The Manchester United Thread

You will be surprised how much weight journos have at influencing clubs/board members and fans also can do this. Carlo might not be available atm but if they get hammered by Bayern don't be supprised if he gets sack. Giggs has more than enough football experience at the top level, has been at UTD since the age of 14 and knows the running of the club inside and out. Few players have had success at going into management after very little coaching or managers experience, so why cant Giggs do a great job aslong as he has Woody dealing well with transfers there should not be a problem. On a different subject Daehli is going to be quality :)

Do you really think Giggs is the best candidate for a United manager now? I really am worried how silly United fans are being. One more bad appointment, one more bad summer and I think we're screwed for the next decade.

Yeh the next appointment is so pivotal for United. This is why I hope the Glazers won't take any risk and let Fergie/ majority of United fans have any influence because Giggs is 1000000% not the right choice now.
I would agree. But still would be happy bunny if Giggs stayed for a season.

Do you really think Giggs is the best candidate for a United manager now? I really am worried how silly United fans are being. One more bad appointment, one more bad summer and I think we're screwed for the next decade.
I maybe don't think he is the best candidate for the job but right up there imo.

moyes is being stalked by the media in florida.... feel sorry for him.

Hope he takes a break and comes back to another european job.

You will be surprised how much weight journos have at influencing clubs/board members and fans also can do this. Carlo might not be available atm but if they get hammered by Bayern don't be supprised if he gets sack. Giggs has more than enough football experience at the top level, has been at UTD since the age of 14 and knows the running of the club inside and out. Few players have had success at going into management after very little coaching or managers experience, so why cant Giggs do a great job aslong as he has Woody dealing well with transfers there should not be a problem. On a different subject Daehli is going to be quality :)

No.. Just no. I'm a die-hard fan of Giggs and Scholes, Scholes even more so as a player. But directly as a manager is not the way for Giggs right now. A manager is not just managing the team right tactically, during the game, and Giggs is not even established in that itself right now. Yesterday was an anamoly, players were so happy to be rid of Moyes, and being given the chance to attack, that they tried their 150%. Maintaining a team throughout the season is what a manager does, and Giggs is as yet unproven. And while he is a legend to us, he has no pulling power as a manager outside the club. That could cause some issues with transfers. And the true test of tactical nous comes during the lean and difficult part where you have to get it spot on, we don't yet know if Giggs can do that. Also, the contacts that Giggs has atm, is minimal compared to the rest.

Oh and Woodward? Seriously? If it was David Gill, heck, yes, it could have been a possibility. Woodward is all set to do a ****** or PSG and look only at big names, you atleast need a manager with his own thoughts regarding the transfer market. Giggs as yet lacks experience there, and leaving Woody run untethered is filling me with trepidation. We'll just become another big spending club under him :\

So, atm, no, not Giggs. But, ideally, Giggs should be AM to van Gaal, or atleast start managing reserves. 3 years down the line, he can come in, with more knowledge of the nous of the managerial post and take over.

Glazers won't be happy unless a top-top finish occurs. It is too much to expect Giggs to be able to do that in his first season in charge. And I for one, don't want to see Giggs fired by the likes of Glazers. Hells no! :\ He won't be given time, which is what he needs if he takes over the team now. Instead, van Gaal building a base for the team and Giggs in coaching means he'll be studying under an experienced manager to take over a team which does not require total rehauling..

But definitely, Giggs should be our Manager after van Gaal. Not Klopp, screw him. He doesn't want to move, it's his loss. We're Manchester United, managers come running for the job, not us running behind Klopp now, nor running behind him 4 years later. Atm, our transfer and manager search reeks of desperation. We need our old arrogance back more, imo.. The atmosphere that'll be there when Giggs takes over should be electric. If you add Scholes, Neville, Neville and **** to the coaching list, and maybe Beckham as DoF (what a pull for transfers), it'll be out of this world.

Last edited:
Ok I take everyones points! But what is to say the players will be any different under LVG,Carlo,Klopp etc than they were under Moyes? You have to remember players have been there so long and only know how to play the certain way under Fergie winning things. A lot of the players might not be happy again with another manager trying to change things!

