The Manchester United Thread

Why does Giggs need low pressure job to learn, have you seen him walking off the pitch? The man is calm and confident as a Soviet assassin. Same with Scholes. I guess when you've won so much you just don't have anymore ***** to give.

Pretty much waste of his time spending next 2-3 years farting in the bench as Van Gaal's assistant, he needs to be in charge of something.

I guess you can still benefit from the experience, irrespective of who it's from. Be it Ferguson, Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Klopp (etc). Besides, he's never really sat next to any of these men in the dugout, observing the game and feeding off the information circulated around him from other, more experienced coaches.

Most of it has been down to advice handed down to him when he was/still is playing. One or two years as assistant manager could give him a very valuable perspective heading into the bigger, more demanding role of becoming the manager of a football club.

Meh, and what? Mike. and I spent about two months debating Pep vs Mourinho (I pick the latter. I'm still right, dammit) but anyone can see that even if Pep isn't the best manager in the world, he's still really really good. He might not be as good as Heynckes at Bayern, but he's still a fantastic manager, and Zlatan's wrong.

I don't think the Bayern fans will be saying :Meh, and what?

If they go out in the semi - final.

I know there is example of managers who have done it before and blah blah. But our club is in a tender position and I feel if another big choice goes wrong it could set us back a decade.

Perhaps giving LVG a chance to rebuild for 3 or 4 years and then getting Giggs alongside him as an assistant would be the best option if he would take it.

I do see your point though, Giggs would have a hard job proving his worth at another club to earn it like that, but still it's a big risk for us.

That's why I said we should wait. I'm assuming that van Gaal will have stabilised things in 4 years (if he doesn't then we'll be ****** again anyway), Giggs will have learnt, and then he can come in.

That's why I said we should wait. I'm assuming that van Gaal will have stabilised things in 4 years (if he doesn't then we'll be ****** again anyway), Giggs will have learnt, and then he can come in.

Yeh 100% have to wait, if he's made the manager now it will be a bigger gamble than Moyes.

But I don't think I can see Van Gaal coming in and not bringing Kluivert with him as his assistant. Which kind of leaves Giggs in the wilderness, hence where him managing somewhere else would be beneficial so we can take a good look at him ^^

Yeh 100% have to wait, if he's made the manager now it will be a bigger gamble than Moyes.

But I don't think I can see Van Gaal coming in and not bringing Kluivert with him as his assistant. Which kind of leaves Giggs in the wilderness, hence where him managing somewhere else would be beneficial so we can take a good look at him ^^

I doubt the club would allow him to get rid of Giggs, and I doubt he'd want to rile the fans by doing it.

This is great now in hindsight.. but it should have been Giggs after Fergie (ala Barca, Liverpool bootroom culture). Had THAT failed then get in an experienced pro - Van Gaal, Mourinho, Pep. Sadly now Utd are stuck between a rock and a hard place due mainly to SAF's dominance of the club.

Of the average 76000 at OT every week how many dreamt of Moyes taking over?? One... SAF. Keano was right, "the ego of the man".

Give Giggs the job with his current interim staff AND Mike Phelan and/or Rene and/or Roy Keane alongside.

All the managers you mentioned have still had experience of managing... Rodgers... didn't just dive into Liverpool as a manager without the experience beforehand.

Rodgers had the experience of getting a team out the play offs, then solidifying them in the top league. Other than that, he failed at Reading.

I'd rather a manager who has a high ceiling with little experience, rather than loads of experience who's already hit his mid-level ceiling.

Rodgers had the experience of getting a team out the play offs, then solidifying them in the top league. Other than that, he failed at Reading.

I'd rather a manager who has a high ceiling with little experience, rather than loads of experience who's already hit his mid-level ceiling.

My last comment on it now, I agree but Giggs has 0 experience as a manager. Someone with experience now, Giggs possibly later.

The main thing that giggs has going for him being given the AM role, is Van Gaal's precedent picking Mourinho, against the boards wishes at Barca coz he knew the players better.

My last comment on it now, I agree but Giggs has 0 experience as a manager. Someone with experience now, Giggs possibly later.

for which LVG is the only realistic option that I can see. Who else? De Boer will probably go Barca, or stay. Who else? Klopp's not happening, Simeone too.

Rodgers had no real career in football. Neither did Mourinho. Of course they needed years and years of career at various entry-level positions around the club, otherwise they would be about as qualified as you and me. ****, I played Championship Manager since early 90s, so I would probably be more qualified.

Comparing these two to someone like Guardiola who had lifetime of experience in top level football, is pointless.

Last edited:
Rodgers had no real career in football. Neither did Mourinho. Of course they needed years and years of career at various entry-level positions around the club, otherwise they would be about as qualified as you and me. ****, I played Championship Manager since early 90s, so I would probably be more qualified.

Comparing these two to someone like Guardiola who had lifetime of experience in top level football, is pointless.

i'm not comparing them, jut saying Giggs could well be one of the best managers about if given the chance.

Managers thrown in at the deep end can often, and will often, work very well. My point is that trust is one of the most important aspects of hiring a manager. Just because Moyes failed miraculously, doesn't mean you shouldn't try throwing managers in at the deep end.

Interesting on Sunday Supplement this morning non of the journos chose Van Gaal to be next manager. Was 2 votes for Giggs and 2 votes for Carlo.

Micheal Keane had a really impressive game yesterday for Blackburn. Was great in the air and assured with the ball at his feet. Toped of by a headed goal.

Interesting on Sunday Supplement this morning non of the journos chose Van Gaal to be next manager. Was 2 votes for Giggs and 2 votes for Carlo.

Who cares what they think, Van Gaal has a track record for rebuilding and to be quite honest there isn't a better manager in the game at doing it.

This is why I knew there would be a bandwagon of fans for Giggs as manager if we won just 1 game..... it's ridiculous.

Carlo Ancelotti isn't available.

Who cares what they think, Van Gaal has a track record for rebuilding and to be quite honest there isn't a better manager in the game at doing it.

This is why I knew there would be a bandwagon of fans for Giggs as manager if we won just 1 game..... it's ridiculous.

Carlo Ancelotti isn't available.
You will be surprised how much weight journos have at influencing clubs/board members and fans also can do this. Carlo might not be available atm but if they get hammered by Bayern don't be supprised if he gets sack. Giggs has more than enough football experience at the top level, has been at UTD since the age of 14 and knows the running of the club inside and out. Few players have had success at going into management after very little coaching or managers experience, so why cant Giggs do a great job aslong as he has Woody dealing well with transfers there should not be a problem. On a different subject Daehli is going to be quality :)

Such clusterfuck in the last 6-7 pages.

Yeh the next appointment is so pivotal for United. This is why I hope the Glazers won't take any risk and let Fergie/ majority of United fans have any influence because Giggs is 1000000% not the right choice now.

Back