. I'm still right, dammit) but anyone can see that even if Pep isn't the best manager in the world, he's still really really good. He might not be as good as Heynckes at Bayern, but he's still a fantastic manager, and Zlatan's wrong.

So? They all made gigantic leaps in terms of club stature. Your criticism against Moyes was that he was never proven at a high level. You said Giggs should prove himself. Since he'll never make it to a level higher than Moyes was managing at without being at United's level, in your eyes he'll never be proven enough to manage United, ergo Giggs never manages United. I was making the not so subtle point that all these big name managers have at some point been given a chance by a big club, something which you're so steadfastly against. I can give you examples of more than Pep who've gone straight in at a big club, if you like too?

I know there is example of managers who have done it before and blah blah. But our club is in a tender position and I feel if another big choice goes wrong it could set us back a decade.

Perhaps giving LVG a chance to rebuild for 3 or 4 years and then getting Giggs alongside him as an assistant would be the best option if he would take it.

I do see your point though, Giggs would have a hard job proving his worth at another club to earn it like that, but still it's a big risk for us.

Back