Ok I take everyones points! But what is to say the players will be any different under LVG,Carlo,Klopp etc than they were under Moyes? You have to remember players have been there so long and only know how to play the certain way under Fergie winning things. A lot of the players might not be happy again with another manager trying to change things!

In that vein, what makes you think it'll be different comparitively with Giggs? He knows everybody well, and knows the in and out of the club exceptionally well, yes, but there's also the possibility of him becoming the punching bag if team starts to under-perform. And tbh, Giggs doesn't yet have the autocratic authority that Ferguson had. It'll be different players trying to get across different points - I'm just painting a scenario, mind you.

Moyes was never able to get the players on his side. I'm not doubting his ability as a manager, but he didn't have the dominant attitude you need with the job. He wasn't an autocrat, which was what was needed to get the players to play for him. Plus, him favouring certain players, sticking with same old tactics and not trying to (or able to) improve there, bad bad team talks, horrible press conferences and praising of rivals meant that he never would have the undoubted and unconditional support of the players and fans.

Moyes will always be a what-if scenario for me. He would have been good for us, playing good football, and a penchant for developing youth well. He looked over-whelmed by the OT hotseat. I'm always left wondering if it would have been a 'what-if' scenario had Moyes actually taken a year's sabbatical as planned, and then come to manage United. Probably would have been much, much better//

The same need not necessarily be the case for a new manager. van Gaal in particular, is autocratic, and brooks no backtalk against himself. And probably considers noone sacred (except van Persie). It could work out positively, and observing van Gaal could be a good thing for Giggs.

In that vein, what makes you think it'll be different comparitively with Giggs? He knows everybody well, and knows the in and out of the club exceptionally well, yes, but there's also the possibility of him becoming the punching bag if team starts to under-perform. And tbh, Giggs doesn't yet have the autocratic authority that Ferguson had. It'll be different players trying to get across different points - I'm just painting a scenario, mind you.

Moyes was never able to get the players on his side. I'm not doubting his ability as a manager, but he didn't have the dominant attitude you need with the job. He wasn't an autocrat, which was what was needed to get the players to play for him. Plus, him favouring certain players, sticking with same old tactics and not trying to (or able to) improve there, bad bad team talks, horrible press conferences and praising of rivals meant that he never would have the undoubted and unconditional support of the players and fans.

Moyes will always be a what-if scenario for me. He would have been good for us, playing good football, and a penchant for developing youth well. He looked over-whelmed by the OT hotseat. I'm always left wondering if it would have been a 'what-if' scenario had Moyes actually taken a year's sabbatical as planned, and then come to manage United. Probably would have been much, much better//

The same need not necessarily be the case for a new manager. van Gaal in particular, is autocratic, and brooks no backtalk against himself. And probably considers noone sacred (except van Persie). It could work out positively, and observing van Gaal could be a good thing for Giggs.

Brilliant post and thoughts. Well-explained and it's exactly right, I agree with all of it.

At the end of the day no one knows who is the right man, what the players will do under said man. Its just a personal preference between us fans, who at the end of the day just want what is best for the club!

At the end of the day no one knows who is the right man, what the players will do under said man. Its just a personal preference between us fans, who at the end of the day just want what is best for the club!
I can tell you who's not the right man for United seat.

Mike that's nonsense and you know it. Steve Round is a quality coach and assistant manager? You have low standards for a United coach.

Also Van Gaal's would be more experienced, Phil Neville has little so therefore isn't a quality coach at all and a Chris Woods well... not sure what he's like so won't comment but Eric Steele had no reason to go anyway.

Then you somehow forgot the other 2 "quality coaches" you class them as who Moyes brought who have now gladly vacated along with him. Steve Round and Jimmy Lumsden are more a Norwich standard than United.

Of course I ****** complained... at the time we actually had some great coaches before Moyes decided to replace them with a much lesser standard, refer back to the names I mentioned above.. Lumsden and Round hahaha.

I don't want a manager to bring in the coaching staff if they are terrible for a United standard. Van Gaal's obviously would be a lot better standard than Moyes's.
longest bit of rot I've ever heard from you. Last week you had no idea how how van gaal worked, so how can you even make any of those claims. What's nonsense the way you contradict yourself with every point

well, happy days again!

you could say Gerrard let the title...SLIP.

Ok, i'm leaving.

I would make a longer point but I'm on my phone and I see you have just been dismantled by everyone on this thread. As an aside giggs doesn't need a low pressure job, what he needs is to watch an experienced manager from the other side of the white line doing it, very closely. Van Gaal is near perfect for that.

longest bit of rot I've ever heard from you. Last week you had no idea how how van gaal worked, so how can you even make any of those claims. What's nonsense the way you contradict yourself with every point

The same way anyone else finds out about his coaching staff... the internet oh and no offence to Moyes or anything but I'm pretty sure a manager who is currently in charge of Holland has a lot of connections with much higher-class coaches.

It's called common sense mostly Mike, if you want to believe Moyes staff was good enough then fine... it's a shame they didn't last.

ok does any1 think moyes would have come good given time well this is open to every 1 bar zzeezzy cos even if he walked on water he would still hate him

No.. Just no. I'm a die-hard fan of Giggs and Scholes, Scholes even more so as a player. But directly as a manager is not the way for Giggs right now. A manager is not just managing the team right tactically, during the game, and Giggs is not even established in that itself right now. Yesterday was an anamoly, players were so happy to be rid of Moyes, and being given the chance to attack, that they tried their 150%. Maintaining a team throughout the season is what a manager does, and Giggs is as yet unproven. And while he is a legend to us, he has no pulling power as a manager outside the club. That could cause some issues with transfers. And the true test of tactical nous comes during the lean and difficult part where you have to get it spot on, we don't yet know if Giggs can do that. Also, the contacts that Giggs has atm, is minimal compared to the rest.

Oh and Woodward? Seriously? If it was David Gill, heck, yes, it could have been a possibility. Woodward is all set to do a ****** or PSG and look only at big names, you atleast need a manager with his own thoughts regarding the transfer market. Giggs as yet lacks experience there, and leaving Woody run untethered is filling me with trepidation. We'll just become another big spending club under him :\

So, atm, no, not Giggs. But, ideally, Giggs should be AM to van Gaal, or atleast start managing reserves. 3 years down the line, he can come in, with more knowledge of the nous of the managerial post and take over.

Glazers won't be happy unless a top-top finish occurs. It is too much to expect Giggs to be able to do that in his first season in charge. And I for one, don't want to see Giggs fired by the likes of Glazers. Hells no! :\ He won't be given time, which is what he needs if he takes over the team now. Instead, van Gaal building a base for the team and Giggs in coaching means he'll be studying under an experienced manager to take over a team which does not require total rehauling..

But definitely, Giggs should be our Manager after van Gaal. Not Klopp, screw him. He doesn't want to move, it's his loss. We're Manchester United, managers come running for the job, not us running behind Klopp now, nor running behind him 4 years later. Atm, our transfer and manager search reeks of desperation. We need our old arrogance back more, imo.. The atmosphere that'll be there when Giggs takes over should be electric. If you add Scholes, Neville, Neville and **** to the coaching list, and maybe Beckham as DoF (what a pull for transfers), it'll be out of this world.
100%. Part romance and history, part ruthless pragmatism. Like the United of old. Forget waiting and hoping, get ahead of the game. You have 4 players who have the building blocks to be managers and coaches. Clubs would kill for what they can bring, don't waste it it.

ok does any1 think moyes would have come good given time well this is open to every 1 bar zzeezzy cos even if he walked on water he would still hate him

No because the guy was near burn out and he was considering taking a break. If he had of had a break before taking the job it may of been a different outcome.. but honestly he just shouldn't of been chosen. Think of any other top 4 clubs in the major leagues.. would they of chose Moyes? I highly doubt it.

Back